Stockholm Syndrome

Guest Louise_2983

I hope you all enjoy reading this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Chapter 21

Belle come on, I think you’ve had enough don’t you?” Tony looked at her slightly disapprovingly.

“No” she shook her head adamantly.

You come on Tony” she tried her puppy dogs eyes on him but was slightly too intoxicated to pull it off.

“Just one more. One tiny, little drink more? Please?”

“Belle seriously, do you want me to lose my license?” he replied sternly just as Aden entered the bar on his way out of the gym.

“Is everything ok?” he looked inquisitively from Belle to Tony and then back to Belle again.

“Aden!” Belle exclaimed, twisting around on the bar stool on which she perched, her face slightly raised to look at up at him.

“I’m not meant to be talking to you” she shook her head and then paused as if trying to process her own words.

“Or I’m meant to be talking to you. I don’t remember which” she giggled as she poked him sharply in the centre of his chest with her forefinger.

“Ow! Well you were talking to me earlier. How much have you had to drink exactly?”

Belle shrugged and then began to count on her hands. Aden’s eyes widened with each finger she raised. She examined her fingers with a confused expression before throwing her hands up in the air dramatically.

“I don’t know. Ran out of fingers!”

Aden looked to Tony for an answer to his question.

“Don’t look at me mate” Tony laughed.

“I wouldn’t have let her get in this state. I just took over from Bridget for the last hour. Who knows how much Bridget’s served her”

“Bridget doesn’t care how much I drink” Belle informed him matter of factly.

“She’s too busy pretending to have cancer!”

“What?!” Aden exclaimed.

“Ok I think we can safely say Belle’s been talking to Rachel today” Tony cringed at the loud volume at which Belle had blurted out her last sentence.

Belle nodded her head.

“I went to see her and the twins. Aren’t they gorgeous?” she swooned.

“That they are, although I am a little biased” Tony brimmed with pride.

“Well I’m not! I’d tell you if they were ugly” she replied bluntly and Aden couldn’t help but laugh.

“I’m serious!” she protested.

“I mean can you imagine if you spent 9 months waiting for your baby to get here and then when it did it was ugly?! And it’s not like you can send it back or exchange it for a credit voucher is it?”

“No I guess not” Aden smirked, suppressing his laughter.

“Not that I have to worry about it. When they removed that tube they took away 50% of my chance of ever having children. Those are not good odds! Talk about kicking a girl when she’s down....and

unconscious and bleeding internally in my case”

She paused for a second before laughing to herself at her own joke which no one else found remotely funny.

“Ok Belle, I think it’s time to go home” Tony suggested gently.

“No!” she protested.

“I can’t go home”

She reduced her voice to what she believed to be a whisper but in reality was still far louder than her normal volume and leant forwards towards Tony, folding her arms on the bar, before continuing.

“Nicole and Geoff are talking. Well Geoff will be. Nicole only has two settings; shouting and screaming!”

“Belle come on that’s not true” Aden shook his head behind her. She didn’t look up at him, her gaze remaining on Tony.

“He’s right” she nodded and continued as though she was letting him in on a big secret.

“There’s bitchy and judgemental too. That makes four.”

“Belle!” Aden protested but couldn’t help chuckling.

“But it’s ok because she made me a dress today. She also called me an idiot, practically blamed me for everything that’s happened to Aden since his conception and threatened to make my life hell...

but she made me a dress so that makes everything ok!” she announced sarcastically.

“Definitely home time, I’ll call Irene to come and get her” Tony spoke to Aden above Belle’s head.

“I am here!” Belle shouted loudly pointing to herself with both index fingers.

“Really? We never would have noticed. You’re so quiet and reserved tonight” Aden mocked as Belle tried to climb off the bar stool.

“I can walk home by myself” she argued, losing her footing and toppling off the stool. Instantly Aden’s arms shot out to catch her, he pulled her upright but kept his arms wrapped around her waist.

“I’ll walk her home” he assured Tony.

“Get off Aden!” she unsuccessfully tried to prise his arms from around her.

“I can walk home by myself! After all it’s not your place to walk me home any more is it?”

“Ouch” he winced as she turned his earlier words against him. She rotated her head to look at him.

“I don’t get to be proud anymore and you don’t get to walk”

“Really? Going to set your heavies on me are you?” his face wrinkled into a laugh.

“Shut up!” She commanded unable to form a more cutting response.

“And get off me!”

“No, you’re coming with me” he effortlessly lifted her petite body off the floor and began to carry her towards the exit.

“ADEN!” she bellowed, kicking her legs rapidly against his. He ignored her and continued to carry her across the room.

“Tony, stop him! He’s kidnapping me!!” she shouted back to the older male.

Aden laughed as he finally managed to get her out of the door.

“Wouldn’t be the first time would it?”

“Belle! Come back here! Where are you going now?” he sighed trailing after her. After he had finally given in and lowered her to the ground a few metres away from The Surf Club she had done nothing

but wander off every few minutes. The journey was taking much longer than normal and he was growing tired of having to run after her and pick her up every time she fell over. Having finally got to the

point where the Beach House was in sight he had begun to relax only for her to make a break for it again.

“Window!” she announced.

“What?...Oh no...No way!” he sighed as she reached her bedroom window and started to manoeuvre her way through it.

“Yes way!” she replied, banging her head on the wooden frame as she did so.

“I want to know what’s so good about the window!” she told him as he rushed to pull her away. Before he could reach her she toppled through the open window and crashed onto her bedroom floor with

an almighty thump.

Mere fractions of a second behind her he stuck his upper body into the house to find her laid flat on her back next to the bed with her hands covering her face. Her body shook as muffled sounds escaped her mouth.

“Please be laughing” he pleaded, unable to decipher whether the distorted sounds emanating from her were laughs or tears.

She pulled her hands away from her face and threw her head back with a chuckle. He sighed in relief and quickly pulled his body through the window.

“Are you ok?” he enquired kneeling down on the floor in front of her.

“Yep” she nodded.

“I don’t know what all the fuss is about the window though. I don’t see any appeal”

“The appeal” he explained trying to lift her up from the floor but finding it impossible as she pushed herself back down.

“Was that you were on the other side”

“Not when I’m the one climbing through silly” she giggled.

“That wasn’t fun. That hurt”

“I thought you said you were ok?” concern flashed over his face.

