How Does It Feel

Guest Kris10na

Thank you! I hope you have a great holiday ilm :D

I've got two chapters ready to post:

Chapter 3

The sun was shining from a perfect blue sky. People filled the beach and the areas around; people going for a morning run, students on their way to school and workers on their way to work. Kirsty stood in front of a grey car, Mr. Bartlett’s car. She had met him in the Diner as she waited for her usual morning coffee and they started talking.

Kirsty hadn't really talked to Mr. Bartlett, about something other than work, since they first met after she came back to the Bay. That day when she almost crashed her car into his and then had a go at him before realizing who he was.

"Miss Sutherland!" he had said, surprised.

She had stopped screaming at him instantly and bended her head, vastly embarrassed.

"It's actually Mrs. Phillips now," she had managed to get out of her mouth.

"Phillips?" he had asked. "Did you say Phillips?"

"Yea," Kirsty had replied. "I'm married."

Mr. Bartlett had looked rather confused. "Ah! Right."

Kirsty remembered the puzzled look in his face when he said that. This morning he came smilingly into the Diner.

"Good morning Mrs. Phillips," he said.

"Ah, good morning!" Kirsty smiled back at him. "Nice to see you remember the name of your secretary."

"How can I forget that? A coffee, please Leah?"he said as Leah passed them.

"Do you want to drink your coffee here before work? I can give you a lift if you want!"

"Yea, yea okay!"

They found a table and sat down.

"You know, I'm usually pretty good with names, but it's not that easy when people go marrying behind my back!"

Kirsty laughed a little.

"What did you say your husband's name was?"

"I don't think I said, but it's Kane."

"Ah, Kane!" Mr. Bartlett said, as if he knew Kane.

"You know him?"

"No, I don't know him, but he did go to Summer Bay High, right?"

"Yea, he did, for a while."

"And his brother? Wasn't it Scott? I remember him."

"Mhm." Kirsty didn't like the thought of Kane's family. All they ever did was ruining Kane's life.

"Where did they live? Kane and his family?”

"Dawson Hill," Kirsty answered. "Close to Yabbie Creek."

"Right. Can I ask why you and Kane moved from Summer Bay three years ago?"

Kirsty looked unsure and Bartlett continued:

"I know it's probably none of my business, but I do want to know so I don't say the wrong thing."

Kirsty started talking about what happened before she and Kane had to leave Summer Bay. She didn't feel comfortable talking about it and was glad when this guy had showed up, wanting a word with Bartlett. Mr. Bartlett had told Kirsty to wait by his car and so she did.

They had been talking about it for days now. Apparently one of the guards had told one of the prisoners and the rumour had spread. It seemed like everyone knew about what was called 'The Big Move'. What Kane had heard about the rumours was that they were going to rebuild some parts and renovate other parts of the prison. As a consequence of that, nearly all of the prisoners were going to be moved. As far as Kane was concerned no one had actually said the stuff about the move, but you didn't really need a bright head to work that out.

Everyone was just waiting for their suspicions to be confirmed and it seemed like the time was here as they had been told to attend a meeting this morning. Kane wasn't sure if he really wanted to move. Moving to a new prison wouldn't really make things much better. He still had to be locked up. On the other hand, at least the prison he would be moved to had to be in a better shape than this one. Hopefully there would not only be cold water in the water-tap there. He began to wonder where they would move him. Would it be closer to Kirsty and Ollie? Not that it mattered at all. He was stuck prison for 5 more years, at least.

Mondays and Thursdays were the busiest days at work, but on Wednesdays there weren't much to do at all. Normally Kirsty would tidy up her desk and the rest of the room. Then she often nicked to the Diner to buy coffees, but she didn't really feel like doing that today, after her argument with Irene a couple of days ago. Instead she began to organize the files on her computer, something Jai taught her last time they had computer-classes.

She had already reorganized her desk twice, but there was still nothing to do. Loud voices and laughs from outside caught her ears and she went to the window to see who it was. Apparently some of the students were having their P.E. class outside today. Kirsty couldn't see the teacher anywhere and came to the conclusion that with their teacher gone the students did whatever they wanted to do, which included running around, screaming and laughing. Then there was a knock on the door behind Kirsty and it opened.

Annie's head showed up from behind the door. Then the door was pushed open and in the doorway there were three people; Annie, Jai and Mr. Burnett, the P.E. teacher. Jai had his arms wrapped around Annie and Mr. Burnett's necks and he jumped on one foot as they walked into the room.

