The Dark Side

Guest WYN100

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

**PART NINE

Dr Roz Tyler had eventually left the ward convinced enough to continue with her rounds- being new to the Bay she was sufficiently drawn in by Aiden's most charming smile and ready patter about how he was Shayne's second cousin there to commiserate about the beating up. For his part, Shayne decided keeping a low profile was probably the best course of action - partly for his own reasons, partly because he rightly estimated that Aiden was the kind of adversary that wouldn't be deterred by one setback and that he'd be more than likely to return -with even more resentment in his soul if thwarted on this occasion. Nonetheless he was still taken aback by the way Aiden's approach turned from virtue to venom once Roz had been placated and disappeared.

"Right, you mongrel" hissed Aiden "What's all this about you and my louse of a father, huh ...?" And - seeing the inevitable denial forming on Shayne's lips, snapped "..and don't give me any of that baloney about how you don't know what I'm talking about because that REALLY brings out my worst side, you get what I mean ?"

Shayne pulled himself up painfully in the bed and said "look, I never wanted to have anything to do with the guy, you know...?" Aiden laughed with heavy irony - he knew that feeling well - "you see I'd been hanging out with the wrong sort of crowd, but I was DETERMINED to sort my life out, that's why I got the job at Roman's - but then one day your freakin' father turns up - now he knows some bad stuff about me from before, you know,....and he says unless I....so some stuff for him...then he'd start sending little messages to the law - AND to Roman, so what could I do ?"

Aiden was shaking his head in a fashion he knew all too well - "Same old sewer rat, eh ? What a pleasant little toad he really is !"

"Then, " went on Shayne, " I meet him last night and he arranges for me to meet some character with the stuff -the guy decides either the money or the goods are wrong, so he uses me as a punchbag - thank YOU, Larry !"

Aiden listened, digesting what he'd heard, then loomed further back over the invalid and demanded in hard, low tones "Now what I REALLY need to know is, where can I FIND that dreg ?" Again, a claim of ignorance seemed to be forming on Shayne's lips, but even though Aiden flashed him another warning glare, he pressed on "..I really DON'T KNOW where he's living - BUT ..."

"Yes, yes...." from Aiden

"Oh look mate, look at the state I'm in now - I tell you this - and I'm not 200% per cent sure about it - what's going to happen to me THEN ? "

Aiden paused briefly before responding " OK, how about I cut you a deal - you tell me what you know and I don't tell Roman any of your dodgy stuff - you don't and perhaps Roman's is the very next place I go, and it's bye-bye job, new start, and the rest....."

"OK, ok !! - Shayne weakly raised his bandaged arm in placatory fashion.."Look, I TRULY don't know where he's staying - BUT - I BELIEVE I heard him saying the next place he was going to hit - and when - to get his next stash of cash....-and yes, I certainly think you of all people would be interested....."

Aiden leant even further forward, already greatly interested....... "tell me more....!"

The Bay air was fresh and balmy , carrying with it the promise of another spectacular day weather-wise. Tony had the drivers' side window of his car right down, allowing the breeze to play across his face as he drove along the high connecting road between the Bay and Yabbie Creek. Despite the mystery of the text messages and Jack's curious behaviour earlier on, certain functional things still needed attending to. And so it was that having left Rachel behind for a welcome and necessary lie down after the night they'd both had, he was headed to the travel agent to try and at least re-arrange the Bali holiday surprise, as despite Megan's very welcome pull-back from the health precipice on which they'd all been standing, it was obvious they couldn't be undertaking a holiday just yet, for a number of reasons..The Bruce Springsteen CD about which Rachel teased him so often swirled around, but the litany of problem-ridden thoughts currently circulating his mind wouldn't spontaneously permit him to sing along, though he was enjoying the slight sense of freedom that this short but necessary trip permitted him right up to the point where he turned the car into a convenient space just three or four down from the travel agents. He wandered up the pavement, somehow feeling a streak of envy for the "normal" individuals and couples hurrying or stopping to chat with each other, none of them beset by the unsettling and certainly macabre campaign that someone, somewhere had chosen to wage against himself and Rachel.

