ITV expected to shut down Yorkshire studios

Guest -Kevin-

Filming on key ITV soaps including Coronation Street and Emmerdale is to be halted tomorrow while staff participate in a conference call about the network's future.

The broadcaster, which announces its financial results for the full year tomorrow, is expected to announce new job cuts of at least 500, leaving only 4,000 staff on payroll. Many of the cuts are expected to come from its production centres in Leeds and Manchester as the network is no longer able to maintain two major production facilities in the north.

ITV Productions' Leeds base was established in the late 1960s by Channel 3 franchisee Yorkshire Television. It is the home of Countdown, which ITV produces for Channel 4, along with Emmerdale, Heartbeat and The Royal. It is now understood that ITV plans to shut down all production facilities at the centre, leaving only the regional news and transmission playout staff in place. Under the plans, Emmerdale would become self-contained at its current filming location, but with far fewer staff, and Countdown could move to a different studio facility elsewhere in the UK. Production on Heartbeat and The Royal has already been suspended until at least 2010.

ITV is currently trying to secure the future of its pension fund and debt position while dealing with a massive downturn in advertising revenues.

What will we do if Corrie and Emmerdale go on hiatus ??

I will be very upset.

The Bill's hardly been on lately. Mainly because of the football or award shows.

So, to be honest with you....I really don't see why, the can't re-schedule the time for it. And I did see somewhere, that it's being move to 9pm. But I'm not quite sure, what date it's going to be on though.

Yorkshire Television have only scaled down so that they can ride out the recession they have not stopped Heartbeat compleatly its on holdbut the programme the wire is not being made again, 400 staff at the Yorshire Studios will be laid off untill such time that they can come back to full strength.

ITV News Yesterday Lunch time.

Yorkshire Television have only scaled down so that they can ride out the recession they have not stopped Heartbeat compleatly its on holdbut the programme the wire is not being made again, 400 staff at the Yorshire Studios will be laid off untill such time that they can come back to full strength.

ITV News Yesterday Lunch time.

They ought to make their mind up whether they're cutting it or not.

Anyway the recession isnt over , not by a long haul. Its been said to go on for another couple of years.

I hate this recession :angry:

Archived