Learn To Let Go

Guest KaiyaBlake

Hellooo :)

Next Chapterrrr.

Thanks for everyone’s comments, I love comments! :lol:

Hope everyone likes it! Oh... and they did graduate. Sorry! :rolleyes: I didn't really want to focus on that, but I should have!

Enjoy!

Chapter 8

Martha pressed her fingers to her ears tightly as she tried desperately to block at the nearby argument.

“…no way, there is no way I am putting her in danger again by letting you take her”, Kate yelled harshly.

“She fell. Children fall”, Brett lowered his voice nervously as he continued to repeat the story he thought was best.

“Don’t you for a second think I’m going to buy your lies! I’m calling the police…”

The voices seemed to fade to just a distant murmur as she felt a small hand grasp her own. Slowly, he slid himself down next to her before she wrapped her arms around him securely in a plea to stop her pain.

-------------------

“Come on Martha you have to eat something”, Tasha pulled on her arm, infuriating Martha even more.

“No”, she tore herself from Tasha’s grasp and made her way towards the couch, where she intended to spend many, many hours watching episode after episode of whatever sop program she could find. At least something to drown her self pity in.

“Not again”, Tasha groaned before running and jumping in front of the TV screen, trying to shield it from Martha’s view… not to mention save the trees from the numerous boxes of tissues she would soon be forced to clean up.

Martha continued to lay herself down on the couch and ignore Tasha’s ridiculous attempts to cover every inch of the actual screen. “I’m not dying”

“That’s debatable”

“No it’s not”, Martha mumbled blatantly. “Look at me breathe”

Tasha rolled her eyes negatively as she moved forward and placed herself on the couch next to Martha. “If you don’t eat you’ll-”

“Ahh ha”, Martha cut her off with a grin as she picked up the remote and switched the TV on. “Sucker”, she looked over at Tasha who gave her an unimpressed glare.

“You don’t think I’m just going to turn it back off?”, she shrugged.

“Do it”, Martha dared as she held up the remote ready to turn it back on when she did so.

Standing up, Tasha snatched the remote hastily out of Martha’s hand before turning it off.

“T’ohhh”, Martha threw her hands out in anger as she yelled. “Sorry”, she forced an uneasy smile as Tasha stood, shocked at how she was acting.

“It’s been ages”

“I ate yesterday!”, she objected quickly.

“Well that leaves a big gap between yesterday and now. Say, 3 days?”

“I haven’t eaten in 3 days!”, Martha’s eyes widened in shock. “Bullsh*t”

“Not in the slightest”, Tasha answered smartly.

“Better eat then”, Martha sighed as she hauled herself off the couch and towards the kitchen.

“You are kidding”, Tasha watched her dumfounded as her mind ran over the numerous amounts of ways she had attempted to con Martha into eating.

It was probably a good thing though, that she had finally chosen to herself. Because forcing food down Martha’s throat, would have taken a lot of strength.

“Why don’t we go to the diner or something?”, she suggested after watching Martha fake-gagging and turning her nose up at every item of food she came across.

“You know why”, Martha called back as she dug her head further into the fridge in a hope there was something more.

“It would be kind of coincidental for Ja-”

“Uh!”, Martha shot Tasha a dissatisfied glance at her failure to do the one thing she had reminded her again and again. Don’t mention him. Tasha knew it was how she dealt with it all. Martha was strong, but not that strong... she knew how much she was hurting.

“He’d be moping around the house, just like you”, she shouted over Martha’s effort to drown out her mention of him.

“What would you know?”, Martha continued to argue before collapsing over the kitchen bench, defeated at any chance of finding a meal in the house.

“I know… that if you don’t come. I think I’m going to hurt you”, she tried to put it as nicely as she possibly could.

“Whatever”, she gave in before shuffling up the stairs to go get changed. “But if you’re wrong, I’ll do more than hurt you”, she called back out.

“Yes!”, Tasha smiled quietly to herself as she ignored Martha’s threat.

