Family Matters

Guest Red Ranger 1

Thanks for your comments, guys.Sorry if you thought Aden going to stay with Amanda seemed a bit random, it's probably my fault, I wrote that chapter in a bit of a hurry.Hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 11

Matilda could hear the noises coming from the living area.They didn’t seem to have disturbed Ric but then there were times when it seemed he could sleep through anything.Cautiously, she got out of bed, put on her dressing gown and eased open the bedroom door.She could see Belle sitting on the sofa, her face lit by the lamp next to her, sobbing.

“Belle?”Matilda asked as she slowly approached her,“We were worried about you.What’s wrong?”

“I slept with Gaz,”Belle managed in between sobs.

“Oh, Belle.”Matilda sat down on the chair arm next to her friend, putting her arm around her and letting her bury herself in her side.

“I thought it would make me feel better but it’s just made me feel ten times worse.God, I’m such a slut.”

“No, you’re not,”Matilda told her firmly,“We’ve all done stupid things like that.Look at me.I went and slept with Simon just to prove a point to Ric.”

“I just…I didn’t want to have to tell anyone that the last guy I slept with was someone that I really liked only he turned out to be my brother.So now I get to tell them it was someone I met five minutes previous and was barely on first name terms with.”

“Stop beating yourself up, Belle.You got drunk and made a mistake.That doesn’t make you a bad person.”

“But how did my life end up like this?I just feel like I’m in some sort of limbo.I don’t know how I feel about Aden, I don’t know how I feel about Mum…I don’t even know how I feel about myself.”

“Well, starting from tomorrow, we’re going to find out.”

As soon as breakfast had finished, Aden started giving Nicole pointed looks.Remembering what they’d agreed the previous night, she sighed before putting on her most appealing grin.“Hey, Ryan.You feel like playing in the garden with me?”

“You want to kick a ball around?”Ryan asked.

Nicole winced at the thought.“Couldn’t we just play tennis or something?”

Ryan thought about that for a moment.“Okay, tennis is good.Come on, new sister.”

“Okay, how come I’m suddenly your sister?”

“Belle’s my sister, Aden’s her brother, you’re his sister.That makes you my sister.”

“Never argue with a kid, Nicole,”Peter told her.

“So I’m learning.”Nicole glared at Aden.“I’m not quite sure how many you owe me by now but trust me, I’m making a list.”

Amanda watched the pair until they had gone outside then turned to Aden.“So, Aden.Morag said you had some things you needed to ask me.”

“Can we sit down?”Aden asked, gesturing to the seating area.

“I can go outside with Ryan and Nicole if you want,”Peter suggested.

“No, that’s all right, Peter, there’s nothing I don’t want you to hear,”Amanda assured him.Then she looked at Aden.“Unless you want to talk in private?”

Aden was tempted to say that he did but he could see Amanda wanted Peter to stay and he understood her needing support.“It’s okay,”he said at last.He took his seat and waited for Peter and Amanda to do likewise. “Dad told me some of what happened and Belle told me some of what you told her.But…you were so young.”

“I grew up fast,”Amanda admitted.

“But still…I can’t help thinking my dad must have known.And that’s what’s worrying me, that he knew and it didn’t make any difference to him.Because…”He paused, looking at them both, trying to muster up the courage to say it.Ever since he’d gone public about his past in court, he’d never been sure who knew and who didn’t.“Because it never made any difference to my grandfather.And if he was like that and my dad was like that, then I’m worried…”He trailed off, unable to voice his fears.

“It doesn’t take much for a fourteen-year-old girl to make herself look eighteen,”Amanda told him,“A few grown-up clothes, a bit of make-up.I’d had practise, believe me.He didn’t know, I’m sure of it.”

“But still…”

“I’m not going to pretend that me and your father was some great love affair, Aden.I’m not even going to pretend I really knew him.But he was all right with me.He didn’t hurt me or make me do anything I didn’t want him to do.Whatever other faults he might have, he was not like your grandfather.”She leaned forward slightly and touched his hand, looking him in the eye.“And neither is anyone else in your family.”

Irene and Geoff were occupied with balancing shopping bags when they got home so they didn’t realise they weren’t alone until they heard a familiar voice saying “Hi, Irene.”

Irene practically dropped her bags at the sight of the two girls in her living room.“Belle!Mattie!When did you get here?Er, Geoff, put that stuff away, would you?”She threw her arms round the pair.“When did you get here?”

“We just flew in,”Belle explained,“We would have called you but it was a bit of a rush.”

Irene glanced at Matilda.“And what about you, just dropping in like this?”

“Well, I told Ric he’d have to manage on his own for a while.”

“Have you got anywhere to stay?I mean, we’re a bit full here but you can stop in Belle’s room.”

“Actually, this is just a flying visit,”Belle admitted,“We’re going to head over and see Mum.”

“Amanda?”

“Yeah.I didn’t really give her a chance to talk last time and I really think we need to sort a few things out.”

“Okay, love, but…you should know Aden’s there.”

Belle looked surprised.“Aden?Why?”

Irene shrugged.“He’s been staying at the city with Morag for the last week.Then this morning Roman told me he’d gone to your mum’s.Maybe he wanted to sort a few things out as well.”

“Well, yeah, okay, maybe that’s a good thing, give me a chance to sort stuff out with him too.”Belle glanced at Matilda.“You ready, Mattie?”

Geoff stuck his head out of the kitchen.“Um, is it all right if I come with you?”

“It’s not a Sunday school outing, Geoff,”Matilda chided.

“Yeah, I know but…Nicole’s there too and I haven’t seen her for a while.”

“Looks like Amanda’s going to have a full house,”Irene commented.

Belle sighed.“All right, Geoff, if you pack quickly you can come along.”

They’d rung ahead to let people know they were coming.So he’d probably been waiting for them, hanging about by the door, listening for the sound of the car on the drive.Certainly, almost as soon as Belle had knocked on the door, he’d flung it open.He stood there for a moment, focusing on her.“Belle,”he said in greeting, seemingly ignoring Geoff and Matilda grouped behind her.

Belle gave a polite nod of greeting back.“Aden.”

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your comments, people, hope you don't feel cheated by this one.

CHAPTER 12

Aden and Belle kept shooting glances at each other.Neither of them was entirely sure why, whether there was something they wanted to say or whether they were just checking if the other person was looking at them.Ever since Belle had arrived, they hadn’t had a chance to be alone.Space was something of a rarity in the house at that moment.

Amanda was looking at the rather large group of teenagers that had somehow taken up residence in her home, trying to work out where she was going to put them all.“Aden, do you mind sharing with Ryan?”she asked at last.

“Guess not,”Aden replied reluctantly.

