The Location Thread

ctang

Oooooh, oops.

There is something mysterious that I find fascinating about the Beacon Store (Hogan's Store). I don't know why. Maybe it's because I can imagine so much Summer Bay history taking place there prior to 1988 (probably encouraged by the flashback episodes), coupled with the fact there is so little information about it online. I think the fact it looked so old fashioned too, you could imagine it being the centre of  the community (as general stores were in tiny towns) in the days before the Fletchers.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, beau_t said:

Oooooh, oops.

There is something mysterious that I find fascinating about the Beacon Store (Hogan's Store). I don't know why. Maybe it's because I can imagine so much Summer Bay history taking place there prior to 1988 (probably encouraged by the flashback episodes), coupled with the fact there is so little information about it online. I think the fact it looked so old fashioned too, you could imagine it being the centre of  the community (as general stores were in tiny towns) in the days before the Fletchers.

Yeah I get what you mean :wink:

It actually took me a long time to 100% confirm what the building actually was - I'd read numerous times about the Beacon Store in my research over the years, but it seems all those who worked on the conservation and heritage of the area weren't actually aware of its exact location and had no records of it. They had it marked down on maps as likely to be directly opposite the Boathouse (diner), and they'd incorrectly labelled the actual Beacon Store as the site of an unknown building, possibly a campsite launderette.

There certainly was a lot of history there in Summer Bay terms which we never learnt about on-screen - before it was sold to Ailsa, the store was run for years by Stan & Julia Fogarty (the parents of Bobby's adoptive mother Doris Simpson), and Martha Stewart worked there a couple of days a week when Stan & Julia went to the city to pick up stock.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan F said:

Yeah I get what you mean :wink:

It actually took me a long time to 100% confirm what the building actually was - I'd read numerous times about the Beacon Store in my research over the years, but it seems all those who worked on the conservation and heritage of the area weren't actually aware of its exact location and had no records of it. They had it marked down on maps as likely to be directly opposite the Boathouse (diner), and they'd incorrectly labelled the actual Beacon Store as the site of an unknown building, possibly a campsite launderette.

There certainly was a lot of history there in Summer Bay terms which we never learnt about on-screen - before it was sold to Ailsa, the store was run for years by Stan & Julia Fogarty (the parents of Bobby's adoptive mother Doris Simpson), and Martha Stewart worked there a couple of days a week when Stan & Julia went to the city to pick up stock.

Which explains why she picked the Simpsons I guess as she'd maybe worked with Doris at the store, or just seen her a lot.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, c120701 said:

Which explains why she picked the Simpsons I guess as she'd maybe worked with Doris at the store, or just seen her a lot.

They were old schoolfriends, Martha knew that Doris always wanted children but she couldn't have any of her own.

Thanks guys. Already seen some locations. The scene that was in my mind was when martin wore a dress to convince Celia he was a bank robber. It was supposed to be around the corner. 

Now here is some total random locations. The taff? Seen a fair bit in 2001. And even more obscure, during 98 they kept filming in children's park for some reason. Wonder where that is. 

1 hour ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Thanks guys. Already seen some locations. The scene that was in my mind was when martin wore a dress to convince Celia he was a bank robber. It was supposed to be around the corner. 

Now here is some total random locations. The taff? Seen a fair bit in 2001. And even more obscure, during 98 they kept filming in children's park for some reason. Wonder where that is. 

Good to hear it!

Yes there were a couple of scenes 'near' the store that week, they were filmed here in Ryde, but the store exterior wasn't seen and doesn't appear to be in the immediate vicinity (even before the developments across the road). Same with the other scenes for that incarnation of store - one near another row of shops in Clareville, another in a random car park, and one was just filmed on the road near the Surf Club, where we saw a sign pointing to the store which was off-screen.

I don't know if it was consistently the same location throughout the year offhand, but some of the TAFE scenes (with Gypsy & Patrick in particular) were filmed at the same location as the school (the next one awaiting upload). They did use a different place for the Uni in 2003 which is on our 'to photograph' list.

As for the kids park, I don't really remember a specific one without finding it in eps, but it could be the small one at Palmy at the southern end of the parkland? Or there's a larger one in Collaroy directly opposite the Fraser apartment...though I don't know if it was there in the 90s.