"Oh, what's going on?" Kirsty asked, pulling out a chair for Jai to sit on.

"Jai hurt his ankle. I think it might be broken," Annie answered, worn-out from supporting Jai all the way into Kirsty's office.

"Relax Annie. I'm fine!" Jai said.

"Do you mind if I have a look at it?" Kirsty asked.

"Yea," Jai said. He seemed like he didn't care one way or the other.

As Kirsty bended his ankle he tried to keep a brave face, but it didn't last for long.

"Okay!" Mr. Burnett said. "I think you need to see a doctor!"

"Please!" Jai argued. "I'm fine!"

"No, you're not!" Mr. Burnett decided."Do you mind taking him?" he asked, applying to Kirsty.

Just then Mr. Bartlett came to see what all the noise was. He agreed to let Kirsty take Jai to the doctor and said that she could have the rest of the day off. Kirsty didn't argue with him on that.

"...fatal consequences."

The police officer was still going on about the move and Kane's ears were tired. The officer had warned them several times about the consequences facing the prisoners trying to escape, and Kane knew this wasn't the last time. They were all being moved to different prisons along the east-coast and the moving started next week.

After a few more minutes of endless talking they were free to go. The police officer had said that they were putting up lists telling the prisoners who's going to be moved where and when. On the way back to his cell Kane walked past on of them. His fingers ran along the list of names.

'M, n, o p. There!' The finger ran slower now. 'Palmer, Pascal, Pendler, Pham, Phillips! Phillips, Kane.' His finger ran horizontally along the line. His name, then his prisoner number and the date of the move. 'Friday 29th of August'. The last bit of information was the name of the prison he was moving to.

Yabbie Creek Prison!'

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 4

Martha walked through the door to the Diner. Irene stood behind the counter looking up as she always did when a new customer arrived. When she met Martha’s sad and tired eyes she smiled, a little smile that said ‘I’m sorry about your loss and I’m here for you’. Martha smiled back as he headed towards Irene.

“Hi darl! How are you today?”

”A bit better thanks. And thank you for the cheese cake, it was lovely.”

“Glad you liked it darl. What can I get you?”

“Just a muffin please”

“Coming in a tick love. Just sit down and I’ll bring it over to you” Irene said as she headed towards the kitchen.

Martha headed towards a table near the window. As she reached for the chair to sit down, she suddenly felt really dizzy. She grabbed the back of the chair, trying to sit down on it but that wasn’t easy as her whole body was staggering and shivering. Just when she thought she was going to fall, two strong arms grabbed her and pulled her down at the chair. Martha exhaled slowly and when most of the dizziness was gone she looked up to see who the mystery helper was. She was met by two wide open, worried, brown eyes. She didn’t recognize the person at first, but after a few seconds she knew that she had seen the eyes before, but then they were wet by tears.

“Are you okay?” the person spoke.

“Um, yes” Martha managed to answer.

Martha couldn’t by any chance remember the young lady’s name. But then she did. She was the woman staying in the caravan park. Her son was the cute little boy with the blonde curls. She had seen them down at the beach. It was Kirsty!

“Are you sure?” Kirsty asked.”

“Yes, I’m fine now. Thank you”

Kirsty didn’t know what to do. She stood there helplessly, trying to think. ‘What do you do in a situation like this?’ She wanted to comfort the young woman, but didn’t know how. She was used to comforting Kane and Ollie, but they were her husband and her son. Could you put you arm around a stranger? The woman had dark hair that went just a few inches below her shoulders. Kirsty could see she was a beautiful woman even though today her skin was pale and her eyes tired. She guessed the woman was about the same age as her, but she couldn’t possible guess what had made her so tired and sad. Kirsty had to decide whether to comfort her or walk away. She knew that she would have preferred it if someone comforted her. Now that Kane wasn’t here, she missed someone laying an arm around her shoulder.

Kirsty didn’t look completely satisfied with the answer Martha had given. She stood there staring out in the room, like she was in deep thoughts. She didn’t even notice Martha looking at her. Then it seemed as though she made up her mind about something. Martha looked down. Then Kirsty sat down at the chair next to Martha’s chair and put her hand at Martha’s shoulder.

It felt weird putting her arm around someone other than Kane or Ollie. She felt almost clumsy, but she couldn’t back out now. She desperately tried to think of something to say.