“I am. I can’t feel hurt right now. But tomorrow that will hurt” she giggled to herself again.

“Trust me tomorrow you’re going to have a hangover so bad you won’t be bothered about whatever you just did falling through that window” he assured her.

“Aden, do you not know anything?” she looked at him exasperated.

“ You have to be drunk to get a hangover. And I’m not drunk”

“You’re not drunk?!” he raised his eyebrows suspiciously in her direction as he continued to lean over her.

“I’m tipsy. There’s. A. Difference.” She spelt out as if he was stupid.

“Tipsy. Right” he nodded grinning.

“I am!” she bellowed.

“Ssssh!” he ordered trying to pull her up once more.

“It’s late. You’ll wake Irene or Geoff and Annie”

As if on cue Geoff appeared in the doorway.

“Erm Belle is everything ok?” he mumbled clearly shocked to find Aden there.

“Everything’s just grrreat!” she exclaimed with more than a hint of sarcasm.

“It’s ok Geoff, I’m dealing with it” Aden told him and felt just a little bit of satisfaction surge through him when Geoff turned to leave apparently confident that Aden could handle the situation.

“Geoff!” Belle called after him, tilting her head back so she could look up at him.

“Did you and Nicole make up?” she asked in a playful voice before smacking her lips together loudly and making kissing noises in his direction. Geoff instantly flushed crimson.

“Erm yeah we did, thanks for that”

“Just call me cupid” she laughed quietly to herself as Geoff turned to leave again.

“Geoff?”

This time it was Aden calling him back.

“If you hurt Nicole again then I swe-“

“Aden!” Belle interrupted, slapping a hand forcefully against Aden’s cheek.

“Leave him alone! It wasn’t his fault!”

“She’s only got 4 settings remember?” she reminded him as if that would suddenly help everything make sense. Aden looked up to finish his sentence only to find Geoff gone.

“Come on you” he turned his attention back to her.

“Up!”

Finally she let him raise her body from the floor and lay her gently on the freshly made bed.

“Aden Jeffries” she smiled pulling him towards her, her fist grabbing a chunk of his black t-shirt.

“You’ll do anything to get a girl into bed won’t you?” she teased.

“Only you Belle Taylor. Only you” he joined in her teasing, grinning suggestively at her.

“I bet you say that to all the girls” she replied lifting her body upwards and propping herself up on her elbows so her face was a tiny fraction of a centimetre away from his.

Before he had time to realise what she was about to do her warm lips were pressed against his. She tasted of diet coke and cherry flavoured vodka yet somewhere beneath the vast amount of alcohol

she still tasted exactly the same she always had.

Warm, sweet, irresistible.

A small, breathy moan escaped her body as she kissed him tenderly and began to move her palm across the small of his back.

“Belle, No!” he pushed her away.

“But Aden...” she protested feebly.

“You don’t want this. You’re just drunk”

She looked at him annoyed.

“Tipsy” he corrected himself and appeased her slightly.

“You don’t want this, you’ll only regret it in the morning”

“What do you know?!” she asked frustrated as her elbows gave way beneath her and she flopped back flat against the bed.

“Six month ago guys were fighting over me and now...now nobody wants me!” she moaned.

“Angelo’s dating Leah. I like Leah. Leah’s nice” she told him as if it was something he didn’t know.

“Yes she is” he laughed.

“Angelo’s dating Leah” she repeated as though trying to make it sink into Aden’s brain.

“And you...you’ve got Gracie” she sighed dramatically.

“Gracie. Gracie with her blonde hair... and her boobs... and her legs up to here!”

Without warning she flung a hand high up in the air to demonstrate and almost hit him straight in the nose.

Quickly he grabbed hold of her hand to prevent her doing him anymore damage and cradled it in between his own hands.

“I have never seen your eyes look so green Belle Taylor” he tutted before laughing to show he was teasing.

“My eyes have never been green!” she scolded him before muttering under her breath, just loud enough for him to hear.

“And Nicole says I’m an idiot”

He chuckled at her failure to pick up on his meaning.

“Did she really threaten to make your life hell?” he asked suddenly serious.

“A ha” she nodded.

“But don’t worry, I can take her” she pulled her hand from his before raising both hands, fists clenched, and making a boxing movement.

“That I don’t doubt” he smiled as she let her eyelids flutter shut and dropped her head to the side, resting it on the plump pillow beneath her.

“But seriously she is not getting away with that” he told her fully expecting her to object and tell him that it was her fight not his. But she didn’t respond.

“Belle?” he questioned as a small gush of air escaped from her mouth and he realised she had literally fallen to sleep as soon as her head had hit the pillow. Tenderly her brushed her hair from her face

and gazed intently at her sleeping figure before covering her gently with a nearby blanket.

He crept across the room silently and settled for the night in the chair positioned on the opposite side of Belle’s bedroom.

“Morning!” he deliberately bellowed as she sat up and glanced around, trying to decipher why she was in bed fully dressed.

“Arrgh” she moaned , her hands flying to her temple in distress.

“Head hurt this morning does it?” he laughed from across the room.

“What are you doing here?” she looked at him accusingly.

“And why is there a heavy metal band doing a one off gig in my head right now?”

He laughed and without a word strolled out into the kitchen. Irene did a double take from where she stood by the sink.

“What the?!”

She looked at him suspiciously.

“You know what? I’m not even going to ask anymore” she told him, shaking her head as she went back to washing her breakfast dishes.

“Paracetamol?” he requested as he filled a glass with ice cold water. She reached into a drawer and placed the painkiller in his hand.

“I thought you were off the grog?”

“I am. Belle it would appear isn’t.”

“Oh lord, is she ok?”

“Nothing these won’t cure” he assured her as he took two tablets from the bottle and made his way back into Belle’s room.

“Here” he handed her the tablets and held the glass as she sipped from it.

“Oh my god” she moaned.

“How much did I drink last night?”

“I don’t know. You ran out of fingers” he laughed.

“What?” she looked at him confused.

“It doesn’t matter” he smiled.

“Oh my god!” she suddenly exclaimed so loudly that she made him jump.

“I didn’t!” she cried.

“Please tell me I didn’t.”

“Oh my god I did!” she covered her eyes in embarrassment as part of the previous night came flooding back to her.

“I threw myself at you didn’t I?” she asked him as she looked at him through the gaps between her fingers.

“Ah don’t worry about” he laughed.