She would have to call Jack though… to be on the safe side.

---------------------------------------

Jack’s house…

“Knock knock”, Lucas heard a yell from the door and turned off the TV promptly before answering it.

“Err yes?”, he looked at her confused.

“Emma”, she smiled sweetly before extending her hand to Lucas. “I’m here to see Jack”

“Are you sure you want to?”, he answered dully thinking back over the last couple of days. Whoever said girls go through moods, was wrong. Jack after a break up… worse, much worse.

“Shut it Luc”, he almost jumped out of his skin as he heard his brother behind him.

“Hey”, Jack smiled as he stepped in front of Luc. “What are you doing here?”, he asked genuinely surprised that she of all people had come to his house. They had hung out a couple of times when Jack was with the guys from footy. Despite all the mishap that had been created with her and Martha... she was still a pretty nice girl.

“Actually”, she stepped in through the door. “I’m here for post break-up support, and… by the looks of your brother, I’m just in time”, she laughed at just how quickly Lucas had scurried away.

“What… Luc?”, Jack desperately tried to think of a way out of this. “Noo he’s just umm… very shy”, he shrugged.

“I’m sure”, she nodded in agreement. “Anyway, what’s on the agenda for today?”

Jack took a moment to look down at himself, dressed in a chesty and boxes, he hadn’t had much planned. “Ahh eat, sleep, oh here’s a good one… footy and maybe, just maybe, I’ll have a shower”, he smirked.

“As good as that sounds, I’m going to say no. Hop in the shower and we’ll go grab something to eat”, she ordered him.

“Really?”, Jack huffed in annoyance. Just the place he wanted to go today…

“You bet”, she grinned before pushing him away to have a shower.

“Fine”, he kept on walking towards the bathroom as he began to pull his singlet off, just in time for Emma to give him a lustful look.

Bad move, Jack shook his head instantly. If Martha were there, she’d have clawed her eyes out in a second. He found himself smiling as his mind subconsciously fell back on to her.

Dammit! He mentally cursed himself. He swore he wouldn’t do that anymore.

A phone rang from beside her causing Emma to jolt in surprise. After waiting to see if Lucas ran out and gave her a clear indication that it was his phone, she carefully picked up the phone to read the caller.

“Ha. Sorry Tasha, not today”, she laughed to herself as she rejected the call instantly, not forgetting to delete any record of it either.

------------------------------

Martha’s house…

“I’ve always said that you’re an ass. You never fail to prove me wrong”, Tasha whispered angrily at her phone as her calls to Jack were repeatedly rejected.

“Who’s an ass?”, Martha popped up beside her cheekily.

“Just umm… Robbie”, she chucked in the first name she could think of.

“Why what’s he done?”

“I don’t really want to talk about it”, she put on the best sad-face she could muster and hoped Martha wouldn’t catch on.

“If that’s what you want”, Martha smiled sympathetically as she grabbed her car keys from the hook by the door.

“It would make things easier”, Tasha sighed in relief. “You’re driving?”, she smiled impressively.

“It wouldn’t be the first time”, she eyed her suspiciously.

“No, it’s good”, Tasha flung her arm around her friends shoulder as they made their way for the door. “I’m happy”

-----------------------------

Half an hour later…

“I told you! I told you that it was a cop”, Tasha continued bragging as they pulled up at the diner.

“Dangerous driving. This is crap”, Martha moaned in frustration as she read over the small driving fine carefully.

“You swerved and nearly hit oncoming traffic, to overtake an undercover cop!”, she pointed out before Martha slapped her hand over her mouth to stop her.

“Yeah, yeah… whatever. How was I supposed to know?”, Martha clenched her teeth as she realised she had chosen the wrong choice of words.

“I said I tol-”

“I know!”, she let out a small laugh. “Let’s just eat yeah?”

“Sounds good”, Tasha instantly agreed, following Martha by pulling herself out of the car and closing the door behind her.

