Aden/Nicole

Nicole and Aden being a couple would not work in my opinion. I'm not sure why some believe that they would have had less drama. I guess it's easy to believe that when so far their scenes are just lighthearted. If Nicole had been the one paired with Aden from the beginning then she would have been the one beside him through all his issues. And instead of cutesy scenes, we would have saw them go through that drama that came along with it. I wonder if it would still have the same appeal to most. Since it seems what attracts them most to their scenes is the fact that it's funny, and cute. I'm guessing that considering ever since they became 'bestfriends' that's mostly the kind of scenes they've had. Also we've seen in the beginning that Nicole wouldn't have been cut out to handle the issues that came along with being with him. From when his father was in hospital, calling him pathetic because he went to see Belle, calling him disgusting instead of just letting him down gently. Because apparently it's good to put down someone who is in an already fragile state. She wasn't selfless enough, back then, to realise that sometimes you have to put someones else's feeling first. Also even after the OC, her first action as his new bestfriend was helping him put off having to take responsibilty for his actions. I feel it's easy to say two people would perfect together when all you see them do is smile and joke every once in a while(after most of the real issues have been dealt with, mind you, and even then they aren't the ones helping you get past the remaining ones, and mostly only when they are seperated from their partners), but, for me, what makes a really good couple is how they are willing to help each other during the hard times together or apart. The everyday hard stuff. And going through that may not be as cute, funny, or even makes you smile for most part while watching, but it feels more real and shows so much more depth, so it's pleasure watching. This way when the characters finally get to be happy and act cute it makes it so much better to watch. I'd take this over those cutesy and cliched stuff anyday. I love it when I don't feel like I have to turn my brain off to get through a scene like I have to do with anything Nicole related recently.

As for their friendship, it was so clearly created because with Belle and Geoff out of the picture, Aden and Nicole had no one to interact with around their age. The same way they created Nicole's random friendship with Geoff to get them together, they created this friendship for when she doesn't have Geoff. Since the writers were to busy having Nicole jump from feelings for Aden, straight to feelings for Elliot, straight to feelings for Geoff, to form proper bonds for Nicole with other characters in her group. And Aden doesn't actually have anyone around his age to interact. This friendship doesn't feel any different then when they sometimes pair up characters around the same age because theres no one else for them.

Edited by Jody

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Well, I was coming in here to post on this, but Jody has put everything there in a much more intelligent way than I could have! :lol:

I enjoy the Aden-Nicole relationship as it is at the minute, with the snarky banter and siblingish cattiness and fighting.

At this point in time, I don't think a relationship between them would work at all. Nicole is too 'young' (for want of a better word) and immature for Aden.

Jody hit on an interesting point, I mean if Aden wasn't with Belle then who could he be paired up with?? Nicole is really the only contender....there really is no one else of his age around for him to interact with. (However, ever since those pics emerged of

Aden and Charlie filming scenes together...that has been rumbling round my head as a potential hot pairing!!! Although, we have to get through Changelo first!)

I could possibly get behind an Aden-Nicole coupling, but it would have to be much further down the road, and I think Nicole would need to become a bit more mature in order for it to happen believably.

There would be some opportunity for some good comic lighthearted scenes though, which would be great......because these have been ALL too lacking with Adelle lately...which is a point for another thread.... :rolleyes:

I like Aden and Nicole. They have at the moment a nice brother sister relationship. But i would like to see that change. I believe that they would be good together as a couple.

I don't see much at the moment sexual chemistry between Belle and Aden or Geoff and Nicole.

I do how ever see sexual tension between Aden and Nicole.

Nicole really cares for Aden. I would like them together.

As for their friendship, it was so clearly created because with Belle and Geoff out of the picture, Aden and Nicole had no one to interact with around their age. The same way they created Nicole's random friendship with Geoff to get them together, they created this friendship for when she doesn't have Geoff. Since the writers were to busy having Nicole jump from feelings for Aden, straight to feelings for Elliot, straight to feelings for Geoff, to form proper bonds for Nicole with other characters in her group. And Aden doesn't actually have anyone around his age to interact. This friendship doesn't feel any different then when they sometimes pair up characters around the same age because theres no one else for them.

Everything you have said makes sense but even if the friendship was convienent, for me it still works and thats what counts.

I've tried to defend Nicole on this one before and made a pig's ear of it but I'll have a go again.When Nicole found Aden drunk when his father was in hospital, she tried to help him.She could have done a better job of it, she could have done worse.He kept telling her to leave him alone, she tried to get him to come home, which seems like a much better solution that turning up drunk in the bedroom of the girl he fancies.She admitted she liked him(possibly the first time she'd done that to anyone?)and he responded by basically jumping her.She pushed him off and probably could have used a more diplomatic way of putting it than "drunk and disgusting".I actually think that showed she'd matured a bit because a few weeks earlier, when she was trying to seduce him on the living room floor, I think she'd probably have been happy having a drunken fumble with him.But she'd learnt a bit of self-respect by then.He then started abusing her again, at which point she had enough and stormed off.I think a lot of other people would have reacted the same way in that situation.Belle's way of handling it, letting him stay in her room, was possibly not the best idea:It might have been more sensible to ring Roman and let him know where he was or point him in the direction of the couch.And she didn't even have to put up with him being abusive.The final slap in the face for Nicole was the following morning when she realised she'd put herself on the line and Aden didn't even remember any of it.