“It happens all the time. It’s just the effect I have on women”

“Shut up! You wish!” she threw a pillow at him, managing to hit him square on the chest.

“Whatever I did that I don’t remember. And the bits that I do. I’m sorry”

“It was quite enlightening actually” he bounced the pillow around in his lap.

“Enlightening how?” she questioned dreading his response. Had she let slip something she shouldn’t have?

“Well some people are aggressive when they’re drunk. Others are really affectionate. But you Belle Taylor, you turn into Nicole”

“What?! Shut up!”

“Seriously I have never heard so many bitchy comments pass your lips before”

She stuck her tongue out at him. Completely seriously.

“What are you doing here anyway? Did you stay here all night?” she suddenly realised the reality of the situation.

“Well someone had to make sure you didn’t choke on your own vomit and die” he replied bluntly.

“Please tell me I didn’t vomit in front of you...not that I haven’t done that before but...”

“Relax, there was no vomit. Thank god!”

“So there’s really no need for you to be here right now then is there?” she replied suddenly defensive.

“I...well I guess not”. Her sudden abruptness shocked him a little.

“I’ve got things to do so you should go. I’m fine. Enjoying the concert I didn’t even buy a ticket for” she pointed to her head.

“Right, then I’ll see you around I guess” he mumbled.

“Yeah I guess so” she replied as he walked out of the room and her gaze fell on the dress bag hanging on the front of her wardrobe.

She groaned loudly.

Not only did she feel like crap she was probably going to spend the whole ball looking like it too thanks to Nicole.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 22.

“Well well girly don’t you scrub up well?” Irene smiled as Belle entered the room.

“Are you sure, it’s not too...too...” she struggled to find the right word as she smoothed down the soft material of the cobalt blue dress which clung to her upper body in all the right places before flowing into a looser fit below her waist.

“Nicole?” she finally asked as she settled on the right word.

“Belle, you look lovely. Better than lovely, stunning” Irene reassured her gently arranging the few loose tendrils of hair not pinned up in a chignon around Belle’s face, her dark colouring complimenting

the bright blue of the dress perfectly.

“But I thought you weren’t coming to the ball? Where did you suddenly magic a dress from?”

“I didn’t. Nicole’s playing fairy godmother. Cinderbella you shall go to the ball!” she mocked, lifting her right arm and pretending to wave a wand over her head.

Irene chuckled as Annie descended the staircase and joined them. Her pale green dress was simple and draped loosely around her body.

“You look really pretty” Belle told her as Annie stared her, mouth wide open.

“What?” Belle asked nervously.

“Right that’s it, I’m getting changed. I knew this was a mistake”

“No!” Annie protested.

“You look amazing!”

“Are you sure?” Belle enquired, already halfway back to her bedroom.

“Yes you look s-“

“Wow!” Geoff let out a low wolf whistle as he exited his room and a quick glance in his direction confirmed to Belle that it was indeed aimed at her.

“Geoff!” she scolded.

“I’m practically your sister!”

“But not genetically so it’s ok really” Annie defended him.

“And you do look really, really pretty” she added desperately trying to appease Belle as the expression on her face turned to one of annoyance.

“That’s no excuse for animal behaviour Annie. I’m not some piece of meat Geoff! And the way you’re all reacting you’d think I normally looked terrible!”

She was pulling uncomfortably on the dress again. It wouldn’t have been her first choice but she had to admit it was beautiful and she loved the blue hue of the material. She hadn’t been prepared for

such a reaction however and the attention was making her uncomfortable.

“Of course you don’t!” Annie exclaimed clearly horrified that she might have offended Belle.

“You just look especially lovely tonight”

“Thanks” Belle accepted the compliment graciously this time, feeling slightly guilty at causing the high pitched anxiety in Annie’s voice.

“But Nicole made it actually so she be the one getting the compliments” she tried to brush the attention away from her.

“Nicole made it?!” Annie gawped at the dress again trying to digest this new information.

“Yeah she made two. She decided not to wear this one so she gave it to me”

“You know she lied about that right?” Geoff looked at her doubtfully.

“What?!” Belle exclaimed.

“You mean she didn’t make it? Did she buy it? And now she’s trying to take the credit?!”

“No!” Geoff shook his head laughing.

“Although I wouldn’t put it past her to try that! She did make it and she was going to wear it, the one she’s wearing was her second choice”

“I don’t understand?” she looked up at him for clarification.

“I don’t know what she did to offend you but it must have been bad considering how guilty she seems to be feeling”

“Nicole’s got a conscience?!” Belle scoffed.

“Yes!” Geoff instantly defended her.

“She feels really guilty for whatever it was she did and I’m not sure I should be telling you this but...” he paused clearly weighing up who he owed the greater loyalty to. Belle or Nicole.

“Spill it Geoff” Belle commanded.

Although his mental scales had tipped the balance in favour of Nicole, Geoff was genuinely scared of Belle’s wrath and continued talking anyway.

“Well she seems to be on some sort of mission to get you and Aden back together. So she gave you the dress she thought he’d prefer.”

“The little...! Right, that’s it I really am getting changed!”

“No you’re not girly!” Irene grabbed Belle’s arm and pulled her back.

“We’re leaving in 5 minutes. I know for a fact you don’t have anything else to wear. We’re not all waiting around for you to try on everything you own. You look gorgeous. If you’re going to murder

Nicole tonight, at least do it looking good!”

Belle couldn’t help but laugh.

“Ok! Ok!” she gave in before something occurred to her and she turned to Geoff for an answer.

“So you and Nicole made up last night?”

“Erm Belle you asked me that last night when you got back. You know we did” he replied as if she was slightly stupid.

“What? No I didn’t. Hold on? Did I talk to you after I left you with Nicole last night?”

“Well you were particularly wasted bu-“

“I was tipsy!” she argued.

“Belle you were drunk” he replied adamantly.

“But I would have thought you would have at least remembered slapping Aden”

“I slapped Aden?!” she screeched in horror.

Her hangover had finally subsided and the band inside her head had finished their encore and hit the road but she still only remembered tiny bits of the previous evening’s events.

Geoff nodded, his lips forming a small smirk as though the memory pleased him.

“For warning me to not to hurt Nicole again” he explained.

“Oh god” she sighed before shrugging.

“One more thing to add to the list of things I need to apologise to him for I guess”

“Why what else did you do?” Annie asked intrigued.