Before he knew it though he'd arrived at the travel agents' and joined a queue for service. Having arrived at the desk he was helped by a co-operative lady sales assistant who told him she was confident that with the money paid, they'd be eligible for a future 'open' ticket to Bali to use at their mutual convenience - but would need to slip into their back office to sort out the necessary paperwork.

In smiling acknowledgment, Tony waited at the counter, leafing idly through some brochures, but gradually becoming aware of another call taking place a couple of positions down where another female assistant had been deep in conversation for some time - indeed he observed the length and nature of the call had attracted the sideways-glancing interest of a supervisor.

"Yes - yes I've TOLD you - ALL done - and I've said, I'll keep a very close eye on it...."

At that point Tony's own agent returned,smilingly handing him the folder of information for his renewed trip. As he peeled away to exit through the path marked out by the small silver pillars and lengths of thick red rope, he caught another snatch of the ongoing conversation from further down the main desk where the clerk seemed to be getting increasingly frustrated, continuing in rather low tones "Yes, absolutely , I I can assure you - absolutely EVERYTHING, Ms Simmons..."

Heading on towards the door and outside, Tony thought nothing more of it until he stopped short outside the small bakery next door . SIMMONS - he KNEW that name - did he EVER !! As this new element fed into his mindset, he slowly began to wonder - could THIS be the vital key to what had been happening to them.......?

"NO Fitzy - I worked my day off yesterday, and copped a WHOLE lot of flak for it - - so I'm NOT working this afternoon or evening....what..? oh yes it IS important, very important ! No, no I don't CARE what ...ok? I'll see you tomorrow..." His superior 's voice could still be heard sounding querulously at the other end of the phone as he jammed the receiver back onto its charging cradle just as Martha re-entered re-entered from the other room.

Looking him up and down rather dubiously, Martha said with a warning note in her voice "You needn't think one night alone's going to make any difference to how I feel Jack, it runs a lot deeper than that..."

He cut in quickly "Oh I know, I do know, but please at least give me a CHANCE to start putting things right - I've booked the Sands for dinner, arranged for Colleen to have Jake as she's not working - and most importantly it'll give US time to talk, - come on Martha, what do you say ?"

She looked briefly thoughtful, before pointing an admonishing finger at him and saying " Well.....ok....but I'm making no promises, right !!!?"

His face wreathed in smiles of relief, he kissed her on one cheek and replied "Right - you GOT it - and you WON'T regret i - I promise you !!"

So, having both got ready in their best attire and ordering a taxi, , Jake was dropped off at Colleen's- who despite seeming a little tired from her day at work, expressed her delight at seeing "her little treasure", and then on to the Sands to share a champagne cocktail aperitif - starters of seafood cocktail and melon, and then Jack began enjoying a sirloin steak while Martha preferred poached salmon with hollandaise sauce. Jack poured them out each a glass of Chablis and flashed Martha a smile across the table. She gave a contented sigh and said "Ah now Jack, this is what it SHOULD be like - I'm not asking for treats EVERY night, just time for you and me to be able to be OURSELVES and....."

She stopped short with a frown and eyes rolled upwards at the sound of Jack's mobile phone going off.

He himself tutted and pulled the phone from his pocket to see "Work" flashing on the window .With only a split second's hesitation he turned the phone off and turned back to Martha with a self-justified "ANYWAY,,,,"

It was a decision he was to regret......

PART TEN..

"aarg, ANSWER your damn phone Holden, where the hell ARE you ??" Fitzy was impatient, irate - and the very LAST thing she wanted to hear at that moment was the genial-toned brush-off which was "Hi -you've reached Jack Holden - I'm probably asleep or out on the job - breathe in and leave a message and I'll get back before you know it...!!"

