Wikipedia...

Guest Symphony

I think most of us - but not all - are aware that Wikipedia articles cannot be taken as proof, or concrete confirmation of a spoiler / source of information.

Yet, Wikipedia quotations seem to pop up hourly, not even just daily, on the boards, mostly on the Spoilers Section, and I don't know about others, but for me, no matter what section it's in, it just gets irritating -

Especially because people become so attached to their Wiki quotes, and for me, can spoil any discussion with "but wiki said it so it has to be true" responses.

Just wondering what others' thoughts are on this, and, if irritates others and not just me, if we could perhaps not allow people to post from Wiki as a source of information unless it's in the foilers section or something?

Totally agree. Can the word Wiki/Wikipedia just be banned. It's getting to be a daily thing where someone posts hundreds of rumours they have heard from the site. And normally false rumours. No matter how much people get told that it is not a reliable site, people still constantly use that site as the truth. It's very annoying to be honest.

A lot of the Wikipedia posts come from new members who are (some of the time) unaware that Wikipedia can't be trusted. Sometimes if they know it's usually wrong they go ahead and post it anyways. Which I don't really see the point in doing so after stating it's probably not true...

I don't really see what the moderators could do. Wikipedia is stated to be an invalid source to the list of rules in the Spoiler Section. But, it's not stopping people from informing us of the latest Home and Away rumor on that site. So what can be done? Nothing that I can think of. Unless new topics can only be made by a Mod or something.. but it'll still get posted in Quick Questions.

^ :o i didn't know that - whereabouts did you suggest it, I just had a quick look but didn't see it.

Sorry xD I actually got the idea from another forum that I was on [non H&A based] which had banned any mention of Wikipedia, and it seemingly cleared up most of their foiler problems :D

Traceve: perhaps it could be made a firmer rule? I've been in the Spoiler Section a good many times before, and never knew that it's in the rules that Wiki isn't allowed to be brought up :o Or, perhaps a clamp down on people who make postings of quotes from Wiki could be brought into play..? :)

As I mentioned in the other thread, the staff are currently discussing this issue and looking at ways to resolve the problems regarding Wikipedia spoilers. We understand that people are irritated by these 'foilers' so please bear with us while we look at all the points and ideas people have raised. :)

I know some people have mentioned the only way to resolve it is if the staff approve every post/topic but I personally don't think that would be a good thing for members or staff. The spoiler section is probably one of the most frequently used sections of the forum and having to approve everything would be a nightmare for everyone concerned.

How about all new topics in the spoiler section having to be approved by a moderator, and a pop up message (or something similar) saying Do Not Attempt to Post information from Wikipedia.Sorry Mods I know that it would mean extra work for you all but ideally it's the only option.

Archived