“So what are you going to get?”, Tasha felt her belly growl as she thought over the possibilities of choices. “I think a nice toasted sandwich! Or that really good pasta that Leah makes! Oooh but then there’s that-”

“Oh no”, Martha stopped dead in her tracks and she closed her eyes tightly for a few seconds in hope that when she opened them, that very familiar, green car was gone.

“What do I do!?”, Martha screeched in helplessness as she looked around to see if there was time to turn back.

“Sh*t umm, maybe we can… oh no”, she stopped mid-sentence as he made an appearance from the doors of the diner.

“Oh my”, Tasha squirmed nervously on the spot as Martha burned her eyes furiously into her.

“Stuff it”, Martha yanked Tasha towards her and kept on walking. If she was going to see him, she sure as hell wasn’t going to be made to look like a fool.

His eyes immediately drew to Martha’s as he looked up to find them heading in their direction.

“Oh god”, Martha found herself laughing as she examined who Jack was walking with. “Look at her”, she brought her hand up to her mouth to try and hide her laughter from Jack. She certainly didn’t want him to think she was laughing at him.

But somehow, she knew that wouldn’t be an issue, because when a girl with her boobs falling out of her top and a skirt that threw away any piece of dignity she had left, was walking right beside you… you would kind of figure that people weren’t laughing at you.

Jack found himself hiding a smile as he saw Martha’s face brighten up. Even after all that had happened. Even after anything that happened, her smile could always bring one to his own.

She tried to hide the disappointment in her eyes as she neared him. The fact that he was off lunching with… not just another girl, but the girl who he knew, Martha hated… it hurt her. It hurt that she couldn’t be there, like she used to be, her arm tucked around his back, him peppering kisses down her-

“Watch out”, Tasha broke her thoughts as they came face to face.

“Skank”, Martha blurted out reluctantly as they passed the pair.

“What the…”, Emma backed up and walked back towards Martha.

Jack fought the urge he had to laugh. Typical. He knew that was coming.

“It would be less obvious, if you just jumped on him”, Martha put it simply as she smirked at Emma’s distress.

Tasha stood back gobsmacked, watching the scene in front of her before pulling Martha back away from her.

Emma stormed off immediately as her mind had failed to produce a comeback. Jack waited back for a couple of seconds and smiled as she brushed past him swiftly.

Martha felt a surge of heat run through her as his focus changed to her and he kept his smile on his face. She couldn’t help but let herself smile back. He was like an addiction… and she was relapsing.

“Oi”, Martha felt herself being tugged back by Tasha who she completely forgot was there.

“Did you have to say that?”, Tasha asked her as she tried to cover up the embarrassment she was feeling.

“What!?”, Martha laughed as she threw Jack from her mind. “Some things need to be said”

------------------------------------------

Next Chapter: It’s all touch and go with Martha’s feelings. Jack fails to keep Martha from his mind :wub:

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad to know that Martha finally decides to eat something.

They both still think about each other!

Emma is a stupid s***k! She dress like a s**t and throws herself at guys. Come on, have some dignity! <_< Thankfully, Jack isn't falling for it! I really hope he will never fall for it! He shouldn't spend time with that girl.

More please.

LOL! Martha is so funny :lol:

But Emma on the other hand <_< Just go away!

Martha felt a surge of heat run through her as his focus changed to her and he kept his smile on his face. She couldn’t help but let herself smile back. He was like an addiction… and she was relapsing.

Yay, there's hope ^_^

Great chapter :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello :)

Next Chapter for you guys!

Thanks for all your comments :D

Enjoy ^_^

Chapter 9

“Don’t tell anyone”, she warned her best friend after confiding in him.

“But mum said if he hurts you aga-”

“You can’t tell her!”, she scolded him again. “Mum’s gone, I need him”

He handed her another tissue. “He’ll hurt you again”

“If he does, you can help me. Your mum’s sick she can’t know”, she said knowing better, even for a 9 year old.