“Okay, so Belle and Matilda can have your room and Geoff can share with Nicole.”

“Er, what?”Geoff asked, looking somewhat flustered.

Amanda looked from him to Nicole.“I thought you two were..?”

“We are,”Nicole confirmed,“But we’re not like that.”

“Oh.”Amanda thought again.“Well, maybe all three of the boys can share.Or one of you can take the couch.Or Peter can go in with Ryan and one of the girls can share with me…”

“It’s okay, Mrs.Baker,”Nicole assured her,“We can cope.”

Geoff still didn’t look reassured.“We can?”

“Come on, Geoff, we’re both old enough.”

“That’s kind of my point.”

“Relax.You’re not that irresistible.”

“Well, Mattie and I have been travelling all day so we’ll take our stuff up now and then go to bed,”Belle decided.

“Um, okay, Belle,”Amanda agreed, looking disappointed,“I’ll see you in the morning.”

“I thought you wanted to talk with your mum and Aden?”Matilda asked quietly as they made their way upstairs.

Belle had wanted to do that but the problem was she still hadn’t worked out what to say.“Tomorrow,”she said at last.

Nicole had been looking at Amanda during the conversation.“You know, Geoff’s right, you are an awful lot like…”

Geoff grabbed her arm hastily, hauling her towards the stairs.“All right, Nic, you’d better show me where to put my stuff.”

Peter looked at Aden, who had remained seated.“What about you, Aden?You turning in any time soon?”

“I’ll follow you up in a bit,”he replied,“Got a bit of thinking to do first.”

Nicole was lying on her own in the bed, glancing across at her boyfriend with annoyance.“Geoff, are you going to be doing that all night?”

Geoff stopped and turned to face her.“Doing what?”

“Pacing.Because if you are you’re going to keep me awake.”

“No, I just…just thought I’d give you a chance to get to sleep first.”

“Not going to happen.Get in.”

Reluctantly, Geoff slid under the covers with her.Nicole snuggled up close, resting her head against him. “Nic,”he protested wearily.

Nicole raised her head to glare at him.“What, cuddling’s not allowed now either?”

“Well, yeah, it’s allowed.”Geoff tried to face down the expectant look she was giving him, then he sighed and put his arms around her.

Nicole smiled, satisfied.“Good.Now go to sleep.”

“Mattie, are you awake?”Belle glanced across at the other bed but Matilda’s breathing was the only sound she heard in response.

Feeling thirsty, she got out of bed and headed downstairs.As she reached the living room, she started at the sight of someone sitting on the sofa.“Aden!What are you doing here?”She noticed he was still dressed. “Haven’t you been to bed yet?”

“Thought I’d give Ryan a chance to get to sleep.That kid asks too many questions.”

“You noticed that, huh?”Belle sat down at the opposite end of the sofa, suddenly conscious that she was only wearing a vest top and shorts.And then suddenly conscious that she was suddenly conscious.Would a sister normally be bothered about her brother seeing her dressed for bed?

Aden glanced across at her.“What are you thinking?”

“Just how different our lives could have been.If Mum had told people about your…about our father, we might have grown up together.”

“Wouldn’t have wished that on you.My grandfather might have liked girls as well as boys.”

“At least if we’d known each other back then, we’d know how to react to each other.What exactly does us being brother and sister mean?What do we do about it?”

“I think I need to head home tomorrow.”

“What?Aden, I’ve only just got here…”Belle trailed off.“That’s not a coincidence, is it?Aden, what sort of future are we going to have if we can’t even manage to be in the same room as each other?”

“You’re beautiful.”He gave her that same intense look he always had and, despite everything, she couldn’t help but smile.“I can’t help noticing it.When you’re not here, I wish you were but when you are…I don’t know what to do about it.”

“The only way we’re going to work it out is if we spend time together, Aden.”

“You went off first, remember?You didn’t even tell me you were going.”

“So now it’s your turn?”

“I guess so.”He got to his feet and headed for the stairs.She was surprised when she heard him stop.She turned round and saw he was looking at her.“Belle, I do still want you in my life.But you need to give me time to work out how, okay?”

Thanks for the comments.I like to think I'm well known for my prompt updates.

CHAPTER 13

Annie crept quietly downstairs, noticing someone sitting there in the dark.“Irene?”she asked nervously.

Irene looked round.“Oh, hello, love.What are you doing up?”

“I thought I heard someone.Why are you up?”

“Oh, I was just thinking.”

Annie came and sat beside her.“About Belle?”

Irene looked as though she’d been crying.“Every time I think about it, I just think how unfair it is.After everything she and Aden had been through, they deserved a bit of happiness.And then this goes and happens.”

“I miss having her around.And Geoff too, now.”

Irene patted her on the arm.“Yeah, me too.But she needs to cope with this in her own way.She’ll come back to us eventually.”

“And what if she doesn’t?”

Irene nodded decisively.“She will.”

Geoff slowly shook himself back into wakefulness, mindful that he still had Nicole lying against him.It took him a few seconds to notice something was missing.He nudged Nicole gently, trying to get some sort of reaction out of her.“Mmm, what is it?”she asked sleepily.

“Er, Nicole, where’s my shirt?”

Nicole seemed to think about this for a minute before pointing.“Over there somewhere.”

Geoff glanced in the direction she was pointing and was partly relieved to see his shirt in a crumpled up pile.However, it still begged one important question.“How did it get over there?”

“I took it off.”

“Um, why?”

“Because you make a much nicer pillow without it.”

“You, er, didn’t remove anything else while you were at it, did you?”

Nicole looked up at him, smiling slightly, before settling down again.“Relax, your reputation’s safe.Now go back to sleep.”

“Nic, it’s morning.”

Nicole opened her eyes again.“Oh.Yeah.”

When Nicole headed downstairs, she found Aden, Belle and Amanda all grouped by the door.“Hey, what’s going on?”she asked, before she noticed the bag on the floor.She looked at Aden.“You’re leaving?”

“Guess it’s time for me to face the music.”

Nicole glanced at Belle for a moment before turning back to him.“You sure that’s what you’re doing?”

“Er, I’m going to see how Peter and Ryan are getting along with breakfast,”Amanda decided,“Leave you to say your goodbyes.”She touched Aden on the arm.“It was nice getting to know you, Aden.Even if this wasn’t exactly how we planned it.”

As she left them alone, Nicole spoke up.“Do you want me to go with you?”

“Nah, you stay here with Geoff.I’ll be okay back there, I’ve got your dad and…”He trailed off.

“Yes?”Nicole prompted.

“I’ve got your dad.”

“Well, I don’t expect the rest of us will be too long.”She looked at Belle.“Will we?”

