Organ Donation

Guest ~Lynd~

Also i don't believe that stuff in movies when they're doing a heart transplant and the donater continues to live in the transplant person.It would be different with brain transplants but i don't think they're already doing that stuff so.

I have read stuff in medical journals about people who've developed strange and unexpected new passions and habits after a transplant; although some of it is no doubt going to be sensationalised...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also i don't believe that stuff in movies when they're doing a heart transplant and the donater continues to live in the transplant person.It would be different with brain transplants but i don't think they're already doing that stuff so.
I have read stuff in medical journals about people who've developed strange and unexpected new passions and habits after a transplant; although some of it is no doubt going to be sensationalised...

I know what you mean those are mostely heavy surgeries yet it's still not scientifically proven, psychologically feels just as much real though i haven't experienced any organ transplantation myself so who am i to judge really

I think the brain is what forms a personality / memory a heart is just a muscle

although it must feel weird to have someone elses organ i guess.

I agree with Jess, it's a complicated issue and there's no right or wrong way to feel about it. Personally i have no problem giving my organs up but i understand why some people might have a problem with it. I have a few friends who are pretty spirtual and believe in reencarnation and therefor wouldn't donate their organs because then they believe you can't go to the after life if you've had organs removed.

And from the families point of view, it must be horrific to be asked if your child/parent etc can be cut open and their organs removed when you're just coming to terms with losing them.

Then you have the ethics involved about it being anonymous or otherwise. Or being able to chose who gets what from you. As a donor should you be allowed to state that you don't want your liver going to an alchololic etc?

I agree with Jess, it's a complicated issue and there's no right or wrong way to feel about it. Personally i have no problem giving my organs up but i understand why some people might have a problem with it. I have a few friends who are pretty spirtual and believe in reencarnation and therefor wouldn't donate their organs because then they believe you can't go to the after life if you've had organs removed.

And from the families point of view, it must be horrific to be asked if your child/parent etc can be cut open and their organs removed when you're just coming to terms with losing them.

Then you have the ethics involved about it being anonymous or otherwise. Or being able to chose who gets what from you. As a donor should you be allowed to state that you don't want your liver going to an alchololic etc?

I understand everyone who chooses not to donate their organs(i just didn't read the others post itwym) I'm saying i would give my organs away yet i haven't signed any papers, i should but as most people don't like to stand still too long with death subjects (cos i love life) and so though i like it to be official for my family of course :)

I don't think an alcoholic will get a new liver in any case? maybe a rich one <_<

I'm very much in favour of donating my organs when I die, I haven't made that clear yet (the only way you can here is by relaying the message to your family and by having the words DONOR on your drivers licence).I know that my family would be very supportive of me donating my organs if the need arose since we are all organ donors (apart from Dad who can't) and my Mum has done an indepth study on organ donation for her keeping her practice certificate (as a nurse).I would want to stay anonymous if i did die young and my organs were given to different people.My Mum and I are long term blood donors(I began as soon as I was able to as did Mum) who has swapped from donating whole blood to doing plasma apherisis (sp) because plasma can be much more useful and there is a massive shortage + it has an extremely limited shelf life (mum does whole blood still).

I intend to register as soon as I get around to telling my parents. I can see how some people could have objections to it and obviously its their own choice but I can't think of a more worthwhile thing to do. Its amazing that it is possible and I always think, if it was me in need of an organ, I would want someone to give it to me.

I intend to register as soon as I get around to telling my parents. I can see how some people could have objections to it and obviously its their own choice but I can't think of a more worthwhile thing to do. Its amazing that it is possible and I always think, if it was me in need of an organ, I would want someone to give it to me.

Exactly! I don't need my organs when I'm dead and I think it's fantastic that they may save someone else's life. I know that in Norway the rules are very strict when it comes to whether you can donate or not and a lot of people dies as they wait for donors. We discussed this a few weeks ago in biology and me and my friend agreed that we wanted to donate or organs if we could, but someone else didn't want to at all. I can't say I agree with them, but I can see why they may not want to donate.

Archived