The touch of her arm was a bit wary; she obviously wasn’t used to comforting strangers.

“Do you want me to…,” she began. “Can I get you a glass of water?” she asked politely.

“Um, yes that would be good,” Martha answered.

Kirsty rose up from the chair, squeezed Martha’s shoulder lightly and headed towards the counter.

“Irene can I get a glass of water?” she asked pointing her head in Martha’s direction.

“Yes sure love.”

While she was waiting for Irene, Kirsty wondered what could make Martha so upset. She had heard people talking about her the last couple of days, but she didn’t really know what had happened. Irene came back with a muffin and a glass of water.

“Thanks,” Kirsty said, smiled and walked back to Martha.

She put the muffin and the water on the table in front of Martha before sitting down at the same chair as before. She didn’t lay her arm around her shoulder; though she did give her hand a touch as to say ‘I’m here if you want to talk’. Martha sat still for a moment before she very slowly picked up the glass and drank some water. She then looked at Kirsty and their eyes met for an instant.

Martha looked down. She took another sip of the water before putting the glass back on the table. The dizziness was all gone now, but it had made her really tired. She definitely had to wait a while before she headed home. Kirsty was still sitting next to her. Martha wanted to say something to her, but she didn’t know where to begin. She didn’t know a lot about her. She knew that she was married to a Kane, that was now in jail, and that they had a son, Oliver.

Kirsty searched her head to find something to say. She didn’t know the full story about Martha, so what if she said the wrong thing? What if she said something that would upset her? Maybe if she just asked something random so that they could start talking. But what?

“I’m sorry” Martha said.

“What? Why?” Kirsty asked.

“I’m sorry I fell over so you had to catch me.”

“Oh, that’s fine!” Kirsty said.”

“How is your son? Oliver, is that his name?” Martha asked.

“Yeah, yeah it’s Oliver, Ollie for short. And he’s great! He loves living here and he loves the beach.”

“That’s not hard to understand hey?”

“No, you’re right. When I lived her 3 years ago I used to go to the beach all the time!” Kirsty smiled.

“You’ve lived here before?” Martha asked.”

“Yeah I did! I arrived with my family 8 years ago and then left with Kane, my husband. That’s why I know Irene so well. Kane and I used to live with her. And Tasha and Kane, they were like brother and sister. She meant so much too him.”

“You knew Tasha?”

“Yeah, she lived with Irene too. How’s that?”

“She was one of my best friends before she left with Robbie.”

“Oh, really?” Kirsty laughed.”

“Yeah, the world’s not that big. Especially not here in Summer Bay.”

“Yeah, you can say that again.”

They both laughed.

Kirsty and Martha walked along the beach. They decided they could do with some fresh air.

“So where did you live before you lived with Irene?”

“Well, my family and I lived in the Caravan Park and my family continued to live there after I moved in with Kane. Well my sisters and my dad did. He actually married Beth.”

“He did? So she was your...” Martha paused to think “step-mother then?”

“Yeah, she was and after my whole family left the Bay, she was there for me. She really meant a lot to me.”

“She was a wonderful lady. It was so sad when she died.”

“Yeah, I can just imagine.”

They walked in silence for a while before Kirsty said something.

“Where do you live then?”

“Right now I’m living with my husband Jack in the house next to Tony and Rachel. It’s the house that Beth and the kids used to live in.”

“Right, I know where that is. And Jack, is he the cop?”

“He is the cop” Martha said.

Kirsty looked at Martha and they both smiled.

“How long have you been together?”

“Um, just a couple of months this time.”

“This time?”

“Yeah, we dated a few years back and we were actually married too.”

“Wow, what happened?”

“I guess we weren’t ready for marriage so we broke up. Then I met some other guys and did some stupid things. Jack married another woman, but she died and yeah, it’s a long story. In the end we knew we were meant to be. I love him so much.”

Martha smiled like she always did when she was thinking about Jack.

“When did you and Kane marry?” Martha asked.

Kirsty laughed. “We married when I was 17.”

“Wow, that was early.”

“Yeah, but we really wanted it, and the wedding day was perfect even though it was just me and Kane.”

“What? You have to tell me all about this.”