“Don’t ask!” Belle groaned as she remembered the sweet taste of Aden’s soft lips against her own. It had been wrong she knew that but it had felt so right and she knew if he hadn’t stopped her she

would have let it go a lot further.

“Speaking of apologies when do I get mine?” Geoff enquired.

“Why? What did I do to you?” she asked hesitantly dreading his response.

“Tricking me and Nicole like that!” he exclaimed.

“Geoff, you will be waiting a long time if you want me to apologise for that! Ok so it was sneaky but sometimes you just have to play Nicole at her own game. And you’re back together aren’t you?”

“Well, yes...”

“And that’s what you wanted right?” she looked at him knowingly.

“Yes bu-“

“No buts Geoff! I’m not apologising for creating something you wanted to happen! If anything you should be thanking me! Or maybe not. Is she making you grovel?”

“Actually” Geoff smiled looking extremely pleased with himself.

“I’m making her grovel”

“Geoff!” Belle exclaimed grinning at him.

“I’m impressed. You’re learning!”

“Geoff! Why aren’t you wearing the tie I gave you?” Nicole barged in and marched straight up to him, not seeming to notice anyone else in the room.

“Because it’s pink!”

“So is my dress, that was the idea! We don’t match it you wear green! In fact you match Annie better than me!” she exclaimed glancing at Annie dress.

“Do you want people to think you brought your sister to the ball?!”

“No” he sighed beginning to loosen the knot and undo his tie.

“So much for sticking up for yourself” Belle sniped as Nicole finally seemed to realise she was there. The blonde paused and flicked her gaze up and down Belle’s body, absorbing every detail of her

appearance. Her face remained void of expression as she grabbed Belle’s arm and twirled her around so she could see the back view.

“Nicole!” Belle protested trying to pull away.

Nicole let go and Belle whirled back around to face her. She still said nothing, her face refusing to betray her feelings as she finally looked away and stepped closer to Geoff who was tying his pink tie.

“Remind me not to stand next to her tonight” she ordered him.

“She almost looks as good as I do”

Belle took the opportunity to examine Nicole’s dress and was grateful not to have been given the baby pink creation. It looked fantastic on Nicole but definitely was not to her taste.

“Right are we ready to go?” Irene looked at the 4 teens questioningly.

“Not quite” Nicole replied.

“What’s wrong with my outfit now?!” Geoff moaned.

“Nothing. You look hot” she grinned cheekily at him, patting down the lapel of his grey suit jacket.

“But Belle and I need to have words”

“We do?”

“Oh yes we do!” Nicole replied yanking Belle into her bedroom.

“We had a deal!” she exclaimed as soon as the door fell shut behind them.

“We agreed that if I listened to Geoff you’d speak to Aden”

“I know I remember” Belle pretended not to get what Nicole was annoyed about.

“I was the only one who kept my side of the deal! I listened to Geoff. I even grovelled in an attempt to make up for believing he’d suddenly changed his entire moral code. But you didn’t speak to Aden”

“Yes I did. I spoke to him last night and this morning actually” she protested.

“What about? The weather? World politics? Because it certainly wasn’t about how you feel or right now Aden wouldn’t be on his way to pick up Gracie for the ball!”

“How do you know that?”

“What?”

“How do you know that anything I could say to Aden would make any difference? How do you know he doesn’t want Gracie? He’s with her now isn’t he?”

“Because he thinks you don’t want him!” Nicole cried exasperatedly.

“Nicole, you don’t know that. I could declare undying love and he could still choose her”

“He wouldn’t. I know he wouldn’t” Nicole stood her ground.

“It’s not your place to say. Aden wouldn’t be dating Gracie if he didn’t want to. I left him Nicole. I don’t have any right to waltz back into his life and expect him just to drop everything and everyone for me”

“But you want him to right?”

“It doesn’t matter what I want but no that’s not what I want”

“But I thought you loved him?” Nicole looked at her, a flash of shock and disappointment apparent on her face for the briefest of moments.

Belle hesitated before deciding that there was no point in denying how she felt.

“I do. I do love him and that’s why I’m not going to tell him”

“I don’t understand Belle. You’re not making any sense. Why would you not tell him? Do you want to be miserable?”

“I’m not miserable” she laughed.

“I was away for a long time and whilst I was I realised that I don’t need to be with someone else to be happy. I can be happy just being me”

“But you’d be happier with Aden right?” Nicole looked at her accusingly, one eyebrow arched higher than the other.

“Maybe. I don’t know. We never really got a chance to be happy before without at least one of us going through some sort of drama. But I’m happy and from what I’ve seen so is Aden. He’s finally got

his life together. He’s at uni, he’s got a family with you and Roman, he’s worked through the things that were destroying him before. And he’s got Gracie”

She paused and bit her lip as she mentioned her name and thought of him taking her to the ball. As content as she was a shot of pain still surged through her.

“But she’s not wh-“

“Nicole! Please just accept that I’m not going to tell him. And any big scheme you’ve got to try and get us back together just stop it ok?”

“I want him to be happy too you know?” the blonde replied.

“And, as hard as it is for me to admit, I know the only way that’s ever really going to happen is if he’s with you”

“Just let him decide for himself. He’s his own person, he’s got a mind of his own.”

“But how can he choose if he doesn’t know what he’s choosing between? Right now he doesn’t even think you’re an option!” Nicole was growing frustrated and rubbed her temple dramatically.

“And that’s how it’s going to stay. Nicole, I don’t want him to choose between me and her. If we ever got back together I wouldn’t want it to be because he thinks I’m a better option than Gracie. He

either wants to be with her or he doesn’t regardless of where I am or what I’m doing. And right now he obviously wants to be with her and I have to respect that. We both have to respect that. So

just leave him alone, let him live his own life without you trying to control it”

“Bu-“

“Nicole! Will you just stop arguing with me please?!” she sighed growing increasingly annoyed.

“I know you care about him. I’m glad he has that. But if you dare tell him what I’ve told you today then I swear...” she trailed off allowing Nicole to imagine what she would do to her, knowing this would

be a lot worse than anything she could directly say.

“How did you know I was thinking of doing that?”

“I know you better than you think” Belle laughed, the tension between the two females easing just a little.