Sergeant Harper poked his head out of the office door with an enquiring look on his face - "Trouble, boss ?"

Fitzy breathed through her nose like a simmering bull that had just been taunted by a particularly virulent scarlet rag.

"Well- first Constable Watson over there.." - a jerk of a thumb towards the female officer to her right - "...takes a call from some guy, just says he hopes Jack's enjoying his evening - while he can - then hangs up . Obviously it came up as a withheld number, and no time to get a trace on it or anything. SO - I phone his house, his work mobile, then Tony and Rachel's, who have no idea where he is -and now his damn PERSONAL mobile goes to voicemail - we NEED to pin him down and QUICKLY at that !

Harper pursed his lips - " Well he certainly didn't say anything to me - you've tried his patrol car radio of course ?" The question's affect on Fitzy was rather akin to someone who'd lost their keys being asked "Where did you last see them ?" The breathing through her nose became firmer and more pronounced - " "YES !- it's outside where Charlie left it before one of the guys took her to collect hers . Jack left Leah's in Martha's car, and if you want to put it this way, that's where the trail goes cold !!"

Within seconds, she was into organizational mode - "Harper, you go back to that street where Charlie found him, Watson you do a trawl of the Bay, Surf Club, diner that kind of place, and obviously go past his house on the way down there, and I'll get on to Charlie in her car - she's doing a double shift, and I'll stay here to draw it all together - and keep a sharp eye for anything suspicious too - ok off you go and be to sure to let me know the moment there's anything AT ALL to report . !"

They all headed off in their various directions while Fitzy rocked impatiently in the seat behind the main reception desk - - HOW often had she told her officers to stay contactable at ALL times ? Yes when they were off-shift, having days off or on holiday she tried to keep it to a minimum or not at all, but this was a prime example of WHY she insisted on that rule - a highly suss call about an officer of hers, and COULD he be found ?? Plus from the brief conversation she'd managed to have with Charlie, it did seem that Jack was at least shin-deep into pursuing something reasonably murky that HADN'T come from her....she allowed herself a very brief smile amidst all the highly aggravating elements of the situation overall.......that WAS Jack overall, wasn't it...something of a maverick, always ready to go his own way when the challenge took him....but - with a determined shake back to the reality of the situation, - that didn't help her any NOW, did it ??

Jotting random thoughts and possible ideas on the pad in front of her, she jerked quickly into life as the phone to her left sounded - snatching up the receiver she instinctively blurted "Yabbie Creek Police Station - Jack ??..." - only to be greeted by the wailing tones of Colleen Smart - promoting Fitzy several ranks at one fell swoop she moaned "Ohhhh Senior Chief Inspector Fitzgerald I'm sooo glad it's you - it reeaaaly wasn't my fault.....WHATEVER will Constable and Mrs Holden say ??.." Her words were intermingled with great gulping sobs, causing Fitzy to urge her to slow down and take her time - taking little heed, she ploughed on, "Well little baby Jake was playing in the living room one minute, and the next - oh I feel faint even THINKING of it......"

"Colleen !! - just exactly WHAT'S happened ??"

"Well someone must have BRAAWKEN into my mobile home , put something over my mouth, then by the time I came round - oooh its simply DREADFUL Chief Detective Superintendent Fitzgerald - - the baby was GONE !!!!"

Fitzy sat bolt upright in her seat - now they had an abduction on their hands !!

Aiden crouched further into the bush running alongside the path approaching the side of the Beach House and looked again to his left and right, a tinge of apprehension mixing with the grim determination on his features. When Shayne had told him this was the next planned location for his father to stage a fund-boosting evening raid, he'd found it hard if not impossible to believe. But then it had all started to connect - Irene's recent 5 ball lottery win and the amount of ready cash she was known to like to keep on hand "for a rainy day" as she always put it, plus Belle's range of photographic and journalistic equipment also

added to the rationale that had been put before him. And so it was that he was secreted here outside the apparent venue for the upcoming 'hit' , clad in a black top and trainers waiting to catch the miscreant in the act. "This needs to stop NOW !" he murmured through gritted teeth.

