Family Matters

Guest Red Ranger 1

CHAPTER 21

Aden and Ruby were kissing in the doorway.“I really am going to have to go in a minute,”she told him.

He grinned at her.“What, now you’ve got what you want from me?”

“More like now that it’s light and Charles is self-destructing.If I’m not home in an hour, she’ll have a squad car out looking for me.”

“Well, the police knocking on that door wouldn’t be a good look so, reluctantly, I guess I’ll let you go.”He gave a quick kiss goodbye and watched her head down the path until she was out of sight.Then he turned round to see Roman standing in the kitchen, looking at him intently.He sighed.“Okay, if you’re about to give me the ‘Do you know what you’re doing?’ speech…”

“Well, you both looked pretty happy so I don’t think I need to say anything.”

Aden turned round as he saw movement at the front door.“Morning, Nic.”

“For you, maybe,”Nicole retorted as she pushed past him and headed upstairs.

Roman watched her departure for a moment and then sighed.“Not so sure whether or not I need to say something about that though.”

Belle watched Geoff sitting in silence on the sofa for a long time before she needed to say something. “Nicole left pretty early this morning,”she commented.

“Mmm, yeah,”Geoff agreed, non-committally.

Belle went over and sat down in one of the seats near the sofa.“Did something happen between you last night?”

Geoff looked at her for a moment, as though unsure whether he should say anything.“I kind of overstepped a boundary last night.”

Belle raised her eyebrows in surprise.“You overstepped a boundary?”

“I know, I know.I’m meant to be the one saying we have to wait, that there’s things you’re not supposed to do.And then I go and do that.”

“How did Nicole react?”

“She was upset.She said that if she’d gone along with it, I’d have hated her for it.And the thing is I probably would have done.Not hated her exactly but…I’d have regretted it.I hadn’t really thought it through.”

“Acting on your feelings without thinking things through.I’ve done that a few times.What do you think now?”

“I don’t know!It’s not fair on Nicole to treat her like this and it’s got to the stage where I’m not even sure what I want anymore.What do you think I should do?”

Belle shook her head.“I’m the last person you should be taking relationship advice from.For a start, the last time I spoke to you about Nicole, you broke up with her the following day.”

“That was because…”Geoff stopped.He looked thoughtful.

“What?”Belle asked.

Geoff looked at her for a moment then shook his head.“You’d probably tell me I was wrong.”

“Do you think you are wrong?”

“Doesn’t matter what I think.”Geoff was on his feet and heading for the door.“It only matters what Nicole thinks.”

Ruby would have preferred a bit of time to herself, to work out her feelings about the new path her life had taken, but unfortunately the class’ science project was due in the following week and so she’d arranged to meet Annie and Melody at the caravan park so they could write up their notes together.The three of them were grouped around the table in the kitchen, copying out their results in their best handwriting, while Ruby’s mind was about as far away from Newton’s Laws of Motion as it was possible to me, replaying the previous night in worryingly precise detail.

Her eyes fell on the bottle of Tipex in the middle of the table and an idea began forming in her mind.She stole a glance at Melody and saw that she was concentrating on her work.She reached forward, her hand encircling the bottle, and slowly drew it towards her before moving it under the table, out of sight.She saw Annie staring at her with puzzled eyes and gave her a quick look that she hoped she recognised as an instruction to remain quiet.She went back to her writing for a moment then gave an exclamation of annoyance.“Damn, I’ve copied this bit out wrong.Mel, have you got any Tipex?”

“Yes, of course, it’s…”Melody raised her head to look and her eyes rested on the empty space from which Ruby had just removed the bottle.She looked at it, confused.“It was right there.”

“Are you sure you brought it down?”Ruby asked.

Melody began searching through her pencil case.“I was sure it was in here, I remember getting it out when we came down…”

“Maybe you should check upstairs?”

Melody nodded uncertainly.“Yes, okay, I’ll be right down.”

The other two waited until she’d left the room, then Annie looked at Ruby perplexed.“Why did you..?”

“I slept with Aden last night,”Ruby blurted out, gripping her friend’s arm.

