Rock, Paper, Scissors

Guest xGlowingAngelx

Rock, Paper, Scissors

Type Of Story: Long Fic

Main Characters: Belle Taylor, Eric Dalby

BTTB Rating: T

Genre: Drama, Romance, Angst (A bit of everything)

Does Story Include Spoilers? Nope

Any Warnings: Not at the minute. But we're just getting started. Will be sure to inform Chapter by Chapter.

Summary: (Slightly AU) Belle Taylor spent months living on the streets in a desperate bid to catch a glimpse of the mother she never knew. Eric Dalby was running from him past. A chance encounter brings the pair together and as they battle to escape the demons of their pasts and rebuild there future, the questions they wanted answered no longer make sense and the fierce battles they face will bind them together in ways that will turn their worlds upside down…..

A/N: I don't own ANYTHING. I have no experience in surviving the streets, so everything is completely fictional. Any mistakes are my own. Also, I know chapters are quite short to begin with, but they'll hopefully grow as the story goes on. Hope you enjoy. :)

The coffee was strong and the toast was burnt.

She’d been sat - for goodness knew how long - at some table in the corner of a worn out diner. It had groggy walls and the table and chairs scattered around were nothing special; the plastic ones you see in gardens. The woman behind the counter - the one who’d served her without uttering so much as a polite word - was perched over some newspaper, chewing a piece of gum and twisting a strand of hair around her index finger continuously. Of the twelve tables in the joint (she’d counted them waiting for her toast) only three were occupied; hers, the one in the corner facing - occupied by some guy that looked just as hungry and lost as she was, wearing a coat that was far too bad and blowing his nose so loudly, it made her stomach turn. He wore a woollen hat that rested just above his eyes and a pair of glasses that even she could tell probably weren’t much use. He was shovelling down a plate full of beans and toast that - she’d noticed - he was peeling the crusts from and piling them on the table beside the plate. Probably saving that for later she thought to herself, wondering why she never thought of that.

The other table was occupied by another guy. He appeared the total opposite from the other guy. His appearance was clean and smart. His face looked freshly shaven, without a trace of stubble and he was wearing a suit. She couldn’t tell if it was designer or not. The sleeves were broken from the striped pattern at the wrists by a shiny pair of cuff links. He sat straight in his seat, carefully cutting through a rasher of bacon that simply the smell of was making her stomach grumble. His toast - sat on the corner of his plate - was sliced into triangles; a rich golden colour that was a world away from the toast the other guy had. She couldn’t help but wonder what was so special about the guy in the suit that warranted him a half decent breakfast, yet the other guy was given something that - had he not appeared so hungry for - he’d probably have sent back with a complaint. Was it the fact he wore a suit? Was is because he was clean shaven and had a glowing white smile? On impulse, she glanced down at her own appearance. Her blue sneakers - barely recognisable anymore - were covered in mud and had a hole on the inside of the right foot that was heavily uncomfortable, especially when it rained. Her jeans were faded at the front, but from what she’d gathered from some passer-by’s, it was pretty much in with the current trend anyway, not that she’d know any different. Her blue hooded jumper had a small hole in the right elbow, but overall was still the most comfortable item of clothing she had. She reached for the piece of leather string tied round her neck. Wrapped around twice and double knotted at the front, the excess draping down. It was a habit she had; every so often, she’d reach for the necklace and cradle it for a few moments, just so she knew it was there. Just so she knew she had control over something.

She wasn’t sure how long she’d been cradling that cold cup of coffee when the guy in the suit stood up. Not really caring, yet unable to tear her gaze away, she watched as he piled the knife and fork he’d used onto the empty plate he’d eaten from and piled the cup he’d drank from on top of the plate, careful to use both hands to stop everything from tumbling over and making a mess he more than likely didn’t want to clean up. Had she not felt so oddly unsettled, she’d probably have offered to clean the place herself. She was, after all, used to cleaning up her own mess.

She watched as he handed the plates to the woman reading the paper. They were talking in audio reflecting a whisper, yet loud enough for her to hear the muffles. That was amazing he’d said. Or at least, she thought that was what he’d said. She watched as he leant against the counter and perched forward towards the woman and - for a split second - she was sure he was going to attack. She watched, in total shock, as he kissed her soft, yet passionately on her lips, tracing a few kisses along her cheek and down her neck. Breaking away from him, she’d smiled softly “See you later, Gorgeous” he winked at her and headed out of the door that equalled as both an entrance and an exit.

It was nearly seven o’clock when she stood from her own table. She gulped back the remaining drop of coffee in the cup, shuddering slightly at the taste, now cold and weak. She could see the woman behind the counter watching her and she was pretty sure she’d pounce on her any second now. Careful not to appear too eager to get out of there, she reached for the right amount of money - pretty much all the money she carried, aside from a bit of loose change - and handed it to that woman behind the counter. She was almost at the door, ready to face the outside world once again when she felt a hand grip her arm tight. She spun around, half ready to throw a punch, when she came face to face with the waitress who’d served her. She reached for the young girls hand and opened her palm, placing the money she’d just paid her with back to her. She remained silent, but smiled sympathetically at her. A smile she’d seen all too often from strangers that passed her by. Had she not been so exhausted, she’d probably have started an argument with the woman then and there; Why the hell are you feeling sorry for me? You don’t know me and I don’t need charity. The usual insult she poured when someone offered her an ounce of a good gesture. Instead, she smiled as best she could at the woman before accepting the money back and tucking it into her pocket as safe as she could.

She shot a quick look towards the man with the woollen hat - scraping his fork against his empty plate as though he expected more food to appear just like magic. For a moment, she wondered if she should offer him some of the money. She wondered is he’d actually had the right money to pay for his own food. She wondered where he slept at night, whether he actually slept at all. Then she remembered that guy from earlier; the one in the suit that had kissed the woman. She wondered where he was now; was he tucked up a king size bed somewhere beneath designer sheets? His designer suit hung perfectly neat in a designer wardrobe as he drifted to sleep without a care in the world.

She noticed for the first time that the guy in the woollen hat was watching her curiously and she felt her cheeks burn as she realised she’d been staring at him for much longer than she’d intended to ‘glance’ at him. The woman behind the counter was watching them both back and forth, half expecting one of them to say something.

Remembering the way the woman had carefully handed her the money back, she smiled - a smile that spoke all the “Thank you” needed - and exited the diner from the same door the guy earlier had exited from. From the same door she’d found her own way in to, back out into a world that she was all too familiar with, yet that made her feel like a total stranger.

Well, I'm in tonight :(, doing some work on my own fic <_< and checking in here because I'm very easily distracted. :rolleyes:

To be honest, I only clicked on it because someone on the online list was reading it and I was curious. Glad I did. Well done, it was a very readable first chapter that hooked me with the very simple yet very effective and intriguing opening line "The coffee was strong and the toast was burnt."

Great start! :)

Great chapter. Very interesting.

I didn't see much of Belle and Ric when they were together, even though I don't think that lasted very long, but I think they would have made a good couple so I am interested as to where this fic is going.

Can't wait for more :)

Great start, Amy. I agree with I love music - the opening line was a really good hook. It immediately set the scene and I too became curious about the 2 other guys in the Diner. Can't wait to read more :).

Thanks for reading it guys. I wasn't sure if anyone would, because it's Ric and Belle :P. The comments are greatly appreciated. I'm in the middle of writing the next part, but bed calls, so it's unlikely it'll be finished tonight. I'm hoping to have it done by tomorrow night though so, assuming you guys actually want to read it, it'll be up as soon as it's done. :D :D

Archived