The day was heading towards evening and Kirsty and Martha were still at the beach. When they started talking, the time had just disappeared and before they knew it the sun was near the horizon and it was getting colder. They sat down really close to keep each other warm. The talking stopped for a while as they both watched the sun. It was deep yellow nearly orange and it was colouring the sky in pink and pale orange. Kirsty always loved the sun when it was like this and how it gave everything a golden touch.

Martha was thinking about the day that had passed. She and Kirsty had really connected and she was just so easy to talk to. Suddenly a gust of wind blew across the patch where they were sitting and it caused Martha to get chills and she gave away shivering sound.

Kirsty looked at her as she huddled to avoid the wind. She smiled at her and then put her arm around her shoulders.

Martha relaxed a bit and allowed her head to rest at Kirsty’s shoulder whilst Kirsty rested her head on top of Martha’s. The silence surrounded them as they sat there really close. The only sound was the sound of their breaths and the waves as they stroked the sand. Martha lifted her head up so that she could look at Kirsty.

“I probably should tell you why I’m so sad today” she said to her.

Kirsty couldn’t help but being curious. “Only if you want”

“Yeah, I think I do. I might help talking about it”

Kirsty nodded and gave Martha a little smile.

Martha let her glance slide across the beach before it met Kirsty’s. “A while ago I found out that I have cancer” she began.

Her words blew Kirsty away. ‘Cancer?’ She could easily remember Kane’s cancer. The pain, the sickness, the nightmares and all the test he had to do. Tears filled her eyes but she blinked them quickly away.

“Just a few weeks before that I found out I was pregnant” Martha said and looked down.

These words hit Kirsty even harder.

“They told me I should terminate the pregnancy. That I should choose my life over my baby’s,” Martha said.

Tears were streaming down her face and she started sobbing. “I couldn’t cho-o-ose” she cried. “I wanted to have the baby and postpone my cancer treatment. But my body didn’t want to cooperate. One day I passed out. For a while my life was hanging in the balance. I pulled trough. My baby didn’t.”

She didn’t sob anymore, but the tears were still filling her eyes and then streaming down her cheeks.

Tears started welling up in Kirsty’s eyes too as Martha talked. She tried to make them go away, but watching Martha, hearing her words and remembering something from the past made it impossible. While pictures filled her head tears started streaming down her cheeks.

The hospital, the machine she was hooked up to. Flynn had told her it was a disease. She had a disease, a kidney disease and it was irreversible he said. Permanent. She was on dialysis. Her blood pressure was still high. Then the shocking message came. She should terminate the pregnancy. Or else she was most likely to die. It was horrible and impossible. Awful. She couldn’t think, couldn’t make a choice. She ran away. It was night and she was all alone in the bush. Something dragged her towards her and Kane’s special place. That was where he found her the following day. Weak, alone, scared. She had lost the baby. It was gone.

She blinked but the tears continued to run down her face. “I know how you’re feeling” she managed to whisper in between the tears.

The look in Martha’s eyes read scepticism. ‘That was a really cliché thing to say’, she thought. She really believed Kirsty would understand and not be making comments like that. She felt even worse than she did that morning and she was prepared to set Kirsty straight. However, the look in Kirsty’s eyes stopped her. They showed pain and sympathy that Martha knew only could be there if you had gone trough the same thing.

“You..?” she asked.

Kirsty understood what she meant and nodded. “Four years ago”

“Good morning Mrs. Phillips,” he said.

“Ah, good morning!” Kirsty smiled back at him. “Nice to see you remember the name of your secretary.”

“How can I forget that? A coffee, please Leah?”

I thought for a minute he’d forgotten her first name and I was already smiling when I realised he was talking to Leah! It would have been a nice comic touch if he had forgotten so soon after getting her surname wrong and said something like “Can I buy you a coffee, Leah?” When you read over your writing, don’t miss comic opportunities.

They had been talking about it for days now. Apparently one of the guards had told one of the prisoners and the rumour had spread. It seemed like everyone knew about what was called “The Big Move”.

I really loved the sudden switch from the calm of the Diner to the drama of the prison. I was becoming really interested in that part. It was too short!

Annie’s head showed up from behind the door. Then the door was pushed open and in the doorway there were three people; Annie, Jai and Mr. Burnett, the P.E. teacher. Jai had his arms wrapped around Annie and Mr. Burnett’s necks and he jumped on one foot as they walked into the room.

Great description, I could see all three almost falling in!