“Oh.Right.Um, is that good?”

Ruby sighed, her bubble burst slightly.“Yes, Annie, it’s good, it means our relationship is progressing.” She could see Annie still wasn’t getting the message.“Okay, quick rule of thumb, if your best friend announces something momentous like that, at least try and act pleased for her.”

“Well, if you’re happy, then I’m pleased but…what was it like?”

“I don’t know.Special, I guess.I think it means he likes me.”

“Are you sure?I mean, Belle slept with that guy in Perth and they didn’t really like each other.”

“Annie, trust me.I may not be an expert but he likes me.”

Melody came back in.“I’m sorry, I’ve looked everywhere but…”

“Oh, sorry.”Ruby placed the bottle back on the table guiltily.“It had fallen on the floor.”

Melody shot her a look of mild annoyance before taking her seat.“What were you talking about?”

Ruby gave Annie a warning look.“Oh, you know, just relationship stuff.Nothing important.”

“Oh, right.”Melody didn’t look at them but they could both see the smile spreading across her face.“I thought you were telling her that you’d slept with Aden.”

“Thanks for coming,”Geoff told Nicole as he let her into the house.

Nicole went over to the sofa.“This had better be good.”

“Well, that’s the idea.”Geoff took a seat near her.“I’m sorry about last night, Nic.You’re right, I made the rules, I should have stuck to them.I wasn’t thinking.”

“Not with your head, anyway.”

“But I’ve been thinking now.And we can’t go on like this.I mean, this isn’t the sort of relationship you want and judging from last night there’s a big part of me that wants something more as well.But I’ve always thought I couldn’t have that sort of relationship, not without getting married.”

Nicole had been looking increasingly worried throughout the speech.“Are you saying we should break up?”

“I don’t want to.I want to be with you.In every sense.”He took a deep breath.“I think we should get engaged.”

Nicole sighed.“Okay, Geoff, getting a sense of déjà vu here…”

“I don’t mean we should get married tomorrow or next year.We’re too young.What I mean is…I’ve always thought I’d get married one day.And I think I want it to be to you.So, maybe we should make a promise to each other.That one day, when the time’s right and we’re both ready to get married, it’s going to be to each other.”

Nicole was quiet for a moment.“Geoff, I’ve never really thought about getting married.I could never really see it.But I wouldn’t want to marry anyone apart from you.So, yeah, I think when I get married, it’ll be to you.”

“You promise?”

Nicole gave him an exasperated look and held up her hand in a Girl Guide salute.“I, Nicole Franklin, promise that one day I will marry Geoff Campbell.Happy now?”

He reached into his pocket and took out a small jewellery box.“Then will you have this?”

Amazed, Nicole took it from him and flipped it open to reveal an engagement ring.“You didn’t.”

“Took just about every cent I’d saved up but yeah.You don’t have to wear it or tell people what it is…”

Nicole took the ring out of the box and placed it on the third finger of her left hand.“Why wouldn’t I want people to know what it is?”She leaned forward and kissed him, the embrace growing more and more passionate until she pulled back suddenly.“Hang on, are you saying this means..?”

“Well, it’s not legal or anything but we’ve both made a promise to each other so…”

“Okay, you can explain it to me afterwards,”she interrupted, as she hauled him to his feet and dragged him towards the bedroom.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, everyone.I think with this chapter this story overtakes Shattered to be the longest fiction I've posted on here...and it's still not quite over...

CHAPTER 22

“You know, an engagement was once a legally binding contract,”Geoff was saying as he and Nicole walked hand in hand along the path by the beach,“If you changed your mind, it wasn’t just a question of giving the ring back, you had to go through this whole process to break it.”

“So what are you saying, Geoff?”Nicole asked in amusement,“You want me to sign something?”

“No, no, I’m just saying…that’s what this is to me.Something that’s as binding as a marriage, something that you can’t just forget about if you wake up in the morning feeling different.”

Nicole stopped, turned him round to face her and then kissed him.“Me too.”

Geoff smiled at her, satisfied.“You sure you want to do this?”