If they'd got together back then, could she have handled his problems?I think their relationship would have been more of a mutual one, instead of Belle supporting him the whole time(then).Although her problems don't really compare to his, they were similar characters(she'd had a somewhat neglectful parent, been the recipient of unwanted advances from her stepfather and as a result was a bit insecure and tended to take it out on the world).They'd have either screwed each other up more or helped each other through it.When he freaked out on her, she didn't really handle it better or worse than Belle.If he'd told her the truth afterwards, and if he'd done it calmly like he did with Belle, how would she have reacted?Hard to tell.She's handled herself well in serious situations since then but that was after she'd matured a bit:She took in the news about Martha's miscarriage, she handled Melody when she ran away from the clinic, she took the news of Aden's abuse in her stride when she finally got it and she did seem to be trying to support him at and after the clinic in her own Nicole way(which was pretty big of her, given that she nearly died while he was attempting patricide and he didn't seem to care).If she'd been the one dealing with his issues, she'd probably have made a joke about it because that's her way and he seems to understand that.(After the trial, she made a joke about him being in prison and while he didn't exactly laugh he wasn't offended because he knew it was her way of showing affection.)But it would have been interesting to see them deal with it together.

Convenient or random, I can actually believe in Aden and Nicole as friends or as a couple and it's worth noting that aside from Geoff and Belle they're as close to each other in age as anyone else.It's probably a discussion for another thread but I've never been able to believe in Aden and Belle, that seemed truly random because I just couldn't believe that those characters with that history would react like that.I think Aden and Nicole have got a chemistry that they lack.

They'd have either screwed each other up more or helped each other through it.

Screwed each other up, definitely. I think now, at this point, they both understand each other better, and so could possibly build some sort of foundation for a future relationship.

Back then, I think its important to remember that Aden was beginning to form an attachment to Belle by then, and it was important for him to continue to be able to trust someone in order to be able to open up to them. Nicole's previous sexual aggressive nature towards him would have made it impossible for Aden to confide in her then.

He then started abusing her again, at which point she had enough and stormed off.I think a lot of other people would have reacted the same way in that situation.

Now, I have to take this point up with you! :D I think I saw a post from you in another thread, saying that the night of the formal Aden shouldn't have brought Melody home in her 'altered' state and then promptly left her with Annie and Jai, even though Melody had abused them all by telling them to get stuffed!

Now, you're defending Nicole for abandoning a drunken Aden alone on the end of a pier after he slagged her off!

I know you're not at Aden fan....but is that not a case of a little bit of double standards?? :P

(Sorry...I'm an Aden fan and will defend him to the death!!....well maybe not to the death, but close enough!! :D )

No, I did actually mean that scene.Maybe it's a little double standards, maybe not.I think the difference is that Aden offered to look after Melody, effectively taking responsibility for her, and then didn't see it through.Whereas Nicole tried a lot harder to help Aden(who showed so little concern for Melody he might as well have been a taxi driver), took a lot more from him and wasn't really responsible for him since he was technically an adult.She should probably have gone to Roman and got him to have a go if she couldn't handle it herself but nobody's perfect.Just my view.

In a way Aden did all he offered to. He offered to take Melody home instead of Miles (knowing that Miles needed to stay to watch over the formal) and he did so. I don't think he is in the wrong at all. Staying home with her to make sure she is alright is more then he requested to do and it was the night of his year 12 formal. He also asked Annie and Jai to keep an eye on her which they said yes so he followed through in making sure Melody was safe for the night. Imo in Nicole's situation, She offended him and thought following him to make sure he will be fine would only make the situation worse between them. If she did, Aden could've possibly teared her apart(not literally) as we all know he is capable of it.

But she'd learnt a bit of self-respect by then.He then started abusing her again, at which point she had enough and stormed off.I think a lot of other people would have reacted the same way in that situation

He didn't abuse her again. When he was insulting her it was before she told him about her feelings. So really being thought so less off, and insulted really didn't put her of wanting to be with him. He tried to kiss her(although what other reaction was she expecting when she decided to express her feelings to a guy who was drunk), she shoved him off, called him disgusting, then he said she's disgusting(which was basically more of a childish remark because of his drunkness than a proper hitting remark), then stumbled away, while she sat there. She didn't have enough and storm off. She just didn't want anything to happen if he was drunk, and for that I can give her some credit. But the way she goes about things needs to count for something. Sometimes the person care alot about someone and have good intentions but the way they go about handling these situations can cause alot of damage. Also her actions earlier on didn't get me thinking she could handle his issues. Her first action was to stick it to Belle, rather check on him. And twice, in that ep, she expressed her concern in a quite insensitive way. It doesn't give me much reason to believe she was mature enough to take on the issues that came with dating Aden.