“Guess not.”

“So I’ll see you when we get home.”She gave Aden a quick hug.“I think I’ll go and see how Geoff’s getting on.”

She headed back up the stairs, leaving Aden and Belle alone.“So,”Belle commented awkwardly.

“So,”Aden echoed,“What do I say now?‘See you, sis’?”

Belle felt an odd stirring of something inside her at being called that.And for the first time, she could actually see this strange situation working.“You know, that didn’t actually sound that bad.Weird but… okay.”

Aden looked at her for a moment and then hugged her.And for a moment, both of them managed to push aside any thoughts, instincts and memories that they knew were in the past and concentrate on what was left.

“I know I said I needed some time on my own,”he told her,“But…it doesn’t have to be too much time.”

Geoff was just finishing getting dressed when Nicole came back in.“Aden’s heading back to the Bay,”she told him,“I’m going to stick around for a bit.Belle looks as though she could use a friend if you want the job.”

Geoff was glaring at her, not really paying much attention to the announcement.“And you couldn’t have knocked before telling me that?”

“Geoff, you haven’t got anything I haven’t seen before.”She held up her hands.“Okay, I know, you don’t like talking about it.”

Geoff sighed and sat back down on the bed.“I’m sorry if I don’t react the way you want me to sometimes. But you’re the only person I’ve ever slept with and I never really thought it was going to happen until I was older and, you know, married.This is all a bit new to me.”

Nicole came and sat down beside him, taking his hand.“Actually, you’re the only person I’ve ever slept with.”

Geoff looked at her in surprise.“I thought you’d..?”

“Oh, I’ve done that,”she confirmed,“What I mean is you’re the only person I’ve literally slept with.The only person I’ve fallen asleep with.The others…well, let’s just say neither of us felt like hanging around afterwards.So I guess, in a sense, this is all new to me too.”

Glad you liked that chapter, I was worried it was a bit Geoff and Nicole heavy but I felt it needed both those scenes.Hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 14

Belle finished off her breakfast before heading out into the garden to look for Geoff.She found him sitting on a wall, unaware she’d come out, and paused for a moment.It had been over a week now since Aden’s departure but, despite there now being a bed free, Geoff was still sharing with Nicole.She’d heard Mattie and Amanda speculating about the exact nature of their relationship but Belle recognised the vibe coming from them.It was the same as when she and Aden had first got together, when sharing a bed with her was all he could manage.She never thought she’d find herself wishing they’d never gone any further.

Amanda…Belle’s thoughts turned briefly to her mother.They seemed to have got past that brief burst of anger she’d felt when she first found out about her parentage but the problem was they’d got past it by not talking about it.For the past week, they’d got by on polite greetings and casual chat whilst ignoring the issues that still existed.The questions that had brought her to the city in the first place remained unasked and unanswered.

“Geoff, what are you doing this morning?”she asked as her mind came back to the present and her immediate problem.

Geoff looked round in surprise, suddenly realising he wasn’t alone.“I hadn’t decided,”he said at last.

“Well, can you give me a lift to the shops?”

“Yeah, sure, where did you want to go exactly?”

“Oh, it’s okay, you just need to take me to the general area.I’ll find my own way to where I want to go.”

“No, I told you, I’ve nothing else on, I can go with you.”

Belle found herself wishing she’d brought her own car.But with the three of them and the appropriate amount of luggage to transport, Geoff’s had seemed the best bet.“Geoff, please, I need you to not ask questions here, okay?There are things I need to do on my own.”

“Okay…There’s a few charity shops near the centre, what if we drive in, I go and look in them and then we meet back at the car after an hour?”

Belle smiled, grateful.“Thanks, Geoff.”

Aden hated doing shifts at the Diner.But then he hated sitting around at home.And he really hated hanging out at the beach or around town.At least here he had something to keep him occupied and he could hide away in the kitchen if need be.Irene and Roman had had a word with Colleen and since their first conversation on the subject she’d been uncharacteristically quiet, her only comments to him being about work.The problem was the customers.Every time one of them opened their mouth or looked at him, he was convinced he was their chief topic of conversation.

It was after the fifth or sixth time that he’d snapped at someone that Roman took him aside.“Look, mate, if it’s hard for you being here, you can go home.We can cope without you.”

“No, I’m fine,”he claimed, even though he knew it wasn’t true.

“Aden, seriously, if you carry on the way you are, there isn’t going to be anyone left in the place.Now that might suit you but it’s going to result in us going out of business.”

“Roman, if I go home, all I’m going to do is sit there and think, okay?I need this.”

Roman sighed.“Okay.But just try and keep it under control.And remember, no-one in this town is out to get you.”

Aden was about to answer when he heard laughter from the nearest table.He swung round and found Annie, Ruby and Melody sitting there.He leaned in close, resting his palms on the table.“You want to share the joke?”

Three faces stared at him, baffled.“It was…just something that happened last night,”Melody offered.

“We weren’t laughing at you and Belle,”Annie told him, seeming to understand his reaction,“We wouldn’t.”

Aden knew she was probably telling the truth but he didn’t feel like apologising.He turned to Roman.“I think I will finish now.”

“Are you all right?”

Aden looked up at the voice to find that Ruby had followed him down to the beach.He gave a shrug of non-commitment which he hoped indicated that he didn’t want company.Unfortunately Ruby didn’t seem to get the message.Instead she sat down on the sand next to him.

“If you want to talk,”she began.

“I’m not going to take advice from you,”he said firmly.

“Just thought it might help.”

“What could you possibly say that might help?You know what it’s like when someone you love is suddenly a completely different person, do you?”

“No, Aden, I know nothing about that.How is my dad, by the way?”

Aden scowled at her, more to hide his embarrassment at the truth of the remark than anything else.“That’s not the same.”

“You’re right, Aden, it’s not.Because Belle’s still the same person.Okay, your relationship might be different but she’s not.My dad’s never going to be the same person.He’s never going to tell me to tidy my room or have a go at me for staying out late or critique my wardrobe.He’s never going to be the person I loved in spite of all that, he’s just this pale imitiation.”

“Yeah, well, there’s a few things Belle and I aren’t going to be doing anymore as well.”

“And is that all it ever was?”

Aden was getting increasingly frustrated with the conversation.Every time he thought he’d said something that would shut Ruby up she started up again.“What do you mean?”

“Well, if your relationship was just physical, then fine, that’s gone.But if it was also about loving and supporting each other, far as I can see you can still do that.”

“Ruby, I told you, I’m not going to take advice from you.”

She shrugged.“Fair enough.”

He waited a long time for what he hoped was going to happen next but it didn’t come.“Are you going to go now?”he asked at last.