“Yeah”, Jack looked at the floor sadly.

“She’s going to be okay!”, Martha quickly cut in, assuring both Jack and herself what they had gone over the night before.

“I hope so”, he whispered unconvinced.

-------------------

She heaved as she collapsed herself into the sand. She had just been on the most exhausting morning run along the beach.

She didn’t know what possessed her, but this morning… she woke up with the need for a walk… which then turned into a jog and finally through all that anger she had sealed inside her, she started running.

And the irony of it all? Everyone knew… Martha didn’t run.

What else was she going to do with her time though? With no school and no… Jack, she didn’t exactly have an endless list. All it was, was work and sleep and hang out with Tash when she managed to separate herself from Robbie. Who said they were having problems?

“Morning”, she heard a voice greet from behind her.

“Oh. Hi”, she smiled shyly as she turned around to see none other than Jack Holden himself. She didn’t know why the sudden need was to be shy. Maybe it was because she saw more of him now then she ever did when they were together.

“Err.. running?”, he laughed only slightly as not to offend her. He didn’t know if they were there yet.

“I can see that’s funny to you”, she pointed out after nodding.

“No! Just… running, you?”

“Things change”, she stated bluntly not realising her words until she had spoken them.

“Guess so”, his voice dropped moderately as he tried to keep a smile on his face.

Martha sighed. “I’m sorry that was… uncalled for”

“No, no. I mean, maybe it’s your way of… you know, dealing with it?”, he suggested to her.

“Dealing without you?”, she rolled her eyes jokingly as he laughed.

“Exactly”

Her laughter stopped as she saw a figure in the distance. “Well if that’s my way of dealing”, she looked back to Jack. “Is she yours?”

Jack followed her eye line until he spotted Emma walking briskly towards them. He thought he had lost her through the crowd at the diner.

Obviously not.

“Hey”, she grinned towards Jack. “Didn’t know where you’d gone”

Jack put on a smile as he turned to her. “Yeah sorry about that”, he lied before looking back over at Martha who was finding this all too amusing.

“Short leash”, Martha exclaimed as she raised her eyebrows in judgment.

Before Jack had a chance to answer, Emma jumped in to her own defence. “Why, you jealous or something?”, she cackled icily. “Because last time I checked, you and Jack weren’t dating”, she smirked up at Jack as he shifted uncomfortably on the spot.

“Ten points for keeping up”, Martha rolled her eyes before plonking herself down to tie up a loose shoelace that had fallen undone.

Emma continued to shoot dirty looks towards her. She hated the way she made her look in front of Jack and she was never going to let her have the last laugh. Even if it took forever.

“I’m gonna go”, Martha lifted herself up before quickly brushing the bits of sand that had become stuck to her. Giving a small smile in Jack’s direction, she brushed past them as she continued to run down the beach.

Jack turned around quickly, hoping that Martha would still be there, but she wasn’t. It wasn’t like when they were together, it wasn’t even like when they were friends. They were just two separate people now and no matter what he said or did, he couldn’t change that.

------------------------

Later that afternoon…

“No I’m fine”, Martha spoke to Tasha through her phone. “It’s not sad! I’m just going to the diner. Yes by myself”, she continued to argue with her.

In the distance Jack was watching as she laughed to the person on the phone. She must have changed from her earlier run because she was know wearing a pair of shorts and her favourite top. Jack knew because the day she bought that top was the day she had hounded him and hounded him until eventually… he had bought it.

“Jack mate. Where’s your head?”, Daniel broke his line of vision with a wave of his hand.

He sighed as he regained his focus on where he was. Sat outside the diner with a couple of mates from footy and some girls. Same thing they did practically every night, much to Jack’s disinterest.

“Oi look, your ex is here”, one of them said as they nudged Jack slightly. Jack groaned as Emma’s ears immediately pricked up at the mention of her.

“Don’t you dare”, he whispered harshly as he grabbed her arm to stop her moving.