Nicole took his arm as they continued walking.“I told you.I’m not going to hide this.”

As Aden entered the Diner, he picked out Ruby sitting with her friends.He was surprised to find a grin spreading across his face at the sight of her, matched by the smile she gave when she saw him.He hadn’t realised how much just seeing her cheered him up.He pulled up a chair and sat down at her table.“So, you been coping all right without me?”

Ruby checked her watch.“Well, yeah, Aden, it’s been all of four hours since we last saw each other.I really don’t know how I’ve coped.”

“Four hours, huh?Guess we’ve got a lot of catching up to do.”He leaned in and kissed her.A lot.Annie, Jai and Melody looked at each other for a moment then quietly moved to another table.The other two didn’t seem to notice.

Belle watched the pair for a moment, thinking that they looked happy.And to her surprise, she realised she didn’t feel jealous.She was glad her brother was happy.Her brother.When did she automatically start to think of him as that?

Geoff and Nicole headed up to the counter, attracting Roman’s attention.“Oh, hi there,”he greeted them, “What can I get you?”

“Just a couple of OJs for me and my fiancè here,”Nicole replied.

It seemed to take Roman a couple of seconds to process what he’d just heard.“Your what?”

Nicole held up her hand, showing off the engagement ring.“That is the right word, isn’t it?”

Roman was looking from one to the other.“You’re getting married?”

“Not just yet,”Geoff assured him.

“It’s going to be a long engagement,”put in Nicole.

“Very long.”

“So don’t worry, father of the bride, we’re not going to be asking you to fork out just yet.”

“Right.”Roman still didn’t seem entirely sure what had just happened.“Congratulations then.”

As Geoff and Nicole turned away, they were almost flattened by Annie running up and throwing her arms round them, a bemused-looking Jai right behind her.“You’re getting married?”she babbled,“That’s really great.Can I be bridesmaid?”

“Maybe we’ll let you know nearer the time,”Geoff suggested.

“But provisionally, you’re top of the list,”Nicole told her.

“Well, um, congratulations both of you,”Jai added.

“I’ll second that.”Aden and Ruby had come over.“Guess you two deserve each other.”

Nicole noticed the way Aden had his arm round Ruby’s waist.He didn’t even seem to realise he’d done it, it was as though it was just natural.“Guess you two do as well.”

The pair looked round and noticed Melody had come over as well.They held their breaths;after all, she hadn’t been entirely happy about their relationship in the past.“I guess this is the bit where I’m meant to say I’m happy for you,”she commented.She paused a moment.“I hope you’re happy.Is that close enough?”

Geoff smiled at her.“That’s fine, Mel.”

“Thanks, Mel,”echoed Nicole.

Annie and Ruby both took Nicole’s arms, steering her towards a table.“So how did he propose?”Annie asked.

“We want all the details,”Ruby added.

Nicole thought for a moment.“Maybe you’d be better off with the edited highlights…”

Left alone for a moment, Geoff suddenly noticed Belle standing there, watching him closely.“Your vibe’s changed,”she said at last.

“What?”Geoff was confused, although as he examined her expression he had a feeling he knew what she meant.

“Girls know these things, Geoff.”She smiled and hugged him.“I hope you’re happy too.”

“But you won’t be if you leave your fiancè on her own much longer,”Aden interrupted.Geoff looked at him and took the hint, leaving the two of them alone.Aden looked at Belle and nodded towards the door. “You want to take a walk?”

“So what did you want to talk about?”Belle asked as they walked along the beach.

“I guess I just wanted to talk,”Aden replied.

“What, you just had a random urge?”

“Yeah.I mean, we’ve always been able to talk.We’ve lost an awful lot the past few months, I don’t wanna lose that too.I’m in a new relationship, you’re expecting a baby, even what Geoff and Nicole just did, we should be able to talk about that.”

“Even more so now.I always thought if I had a brother I’d be able to talk to him.”She glanced at him worriedly.“It’s okay to call you that, isn’t it?”

He shrugged.“It’s what I am.”

“So, what’s this new girlfriend of yours like then?”