“No, I don’t think so.”

Matilda was pacing the front room nervously, waiting for news.She heard movement on the stairs and turned round to see Belle coming down.She looked at her expectantly and Belle nodded.

Matilda sighed.“Oh boy…What are you going to do?”

“Well, I think I need to tell Mum and Irene.”

Irene dived for the ringing phone, pressing the receiver to her ear.“Hello?”

“Irene?”came a nervous voice.

Irene smiled.“Belle, love.How have you been doing?”

“Irene…I need you to come down here.”

“Belle, I can’t.Annie’s here, I can’t leave her on her own.”

“It’ll only take a couple of hours, you don’t need to stay overnight.She can have dinner at Jai and Melody’s or something.It’s just…there’s something I need to tell you, you and Mum, and I don’t want to do it over the phone.”

“Okay,”Irene said at last,“I’ll see you in a bit.”

Well, see if this was what you were expecting...

CHAPTER 15

Irene and Amanda had settled on the couch and were looking expectantly at Belle, standing in front of them.“So what’s the big news?”Irene asked.

“I’m pregnant,”Belle replied,“It’s not Aden’s.”

Irene paused for a moment to take this in.“I’m not sure if that’s good news or not.The part about it not being Aden’s, I mean.”

“Would it be indelicate to ask whose it is?”Amanda asked.

“A guy I met in Perth.A friend of Ric’s.It was just one stupid crazy drunken night.”Sighing, she went over and sat in between them, holding both their hands.

“You’re sure it’s him?”Irene asked.

Belle nodded.“Things had been so hectic, I hadn’t slept with Aden for over two weeks before we found out about…before we found out.I’ve had a period since then.It could only be Gaz.”

“Well, you know that whatever you decide to do, Irene and I are going to be with you every step of the way,”Amanda told her.

“I’m going to keep it.”

“Good.That’s good.”

“And you can’t tell anyone.I mean, you can tell Peter but…”-she looked at Irene-“no-one in the Bay can know, not even Annie.”

“All right,”Irene agreed,“If that’s the way you want it.”

“I just don’t want Aden to find out from anyone else.”

“Are you sure you don’t want me to walk you inside?”Aden asked.

Ruby nodded.“Charlie’s going to have enough questions about where I’ve been as it is.If I rock up with you in tow…”

“Yeah, I know, not a good image.”

Ruby immediately felt embarrassed.“Sorry, I didn’t mean…”

“It’s okay.To tell the truth, I was glad of the company.See you later.”

Ruby watched him leave then quietly pushed open the back door.She stepped into the kitchen to find Charlie standing there, arms folded.“Where have you been?”she asked.

“I was down on the beach.”

“On your own?Until this time?”

“I wasn’t on my own.I was…”Ruby stopped for a moment, unsure of the truth of her next statement.“I was with a friend.”

Belle was sitting alone in the dark, nursing a mug of hot cocoa.“Penny for them?”came a voice from behind her.

Belle turned to find Amanda standing there.“Sorry, I thought everyone had gone to bed.”

“I had.But I had a feeling my little girl might need to talk to me.I’ve a feeling we should have done it a long time ago.”

“Not such a little girl anymore.”Belle waited while Amanda sat down beside her.“Are you disappointed?”

“In you?That’s one thing I’ve never been.You were miserable with your life so you went out, got drunk, slept with someone you hardly knew and ended up pregnant.I think I can relate.”

Belle smiled slightly.“Guess I didn’t realise how alike we are.”

“Guess I didn’t either.So how are you feeling?”

“Scared.Embarrassed.A bit cheap.But also kind of excited.I mean, this baby might not have come along in the ideal way but it’s like for the first time in weeks, I can see what my future’s going to be like.I’m going to be a mum.”

“You are going to be a brilliant mum.”

“Thanks.And you’ll be a brilliant grandma.”

Amanda looked worried for a moment.“Not sure how I’m going to take that.”

“Mum…how did you feel?When you found out you were expecting me?”

“Much the same as you.Scared.Embarrassed.But when I thought about it, that there was this life growing inside of me, I so wanted to meet you.”She stroked her hair gently.“I wish I’d known you were out there all that time.I wish I’d been able to see you grow up.I wish I’d given your father a chance to see you grow up. I’m so sorry.”

Belle looked at her surprised.“You mean…you wanted me?”

Amanda cupped her daughter’s face in her hand, looking her in the eye.“Belle, there has never been a single moment when I didn’t want you.”

Aden was quietly pleased to see Ruby sitting at the counter when he came out of the kitchen.It had been a few days since their conversation on the beach and he’d found himself spending more and more time with her.To his surprise, he actually enjoyed their talks.“Any more pearls of wisdom for me today?”he asked.

“Hey, my advice hasn’t changed.Say it so I know it’s sunk in.”

Aden sighed.“Marriage and babies might be off the agenda but I can still have Belle in my life.”

“Exactly right.”

“If she was here.”

Ruby looked at him sympathetically.“You still haven’t heard anything?”

“No.Irene went to see her a few days ago but she’s been pretty tight-lipped about what happened.Just said that she’s all right and she’ll get in touch when she’s ready.”

“Maybe it is as simple as that.”

“Yeah, maybe.”

Noticing he was being reluctant, Ruby gave him her most winning smile.“So what else is bugging you? Come on, tell Auntie Ruby.”

“It’s just…I never really had a proper relationship until Belle came along.Had a few girlfriends when I was younger but they ended up expecting more than I could give them.And now that me and Belle as a couple has turned into a disaster, I’m worried I won’t be able to get back onto the saddle so to speak.”

Ruby touched his hand.“Aden, believe it or not, most of the girls in this town consider you pretty hot.I don’t think you’ll have any problems finding someone.”

Aden looked down at where her hand still lay for a moment then back up at her.Suddenly, it felt as though he was seeing her for the first time.It sounded crazy but…

“Ruby…what are you doing tonight?”

“Ruby?”Annie called out cautiously as she came in through the back door.She followed the sound of movement into the living area and found Ruby dumping armloads of clothes everywhere.“I, um, got your message,”she ventured at last.

“I’ve got a date,”Ruby told her,“Tonight.With Aden Jefferies.”

“Aden?”Annie didn’t hide her surprise.“What about Belle?”

Ruby turned for a moment and looked at her.“Annie, I don’t think they’re going to be getting back together.”

“I guess not…But isn’t it a bit sudden?”

“We’ve been spending a bit of time together lately, I don’t know, maybe it is.All I know is that a cute older guy wants to take me out and I have no idea what I’m going to wear.”

“Where’s he taking you?”

“That restaurant in Yabbee Creek?”

“Wow.That’s pretty expensive.”