“Look Nicole if he doesn’t want to be with Gracie then that’s up to him. But if that is the case then let him realise it for himself. I’m not going to throw myself into the mix and cause him any more hurt

than I already have”

“Belle, you’re already in the mix. Like it or not. He loves you I know he does”

“When I was Angelo, I never really wanted him but Aden telling me he wanted me, loved me and kissing me just made it worse. I would have always decided to end things with Angelo but if Aden had just let me do it in my own time rather than make it so obvious that he wanted me too then it wouldn’t have been so difficult and it wouldn’t have hurt me as much. And Angelo wouldn’t have been humiliated either”

She paused suddenly realising how bad what she was saying sounded. Like she was some sort of angel.

“I’m not blaming Aden, don’t get me wrong I couldn’t keep away from him when I should have done either but now I can. I’m not going to cause him unnecessary pain Nicole and Gracie definitely doesn’t deserve me trying to steal him from her! Whatever he wants, whether that’s her, me or neither or us he has to be allowed to work that out for himself”

“Belle! Nicole! Come on!” Geoff’s voice bellowed through the door.

“Just remember what I said when he’s marrying Gracie or whoever else he decides to rebound with because he thinks you’ve moved on”

“Nicole?” Belle asked as they exited her room.

“What?”

“Just shut up”

Chapter 23

“Hi” his familiar voice called out over the music as he came up behind her. She twisted her body to face him, as she continued to twirl the mini pink umbrella in the mocktail she was clutching.

“I heard you were back. How are you?”

“I’m good thanks, it’s good to be...home” she smiled genuinely up at him.

“But are you sure you should be talking to me?”

“Why shouldn’t I?” he looked at her confused.

“Well, Leah might not like it” she replied, scanning the busy room for her friend, half expecting to find her shooting dirty looks at her. Instead she was deep in conversation with Rachel and paying them

no attention at all.

“Belle, Leah and I are both adults. I can talk to whomever I like, she trusts me. And anyway you used to talk to your ex all the time when we were together”

“And that worked out so well!” she told him sarcastically, laughing as she did so.

“I guess you have a point there” he laughed with her.

“Well, as long as you’re not planning on taking me hostage any time soon I think we’ll be ok” she smiled ironically before taking a gulp of the fruity liquid filling her glass.

“Nah not going to happen” he told her.

“I am so over you Belle Taylor, I can barely remember ever being under you”

“Angelo!” she exclaimed, unable to stop herself from laughing.

She struggled to keep her mouthful of liquid in and began to cough and splutter violently. He laughed at her as she did so and made no attempt to help. Eventually she managed to swallow the remaining

liquid and her coughing fit subsided.

“I can’t believe you said that! You’ve changed” she looked at him accusingly but couldn’t prevent her lips from forming a wide smile across her face.

“It’s Leah, she’s a bad influence. They always say you have to watch out for the quiet ones”

“Yeah right whatever!” she shook her head in mock annoyance.

“Anyway” he turned the mood more serious as his laughing instantly subsided.

“I was thinking we should do something next week”

“Angelo, as calm and collected as Leah may pretend to be about you talking to me I know she wouldn’t like that”

“It was her idea actually”

“If you even try and suggest that Leah’s up for a ménage a trios you will be wearing my drink in a matter of seconds!”

“As if!” he laughed.

“Although, if I could persuade her would you be up for it?” he winked at her cheekily.

“Angelo!” she walloped him playfully on the arm.

“Seriously though Belle, our baby was due to be born next week and Leah suggested we should do something to mark that. I think we should”

“What exactly were you thinking of?” she questioned, suddenly solemn.

“I don’t know, whatever you feel comfortable with. Martha and Roman planted a tree for Lindsay we could do something similar? Or something completely different. It’s up to you”

“I’ll think about but...”

“But what?” he asked gently.

“I’m not sure we should do it together. I don’t know if that would make me feel kind of hypocritical” she placed a hand gently on his forearm which rested on the bar next to them.

“I don’t mean to be harsh Angelo, I know the baby was yours too but when I was pregnant, even when I was with you I felt really alone. Because we were never really meant to be together and chances are that if our baby had lived he or she would have ended up spending alternate birthdays with each of us or half the day with one and half with the other. We wouldn’t have been together, we wouldn’t have been a family and I’m not going to pretend that we would have been just because our baby didn’t make it”

“Belle, I’d like to think that if our baby had lived, even if we’d broken up, that we would have been able to put aside our differences for long enough to at least give our child some sort of family life. I would even have put up with Aden or whoever you ended up with if it meant I could have been at the birthday parties and all the other important events. Belle I’m not saying we have to pretend that things would have worked between us but for one day can’t we grieve together? We both lost our child”

“I know” she bit her lip nervously.

“I’ll think about it ok?”

“Ok” he nodded accepting that was the best he was going to get from her right then.

“Now go and dance with your girlfriend!” she ordered, pushing him away and he dutifully obeyed.

She took another gulp of her drink and leant back against the bar as she surveyed the scene around her. The room bustled with hoards of people having a good time, couples kissing, dancing, embracing. Friends, laughing and joking. Alone and detached from the scene she felt strangely comforted. She was home and even stood by herself she felt content and warm inside. She didn’t need to be here with a date or surrounded by lots of people to know that her true family and friends were there in the Bay, there in that room and she’d been right to come back.

“Belle? Do you want to dance?” Geoff questioned, snapping her away from her thoughts.

She shook her head and smiled at him.

“It’s ok, I’m fine”

“One dance isn’t going to kill you Belle. You can’t stand on the sidelines all night, especially not looking like that!”

“Seriously, I’m fine”

“I’m not taking no for an answer” he held out his arm but she refused to take it.

“Nicole won’t like it” she protested.

“Nicole doesn’t like anything!” He laughed.

“And anyway, she’d grovelling remember?”

“Well...” she paused before reaching out to take his arm and letting him lead her onto the packed dance floor.

“You know me, anything to annoy Nicole!”

They laughed together as they started dancing to the slow number. Belle was pleasantly surprised by Geoff’s dancing ability.

“You’re leading!” she exclaimed in shock as they moved together with ease.

“That’s what the guy does Belle” he replied slightly confused.

“I know that” she smiled back at him cheekily.

“I just didn’t think anyone dating Nicole would get an opportunity to learn how!”

“Very funny. She’s not that bad”

“Of course not” she shook her head still giggling.

“She just likes to be in charge right?” she arched an eyebrow as she spoke.

