The Location Thread

ctang

On 26 November 2015 at 19:44:57, Dan F said:

Not at this time there isn't, though we'll obviously take the suggestion on board. We had to categorise the locations as having them in one list had become too overwhelming, so it wasn't an immediate priority to put them back into one list again.

Unfortunately it's just one of those things when browsing the web on phones, the site has had a big overhaul to make it more responsive for various devices, but not everything can be perfectly optimised.

And yes, good spot on the typo which I've now corrected.

There's another new location up today from the Early Years also.

Thanks Dan. You guys do an amazing job tracking down these locations, as Home and Away have cast the net quite wide on their locations, particularly in recent years, so you seem to have to go all over East NSW to snapshot these places.

18 hours ago, c120701 said:

Thanks Dan. You guys do an amazing job tracking down these locations, as Home and Away have cast the net quite wide on their locations, particularly in recent years, so you seem to have to go all over East NSW to snapshot these places.

Much appreciated. Obviously it's QA who's put in all the physical miles in the last 6 years whilst I direct from my desk, so a lot of the props have to go to her.

Though that's not to say the tracking down of them is the easy part by any means... it can take years to find some of them and I dread to think how many 'virtual' miles have been put in :P

Another slightly more recent location today (though saying that, it's been over 8 years...), the venue of Peter & Amanda's Wedding.

http://www.backtothebay.net/locations/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if we'll ever see the return of Leah's house? They burnt down the house in 2015 so that they could mover her and Zac and all the teens into SBH.

I'm glad they did this to establish a family unit in the shows oldest set, but I wish it wasn't at the expense of another historic set - Leah's house.

As I remember Leah's house insurance was invalid, and Zac lost money he borrowed from Charlotte? So the house could not be repaired and it hasn't been mentioned since.

I wonder if in the future they will introduce another family to occupy SBH and Leah would then return to her old house? It would just be nice to know whether she sold it in its burnt-out state or whether she plans to save up to refurbish?

Although the exterior changed in 2009, the set has been in use since at least 2000 judging by the locations section, and possibly as long ago as 1995? Does anyone else miss this location, or think of it as historically significant to the show?

Edited by cadyctslover
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, cadyctslover said:

Although the exterior changed in 2009, the set has been in use since at least 2000 judging by the locations section, and possibly as long ago as 1995? Does anyone else miss this location, or think of it as historically significant to the show?

Yes the set had turned 20 years old this year, as it was introduced a few weeks after Travis first appeared in 1995 - and yes I do think it's a massive shame it was seemingly ditched, even if they never could quite work out where the extra bedrooms were supposed to be.

In other location news, 2 new ones on the site this week - George Watson's house from 2007, and the Reefton Arms Hotel where Casey shot Danny Braxton.

http://www.backtothebay.net/locations/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cadyctslover said:

I wonder if we'll ever see the return of Leah's house? They burnt down the house in 2015 so that they could mover her and Zac and all the teens into SBH.

I'm glad they did this to establish a family unit in the shows oldest set, but I wish it wasn't at the expense of another historic set - Leah's house.

As I remember Leah's house insurance was invalid, and Zac lost money he borrowed from Charlotte? So the house could not be repaired and it hasn't been mentioned since.

I wonder if in the future they will introduce another family to occupy SBH and Leah would then return to her old house? It would just be nice to know whether she sold it in its burnt-out state or whether she plans to save up to refurbish?

When I started watching again this year I was confused by what was going on with Leah's house. I just assumed that there would be zero chance of them getting rid of such a well established and recognized set and that they were all at Summer Bay House temporarily. Like you, I really like the family dynamic at SBH and it feels the most 'right' than it has in years.

But I definitely see the old 'Nash House' as significant to the show. Getting rid of older sets whether they be outdoor or interiors all help to chip away at the continuity and familiarity which is a negative. They need to renovate it and Leah could sell it on to another family perhaps.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, alexx said:

When I started watching again this year I was confused by what was going on with Leah's house. I just assumed that there would be zero chance of them getting rid of such a well established and recognized set and that they were all at Summer Bay House temporarily. Like you, I really like the family dynamic at SBH and it feels the most 'right' than it has in years.

But I definitely see the old 'Nash House' as significant to the show. Getting rid of older sets whether they be outdoor or interiors all help to chip away at the continuity and familiarity which is a negative. They need to renovate it and Leah could sell it on to another family perhaps.

Exactly, these locations are important links to the history of the show and their loss should be considered as detrimental as the loss of long-serving characters.

The return of the SBH exterior this year was a fantastic move IMO, and I hope they have worked out an agreement to continue to use it indefinitely.

Hopefully Leah's house hasn't made way for the flat above the Diner :( .

1 hour ago, cadyctslover said:

Exactly, these locations are important links to the history of the show and their loss should be considered as detrimental as the loss of long-serving characters.

The return of the SBH exterior this year was a fantastic move IMO, and I hope they have worked out an agreement to continue to use it indefinitely.

Hopefully Leah's house hasn't made way for the flat above the Diner :( .

Australian soaps are so different to our UK soaps in this respect. EastEnders and Coronation Street (the only ones I watch) have always kept the same houses over the years and only ever made subtle changes to the locations such as pubs, cafe's etc.