Aden grinned.“She’s great.I mean, we have fun together.I enjoy being around her, y’know?”

“Do you love her?”

He thought for a moment.“I think I’m starting to.”He looked for her reaction and saw her nod slowly. “And what about you?Baby on the way?”

“Oh, you know, nothing special.I mean, I’m excited of course but, hey, women have been doing it for thousands of years…”

“You’re terrified, aren’t you?”

“Completely.I mean, what do I know about giving birth?And what do I know about being a mother?At least giving birth only lasts a few hours, being a mother that’s, well, a lifetime.”

“You’ll do fine, Belle.And if you need any help, you’ve got a proud uncle here who’ll be glad to lend a hand.”

They stopped and hugged.She felt his arms around her and told herself that it wasn’t wrong to like them being there.It was the way things should be.They released each other and stepped back, neither sure how the other would react.“Did you feel anything?”she asked at last.

He grinned.“Just you, sis.”

Thanks, as ever, for the comments and, as ever, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 23

Aden was sitting up in bed as Ruby finished getting dressed.Over the past few months, her sleepovers had become more and more frequent and protests from Roman or Charlie had become less and less.“You sure you can’t stay a bit longer?”

“We don’t all get days off,”she reminded him,“Some of us have to go to school.”

“Couldn’t you throw a sickie or something?”

“Right, yeah.You going to write me a note, are you?Ruby couldn’t come in today because she needed to spend time with her boyfriend?”

“Well, yeah, they might buy it.”

Grinning, Ruby leaned in and kissed him and he grabbed hold of her, trying to wrestle her back into bed. He was interrupted by the trilling of his mobile on the bedside table.He reached out to answer it as Ruby gently pulled free of his grip and clambered to her feet.

“Hello?Oh, hi, Irene, yeah, I had my mobile off last night…What?Okay, I’ll be right there.Tell her to wait for me!”He ended the call and looked at Ruby.“Give me a minute and I’ll drop you off at school on the way.”

“Way where?”

“The hospital.Belle’s gone into labour.”

Aden dashed into the delivery room to be met by the sight of Belle sitting up and cradling a baby, Matilda sat beside her.He sighed.“I missed it!”

“Wish you could have been here,”Belle told him,“You could have taken my place.”

Mattie glanced from one of them to the other.“Okay, well, I’ll go and let the others know what’s happening.”She quickly excused herself from the room, patting Aden on the shoulder as she did so.

Aden stared hard at the baby for a while before giving up.“Okay, so, um, is that my nephew or my niece?”

Belle smiled at him.“It’s a girl, Aden.”

“Oh.”He sat down on the bed.“I was gonna suggest naming the kid after me.”

“Well, we could still do that.Aden’s not a particularly masculine name…”

“Don’t even joke about it, sister.”

“I was thinking of calling her Emily.”

Aden mulled this over for a second then nodded.“Emily.Yeah, that’s kinda cool.”

“Do you want a hold?”

A look of mild fear crossed Aden’s face.“Me?I don’t know what I’m doing!”

“Oh and you think I do?Come on.”Belle placed her daughter into Aden’s reluctant arms.“Emily, this is your Uncle Aden.And he’s always going to be there for us and look after us.”She looked at him.“Right?”

He nodded.“Right.”

“Good.Because I was kinda wondering if you’d be her godfather?”

Aden looked surprised and pleased.“Belle, I’d love to.”

Irene and Amanda came hurrying in and stopped.Irene kissed Belle on the top of the head.“Oh, love, I’m so proud of you.”

“We both are,”Amanda echoed.

Belle took her daughter back from Aden.“And these are your two grandmothers,”she told her,“It’s a bit of an odd set-up but you’ll get used to it.”

Two more heads appeared round the doorway with a squeal of “Oh my god, she’s so tiny!” and a more sedate “She’s great, Belle.”

“And that’s your Uncle Geoff and your Auntie Nicole,”Belle continued,“You’ll probably get used to them as well.Just be glad we didn’t bring your Auntie Annie as well.”