“Right” he nodded.

“And speaking of her being in charge, please don’t hate me!”

Before Belle had the opportunity to become confused by Geoff’s words Aden and Nicole glided into her line of vision and she realised the younger female was forcing her ex towards her and Geoff.

“You tricked me!” she hissed just as Nicole stopped next to them and dropped her hand from Aden’s.

“Can I cut in?” she smiled saccharinely.

“I’d like my boyfriend back”

“Tough” Belle replied stubbornly, closing the gap between her and Geoff and draping her arms around his neck.

“Belle!” he protested, his cheeks flushing bright red.

“Forget sleeping with Melody, he’s moved onto me now” she told Nicole sarcastically.

“Funny!” the blonde snapped, barging between Belle and Geoff and wrapping her own arms tightly around him.

“Nicole, didn’t you listen to a word I said to you earlier?” Belle asked her frustrated and annoyed as she glanced at Aden and realised he was just as uncomfortable with Nicole’s scheming as she was.

“I listened” Nicole nodded.

“But you and I are more alike than I thought. And I don’t like being told what to do either!”

Without another word she took charge of Geoff and directed them across the dance floor. Belle stared after them, suddenly without a partner in the middle of the crowded floor.

“Subtle huh?” Aden asked and Belle finally remembered he was there, her annoyance at Nicole having temporarily blinded her to anything else.

“Well I’ll definitely need to see a copy of her birth certificate before I believe it’s her middle name put it that way!” she fumed before turning to leave the floor.

“Belle, wait!” he gently grabbed hold of her wrist, preventing her from walking any further away.

“One dance won’t hurt, right?”

“Shouldn’t you be dancing with Gracie?” she asked, turning to face him.

“She’s not much of a dancer” he told her, as he slipped one hand to her lower back and entwined the other with hers.

“Neither are you” she half whispered as they began to move together in time to the music.

“What exactly are you saying about my dancing ability?” he pretended to be offended before rapidly twirling her around and dipping her body backwards to demonstrate that he could dance.

“Aden!” she exclaimed, laughing as he yanked her upright so quickly that they almost bumped heads. Their faces were so close she could feel his warm breath tickle her lips as he laughed with her.

“I didn’t mean you couldn’t dance, I just remember you saying you hated things like this because you didn’t dance”

“Maybe it depends who I’m dancing with” he whispered the words into her hair as he dropped their raised left hands and allowed his to join his other hand on her lower back. He pulled her closer and hesitantly she placed her arms around his neck. Her stomach plunged as she realised he was at the ball because he was with Gracie, yet when he’d been with her he’d said hated events like this one.

“How’s the head?” he asked smiling.

“Fine” she replied defensively as if she hadn’t been hungover that morning.

“Just go easy tonight hey?” he nudged her playfully.

“I don’t want to have to carry you out of here as well!”

“I’m not drinking tonight”

“So your head does hurt?” he laughed.

“No, it’s just apparently I’m not a very attractive drunk”

“I never said Nicole wasn’t attractive” he laughed against her ear.

“You look amazing” he smiled as he pulled back and gazed into her eyes through his long eyelashes.

“Thanks but Nicole made the dress, so the credit’s all hers” she tried to shrug off his compliment and slow her heart beat down to a normal pace.

“Nicole may have made it but you wear it...” he paused and lowered his gaze slowly down her body and back up again his eyes lingering over certain points more than others. Her heart ached as he

absorbed every detail of her appearance. As much as his opinion shouldn’t matter to her, it did.

And his baby blue eyes wandering over her burned her like the sun.

Really well” his lips whispered so close to hers she could feel them form each syllable as his eyes finally met hers once more.

“Thank you” she blushed and lowered her head slightly, certain her heart could not take the intensity of his stare any longer. A coronary malfunction wasn’t high on her wish list in that moment.

“No” he shook his head gently against hers.

“Thank you Nicole” his plump lips formed a tiny smile against her cheek and she had an inkling he wasn’t just thanking Nicole for the dress as they moved together slowly.

She rested her head on his shoulder, keeping her eyes wide open and constantly reminding herself that he was here with a date and she shouldn’t be enjoying this.

As he held her so close their bodies almost moulded together however, her resolve slowly began to dissolve. She allowed her eyes to flutter shut as the rhythm of his heart beating just above her own calmed her and lulled her into a sense of warmth and security she wasn’t sure were false.

She wrapped her arms tighter around his neck and tried to close the tiniest of imaginary gaps that didn’t exist between their bodies. As she did so she realised that perhaps it was a mental gap rather than a physical one but in that instance she didn’t have the energy to care. All the mattered was being so close to him that she could actually be a part of him.

She let out a gentle sigh and was sure she felt his lips respond by gently brushing against her hair but admitted subconsciously that she could just want his affection so much that she had imagined it in her present haze.

It didn’t occur to her to care that they were in a ballroom surrounded by crowds of people, including Gracie, because in that moment there was only the two of them. No one else existed. No one else mattered.

She wished it could stay that way forever.

But all too soon the music ended and a fast tempoed number replaced it.

They remained still, their bodies entwined for slightly longer than necessary as the dancers around them began to move at an appropriate pace for the new track.

Not wanting to let go but knowing she had to, Belle loosened her arms and slowly pulled away.

“You should get back to Gracie” she told him, the awkward tension filling the gap between them once more.

“Yeah I guess I’ve neglected her long enough” he replied quietly as she began to weave her way through the throngs of people surrounding them.

“Belle?” he called after her hesitantly but she was already too far away to hear him.

“Belle? Are you ok?” Martha asked as Belle quickly tried to wipe away her tears as though it would erase them from Martha’s memory.

“I’m fine” she sniffled.

“I’m just being stupid” she told her as Martha perched on the fence next to her and they gazed out over the beach, calm and tranquil under the moon’s soft glow.

“Is it Aden?” the older female asked cautiously.

“Am I that obvious?” Belle laughed still sniffling as she wiped away another tear.

“No” Martha shook her head reassuringly.

“But we’ve got a lot in common you and me”

“Oh yet another thing where you know more that I do?” Belle snapped.

“Sorry! That was so bitchy of me! God I really am turning into Nicole”

“It’s ok” Martha actually laughed.

“You’re upset and I guess I can be a little self righteous sometimes”

“A little?” Belle laughed.

“Oiy!” Martha pretended to be offended.

