The Location Thread

ctang

• 1 month later...

A couple of you have noticed the new locations for the Braxton and Palmer houses used for the first time today - bit of an end of an era after using the previous ones for the best part of a decade. Palmer House doesn't seem too bad a replacement, though not sure about the Braxton one just yet. In any case they're nice locations in a much quieter spot than the old ones, so should hopefully give the opportunity for interesting new scenes.

Also worth noting, as a few of us have commented how Summer Bay seems to be getting huge with them rarely re-using previous houses/streets - these 2 houses are in fact directly opposite the house used as the Gibson House (where Julie and Revhead lived) in 1991. Whilst it obviously won't have been deliberate, it does provide a tiny bit of long term continuity with an 'old Summer Bay' style area :P

• 6 months later...

I went to Sydney in March 2007 and one regret is not making a trip to Palm Beach or Mobbs Lane in Epping. I did go up the Harbour Bridge and saw the city and suburbs and could see Balmain and Rozelle which have occasionally be used in H&A for city scenes. I dont know the exact viewing area the view from the Harbour Bridge extends to but I am sure you can see Epping. I dont know if you can see Palm Beach from there.

I know the list of filming locations on this site is ongoing but I wonder if Home And Away ever filmed in central Sydney at all? Ie the Harbour Bridge. I heard Kings Cross was but dont know which episodes.

Edited by Homeandawayfan.

I know the list of filming locations on this site is ongoing but I wonder if Home And Away ever filmed in central Sydney at all? Ie the Harbour Bridge. I heard Kings Cross was but dont know which episodes.

They've filmed in the city a few times. I always remember in 1999 Rebecca and Travis were waved off by Marilyn and Fisher on one of the 'Tall Ships' at the harbour.

• Like 1

They've filmed in the city a few times. I always remember in 1999 Rebecca and Travis were waved off by Marilyn and Fisher on one of the 'Tall Ships' at the harbour.

I have since read through the thread as I had forgotten there was already a thread on locations when I started a new one or I would have added to this one. Very interesting to know they used 1992 and 1996 for Sydney.

I went to Wollongong from central Sydney and on the way back I think the route home may have been past Kangaroo Point, the place when H&A was dreamed up by Alan Bateman in late 1986.

I have read about Morag's city mansion in 1989-1990 and someone said in some scenes you could see Sydney harbour? Can anyone clarify this, or do they know if that is true was it seen a number of times?

Morag's city mansion was only in a handful of scenes but I'm pretty sure you can't see Sydney harbour from the real life location, and certainly don't recall seeing it in the shots on screen (technically it is near the Lane Cover River which is a tributary of it, but again I don't recall actually seeing views of it in the scenes). That is one location already photographed awaiting upload to the site.

As you mentioned I think most of the obvious inner city locations have been covered by others in the thread - other ones are usually quite minor and depend on your definition of 'central Sydney'.

I know it's not possible to view locations by area on the site (something which we're working on as we speak), so here's a few that are closest to Sydney CBD:

Chinatown

Josie's Brothel (Alf & Ailsa also went around this area in episode 592 when they were looking for Blake & Karen)

Kim & Rachel's Hotel (Quay West hotel)

Meg & Blake's Hotel (the Park Hyatt under the harbour bridge)

A slightly wider radius include such places as:

Sally & Flynn's Wedding

Yabbie Creek Racecourse

Fletcher's City House

Young St Medical Centre

Kane's Trial

Barbara's House

The Rocket Club

Peter & Amanda's City House

Yes I agree with Light of the Bay. We only see the location for the Braxton and Palmer houses. But we need locations for Irene's and Leahs. Most importantly we need a Summer Bay House location again. There is an almost exact replica in the original location. Maybe the current owners do not want them to film there. I would have hopes the producers would have enquired about this! (If not, Why?) We was also told by Cameron Welsh we'd get a replica built. But nothing came of it. Uk soap Coronation street managed to secure a location and rebuild the WHOLE street and surrounding areas bigger than what they are now. All Home and Away needs is ONE house and room for the caravan park. So it'd be nice if the budget allowed them to do this. Then we can see characters walking from the park to the house again. No more old stock shots of the original house before it burnt down.

The thing is H&A has used so many real life locations tooth by jowl it would require much research to cover all of them by watching all almost 6000 episodes and even then some may not have been easy to pin down. I wish I had been to Palm Beach when I was in Sydney but at least I have been to the Harbour, and stood atop the bridge and would have seen Rozelle and Balmain nearby as I remember looking in that direction. At least I have seen the sun which has featured in the titles.