The Biggest Loser Australia 2009

Guest SummerBayLocal

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monday 2 February 2009:

“Fear” is how Nathan summed up the number one emotion most of the contestants felt before their very first weigh-in. Father and daughter Cameron and Sammy were the first couple up, with Cameron weighing 164.1kg and Sammy 118.6kg. Cameron said he blamed himself for Sammy’s weight but Sammy told him not to - she has made her own choices.

Best friends Jodi and Jeda weighed in at 121.5kg and 106.3. When Ajay asked Jodi what they had been through as friends, Jeda cried as she spoke of her daughter that she lost at full term and the open heart surgery Jodi’s son Brodie had when he was only weeks old. These are two very close friends who are determined to support each other all the way.

Next up was the moment of truth for brothers Andrew and Nathan. Andrew’s starting weight was 144.2kg and Nathan’s 145.2kg. Nathan wept as he spoke about how he feels like he’s set a terrible example for his little brother before he exclaimed, “it’s very invigorating to cry!” When Andrew talked about how competitive they’ll be in the gym, Ben gave Sean a look – it looks like there’s going to be quite a contest between these male couples!

Sisters Mel and Holly weighed 102kg and 108.2kg. Mel cried when she recounted how badly Holly used to tease her growing up and an upset Holly said how she hopes Mel can forgive her. Time will tell if this journey will bring these sisters closer.

The combined weight of Tania and Ramses of 273.6 caused Tania to remark that four people should weigh that much, not two. Tania, whose starting weight is 135.7kg, told Ajay that her husband is the love of her life after Ramses sweetly said that he would have married her no matter what she weighed. Ramses’ starting weight is 137.9kg.

Work mates Sharif and Teresa were weighed, with Sharif coming in at 178.3kg and Teresa, 115kg. The in-laws Bob and Tiffany weighed 167.8kg and 113.6 respectively. Baseball nuts Ben and Sean weighed in at 153.1kg and 132.5kg. As a mother, Julie said it felt terrible to watch her daughter Meaghan go through the pain of her weigh-in. Julie weighed 123.4kg and Meaghan 109.6kg.

The final weigh-in of the night was as intense as it gets. At 170.4kg, Amanda is officially the heaviest female that has ever been on the Biggest Loser, while her weight combined with the 136.4kg of her husband, Stewart, makes them the heaviest couple in this series. After Amanda spoke about her dream of being an opera singer, Ajay encouraged her to sing a song to try and stop the tears. Her beautiful singing voice amazed the other contestants and there wasn’t a dry eye in the house. Her husband’s wry remark, “The fat lady’s just sung”, brought to an end the first weigh-in of Biggest Loser 2009.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I feel as they though humiliated Amanda, leaving her till last and then telling her she was the heaviest woman on the show ever. I thought I was doing really well not crying... till the man explained what his tat stood for - cue the buckets of tears.

I hate the weigh in episodes, it must be horrible to be weighed on national TV!

Tuesday 3 February 2009:

Cameron said he hoped that trainers Michelle and Shannan would be gentle with the contestants during their first training session but there was little chance of that. Michelle said that they couldn’t wait to see how much they could push the couples as the group gathered on the beach for their training. What followed caused Ben to realise that they weren’t there for a holiday but were “entering a world of pain”.

Within five minutes Cameron and some of the other contestants were struggling. Bob hit the wall first, with the medic being called but he rallied and rose to his feet again. Shannan and Michelle were impressed with how much effort Sharif and Amanda were putting in. Amanda spoke to Shannan about her history of addiction, including being addicted to drugs in her late teens. Shannan observed that if someone can beat a drug addiction, they can certainly lose weight.

Michelle was not so impressed with Holly who sat down and wouldn’t get up, with Andrew observing that this sister was always “whinging” during the training session. Michelle forced Holly to get back into it. Shannan has felt an instant affinity with Jodi and Jeda and after he told Jeda his mother had still births, Jeda cried as she opened up and told him that she thinks of the daughter she lost every day.

Shannan and Michelle then started pulling the contestants out individually and putting them into two separate groups, with each contestant in a different group to their partner’s. The trainers were choosing their teams and the couples were distraught at being split up, with Jodi and Jeda in tears. Once Shannan gave a blue shirt to both mother and daughter Julie and Meaghan, the couples were incredibly relieved that they will be in teams together. There were ten different coloured shirts to be handed out, though, and the couples discovered that they are each a separate team.

That night the contestants sat by a bonfire and burnt the t-shirts they had worked out in that day as a symbolic farewell to their old life. Saying a few words each before they threw their shirts in the fire, Julie thanked her daughter for bringing her on the show and vowed to become “the best version of me that I can be”.

The next day the couples gathered at the pier to make their food choice for the week. The warehouse “Island-style” saw two crates deposited on the pier, one containing eggs, the other barbequed chicken. Without much dissent, the couples opted for eggs. Later as the couples talked amongst themselves in their rooms, Tania laughed that all those eggs might make the contestants a bit whiffy, while brothers Andrew and Nathan were busy strategising. In Nathan’s opinion, they are the only couple to be doing so and the others don’t realise that they’re there to play the game.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Phew, I was being nice about Holly coz I didn't wanna be bashed :P But yeah, what you said!

I really like Amanda, Jeda and Bob. Especially Bob, he collapsed and thought his body couldn't take it anymore. But what did he do? He got right back up declared he needed to do this and did it! :D <3

Archived