Emma yanked her arm away from Jack’s hold and continued to stand up. “I covered for you this morning. So don’t try and stop me”, she spoke quietly into his ear before making her way over to Martha.

“Oh wait. Ahh I’ll call you back”, Martha stopped and smiled as she saw Emma walking towards her. “Yeah, bye”, she hung up the phone.

“Twice in one day”, she laughed once Emma was in earshot. “To whom do I owe the pleasure?”

“Pfft. I wouldn’t be smirking if I were you. You remember what happened last time at school don’t you?”, she smiled teasingly.

“Give it a break”, Martha scoffed as she put her phone back in her bag. She was actually a bit surprised that Emma was showing her bad side while Jack was sat behind her. Not that he was close enough to hear much anyway. “You pushed me over, that’s it. You hardly fought me”, she continued.

Emma turned around and looked at Jack, who was sitting uncomfortably trying not to be noticed. She felt Martha start to move past her in an effort to keep walking.

“Actually”, she stopped her dead in her tracks. “I haven’t finished talking”

“Go find out what they’re talking about”, Matt tried to push him up to talk to them.

He sat back down instantly hoping neither Martha or Emma had seen him get up. “Nar. They can sort things out for themselves”, he lied. He knew Emma would be hoeing into Martha about anything she could. It took all his will power not to get up and help her but he knew he couldn’t. Otherwise Emma would tell.

Martha stepped back as she stepped into her personal space. She was amazed at her attitude and how in control Emma actually thought she was.

“That’s your problem”, she laughed before Emma stopped her once more.

“Jack told me”, she blurted out, getting straight to the point.

“Told you what?”, Martha dragged out her words as she tried to figure out what she was implying.

“About you”, she eyed her rudely. “All about you… and your crummy little family”, she snickered as she saw the look of fear in Martha’s eyes. “What? Surprised that he told?”

Martha tried to shoulder past her in an effort to get her hands on Jack.

“I wouldn’t”, Emma stopped her and Martha looked away. She smiled proudly to herself as she saw tears well up in the corner of Martha’s eyes. “You don’t want everyone knowing do you?”

“Shut up”, was all Martha could respond as she failed miserably to show no emotion.

“I mean, who says he’d care anyway? Who says he’d even want you?”, she spoke spitefully as she pushed her finger into her arm. “Your dad obviously didn’t want you. Well, except to kick around a bit hey Martha?”

Martha flinched at her touch and stepped back from her once more. She tried her hardest to hold back from hurting her as she slapped painful memories in her face. But the fact that Jack was the cause of this, was all too much for her.

“You’re mum didn’t want you either. The first sign of abuse and she runs! Just leaves you for the worthless person you really are”, she continued.

“Oh look she’s cracking”, Jack raised his head as Matt called those words out. Instantly, Martha’s eyes fell onto his. She had tears rolling down her face as she kept shaking her head sadly.

Jack immediately picked himself off the table as he saw her.

“And then there’s Jack. The fact that I’m telling you all this doesn’t exactly leave his arms wide open for you does it?” Emma smirked to herself as Jack approached them hastily.

“What’s going on?”, both his voice and face were filled with worry as he reached out to touch Martha.

“Get away!”, she jerked her arm away from his before turning around to run off.

“Did you tell her!?”, he yelled as he turned back to Emma.

“If I did she probably would have hit you”, Emma rolled her eyes before walking back to where everyone was.

Forgetting about Emma, Jack started to run after Martha. He had no idea where she had gone but he had to find her.

He stopped as he heard a soft sob coming from behind him. As he turned he saw her, crunched up in ball, leant up against the side wall of the diner.

“Martha”, he sighed, relieved that he had found her. “What the hell happened back there?”

“I said get away from me”, she cried as she stood herself up to walk away.

“No, Martha tell me”, he jumped in front of her, grabbing each arm in a secure hold so she couldn’t get passed him.