“It is?Oh god.”Ruby seemed to cringe at the thought.“What if I make a mess of things?What if the whole night’s an embarrassment?And what if I can’t find anything to wear?Come on, Annie, help me out, this is why I called you here.”

“Me?Why?”

“Nicole’s out of town, Belle’s out of town, Charlie’s best outfit is her uniform…That left you and Melody.I found your number first.”

“Okay…”Annie thought for a moment.“What about that blue dress that your dad and Morag bought you for Christmas?”

Ruby stopped her rummaging, went over to Annie, placed her hands on her shoulders and gave her a look of apparent intensity.“Annie.If you weren’t my best friend and I didn’t already have plans for tonight, I swear I would kiss you.”And she disappeared back into her room.

“Thanks!”Annie called after her.“I think…”

Thanks for your comments.

CHAPTER 16

Aden was checking his reflection in the mirror.He’d chosen what he thought was his best shirt but he was having second thoughts about it.He couldn’t quite believe the way he was feeling.He hadn’t been nervous like this since his meeting with Amanda…and that hadn’t quite had the result he was expecting.

Roman stuck his head round the door.“You getting on okay in here?”

Aden buried his nerves.He didn’t want Roman seeing him acting like some crazy thirteen-year-old.“Yeah, I’m fine.”

Roman came into the room and sat down on the bed.“Are you sure you know what you’re doing?”

“I have been on dates before, Roman.Okay, it’s been a while since I’ve been with anyone since Belle and even then we were sneaking around to start with so by the time I actually took her anywhere we’d got all that first meeting stuff out of the way but I’m not completely clueless when it comes to going out with a girl.”

There was a slightly amused look in Roman’s eyes.“Actually, what I meant was are you sure about going out with Ruby.”

Aden looked embarrassed.“Oh.Right.”

“But it’s good that you’re thinking about the practicalities.”

Aden sighed.“Look, Roman, I don’t need a lecture.”

“Okay, I’ll try not to give you one.But look, Ruby’s a nice girl.I like her.I just want to make sure that both of you know what this is.”

“And what do you think this is?”

“Doesn’t matter what I think this is, mate.All that matters is what you and Ruby think it is.If you’re just two friends going out, something to take your mind off all that’s been happening lately, then that’s fine, so long as neither of you think it’s any more than that.”

“Roman…I don’t know what this is, okay?I mean, I like her as a friend and I guess she’s not that bad looking…”

“She’s a lot younger than you.”

“Three years, four at the most.Not that much.”

“At your age, yeah, it is.”Roman got up and clapped Aden on the shoulder.“Look, both of you go out tonight and have a good time.But make sure you both want the same thing out of it.You understand me?”

Belle and Geoff were the only ones still downstairs, everyone else having retired for the night.They sat in silence, watching some old movie on the telly, until Geoff heard the bathroom door open upstairs.“And that’s Nicole done,”he announced.He checked his watch.“Twenty-eight minutes, that’s pretty good for her. You want to go up next?”

Belle shook her head.“You go.I’m kind of curious as to how this ends.”

“Okay.See you in the morning.”

He was halfway up the stairs before Belle called out to him.“Geoff!”She turned round.“What are you doing tomorrow morning?”

“Belle, you know what I do Sunday mornings.I’m going to the same church I went to last week, the one a couple of streets away.”

“Can I come with you?”

Geoff didn’t try to hide his surprise.“You’ve never asked to come to church with me before.”

“I know but…There’s something I need…Look, can I tell you in the morning?It’s just…Can I come?”

“Yeah, sure, Belle.Um, service is at half past nine so…”

Belle nodded.“I’ll be ready on time.”

Aden and Ruby had found themselves walking home along the beach.“Sorry about this,”Aden told her,“I didn’t expect to be back so late.”

“Don’t worry about it.Although Charles is probably climbing the walls by now, wondering where I am. She probably thinks I’ve eloped or something.”

“Sorry I’ve got you into trouble.”

“Oh, no sweat.I’ve waited up for her enough times.”

Aden stopped suddenly.Since she was holding his hand, Ruby had no choice but to stop as well.He turned and looked at her.“Look, do we need to talk?”

“Yes.But do we need to talk now?”She sighed.“Aden, we’ve had a great night and…”

“Yeah, we have.And I like you and I like spending time with you and you look great tonight…”

“Just tonight?”she asked playfully.

Aden sighed.“But I can’t make you any promises.Everything’s still confused at the moment, I don’t know what’s going to happen with Belle, how we’re going to sort things out or whatever and I don’t want to drag you into this mess and stuff things up for you as well.”

“You know, Aden, sometimes you just have to live for the moment.So what exactly do you want to do at this moment?”

Aden looked at her for a second.Then slowly, gently, he leaned forward and kissed her.

She broke out into a smile.“Good start.”She put her arms around his neck.“Now what do you want to do in this moment?”

He stood there, kissing her, on the beach, in the moonlight.With his worries forgotten, at least for a moment.

I think I'm the only person gutted it's not Aden's - I was interested to see how you'd handle that!

Sorry!Guess you can't please everyone.Thanks for your comments, people.

CHAPTER 17

Geoff was surprised when he came downstairs to find Belle, Nicole and Matilda waiting for him, all dressed in their Sunday best.“What’s going on?”he asked.

“I told you,”Belle reminded him,“I’m going to church with you.”

“Oh, you were serious about that?”Geoff looked at the others.“And..?”

“Well, if she’s going with you, I better had too,”Nicole told him,“Do my girlfriendly duty.”

“And I’m just keeping Belle company,”Matilda added.

Geoff looked at each of them in turn, trying to tell if they were serious or not.Eventually he relented. “Okay.Come on then.”

“Aden in?”Ruby asked as soon as Roman answered the door.

“Yeah, he’s just over there,”Roman confirmed, gesturing towards the living area.He looked past her uncertainly.“Um, I was just going out…”

“It’s okay, I can find my own way.”

“Okay, well, um, behave yourselves or something.”

Ruby slipped past Roman, who watched her and Aden for a second before leaving.She saw Aden slipping something underneath a cushion, as though hiding it:a piece of paper.She came up behind where he was sitting and put her arms around him.“You got any plans for today?”

He turned his head and smiled at her but he seemed distracted.“Nothing definite.”

“You want to hang then?”she asked, moving round to sit next to him.

“What did you have in mind?”

“Well, we could do this.”She leaned in and gently kissed him.She waited until she felt him respond then pulled back and gestured to the cushion.“Or you could tell me what you’ve hidden under there.”

Aden turned away from her.“Or you could just go.”

“Aden!”Ruby exclaimed in protest.

“I am not getting into this with you.”

