The Location Thread

ctang

Yup, and the road was the usual West Head Road a.k.a 'Old Yabbie Creek Road' which we see a lot, and the page for which I've just updated with some more pics and info.

The junction where we saw John/Gina and Liam/Bianca was here, with John/Gina turning right towards Akuna Bay, and Liam/Bianca going left.

There was also a brief shot of Roo's car heading along the stretch seen in the first pics on our location page (where Dani hit Kane etc.)

In other location news, after much discussion in here at the beginning of the year, the new location of Leah's House has also been uploaded to the site today :wink:

Another location from the same road, the Jones House, has been uploaded to the site today. :wink:

what does the current house look like they are using for the beach house? I've only seen it briefly in a couple of stock shots, but not properly. I wonder if the interior would actually fit into it!?

beachhouse-1.jpg

I guess it can pass in a stock shot, but if you look at it for any longer you start to realise that things don't really match up - another Leah situation with there being no room for the room at the bottom of the stairs (unless the right hand doors lead to that), and of course it doesn't help when they show the nighttime shot and you can clearly see the interior of the real house. :wink: Still, if they were that desperate to change locations, they could have done worse I guess - just doesn't have the same feel as the old one...

You're right, a brief glance and you'd not notice (and new viewers who don't remember the original wouldn't know any difference obviously) but it really doesnt match up to the interior does it. but they could at least have dressed the doors with blinds as the interior is, that way they;'d have got away with a night time shot whatever the real interior is like - even on the daytime shot you can see it has no blinds and the interior is different lol. very sloppy continuity I think. I still don't understand why theyd need a new stock shot really (same goes for Leah) since they don't film anything there. They've made do with a stock shot of Summer Bay House and a variety of caravan park locations (with varying success) for nearly 10 years, the reason for the caravan park sites being that they film there. All seems a bit odd really!

It doesn't seem like there was any reason for them to change location when they could have easily used the same stock shots from the 90's and unscaled them to HD/wide screen until they were able to shoot new ones becuase now you've put it up like that Dan it is soooo wrong, the windows dont match up at all. For a start it looks like the back of a house, there are no blinds and they appear to be windows not doors. If whoever is in charge of locations is looking at this thread, please go back to the original location and shoot some new cool HD shots of it, even if it was a one off and they were unable to get permission to actually use the location for filming within the episodes, it would be much better to have some cool new stock shots of the original house (the one that actually fits and the interior was based around) - plus it really would add to that beachy Summer Bay charm...

My thoughts exactly - especially now they've been making a big thing of filming all these new fancy sweeping aerial stock views of the beach, the diner etc etc wouldn't it be fab to see the old beach house from the air?! they could be more creative if they put their mind to it. The new beach house shot does look rather like the back of a house and yeah, they do look like windows, although they must I assume open onto the veranda. I saw Leah's 'new house' stock shot for the first time last night - its horrible! it's nothing like the old one and again, as has been mentioned doesn't fit the interior atall... they may aswell not bother using them atall since they show no continuity or add anything to the story.

For those who were interested in the above conversation, we recently managed to track down the 'new' Beach House after about 6 years of searching and it's on our 'To Photograph' list :wink:

The search has now stepped up for an equally difficult one, the original Nash House (i.e. Leah's house in it's 1995-2000ish incarnation) - which is one of only 2-3 remaining major houses to find from over the years.

originalnash.jpg

When you look at the original again it just reiterates how bad the current choice for Leah's House is!

I haven't a clue, and doubt I'd be able to find out as it's over a decade ago since they both changed. I'd have thought they'd have to have a pretty good reason for doing so, with both of them being well established for a number of years, so can only presume the owners didn't want them filming there any more. With Leah's it may have been the case that they wanted somewhere closer to Palm Beach than the original (just a guess given we don't know yet where it was), though that argument doesn't work with the Beach House as the new one is further away from Palmy than the original.

As I've said before though, it's been a long time so they should go and try again - presuming they still remember where the locations are, if not then that's when our locations section comes in handy :wink:

• 1 month later...

Can you travel there on the Bryan Ferry?

I think it's quite positive in some ways to have use houses so close together, due to the overabundance if locations that now makes Summer Bay now feel like Australia's 6th largest place.

I'm sure if Avalon had a ferry wharf then they wouldn't be able to resist.

Well we have yet another location in the same area uploaded to the site today - and there's still 3 more on the way.