“Get off me!”, she began to sob heavily as the tears ran freely down her cheeks. She tried to wriggle out from beneath him but he was holding her in a way in which she couldn’t.

“Tell me what’s wrong”, he tried again as she continually pulled herself against him. Her body was shaking as her body started to wear tired of her efforts.

She cried out as he felt her arms relax slightly. Her attempts to escape him were defective.

“Please Martha”, he looked down at her sadly as she refused to gain eye contact with him.

“Why can’t you leave me alone?”, she whimpered as he loosened his grip on her arms loose enough so he wasn’t hurting her but still enough so she couldn’t get away.

“What did I do?”, Jack whispered as all else on his mind floated away and he kept all his focus on Martha.

“Don’t act like you don’t know”, she became infuriated by his innocence and again tried to pry herself away from where he had cornered her between himself and the wall. “How could you Jack? I thought I knew you but yo-”

“I don’t know what you’re saying!”

“Do you know how much that hurt?”, she choked on her tears. “Not only to have all the problems I’ve gone through… shoved in my face. But to then be laughed at like she did”, her voice broke into a mere whisper.

“She laughed at you? What about?”, he asked her, unaware of anything she was saying.

“About Dad!”, she raised her voice loudly as she looked him in the eye. “And about Mum! My ‘crummy’ little family apparently. Why am I telling you this anyway? You’re probably the one who called us that”, she finally managed to free her arms from his hold.

“But… How?”, he shifted away from her faintly.

“You told her!”, she cried as tears began to strain her eyes again. The reality of someone she loved and trusted so much betraying her like that becoming overwhelming.

“Wh.. Me!? How could you even think that”, his brow scrunched up into a confused frown as he stared down at her, so repelled that she didn’t want to be anywhere near him.

“Think it? She told me Jack!”, she argued with him adamantly.

Jack fought all his urges to storm straight back to Emma and tell her where to go. “She’s lying!”, he sighed before she turned back to him.

“What?”, she asked. Her tears had now subsided, but Jack knew that one wrong word and that wouldn’t be the case.

“I would never be that spiteful to go out of my way to hurt you. I love you”, he hushed as he placed his hands gently on her shoulders.

Martha’s breath caught in her throat as she remained pressed against the wall, her heartbeat fastening at their closeness. “How do I know?”, she ignored his last words.

“In all your life, have I ever told a soul?”, he more pointed out than asked.

She responded with a slow shake of the head. He was right. In fact, if anyone had ever brought it up he’d jump down their throat in a second defending her.

“I’m sorry”, she exhaled steadily, feeling guilty. “It would have made Emma so happy to think I’d bought into her lies”

“Who cares what she thinks…”, Jack muttered quietly as he let his forehead fall against Martha’s softly. “…and I’m sorry. All I seem to be doing lately is hurting you”, he said sincerely.

“Not true”, Martha softly smiled. “When you told me you loved me, it felt… nice”, she tried to find a word that fit.

Jack’s arm dropped slowly off her shoulders and tucked into the small of her back. Martha’s hands scrunched nervously as she hesitated to place them on his chest. She felt so warm and safe in what felt like the most secure embrace.

Throwing away all rational thoughts, Martha pulled herself up and their noses brushed softly. A smile spread on her lips as she noticed his similar expression. Within a second he captured her lips in a tender kiss. She responded immediately, her body yearning to feel more of what she had missed these past weeks.

She pulled away for a moment before letting her body close back in on his, her arms wrapping contentedly around his neck. He continued to hold her as he felt her cry as she grieved for the people and memories she had been forced to think back on.

Little Martha and little Jack had a pretty tough childhood. :( I like the way they are there for each other, even when they are so young.

Emma is a b****! I hate her. :angry:

Martha and Jack are getting closer. :wub:

I have the feeling Emma will ruin it again because she knows something about Jack, something Martha won't be happy about. I just hope Jack didn't sleep with Emma.

More please.

Archived