The Morag Bellingham thing had been bad enough, but he wasn't about to let that rat of a father of his go slithering into the Beach House affecting the lives of people he really cared about, and if this was what it took, then so be it. The vantage point he'd given himself allowed a view of the only two possible avenues of approach for a burglar to arrive and enter, and with the gathering evening quiet he also felt he'd be able to hear any approach by stealth. Squinting his eyes upstairs he eventually saw Irene's bedroom light extinguished after that of the main living room and Belle's. Suddenly he slapped his hand to his jeans pocket as his mobile started to sound - without using up time to see who it had been, he switched it straight off, then looked quickly around to see if it had conceivably attracted any unwarranted attention, before giving a small, cautious sigh of relief.

Despite having been more than persuasively pressed. Shayne had been unable to give any precise time for the proposed burglary, so he was just going to have to be patient.

Moments passed and then he tensed up straight and still, thinking he heard a rustle somewhere to his right. Moving as stealthily as he could manage, he took a few steps on one side in the direction of the house's back exit, and then, ...he felt a hand jammed firmly onto his right shoulder and heard a voice bark sharply "stay RIGHT where you are ! I'm arresting you on suspicion of planning a burglary...."

Cruising the Bay region under Fitzy's orders to track down Jack, Constable Watson had noticed Aiden's movement in turning off his phone, ....and to the black-clad Aiden's misfortune had made her move.....

Geoff's smile was wide and enthusiastic as the girl at the door handed him the leaflet

"So how long have you been a Christian then ?" he asked eagerly "It's just there's so few people I've ever met in the Bay who even want to talk about Bible stuff, let alone what you're doing !!"

The pretty, effusive brunette- an inch or two shorter than Geoff replied "Well I actually saw the light about eighteen months ago, and since then, everything just kind of...well, ....makes SENSE as I'm sure you know what I mean...?"

"Oh do I EVER !.. beamed Geoff..."My Pop- God rest him- drummed The Word into me and my sister right from when we were VERY young, and to be honest, it was a bit full on at times, but it sure showed me the right way to be, and though I get laughed at for saying it here, I still SO want to become a priest..!"

"That's SO awesome !" beamed back the girl, - "my name's Kelli by the way...!"

"And I'm Geoff.." he confirmed with an eager smile..."So what's this....." he read from the leaflet she'd given him..""Christian get-together group." all about then ?" he enquired

"Well really, we just thought-like you - that the Bay needed somewhere where people who think the same could just chill , hang out and talk without getting any hassle, you know...?"

"Sounds fantastic !! - you can count me in !" enthused Geoff

"Well....fabulous !, um...see you there !" responded Kelli as an awkward, half-embarrassed attempt at a handshake resulted in her brushing her hand against Geoff's bare arm, bringing a slight blush to his already glowing cheeks as he closed the door. As he did, Nicole - who'd been painting her toenails in the bedroom was making her usual sedate, semi-regal progress down the stairs.

"Who was that I heard you talking to ?" she demanded in the no-nonsense, directly inquisitive style he'd never quite become used to or indeed comfortable with.

"Oh, uh- no-one,.." he replied, his cheeks flushing once again. As Nicole's eyes narrowed in characteristically suspicious fashion, Kelli was raising her thumb in triumphantly successful style at a figure in the driving seat of a car parked just around the corner from Roman's house.....the figure, which gave a slowly satisfied nod and smile at what the raised thumb inferred belonged to none other than Michael- or if you preferred, Jonah- formerly of the notorious Believers - whether his pleasure was due to the apparent recruitment of another member for the alleged "Christian get-together group" was open to some very real doubt......

