2009 Good Friday Appeal

Guest **Julie**

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stars bring Easter joy to sick kids

Herald Sun

April 11 2009

CITY Homicide star Aaron Pedersen wept as he visited the Royal Children's Hospital.

Pedersen, one of many celebrities to visit the hospital for the Good Friday Appeal - they included Sunrise co-host Mel Doyle, Home and Away stars Todd Lasance and Ada Nicodemou and footy star Brendan Fevola - struggled to control his emotions while speaking to young patients and their families.

"It's more than just emotion," a teary Pedersen said.

"These are real people in real circumstances."

The veteran actor's eyes welled up after meeting a young, intellectually and physically disabled male patient.

"It just makes you put everything into perspective," Pedersen said.

"This type of stuff doesn't discriminate. It can affect anyone from any walk of life. It just . . . I can't describe it."

The visit was close to home for the 38-year-old actor, whose younger brother Vinnie has mild intellectual disabilities and cerebral palsy.

"Perspective," he said, "that's the word that comes to mind when you come here. You realise what you've got."

Pedersen later sat and chatted with Sinead McKenzie in the same ward.

Another celebrity deeply moved during a visit to the hospital was Mel Doyle. The popular TV presenter apologised for her uncharacteristically quiet demeanour after visiting infants in the intensive care unit.

"They're just so small. You just can't believe how small they are," Doyle said.

Home and Away actor Lincoln Lewis was more upbeat about his time with patients. He was thrilled to be able to put a smile on the faces of so many children.

"This has been such a good thing to be a part of. I just want to sit and chat with everyone for ages," Lewis said.

"Personally, I've got the mentality of a four-year-old, so most of the kids here are more mature than I am."

Co-star Tessa James received an overwhelming reception from younger patients.

"It's been really good, she's one of my favourites," said eight-year-old Shannon Brown, who was recovering from lung surgery.

Carlton footballer Chris Johnson also made a lot of friends during his time at the hospital, and said he was surprised by how much he had enjoyed the experience.

"I didn't really know what to expect when I came in here, but I'm really glad I've come," he said. "It makes you realise just how lucky you are."

Archived