The Location Thread

ctang

On 14/02/2017 at 11:00 AM, Blaxland 89 said:

Will you be putting up the exterior from 97-99? 

The second filming location for Summer Bay High has now been added to the site:

Summer Bay High School (1996-2001)

And so we move from a hospital, to a hotel :wink:

We did actually have this one on the site around 12 years ago - but as I didn't have the episodes to hand to check through back then, and with the map on the H&A production paperwork I had not actually specifying which exact buildings they'd used, I ended up taking a pic of the wrong side :P

• Like 3

I liked this location a lot, I thought it suited the revamped interior school set and it was believable as a new school that had been rebuilt. Then in 2002-ish (I remember seeing it a lot around the Angie era) they changed to a much dirtier, grimier looking location that I didn't find believable as a relatively new school. Of course then in 2008 we moved back to the original buildings that were supposedly destroyed in 1996 :lol::rolleyes:. But 2008 was filled with tributes to the past so I just saw this as another one... it was good to see the original school again, even if it made no sense!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dan F said:

The second filming location for Summer Bay High has now been added to the site:

Summer Bay High School (1996-2001)

And so we move from a hospital, to a hotel :wink:

We did actually have this one on the site around 12 years ago - but as I didn't have the episodes to hand to check through back then, and with the map on the H&A production paperwork I had not actually specifying which exact buildings they'd used, I ended up taking a pic of the wrong side :P

Some parts of the building look similar to the original. Like those steps. There's a scene in 89 with Carly and Matt on steps that you didn't often see. Also although it was still the same building up until 96 the area with the road where Carly and Bobby cut the breaks of lances car seemed to not appear after 91. Around the same time they change in interior area of the school. Does that make sense? 

5 minutes ago, CaptainTed84 said:

Will the one from approimately 2002-07 be up as well? And the current one?

I'm working on the page for the 2001-2008 location (the grimy one Beau mentioned), and we've got pics for two more SBH locations used after that which will be up at some point.

The current one is awaiting photography.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanna say a big thank you to the location section. I'm staying in Newport for two weeks and have plenty of places to go and it's been made all the more easier. I've though of one last place. Do u have the location of outside Celia and all second store? 

Thank you too for the jukebox and underscore threads. I've made a great playlist. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Do u have the location of outside Celia and all second store?

Unfortunately, as with his final store, I haven't been able to track it down. For some reason neither of them were ever used in any exterior scenes, so I've only had stock shots to go on which haven't really helped. Whilst there were a couple of scenes which were supposed to be 'just outside' or 'around the corner', they didn't use the same location as the stock shot.

However....

On 27/01/2017 at 10:34 PM, beau_t said:

This is a long shot but any idea where Andrew and Donna's apartment (briefly) was?

...this request has now been fulfilled - and it might just be in an area of interest for you too :wink:

Andrew & Donna's Flat

Thanks to QA as ever for the pics.

• Like 1

I came across this history of the Barrenjoey Boathouse aka the Pier Diner which I thought might be of interest. It was apparently listed for demolition in 1989 as the cost of repairs needed was too high, so Home and Away stepped in and renovated the boathouse & pay a lease for access for filming, which obviously paid off when it eventually became the new home of the diner.

http://www.pittwateronlinenews.com/barrenjoey-boat-house.php

As for Alf's final store, going from some Google Earth travels the backdrop appeared to suggest it was opposite Pittwater Park on Barrenjoey Road, but much of what's there now doesn't look like it'd have been there in the 90s.

46 minutes ago, c120701 said:

I came across this history of the Barrenjoey Boathouse aka the Pier Diner which I thought might be of interest. It was apparently listed for demolition in 1989 as the cost of repairs needed was too high, so Home and Away stepped in and renovated the boathouse & pay a lease for access for filming, which obviously paid off when it eventually became the new home of the diner.

I'm not sure on the accuracy with that, as it certainly wasn't a regular filming location in the early years (even having reached 1995 it's been rarely seen), and it sounds quite similar to the story of the Beacon Store opposite, which is detailed here and also occurred in 1989.

46 minutes ago, c120701 said:

As for Alf's final store, going from some Google Earth travels the backdrop appeared to suggest it was opposite Pittwater Park on Barrenjoey Road, but much of what's there now doesn't look like it'd have been there in the 90s.

The backdrop wouldn't necessarily be accurate for the actual exterior though, especially if they don't plan to use it for scenes. I know at one point the backdrop seemed to be of this area. Palmy's General Store is in the spot you mentioned, but I know it's not that one.