**PART ELEVEN

"More coffee, sir ?" The waiter hovered over the breakfast table, coffee pot in hand ,where the occupant sat, eyes fixed intently to a copy of "Coastal News", flicking from one page to another with keen eyes looking to absorb any article in front of him. The newspaper was lowered briefly and the waiter was left to assume that the brief shake of the head topped by expertly trimmed and shaped hair was rejecting the added coffee option, so he trotted back into the kitchen for fresh supplies of bacon to place under the big silver covering lid at the centre of the self-service breakfast bar.

But, the intent reader seemed a man in demand that morning. As he buttered and added honey to his last mouthful of croissant, next to arrive was the hall porter, carrying a folded piece of notepaper which he passed to the breakfaster, smilingly acknowledging the handing back of a five dollar tip in return.

It read " LET'S BRAINSTORM AT 12 - Y CREEK LIBRARY OK ?"

Nodding in silent affirmation, and wiping his mouth, Ric Daulby rose, ready for another day of action.

Leaving the dining room at the exclusive Yabbie Creek Regency Hotel, he trotted upstairs to his room and collected his documents for the day into a state-of-the-art leather briefcase then took the lift back down and -still with time to spare- sauntered along the pavement, glancing in the various shop windows as he went - the longest being reserved for the "TECHNO-BASE", which combined the latest offers in I Phone, Blackberry abd Blue-Ray, with the newest computer game releases and Plasma TVs . Eyes roving with interest from one end of the large, wide and expansive plate glass display window, Ric suddenly again became aware of time, and- liking to always arrive early for these kind of 'power' meetings about the election, he checked the elegant Rolex on his wrist and upped his pace towards the library.

Having arrives there, he glanced briefly into one of the frames of a glass-fronted display cabinet near the door to smooth down his hair, then headed across to one of his preferred public tables for this kind of thing in the distant right-hand corner, sat down and waited.

The time for his scheduled rendezvous was approaching, when he heard footsteps behind him. Instinctively turnin his head, he saw Gavin approaching, Not being a familiar figure to him, Ric turned back with no flicker of recognition. As he did so however he did a distinct double take, as sitting opposite him was NOT his intended contact - but instead Belle, - wearing an enigmatic smile, and joined quickly by Gavin, pulling over a chair from an adjacent table.

Truly taken aback, Ric worked hard not to outwardly betray his emotions, instead muttering "So what's all this about then ?"

Belle replied archly "Well Ric - or should I call you Slick...? - thanks to Gavin here, we know you're representing Mr Casino man in the election, and you see - I'm kind of getting ready to do a front-page article about that...."

Still no discernible flicker fr om Ric, but as Gavin chimed in "You see Ric, you were good enough to respond to the note we sent you, and even though it's my belief you're working alongside some less than choice characters in all this, WE'LL be good enough to drop the article - IF your man's good enough to drop HIS support for the casino plan -am I right, Belle ?"

Her nod was accompanied by a first response from the outnumbered Ric, who gave an involuntary spluttering laugh, adding "Yeah right, you lot have got BUCKLEYS on that one, anyway...!"

Belle waited a few seconds before responding - tapping her pen against her nose in slow beats . she eventually said " Well that IS a shame - "but of course, there IS one other story we could do, isn't there, Gavin ?" As he this time nodded, Ric- with a small semi-sneer in his voice, replied with outward calm "Oh right ? Can't wait to hear what this one's all about !"

A smile crossing her features at gentle pace, Belle replied "Um, well actually you won't have to Ric ....", and, prodding her pen in the air to indicate the space behind him, he turned, and betrayed his first true emotion of the meeting with a flinch and gasp as a very familiar voice greeted him with " Well hi there, Ric..." ....

Aiden thumped the interview table as his frustration levels continued to escalate.

"Why in the hell would I want to rob from the beach house ??" he demanded. voice rising with barely suppressed anger - "they're all my FRIENDS for pity's sake - ESPECIALLY Belle, and you KNOW that !"

