Organ Donation

Guest ~Lynd~

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to donate my organs when I'm dead. It's not like I'll need them anymore and if it helps saving someone else's life, why not? I know that if I needed an organ, I'd like someone to donate one to me.

My parents and sister know I'm okay with it. I've heard that if you want to register as an organ donor here, you have to go to the city hall and they'll add that on the microchip on your ID card. Next time I'll have to go to the city hall, I'll ask them to add it on my ID card.

I can understand why some people wouldn't agree with it though. It's not always about their religion, some have other reasons not to agree and I respect that. It's not like you can force them to agree, you have to respect everyone's wishes.

My friend's cousin died in a car accident and the doctors asked his parents if they agreed to donate his organs. At the time, they were too shocked to think about it and said no as their son hadn't told them what he wanted. My friend told me her uncle and aunt later regretted their decision. I guess you can't blame them; they had just lost a loved one and it happened so suddenly. Organ donation isn't the first thing that comes to your mind when you just lost your son.

IMO, people should talk about organ donation to their parents, children and/or partner. That way, if a loved one dies, they'll know what to do because unfortunately, you never know what could happen.

I've thought about this issue a lot and my honest opinion is I would like to donate my organs. But my family is quite spiritual and religious and I'm not sure it would sit well with them and I'm sure it would be hard enough losing someone in their family. I guess that's the issue - knowing it'll inflict a lot of pain on my parents or saving lives. I suppose (morbid as it sounds) if they were to die before I did (Hopefully once they're elderly and have lived long happy lives!) I would then put myself on the organ list. Like many have said, once you're dead it doesn't really matter to you but it does to the people you leave behind.

I haven't heard much about xenotransplantation. Is it quite successful?

I'm an organ donor and have been for years. I'm also a blood donor and am on the bone marrow register as well. The only restriction i've put on the donation is not using my eyes or sex organs. I know I won't need them when dead, but the idea of someone else using them is a little too creepy for me.

I ticked the box for them to take everything but my corneas... I've been meaning to change that, but at the time I just couldn't handle the thought of it. If someone rips out your heart or your lungs, you're definitely dead, or you will be in a matter of seconds. If someone's cutting into your eyes... eh, you'd better HOPE you're dead... I know it's an irrational fear, which is why I've been meaning to change it, because sight is so important to me, especially since I'm an artist, that if I could help someone else to see, that would be a very fitting way to have ended my life.

I've got no problem with people having to turn off my life support. Most people know that I'm not overly attached to life. There are so many people out there just clinging to life, desperate to be able to get out there and live it, and most of the time all I can do is ***** about mine. My organs have not gotten much use so far, and I doubt they'll get much use from me in the future. Hopefully, when I die, someone else will appreciate them properly.

What I'd really like to do is donate my body to the body farm in America, but I think you actually have to pay to be shipped over there :rolleyes: It's a place where they just toss you out into the woods and let you decompose on the ground so that crime scene investigators can learn how to determine how long people have been dead for and such. It sounds gross, and it really is, but it seems like the most natural, legal way to be disposed of, plus it could help an untold amount of people with the knowledge that could be taken away from it.

But, failing that, organ donation followed by cremation. Then scattered to the wind...

I would like my organs to be donated. I wont need them once im gone and it will save the life of someone else.

I had heard of xenotransplantation (well i didnt know that was what it was called, still i knew it exsisted) and im ok with it. If it works and can save someones life then why not take an organ from an animal. I watched a documentary about a boy who got a pigs heart. Now he is ok, so if it is going to save people lives then i dont have a problem with it.

Archived