“Is it about Belle?”

“No, it’s…it’s my dad, okay?”Aden took the sheet of paper out of its hiding place and thrust it at her. “I got it a couple of days ago.”

Ruby scanned the contents of the letter.“He wants you to visit him.”

“So we can talk things over,”Aden confirmed in disgust.

Ruby read a bit further.“He wants you to go today.”She looked up at him.“And you say you’ve got no plans?”

Aden sighed.“Why can’t he just leave me alone?Hasn’t he wrecked things for me enough?”

“Maybe he wants to apologise.”

“Yeah, well, maybe I don’t want to hear his apologies.”

“Don’t you think it might help?”

“My dad admitting he stuffed up again?Been there a few times already.”

“Well…maybe you need to hear it again.”

Aden glanced sideways, noticed the way she was looking at him and sighed.“Why is it every time a pretty girl tells me to go and see my dad I end up doing it?”He saw her smile at that.“What is it?”

“No, it’s just…I don’t think you’ve called me a pretty girl before.”

Aden shook his head in bewilderment.“I don’t think I’ve called anyone that before.”

Nicole and Matilda had stayed for an after service cup of coffee but then Belle had quietly asked them to head off, leaving her and Geoff behind.The other members of the congregation had left, one by one, until it was just the two of them and the minister left.Geoff approached the man nervously.“Er, Reverend?”

The minister squinted at him.“Ah, Geoff, isn’t it?We spoke last week.”

“That’s right, Reverend.Um, my friend and I were wondering if we could have a moment alone?”

“You could wait outside and lock up when we’re done?”Belle suggested.

The minister smiled at her.“God’s doors are always open, no need to worry about that.We just keep all the items of value in the safe when they’re not in use.So, stay as long as you want.”He quietly took his leave.

“So, what’s this all about?”Geoff asked.

Belle took a deep breath.“I…I want you to pray for me.”

Geoff blinked in surprise.“You’ve never asked me to do that before.”

“I know but…Geoff, I think…I need someone to forgive me.Me and Aden.And I don’t know who else I can ask.”

Geoff looked at her for a moment then nodded.He gestured to a pew.“Do you want to sit down?”

“Aren’t we supposed to kneel or something?”

“Well, you can do but I don’t think God will mind if we just sit.”He took his seat next to her and clasped his hands together, bowing his head.Belle copied the gesture.“Lord God.You know us.You know our hearts, our deepest secrets.Let no blame be placed on Belle and Aden for any acts committed through ignorance.Let your love surround them and your wisdom strength them and help them through this difficult time.”He paused for a moment before adding.“And bless Belle and her child, help her to become the good mother that all her friends know she can be.Amen.”

“Amen,”Belle echoed.She straightened up and smiled.“Thanks, Geoff.”She placed a hand over her stomach, almost instinctively.“How did you know?”

“Nicole worked it out.I asked her how and she just said ‘Girls know these things.’”

“It’s not Aden’s.I don’t know if that’s better or worse.”Belle sensed the unspoken question.“It was a guy I met in Perth.I didn’t love him, I didn’t even really know him.It was just a stupid drunken mistake.I’m not expecting you to approve.”

“Belle, I’m not going to pretend I’m happy with what you did or that I don’t wish you’d behaved differently.But if you need any help, I’m here.A lot of people are.”

Belle hugged him and felt his arms encircle her in a gesture of friendship.“Thanks, Geoff.”She released him and looked at him, resolute.“I’m ready to go home now.”

Thanks for your comments.Bit of a long one here.I ended up moving stuff from the previous chapter and then the scenes just started reproducing.

CHAPTER 18

“You sure you don’t want to come with us?”Belle asked, as she, Geoff and Nicole stood in the doorway with their bags packed.

“Lectures start again in a few days,”Matilda reminded her,“I’ll need to catch the plane back to Perth this evening.”

“Okay.”Belle hugged her friend.“Thanks for coming here with me.I don’t know what I’d have done these past few weeks without you.”

“Hey, any time.”

Amanda stepped forward.“I’m glad you came, Belle.”

Belle nodded.“Me too, Mum.And I’m sorry about…”

“I’m sorry too,”Amanda interrupted, giving her daughter a hug,“And you make sure you call me when that baby’s coming, all right?”

“You’re having a baby?”blurted out Ryan.

Belle saw the apologetic look on Amanda’s face and couldn’t bring herself to be angry with her.She turned her attention to her younger brother.“Yes, Ryan, I am.But keep it to yourself for a bit, okay?”

“But how..?”

“Questions later, mate,”Peter told him firmly,“Just say goodbye to your sister.”

“Bye, Belle,”Ryan responded obediently, giving her a hug.

Belle hugged Peter as well while Geoff gave Matilda a quick hug before putting his arm around Nicole, who’d begun to look daggers at him.Then Belle turned to the two that were going back to the Bay with her.

“Okay, time to face the music.”

Aden was sitting in the visitors’ room, acutely aware that the last time he’d been there his whole world had fallen apart.He saw Larry detach himself from the crowd of prisoners being shown in and take the seat opposite him.“Aden?How are you, son?”

“Is that all you brought me here to say?”Aden asked dismissively.

“Isn’t that enough?I worry about you, Aden…son.The way you were the last time I saw you…I just needed to know you’re all right.I just needed to know you’re both all right.”

“So this is all about you, huh?”

“Aden, I will say sorry to you as many times as you need to hear it.Because right now it’s the only thing I can do.There’s nothing I can do to get back all those lost years.I can only hope that my children can handle things better than I did.”

Aden leaned forward slightly.“I hate that you cheated on Mum.On all of us.It’s just one more way you let us down.But if you hadn’t…Belle would never have existed.And I am never going to wish that.”

Larry nodded his understanding.“Guess that’s something.Crazy thing is I always liked Belle.I was pleased you had her in your life.And all the time she was my daughter.I suppose that makes four children that don’t want to know me.”

Aden didn’t mean the words to come.But he found himself saying them anyway.“I’m here, aren’t I?”

After all the hugs they’d had when they left Amanda’s, Belle and Geoff found themselves submitting to more when they found their homecoming greeted enthusiastically by Irene and Annie.“Oh, it’s so good to have you back, loves,”Irene told them, looking as though she didn’t want to let go of Belle,“I was worried you were gonna stay away for good.”

“Come on, Irene, you know I’d never do that,”Belle chided her as she managed to struggle free from her grip.

“Well, I do now.”

“Where’s Nicole?”Annie asked.

“She asked us to drop her off at her dad’s,”Geoff explained,“She wanted to get settled back in quickly. Going to feel a bit strange not having her here tonight.”He noticed the looks Irene and Annie suddenly gave him.“In the same house, I mean.”