“She’ll be in later,”Irene told her,“Matilda’s just ringing round and letting everyone know.”

“Ruby said she might pop in after school as well,”Aden noted.

“And Peter’s bringing Ryan up from the city later on to see his new niece,”Amanda added.She paused, as though uncertain whether she should go on or not.“Belle, there is someone else who I think would like to see her.”

“Who?”

“Her grandfather.”Amanda was aware of the abrupt change of mood in the room.“Belle, you forgave me. Don’t you think he deserves a chance as well?”

Belle looked at Aden.“What do you think?”

“I think he’d like to see her, yeah.I can go with you if you like.”

“Yeah, love,”Irene agreed,“Or Amanda or I could go with you.”

Belle looked at the faces before her and was surprised by who her gaze settled on.“Geoff, would you go with me?”

Geoff looked even more surprised than her.“Yeah, sure, Belle, but…why me?”

“Because, hard as it is to believe, I think I can trust you not to say the wrong thing.”

Belle sat on the uncomfortable seat, Emily resting in her arms and Geoff sat beside her, as Larry came over to them, looking as nervous as she felt.He took his seat before glancing at her.“Hi, Belle.”

“Hi…Dad.”The word sounded strange to her.She’d called her adoptive father Dad but that had largely been a courtesy, there had been no real connection between them.Was there really a connection between her and Larry?“This is Geoff, a friend of mine.”

“Mr.Jefferies,”Geoff greeted him.

Larry’s eyes were fixed on the baby in Belle’s arms.“And this is Emily,”she continued,“Your granddaughter.”

Larry seemed pleased at the description but there remained a melancholy air about him.“Not gonna be much of a grandfather in here, am I?”

Something snapped inside Belle.She’d heard enough self-pitying speeches from him in the past.“So that’s another responsibility you can conveniently forget about, is it?”

“I didn’t mean that, all I mean is there’s not a lot I can do.”

“So you’re going to do nothing, same as always?How long have you known I was your daughter?Nearly a year now?And you’ve made not one attempt to contact me.”

“Well, what about you?I’m not exactly hard to find here.”

Belle shook her head.“I don’t know what I was doing coming here.Come on, Geoff, we’re going.”

“Belle, Mr.Jefferies, stop!”Geoff swallowed hard before looking at Larry.“Mr.Jefferies, I don’t know how I’d feel if in twenty years time a young woman turned up saying she was my daughter.But I think I’d like to get to know her.And trust me, Belle’s worth getting to know.I didn’t think so at first either but I was wrong. And, Belle, from what I’ve heard you came to Summer Bay to find your parents.And you’ve done it. You’ve got two parents who love you.They’re not perfect but neither was Pop and both Annie and I would do anything to see him and our parents again.Don’t throw this away.”

Belle and Larry both looked ashamed for a moment.Then Larry spoke up.“I’m glad you came, Belle.”

Belle nodded.“Me too.”

“I am so sorry,”Geoff said as they exited the prison, Belle pushing Emily in her pram.

“Sorry?What for?”

“Well, you brought me along because you trusted me not to say the wrong thing and then…”

“Geoff, whatever you said in there, it wasn’t the wrong thing.And I’m glad you came.”She thought for a moment.“You’re the expert on this.Is it okay for a girl to have two godfathers?”

“Well, in theory you can have as many as you want.”

“Good.”She linked her arm with him and they both placed their hands on the pram rail, pushing Emily along.“And by the way, you were worth getting to know as well.”

Final chapter!Which hopefully will only please or disappoint people in a good way.Hope you like it.

CHAPTER 24

“Parents and godparents, the church receives this child with joy.Today we are trusting God for her growth in faith.Will you pray for her and draw her by your example into the community of faith and walk with her into the way of Christ?”

Belle couldn’t quite believe she’d ended up back in a church so quickly but she’d wanted the traditional service.Emily was nestling in her arms, oblivious to the fact she was the centre of attention.The four godparents-Aden, Matilda, Geoff and Annie-were standing around her, displaying varying degrees of interest in the proceedings.Nicole, Ruby and Jai had come along to support their partners.Irene was there of course and Amanda and Peter and Ryan.Aden had asked her to invite Roman, Morag and Ross and she’d been happy to oblige him so they were there too.