“I know what it’s like. When I had to watch Jack and Sam together it really hurt”

“Did you ever think about telling him how you felt?”

“I got all the way to the church the day they got married but I was too late” Martha confessed.

“So if you’d been in time would you have told him?”

“I don’t know. Probably” she admitted.

“I’m trying not to tell him. When I left that was the most selfish thing I’d ever done but it worked for me, it was the right thing to do. But now I feel like putting my feelings to one side and letting him

work things out himself is the right thing”

“You can only do what you think is right Belle”

“I know but it’s not easy. As content as I am it still really hurts and it doesn’t make it any easier that Nicole keeps interfering no matter how much I tell her not to!”

“You can’t control Nicole, I don’t think anyone can!” Martha laughed and Belle couldn’t help but join her.

“Maybe you should just let her be. Whatever she does or says or doesn’t do or say it’s not down to you and if she did tell Aden anything then it still wouldn’t have come from you and he’ll still have to figure it out for himself”

“I guess” Belle mumbled as her tears finally ran dry and the two females began to head back inside

“But I still think throttling her is the better option”

Chapter 24

She tossed and turned in bed trying to find a comfortable position but knowing it was impossible. She would never be satisfied with anything less than the comfort she had felt wrapped in his arms that evening and she was never going to find that alone in her room with only herself for company. She played those few minutes when he had held her close over and over in her head trying desperately to recapture the happiness and protection he had cloaked her in but nothing worked. Sighing to herself she pulled the light summer quilt further around her yearning body and forced her eyes tightly shut.

Sleep still evaded her as she lay as motionless as possible on the bed. Silently she begged her body to sleep and at least let her dream that he was holding her but instead all that greeted her was a loud bang as someone tried to force open her bedroom window.

She froze.

She quickly contemplated what to do. She could pretend to be asleep and hope they wouldn’t hurt her or she could arm herself with the lamp on her bedside table and clobber the intruder as soon as they entered.

Belle!” A frustrated voice whispered as she reached out to grab the lamp.

Recognising the voice instantly she aimed her hand higher and switched on the lamp rather than taking hold of it. She pulled herself out of bed and arranged the strappy t-shirt and short combination she

was wearing in lieu of pyjamas, to ensure she was decent before she unlocked the window latch and pulled it open, allowing him to climb through.

“Since when did you start locking your window?” he questioned her, a hint of annoyance apparent in his voice. He was still in his navy blue suit, although the top buttons of his shirt were open and he had discarded his tie earlier in the evening.

“Since I started dating guys who know how to use a door”

“You’re dating?” he looked wounded as he asked.

“Yeah” she nodded.

“And he’s bigger than you and really strong, so I’d leave now if you value your pretty face”

He flopped down onto her bed and rested his back against the headboard, making himself at home in her room.

He smirked playfully at her.

“It’s your face” she shrugged unable to stop herself smirking too.

His gaze fell upon her bedside table.

“You are dating again” he sighed before his expression changed to one of concern.

“Belle, have you spoken to someone about this. A doctor? Rachel? You need to get checked out, what if it’s the same as last time?”

“What are you talking about?” she asked but as she did so her gaze fell to where his had been minutes previously and she instantly understood.

“Aden, it is the same as last time, literally the same as last time. That’s one of the pregnancy tests you bought for me, it’s the only one I kept after all 5 came up positive”

“You kept it all this time?”

“Yes I did. I know it probably seems weird...and kind of disgusting given what I had to do on that stick to get the pink line to appear” she paused and giggled as Aden instantly recoiled the hand he had reached out to examine the pregnancy test.

“But I never had a scan, I never had a bump, I never felt my baby move. That stick and the pink line in the window is the only thing I have to remind me that my baby even existed. Well that and the

scar from the surgery but I’d already lost my baby then, when I took that test my baby was...”

She paused and looked away not knowing how to handle the gush of emotion rushing through her.

“Sorry, I’m an idiot. I didn’t mean to upset you. It’s just, god I couldn’t bear to watch you going through all that again and when I saw that test...”

“It’s ok. I know it must have really hard for you finding me like that and then when they said I was going to die...”

She shuddered at the thought of how close she’d come to death.

“So...” she glanced at the clock adorning her wall.

“ It’s 2am, what exactly did you want?” she changed the subject and looked at him inquisitively.

“I don’t know” he shrugged, looking up at her.

“So you woke me up in the middle of the night for you don’t know what reason?” she feigned annoyance determined not to tell him that she had been further away from sleep than ever.

“Sorry...I just came here automatically. This room, it’s kind of like magnetic north”

“If you like it that much we could always arrange a swap. You can live here and I’ll move into Roman’s?”

“You’d really put up with Nicole just so I could have this room?” he smiled.

“Ah. Good point. No way. Consider that offer withdrawn” she laughed as if she’d ever been serious.

“We could always share. I always wanted a roommate” he grinned suggestively.

“Nice try” she chuckled.

“But you snore” she told him as if that was the only reason such an arrangement was off the agenda.

“I do not!” he protested.

“Yes you do!”

“Well at least I don’t talk in my sleep like you do!”

“No I don’t!” she protested but inwardly wondered if what he was saying was true. She dreaded to think what she may have said the night before when he’d sat watching her sleep.

“Oh yes you do” he grinned.

Aden, oh Aden, yes!” he moaned in a high pitched imitation of her voice and instantly she knew she hadn’t said a word. She knew she had no right to be angry given he didn’t snore either but

regardless she picked up a hardback book from her desk and hurtled it across the room at him, only just missing his head.

“You’re so sexy when you’re angry” he mocked.

“Shut up!” she stuck her tongue out at him.

“You’re just going to have to find a new room to be drawn to because you’re not welcome in this one anymore”

“I came and sat in here once” he confessed suddenly sombre.

“Just after you left. I don’t really know why. I guess it just helped me feel closer to you when in reality you were further away than ever. And I don’t mean physically, because there have been times

you’ve been sat next to me and I knew emotionally you’re weren’t really there”

“You just sat in here?”

“I know it’s weird. Which is why I only did it the once. I didn’t think Irene would really appreciate it”

“She would probably have joined you” Belle laughed.

“She does seem to have developed a soft spot for you”

“The state I was in I don’t think I would have even joined myself given the choice”

“Aden” she sighed guiltily.

“I didn’t mean to hu-“

“Belle!” he interrupted her, leaning forward towards where she stood at the end of the bed.