“Come on, Geoff,”Belle teased him,“You’ve got plenty of witnesses.”

Geoff looked embarrassed.“Nicole and I were…kind of sharing.But it’s not what you think!”

“Love, I have given up thinking anything,”Irene told him.

“Have you seen Aden?”Belle asked.

“Yeah, he’s been about,”Irene confirmed,“And as far as I can tell, he still doesn’t know.”

“I swore Nicole to secrecy,”Geoff put in.

“God save us, you two know as well?Belle, love, hadn’t you better get yourself round there pronto before someone puts their foot in it?”

“Tomorrow,”Belle decided,“I’ve got someone else I need to tell first.”She turned to see the confused expression on her surrogate little sister’s face.“Annie, you’d better sit down.”

“So you went to see him?”Ruby asked as she followed Aden into the kitchen.

“Yes, Rube, I went to see him,”Aden sighed.

“And?What did he say?”

“Pretty much what I was expecting.But…I think I needed to hear it.And I think I needed to say a few things as well.”

“Worth going then?”

“Yes, Ruby, it was worth going.You’ve proved your worth as a nagging girlfriend.”He noticed her smile. “What?”

“Girlfriend?So that’s official then?”

He put his arms round her and she followed suit.“I guess it is.”

They heard a coughing sound from the doorway and saw that Nicole had come downstairs during their conversation.“Okay.”She looked at Aden severely.“We’ve obviously got a lot of catching up to do.”

Belle’s plan for the morning had been simple.She wasn’t quite feeling brave enough to go round to Aden’s house so instead she decided to hang around on the beach.Given how small Summer Bay was and how much of a focal point the beach was, she knew it was only a matter of time before Aden came past.

Her plan worked up to a point.What she hadn’t been expecting was for him to be holding hands with Ruby when he appeared.That was one particular detail that she wished Irene hadn’t kept to herself.The two of them saw her and exchanged words that she couldn’t hear.Then Aden detached himself and went over to her alone.

“Nicole told me you were back,”he commented.

“What else did she say?”Belle asked, suddenly worried.

“Just that you seemed a bit happier now.Why, what should she have said?”

Belle sidestepped the question.This wasn’t the place.“Can you come back to the house?I need to talk to you.”

Aden glanced back at Ruby.“I’ve kind of got company.Can I meet you in about twenty minutes?”

Belle nodded reluctantly.“Okay.Twenty minutes it is.”

“So what’s all this about?”Aden asked once he reached the house.

Belle sat down on the sofa, indicating for him to sit next to her.“While I was away, I did a lot of thinking. And I realise that…I love you, Aden.Still.And that’s all right.Because you’re my brother and I’m supposed to love you.We just need to learn to love each other in the right way.Do you think we can?”

“We can try, I guess.”

“And…there’s something I need to tell you.”Belle took a deep breath.“While I was in Perth, Ric and Mattie took me out for a drink with some of Ric’s workmates.One of them didn’t have a girlfriend so we hung out a bit, had a few drinks together.And then we went back to his place.I slept with him, Aden.And now I’m pregnant.”

Aden looked at her in silence for a long time.“There’s no chance that..?”

“No, the dates are all wrong.”

“At least the kid won’t be born with webbed feet then.”Aden smiled slightly.“I’m happy for you, Belle. You’ll be a good mum.If you’re happy?”

Belle laughed, despite everything.“Yeah, I think I am.”She took his hand and placed it on her stomach. “Don’t forget, Aden, this is your niece or nephew in here.We’re both part of this.”

Aden withdrew his hand, seeming uncomfortable at the touch, and got to his feet.“I’d better go.”

“Aden!”Belle called after him,“Ruby.”He looked at her quizzically.“I like her.”

Aden shrugged.“It’s not that serious.”

“Sometimes something can start off not that serious and turn out to be really important.Don’t miss out on anything.”

“So, what?She has my sister’s seal of approval?”There was a playful air to the comment.

Belle smiled at him.“Yes, Aden.She has your sister’s seal of approval.”

No idea where this chapter came from, only one scene of it was in the outline and that wasn't till later on...Hope you like it.

CHAPTER 19

Irene could hear Belle on the phone when she came in.“If he wants to talk to me then give him this…No, actually, give him my mobile number.Okay.Thanks.Say hi to Mattie for me.Bye.”She replaced the receiver and saw Irene watching her.“Ric,”she explained, in answer to the unspoken question,“I’ve asked him to tell Gaz about the baby.”

Irene sighed.“Oh, love, are you sure that’s a good idea?”

“What’s the alternative?I don’t tell him he’s a father and then in twenty years time, this one brings home someone who turns out to be their brother or sister?”

Irene smiled slightly.“Good point.”

“I might be no good at learning from my own mistakes but at least I learn from other people’s.”

“So, what if this Gaz bloke wants a say in what happens with this baby?What then?”

Belle shrugged.“Guess I’ll just have to deal with that if it happens.”

“She’s pregnant?”Ruby repeated.

Aden nodded.“Some guy she met in Perth.”

“And how does that make you feel?”

“Who says it makes me feel anything?”Aden tried to ignore the silent look she was giving him but in the end he surrendered.“I guess…I dunno I can’t help thinking…if Belle had been pregnant a few weeks ago, I’d have been the dad.And now, what?I’m the uncle?”

“Lot to get your head around.”

“Look, don’t worry, I’m not going to crack up or anything.It’s just one more thing to keep me awake at night.”

“Does part of you wish you were the father?”

Aden shook his head.“I can’t think that.Belle and this baby, they’re my family.I just have to remember how they’re my family.”He glanced across at her.“Your name came up.”

“Yeah?What did you say?”

“She told me she liked you.You had her seal of approval.”

“And you told her you liked me to, right?”

Aden thought for a moment.“Actually, no, I didn’t.”He paused before adding,“I do, though.”

“Any idea how Aden’s taking the news?”Geoff asked as he came back into the lounge with two mugs of hot chocolate.

“He’s being a bit quiet about it,”Nicole replied as she accepted the mug,“At least he is with me.Ruby, on the other hand, he’s sharing everything with.Guess I’ve been officially replaced as his go to girl.”

Geoff gave her a reassuring smile as he sat down next to her.“I’m sure he knows you’re there if he needs you.”

“I’m sure he knows I’m there even if he doesn’t need me.”

“Well, it’s officially no longer a secret anyway.Belle said to tell whoever we like.She’s got Ric to talk to the father.”

Nicole gave a sympathetic sigh.“God, being pregnant that young would be bad enough.Imagine barely knowing the guy that did it.”She grinned at him.“Guess we don’t have to worry about that at least, hey?”