Kirsty didn’t know what to do. She stood there helplessly, trying to think. ‘What do you do in a situation like this?’ She wanted to comfort the young woman, but didn’t know how. She was used to comforting Kane and Ollie, but they were her husband and her son. Could you put you arm around a stranger?

Great beginning to what is obviously going to be a strong friendship.

The talking stopped for a while as they both watched the sun. It was deep yellow nearly orange and it was colouring the sky in pink and pale orange. Kirsty always loved the sun when it was like this and how it gave everything a golden touch.

You’ve seen that, haven’t you? I know exactly what you mean, the sun setting on the sea is beautiful. Lovely description.

Look forward to reading the next update when I get back! :D

Two good updates.Nice cute cameo from Jai and Annie and I really loved the conversation between Kirsty and Martha, it's what should have happened on the show.Be interesting to see what happens when Kane moves nearer Kirst and Ollie.

^^^Yeah I agree. Kirsty & Martha should talk more on the show. They barely communicate. Actually, have they had any real scenes together on the show? I can't remember.

Anyways, i just read all this and its so good. Please continue. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A Kirsty centred fic. Great. Firstly I agree with what’s been said. It is good to see something different. A lot of the other fics tend to focus on some of the other (some might say even more popular) characters. As a KK fan I look forward to seeing how you will eventually integrate Kane into this and what the implications will be as I was very disappointed with the way the writers handled things in the actual show, not just because they split them up but because of the lack of continuity too.

CHAPTER 1 – I liked the flashbacks Kirsty had. The first one was obviously when she woke up alone the morning of his Kane’s first trial, went after him on the beech and found him staring at the sea. I’m glad you mentioned Leah and the money Kane stole because I remember a scene in the Den just before Matilda had a go at her and Leah cuddled Kirsty and told her it was awful what she and Kane were going through. To me that just didn’t ring true. It was more believable for her to stay annoyed a little while longer because she was in serious financial difficulty at the time.

CHAPTER 2 – A well written Chapter. I thought Kirsty was incredibly harsh with both Miles and Irene who were clearly trying to help her. But there at least there’s consistency. As she does appear to be throwing the - I’m feeling sorry for myself –act, which I’ve seen her do quite a bit. I don’t think she normally gets angry very often but that twice in the space of 24 hours so Kane is obviously weighing heavy on her mind. I too liked the scene where Irene introduced Kirsty to a few of the Summer Bay locals. And I’m glad you didn’t mention their names straight away but just described what they looked like from Kirsty’s point of view allowing the reader to guess who each person was. I was half expecting Jack to say something as the last time she saw him she was being interviewed at the police station along with Lara.

CHAPTER 3- I’m starting to get into this now. I like the way you have Kane in a scene here and there, not mentioning too much but letting us know he’s still around. I’m glad he’s being transferred to Yabbie Creek as for a minute I thought he was going to do something stupid and try to escape. There would be absolutely nothing to gain by doing that.

CHAPTER 4 – Brilliant. Absolutely loved it and thoroughly enjoyed reading the interaction between Kirsty and Martha. Firstly I loved the awkwardness between them with each person not knowing how to break the ice. I’m glad you are trying to explore things outside the show as I can’t recall seeing a scene between those two and if you think about it they’ve got quite a bit in common as you mentioned, i.e. both married young, both around the same age both presented with a situation where they had to decide their life or their babies – and for the world of me I could not understand why the writers never brought this up. And that’s what I was referring to regarding continuity and inconsistent writing. Twas good to hear Tasha get a mention and get some sort of reaction from Kirsty to Beth’s death (something again which wasn’t mentioned). It’s a shame Matilda’s gone because again I was very disappointed with the scenes between her and Kirsty.

I can’t wait for your next update! :D

You’ve seen that, haven’t you? I know exactly what you mean, the sun setting on the sea is beautiful. Lovely description.

Yes, I have! And I agree, it's very beautiful :D Thank you

Thank you all of you! I appreciate you taking your time to post great and inspiring comments and constructive criticism :D

Sorry about the lack of update, but I found this chapter hard to write!

--------

Chapter 5

Kirsty was on her way to Martha’s.

“You have to get to know Charlie and Rachel! Why don’t we all have a girl’s night?” she said enthusiastically to Kirsty.

Kirsty was a little worried that it would be too much for Martha, but only a couple of hours later she received a text message from her saying she had arranged for Rachel, Charlie and Kirsty to come to her house the same evening. Kirsty looked forward to spending time with other women at her age and she was excited about getting to know them.