“With the help of God, we will.”

There was an almighty crashing noise near the door and Ric and Gaz hurried in, looking apologetic, fresh off the plane from Perth.Ric went to stand by Matilda while Gaz hovered near the edge of the group, uncertain where he should be.Belle indicated with her head for him to stand by her and he nodded gratefully.She pointed out their place to him on the service sheet.

The vicar continued his litany, with the air of someone who was used to such interruptions.“In baptism this child begins her journey in faith.You speak for her today.Will you care for her and help her to take her place within the life and worship of Christ's Church?”

“With the help of God, we will.”

The vicar took Belle’s daughter from her arms and gently poured water over her head.“Emily, I baptise you in the name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit.Amen.”

“It was a lovely service, Belle,”Morag commented as they all stood around the church afterwards,“But I’m afraid Ross and I must be on our way shortly.”

Belle nodded.“Thanks for coming.I know it meant a lot to Aden.”

Morag raised an eyebrow slightly.“Well, since he seems to have taken up with my stepdaughter in my absence, I suppose it’s best for us to oblige him.”

“You have a beautiful daughter, young lady,”put in Ross.

“Thanks, Mr.Buckton,”Belle replied, choosing to ignore the fact he’d been looking at Matilda.She glanced over her shoulder.“I think I need to go and interrupt the father-daughter bonding session.”She made her way to the corner when an awkward-looking Gaz was holding Emily, looking as though he thought either he was about to drop her or she was about to explode.“How are you two getting on?”

“Um, okay.The godfathers are keeping an eye on me.”He nodded to Aden and Geoff, who were standing either side of him, watching every move he made.

“Thanks, boys.Shoot.”Belle made a quick motion with her head and the pair trotted off obediently.

Gaz handed Emily back to her, stroking her face slightly.“Thanks for inviting me along.”

“No problem.If there’s one thing I’ve learnt recently, it’s that a girl needs to get to know her father.”

“I promise I’ll never forget a single birthday.And I’ll come down and see her whenever I can.”He noticed the smile on Belle’s face.“What?”

“I was just wondering if this is the longest conversation we’ve ever had.”

“We did a bit of talking that night.In between the drinking and the…other stuff.”

“Mmm.Sleeping with a virtual stranger and getting pregnant wasn’t the smartest thing I’ve done but…I’m glad I had enough sense to choose one who was actually a decent guy.”

He nodded at the compliment.“Ric and I have to head back pretty sharpish, we’re in work tomorrow.I think Matilda’s coming back with us.”

“Hmm, deserting her godmotherly duties already.Maybe I should reconsider.”

“You going to be all right?”

Belle looked back at the people behind her.Her friends.Her family.“Yeah, I think I am.”

Belle was surprised when she opened her eyes to find that it was dark.She’d just gone to her room to have a quick lie down after the christening but checking her clock she saw that hours had gone by.She must have been more tired than she thought.Then something occurred to her:Emily.

Belle shot up off her bed and headed out into the living room.She was brought up short by the sight of Aden sitting on the sofa, lit only by a sidelight, Emily asleep in his arms.“Easy,”he warned her,“Wake her up and we’ll both be in trouble.”

Belle smiled as she went over to him.“What are you still doing here?”

“Annie seemed to be flagging a bit so I sent her to bed.Said I’d keep an eye on Emily till you woke up.”

“That could have been hours.”

“That was.”

She sat down beside him, thinking how at home her daughter looked with him.“I think she likes you.You must have that effect on all the women in this family.”

“Our family, you mean?”

“Yeah.Still taking a bit of getting used to, isn’t it?”

“That’s one way of putting it.I thought we’d be a family one day but I didn’t think it’d involve me being an uncle.Not exactly the way we planned it, huh?”

She touched his hand gently.“It doesn’t matter what sort of family we are.All that matters is that we are one.And family matters, right?”

Aden smiled at her.“Family matters.”

Comments

Archived