“No.”Geoff looked slightly uncomfortable, as though he wasn’t sure whether to say anything else.

“Come on.Spill.”

“It’s just…I missed you last night.Just you being there.”

“Yeah, it felt a bit weird to me as well.”Nicole quickly finished her drink and glanced at her watch.“What time do you normally go to bed?”

“I dunno, in an hour or two.”

“You fancy going to bed early tonight?”She smiled slightly at his look of shock.“What, you’re not allowed sleepovers?If it makes you feel better, I’ll ring Dad and let him know I’m not coming home and you can leave Irene a ‘Do not disturb’ note.”

Still looking slightly uncertain, Geoff scribbled a note on the telephone pad and propped it up on the table. Nicole smiled and took out her phone as she led the way to his room.

Jai and Annie came in through the back door unnoticed and stood, watching the pair’s exit.“What’s that about?”Annie asked.

Jai shrugged.“Maybe you’re gonna be an aunt twice over.”

Nicole had stripped down to her top and pants, keeping her back turned while Geoff got changed.She clambered into the bed next to him and shot him a sideways glance.“Okay, you know the first thing I’m going to do with that shirt.”She watched as Geoff took it off and dumped it beside the bed.“Mmm, I think it’s more fun when I do it.”

Geoff wrapped his arm round her back and she leaned in towards him.“So what now?”he asked,“It’s a bit early for sleep.”

“Okay, if you can’t think of anything else to do, I’m definitely worried about you.”

Geoff leaned over so he was almost lying on top of her and started to kiss her, slowly and gently, always slowly and gently, no chance of anything else happening, his hands holding her through her clothes as she stroked his bare back.

The kiss broke for a moment and she smiled at him.“I’m starting to get a handle on these rules of yours.”

CHAPTER 20

Aden was lying on the sofa, Ruby alongside him.He leaned over and kissed her, feeling the softness of her lips.He released her and saw her smiling up at him.“Why the worried look?”she asked him.

“Just wondering if you’re all right with this.”

“Do I look as if I’m not all right?”

“No.You look happy.”

“Well, I look exactly how I feel.”

He sighed.“It’s just…this, whatever it is between us…”

“You can call it a relationship if you like.It won’t jinx it.”

“This relationship.It’s lasted a couple of months and I haven’t had a lot of girlfriends who’ve stuck around that long.It’s just…well, there’s a bit of an age gap for a start.”

“I’m sixteen, you’re nineteen…”

“Twenty next month.”

“Okay, twenty.That’s still only four years.If I was twenty and you were twenty-four…”

“What, you think it’ll last that long?”

Ruby looked at him in surprise.“Why, don’t you?”

“I’ve kinda learnt not to predict what happens next in a relationship.”

She mulled this over.“Yeah, I can see why that would be.Would it help if I promised I knew who both my parents were?”

He grinned slightly.“Well, yeah, I guess that would help.Thing is, I’m not sure if I can promise you anything.I don’t know if you’ve noticed but I don’t really know what I’m doing at the moment.I can’t promise we’ll still be together in another two months.”

“Can you promise we’ll still be together tomorrow?”

“Well, I guess there’s a good chance.”

“Then maybe we’ll start with that and who knows?Maybe one tomorrow you will be an old man of twenty-four.”She checked her watch.“But not if my sister murders me for getting home late again.”She pulled herself up and went to retrieve her coat from the bottom of the stairs.“You going to do the gentlemanly thing and walk me home?”

Aden had pulled himself up into a sitting position.“Yeah.Or I could do the ungentlemanly thing and ask you to stay.”He looked at her, swallowing hard.“You know, see that tomorrow you were talking about together?”

Ruby met his gaze.“Aden.Come over here.”He did as he was told.She kissed him and smiled at him. “Guess I’m going to be really late home.”She kissed him again as she followed him upstairs.

“What’s that you’re looking at?”Annie asked.

“Photo album,”Belle replied as the girl sat down on the sofa beside her,“Aden brought it over earlier.It was in his dad’s things.In our dad’s things, I mean.”

“Oh, okay.Why?”

“I don’t know.Guess I just wanted to see where I come from.”

“Anything nice?”

“Not really.”Belle pointed to some of the photos.“My dad, in jail.My brother, in jail.My other brother, vanished off the face of the earth.My grandfather, burning in hell, probably.”

She looked at Annie as though expecting her to contradict her but she just gave a shrug and pointed to another photo.“Who’s that?”

“My grandmother.Aden never knew her, she died when…when our dad was in his teens.”

“She looks nice.”

“Yeah, she does.”

“She looks a bit like you.”

Belle smiled slightly.“Always did wonder where I got my looks from.I hope she was nice.It can’t just have been me and Aden that turned out all right.”She closed the album and held it to her chest.“At least I’ll be able to give the baby a few answers when he or she asks about my dad.”

“But your baby’s not going to have a dad either,”Annie reminded her.

Belle sighed.“Gaz’s life is in Perth, you can’t expect him to give it all up just because I’m pregnant.You wouldn’t want me to drop everything and move up there, would you?He said to get in touch if anything happens.At least that’s something.”

Annie seemed to accept that.“Have you seen Geoff?”

Belle nodded towards Geoff’s room.“He and Nicole turned in early.”Nicole had become a frequent overnight visitor over the last few weeks.Irene had given her and Geoff some suspicious looks before adopting a “see no evil, hear no evil” policy.Belle looked at Annie mischievously.“You want to know what they’re doing in there?”

Annie gave her a look of horror.“No!”

Geoff was lying on top of Nicole in the bed, kissing her.It was a situation they’d both got used to by now, something nice and safe, intimate but not too intimate.She felt his hands touching her through her clothes. Then she felt them moving under her clothes.That was new.Then…

“Geoff, what are you doing?”she cried, pushing him away.

Geoff lay next to her, seeming shocked, although she wasn’t sure whether it was at her or at himself.“I…I thought you wanted…”

“Yeah, what about you wanted?Or have you changed the rules without telling me?”

“I wanted it, I wouldn’t have done it otherwise…”

“And would you still have wanted it in the morning?Or would you have hated yourself for doing it?And hated me for letting you?”

Geoff looked away, seeming ashamed.“Nic, I’m sorry.It just felt right for a moment there.”

“Felt right?Never heard that one before.You might know your Ten Commandments and your sermon on the mouth…”

“Sermon on the mount,”Geoff corrected automatically.

“Whatever.But when it comes down to it, you’re still just ruled by your hormones.”Nicole turned away, lying with her back to him.

“Nic…”

“Just go to sleep, Geoff,”she snapped back,“And be glad it’s too late for me to walk home.”

Archived