The Location Thread

ctang

3 hours ago, Dan F said:

Yup, it is another new one this year - pics are getting sorted for it and it’ll be a future update. 

That’s one I’m not sure on at the moment - it certainly wasn’t the one that’s just been uploaded, but with it only being an interior it’d be pretty difficult to track down on its own.

At least only using three locations for the school in those first 20 years provided some stability of sorts... (even if they were vastly different) - in the last decade there’s been four more locations used, with another couple of random halls thrown in for good measure... ?

I think the show did a great job of making it all look like it was the same place. Especially the second and third ones. 

I actually noticed the change from the second to third one instantly. the second one was very clean and maintained and looked brand new. the third one, although a similar style, was really dirty and grotty.

As for the location of Sally's farewell - it doesn't even need to be a school does it? It was just a hall with a stage, it really could have been anywhere. A church hall, a community centre, a conference hall somewhere, it could even have been inside Seven somewhere.

I know sometimes changes of location can’t be helped, but things like four high school locations in 10 years really don’t help make Summer Bay feel small. The rebuild after the roof caved in would at least allow for a new location once, but not the other three.

4 hours ago, c120701 said:

I know sometimes changes of location can’t be helped, but things like four high school locations in 10 years really don’t help make Summer Bay feel small. The rebuild after the roof caved in would at least allow for a new location once, but not the other three.

Though to mirror the discussion from another thread, they did tend to get a little sloppy with keeping the small country town feel in general when it comes to framing shots - this school for example was bang in the middle of a high-tech industrial area, and there'd often be big fancy buildings visible in the background during scenes on the footy field etc. which would never be in Summer Bay. Example below:

Spoiler

WEe8S2.jpg

The same happened to an extent with Collaroy, with the high-rises/built up area along the main stretch of Collaroy Beach often being visible in the background of shots (though the bait shop and diner locations were fine in themselves).

It's funny, all the miles I've covered going around the Northern Beaches on Streetview (and in reality before that) whilst location hunting, I've found some nice little enclaves with modest houses which I think would look perfect if they ever wanted the old Summer Bay feel for any reason. Not so much the sparseness of 80s Kenthurst mind, but more the residential streets they used in 90s when the kids were doing paper rounds or characters were driving etc. and they used the 'cheaper' area of Palmy (an area which of course has become a bit fancier now).

19 hours ago, Dan F said:

Though to mirror the discussion from another thread, they did tend to get a little sloppy with keeping the small country town feel in general when it comes to framing shots - this school for example was bang in the middle of a high-tech industrial area, and there'd often be big fancy buildings visible in the background during scenes on the footy field etc. which would never be in Summer Bay. Example below:

Hide contents

WEe8S2.jpg

The same happened to an extent with Collaroy, with the high-rises/built up area along the main stretch of Collaroy Beach often being visible in the background of shots (though the bait shop and diner locations were fine in themselves).

It's funny, all the miles I've covered going around the Northern Beaches on Streetview (and in reality before that) whilst location hunting, I've found some nice little enclaves with modest houses which I think would look perfect if they ever wanted the old Summer Bay feel for any reason. Not so much the sparseness of 80s Kenthurst mind, but more the residential streets they used in 90s when the kids were doing paper rounds or characters were driving etc. and they used the 'cheaper' area of Palmy (an area which of course has become a bit fancier now).

The hospital helicopter establishing shots always look a bit too built up for me.

I guess the problem is changes in location scouts & the studio moving from Epping to Eveleigh.

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 22:36, Dan F said:

Yup, it is another new one this year - pics are getting sorted for it and it’ll be a future update. 

That’s one I’m not sure on at the moment - it certainly wasn’t the one that’s just been uploaded, but with it only being an interior it’d be pretty difficult to track down on its own.

At least only using three locations for the school in those first 20 years provided some stability of sorts... (even if they were vastly different) - in the last decade there’s been four more locations used, with another couple of random halls thrown in for good measure... ?

That's lots, Thanks for filling me in, do you know if the School has ever had to be bulldozed or has it just been gutted/repaired, because it should look more modern on the outside if it has been bulldozed.

On 20/05/2018 at 23:14, Dan F said:

Reveal hidden contents

WEe8S2.jpg

Yes, I loved the bait shop and beachside diner area but there was a scene one with a Travis and Rebecca having breakfast on their new balcony and you could see all those building along collaroy beach front

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Sally Keating said:

Do you have any info on the exact location of the hole in the rocks/cliff that Dodge fell through in episode 340 in 1989 and also Stephanie in 1997 leading to her death?

It went on the to-find list but I can't say I've done any proper searching for it as yet, those sort of middle-of-nowhere places tend to be a bit tricky.