(she'd had a somewhat neglectful parent, been the recipient of unwanted advances from her stepfather and as a result was a bit insecure and tended to take it out on the world).They'd have either screwed each other up more or helped each other through it.When he freaked out on her, she didn't really handle it better or worse than Belle.If he'd told her the truth afterwards, and if he'd done it calmly like he did with Belle, how would she have reacted?

I accidently deleted the first part of this above comment about how the storyline would have been different had Aden been with Nicole. I honestly don't think this abuse storyline, and how he dealt with it, would have been written based on which character he was paired up with. There were alot of key moments that writers needed to happen with Aden's storyline, and it would played out the same way no matter who was with him. From what we have seen, Belle has always felt like her parents didn't like her, and when she finally finds her real mother, she gets betrayed by her. Infact Belle also once got kicked out of her home by Amanda, and for a while Belle was lead to believe it happened because of drinking problem. I think that would make her more likely to understand Aden and fathers drinking, well not really, but much more then Nicole could if we were going by this kind of reasoning. As for unwanted advances, it may not have been a family member, but Dom tried to force himself on her in the gym once, as well going as far as to drug her in order to do so at his house. Way worse then Nicole, and yet even now I don't think this would have been enough for Belle to truly comprehend what Aden went through. Also we found out earlier on that Bellle was really vulnerable and insecure, yet covered it up with all her attitude back then. So basically theres nothing that makes what Nicole went through special enough to have helped Aden's recovery any more then others could. Nicole's reaction was actually worse. Belle, while hurt, was willing to realise that theres a bigger issue going on. And she wasn't about let him hide behind it. Only when he made it clear he wasn't willing admit it did she move on. In the ep where he confessed, she didn't give in to his apologies quickly. I remember the scene in the dinner, when she stood her ground and didn't give in, until he was ready to explain his actions. Because this time sorry wasn't going to cut it. Nicole on the other chose to respond by throwing him being kicked out by his father in his face. She felt embrassed, hurt, or whatever, and chose to respond by make him feel bad. Yes she has right to be upset, but the thing is that Nicole's reaction, back then, to being hurt was always to turn around and make the person she felt responsible feel terrible about themselves. Back then, she did it to Melody quite few times, insulted Charlie most of the time for no reason, and treated Roman like crap for along time. And I don't feel a person who deals with her emotions that way would be good for Aden's recovery.

She's handled herself well in serious situations since then but that was after she'd matured a bit:She took in the news about Martha's miscarriage, she handled Melody when she ran away from the clinic, she took the news of Aden's abuse in her stride when she finally got it and she did seem to be trying to support him at and after the clinic in her own Nicole way(which was pretty big of her, given that she nearly died while he was attempting patricide and he didn't seem to care).

Exactly after she matured. Which came after the OC. By then Aden's issues had reached breaking point. And since she only matured then thats further prove that she wasn't in any place to handle Aden's issues before, which was when everything was really happening. Before then I also remember the way she jumped to wanting to talk about Elliot after Roman had just told her about Martha's cancer. She reasoned by saying it's because he didn't want to talk about it, but the mature thing to do would be sit quietly and be supportive, not hound a man whose dealing with the fact that his closest friend as cancer with questions about some guy. He made it clear that he didn't want to talk about both earlier. So if she changed the subject because she knew he didn't want to talk about Martha, and just wanted to make general conversation, what gave her the idea that he'd be up to talking about Elliot, who he didn't want to about just as much as Martha. So clearly that was just her selfishly wanting to know about Ellliot, yet when she's called on it she made Roman out to be the bad guy. And thats the way she handled finding out her fathers closest friend has cancer. And thats just another examples of the way she badly handled the tough stuff back then. As for it being big of her, Aden was having a mental breakdown over finding out his father knowingly left him in the care of a child rapist, while she almost died, yet took the time to run along the beach, joke, and take someones virginity, I doubt she has a good enough reason to be angry that in the middle of what he was going through he didn't stop to worry about her. I'm quite surprised you found it big of her to try and support him, I was under the impression that you didn't like when people supported him just like that after what he did.

If she'd been the one dealing with his issues, she'd probably have made a joke about it because that's her way and he seems to understand that.(After the trial, she made a joke about him being in prison and while he didn't exactly laugh he wasn't offended because he knew it was her way of showing affection.)But it would have been interesting to see them deal with it together.

Exactly after the trail. When everything was over. It's okay to crack joke about the serious stuff then to lighten the mood. But I don't think that approach would have done much to help his recovery when he was going through all the stuff with his dad. Those everyday ones. He needed a strong support system. And making light of the situation wouldn't have helped help him.

All in all I feel Nicole didn't have what it takes to handle the issues that came along with Aden from the beginning. She way she used to go about handling herself when she was hurt, or upset doesn't inspire much faith in her ability to be selfless.

We seem to disagree with almost every point on this topic, but I do respect what you're saying. Just thought I'd share my opinions on it. But enough of Nicole now. I swear everytime I say to myself I'm not going to bother with her, thinking of her irritates me so much that I feel the need to rant about it.

Edited by Jody