Constable Watson eyed him calmly. "Try and see it from my side Aiden - you're not exactly an unfamiliar visitor to this place, now are you ?"

"Yes - in the PAST !!" he barked, thumping the table again to drive home the point.

"Be that as it may, when we see someone known to us , dressed in black clothes..." she moved her hand up and down to indicate his attire "...then I'm sure even you would forgive us at least having our suspicions...?"

The slightly ironic tone to her observations inflamed his sense of wrongful persecution still further and he embarked once again on what had by now become familiar territory.

"Look, if I've told you ONCE , I've told you two flamin' million times...if you ask Shayne..."

"Ah yes, " she cut in, " that would be Shayne Anderson, currently in hospital after a beating over what we BELIEVE to be drug money, and about whom we're currently conducting preliminary investigations over two other matters in the city before he even CAME to the Bay - so forgive me if I don't regard his word with the STRONGEST credit, now won't you"

Aiden sighed and sank back into the chair , shaking his head.

"So, " went on the persistent Constable - "You're in dark clothes, obviously deliberately concealed in one of the bushes, then suddenly you make a move towards the house - what was it all about Aiden ? And how much DOES someone earn working deckhand on a prawn trawler - can't be the most, now can it ? - getting a bit short, were you ?"

"I'm saying nothing more" he said through gritted teeth, "you'll think what you want to anyway, and of course what you're ALSO doing is missing out on the REAL bad guy, but hey.." putting the palms of his hands half-way up in front of him "why should I worry, eh ?"

"Well, you should worry Aiden, because suspicion of attempted robbery is a very serious offence and...."

She broke off as there was a short knock at the door and Charlie Buckton's head looked in, gesturing to Constable Watson who joined her just outside the door, looking at her quizzically.."

"Oh you're going to love this..." she said..."there's been a burglary.....but NOT at the Beach House.....and you're just going to LOVE who we've pulled in for it.....!!"

Tony's exasperation was growing as he was passed from position to position at the travel agent desk. Having heard what he had on his last visit, he'd thought feverishly about whether to let Rachel know, and on a minor balance opted against it.

"Mrs Simmons.....Mrs Simmons.....Mrs Simmons...." had kept echoing through his head.....it must be.....musn't it ?- or was he reading too much into it...? But he HAD to find out - and so here he was, looking to track down the woman agent who'd uttered those words. To the best of what he could see, she wasn't on duty today, but finally. after thirty highly galling minutes of being passed from pillar to post and being squeezed past by people wanting to book holidays, he was finally able to speak to the supervisor he'd seen eyeing the employee in question a little impatiently the previous day.

"Ah - at last !!" he exclaimed gratefully "Now it's a bit of an odd one, but i REALLY need to track down your agent who was in THAT position yesterday.." he said, jerking his thumb at a workstation towards the end of the glass panel separating the front of the office from the back administrative area.

"Is It a query over a holiday package, sir ?" asked the woman a little primly

"Uh no...um..." struggled Tony, hoping his false smile would hide his true motivation "It's just a bit of a personal matter, really - - but it is pretty important, I can say that much !"

"Well are you able to tell me and I can pass on a message ? "

"Well I would rather speak to her personally ....."

"Well in that case I really don't think the re's anything more I can do to help you, sir ", said the woman, sweeping haughtily away.

"Damn.." hissed Tony under his breath, and started slowly to leave through the throng of bodies milling around him. He'd almost reached the end when he looked around in a little confusion on hearing a "pssst" sound - he eventually pinned it down as coming from a dark-haired agent who gestured him over and passed him a fold of paper. He looked at it , then at her, quizzically.., as she made sure the supervisor's gaze was elsewhere, and whispered "That's where she lives - she's not very popular here - really secretive and always on personal phone calls - hope it helps, anyway !"

Mouthing a grateful "thank you.." the spring returned to Tony's step as he left the travel agents' - the first step in solving the weird texts/ "Mrs Simmons" mystery was now in his hands !

Archived