It was one of the days where he had been able to do something during the whole day which prevented him from thinking that much about Kirsty and Ollie. However, the evening came, he went back to his cell and then he couldn’t stop the thoughts. They ran out from where they had been hiding and fought to get a place in his head. This time memories from 6 years ago won and filled his head.

It had been the world against him back then. He would never let anyone get under his skin, no one, never. Then he fell in love and before he knew it Kirsty was under his skin and not just there. She was everywhere; in his head, on his mind, in his arms, between his hand and her lips touching his. Most of all she was in his heart, which was a whole new experience to him. It was like this new world opened up to him and let him in and it was beautiful and wonderful and indescribable. He had never felt like that before and with every cell in his body he knew that it was true love and that nobody else could make him feel like that. It wasn’t just a schoolboy crush or a teenage romance and although the tough-guy-Kane from back then wouldn’t admit it at first, he knew very quickly that he was deeply and irresistibly in love with Kirsty.

It had been a great evening. They had been drinking wine, talking, laughing and having a good time. Kirsty learned a lot about the girls and she told them about her life. They also discussed Rachel and Tony’s wedding that would be taking place in a couple of months. Time passed so quickly and before they knew it Tony, Jack and Roman were knocking on the door.

“Hey beautiful,” Jack said, kissing Martha. “Are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m fine,” she smiled at him. “Hey, you have to meet Kirsty!” she continued, dragging Jack over to where Kirsty stood.

“Jack, Kirsty. Kirsty, Jack,” she said, pointing at them.

“Aren’t you Kane Phillips’ wife?” Jack asked.

“Yea, I am,” Kirsty answered shortly. She could clearly remember how nasty Jack had been when he interviewed her following Kane’s robbery.

“Well, nice to meet you. Properly I mean,” Jack said, smiling a little.

Kirsty forced a smile and turned to see where the others were. She found Roman and Charlie kissing passionately and Tony and Rachel looking deeply into each other’s eyes.

“Okay, I’m gonna walk you home Rach,” Tony said.

“It’s not that far, you didn’t have to come and walk me home,” Rachel said. “We live next door, remember?!” She smiled up at him.

“But I want to. I’ll do anything for you,” Tony answered her.

Rachel leaned in to kiss him and then said to Kirsty:

“Isn’t that sweet? We only live next door, but he still wants to walk me home.”

“Yea, it’s very sweet indeed.” Kirsty couldn’t help but smile. It made her feel happy that Rachel could appreciate such a small thing like that. “You’re lucky!”

“Yea,” Rachel said. It looked as though her mind was somewhere else for a while, before she took Tony’s hand and headed towards the door. “I am ain’t I?”

Kirsty joined Roman and Charlie on the way home. They were obviously very much in love with each other. Charlie clung to Roman’s arm all the way, laughing of something funny he said one minute, sighing with happiness the next.

“I’ll probably go this way,” Kirsty said, nodding towards the path that led directly to the Caravan Park. At this time of the evening it was blacked out and barely visible from the road where they were standing.

“Oh, right!” Charlie said.

“Um, we’ll walk you home,” Roman offered.

“No!” Kirsty said, a little too fast. “No, it’s okay. Really! I should hurry ‘coz Colleen is looking after Ollie and it’s getting late.”

The truth was that Kirsty was sick of happy couples and she couldn’t stand a minute more with a couple so obviously in love with each other.

“Well, I guess we’ll see you around then,” Roman smiled.

“Yea, see you,” Kirsty replied and walked quickly towards the path.

He sat up abruptly. His forehead was covered in sweat and he was blinking back sleep. Automatically, he reached out, but the only thing his hand found was the cold and rough brick wall. The hand that was there every time the night mares came back to haunt him, the pretty small and soft skinned hand, wasn’t there. That hand would drag him out of the bad dream and hold his hand, tightly and firmly. Then Kirsty’s other hand would gently stroke his face and make his breathing go back to normal, his heartbeat slowing down and his body relaxing.

In that moment, the loss of Kirsty seemed unbearable. No one else could make him calm after a night mare and no one could make him believe that everything would be all right the way she could. She would smile her sweet, little smile and he would know that she’ll be there for him, no matter what. No words where needed, words would probably ruin a moment like that. When she would look at him and he would know that she loved him more than any words could ever say. His eyes filled up and an instant later, rivers of tears were streaming down his cheeks.

Archived