“I didn’t tell you that to make you feel guilty. I told you, I don’t blame you. You did what you needed to do to get through what happened to you. You should never have to be sorry for that”

“I’m not sorry for what I did, for leaving. But I am sorry that I had to hurt you to do it”

“Ah, don’t worry you’re easy to get over!” he smiled trying to lighten the mood.

“Aden, don’t lie. I know you’ll never manage it” she grinned playfully.

“I forgot to thank you earlier” she continued realising that amid their tension filled contact earlier that night she had forgotten to say what she needed to do.

“What for?”

“Well a few things. Firstly for walking me home last night, you didn’t have to do that”

“No and it wasn’t easy believe me!” he interrupted chuckling.

“You forgot where you actually live more than once on that journey! Chasing you all over the Bay was exhausting”

“Secondly!” she continued, ignoring his teasing.

“Secondly for staying all night to make sure I was ok, definitely beyond the call of duty. Especially when I’d apparently just slapped you too”

“You don’t remember that do you?” he laughed.

“No” she cringed in embarrassment, “Geoff filled in that gap”

“I remember, it hurt. In fact it still does, I think you should kiss it better” he grinned pointing expectantly to his cheek.

“Get lost!” she laughed, slapping him playfully.

“And thirdly” she continued perching down on the edge of the bed and taking a deep breath preparing herself to blurt out the most embarrassing item on her list.

“Thirdly? Belle this is getting to be an awful long list”

“What can I say I should come with a warning. Warning: Idiotic when drunk”

“I think most people are” he tried to reassure her.

“Well anyway, thirdly and finally I’m sure you’ll be glad to hear seen as I’m apparently boring you I-“

“You could never bore me”

“Stop interrupting! God have you been taking lessons from Nicole?” she snapped and looked at him with disdain.

“Thirdly”

“Zzzzzzzzzz” he flopped his head back against the fluffy pillows and pretended to have fallen asleep from boredom.

“Aden!” she giggled poking him the side.

“That’s it get out!” she ordered when he continued to pretend to snore.

“Ok! I’m being serious” he sat up trying to wipe the smile of his face but not succeeding.

“Come on, number 3”

She looked at him suspiciously trying to decide whether he would actually let her speak or whether he was trying to trap her. She decided to trust him and took a deep breath again.

“Thirdly, thank you for turning me down when I... you know”

“No I don’t know” he grinned cheekily.

“Yes you do”

“No I don’t!” he shook his head defiantly.

“Are you really going to make me say it?”

“Say what?” he laughed as she slapped him again.

“Ok! Fine I’ll say it! When I threw myself at you” she winced.

“ I was drunk, you were right to stop me but a lot of guys wouldn’t have so thank you”

“It was very difficult” he confessed quietly, gazing at her intently. She shifted uncomfortably, her heart thumping rapidly as she looked away trying to escape the obvious spark between them.

“I ended things with Gracie” he suddenly confessed.

Her eyes widened in shock.

“When I took her home, I told her that I didn’t think we should see each other anymore”

“That’s a shame, she seemed really nice” she tried to appear indifferent.

“She is really nice but we weren’t serious and I didn’t want it ever to be. It wasn’t fair to her to carry on seeing her knowing that”

“Was she upset?” Belle asked suddenly consumed with guilt despite having kept to her promise and not saying a word to him about her feeling.

“Apparently I’m not that great” he laughed.

“She was fine about it. She said she expected it because...”

“Because what?” her stomach fluttered as she looked up to him and he pursed his lips together nervously.

“Because I’m in love with someone else”

She couldn’t look at him, her heart was beating faster than she thought humanely possible and she felt the room begin to spin a little.

“And who would that be?” she tried to appear nonchalant despite the sudden flurry of butterflies in her tummy.

“Just some girl I’ve known a while” he shrugged, still staring at her.

“Some girl? Flattering. You’re obviously really in love with her. Be sure to invite me to the wedding” she mocked.

“Oh sorry, I would but you know it’ll be just close friends and family” he smirked and she felt a big knot of emotion twist itself around inside of her.

“Oh, of course” she tried not to smile but the edges of lips defeated her, curving into a tiny smile.

“So this girl, does she know you’re planning her wedding?”

“You were the one who mentioned weddings not me”

“Right, so you’re just stringing her along?” she teased, twisting her hair around her hand as she did so.

“Yeah, I’m sure I’ll get over her in like...oh I don’t know” he looked down at the silver watch resting against his wrist.

“Ten minutes?”

“That long? Wow! Now that’s commitment” If only I could find someone that devoted to me” she pretended to swoon.

“I’m sure your day will come” he bit his lip in anticipation as his tone suddenly became more serious and he tilted his body closer towards her.

“Hmmm” she nodded, gulping as he decreased the distance between them.

“I’m sure that glass slipper I left at the ball will work wonders”

“Damn, I knew I should have picked that up!” he grinned as she looked away, unable to pretend anymore.

“Belle” he whispered her name so quietly she barely heard.

“This girl” she whispered back, still not daring to look at him or refer to herself in the first person.

“Maybe you should tell her how you feel...you know given you’re planning on marrying her and everything”

“I don’t think I can” he confessed, his expression dissolving into one of pain and uncertainty, as he slid his body slightly away from her.

“Don’t tell me you’re chicken?” she grinned to herself.

“Totally” he nodded.

“You’re scared?”

“Yeah”

“But why?” she asked flabbergasted.

“Because no matter how much I love her, I don’t think it’s ever been enough”

“Ok can you drop the third person now?” she suddenly rotated her head to look him straight in the eye.

“Can we just call me, me please?”

“But Belle...god I thought you knew I was talking about Nicole?”

She could have sworn her heart actually stopped beating in the brief moment before he let out a chuckle.

“You pig!” she shouted hitting him forcefully in the chest. He grabbed her hand as she did so and cradle it between his palms.

“Ok no more third person. Belle, I feel like I don’t have anything to offer you. I went through so much when we were together and you were there for me through it all. I held you hostage and you were

still there afterwards when anyone else would have ran for the hills”

“I considered it” she tried to shrug off the implications of his words, as though it was no big deal.

“But you didn’t. When I needed you, you were really there. You were always there. And then when you needed me. When it was my turn to be there for you, you left. I loved you so much and it

wasn’t enough”

“Aden it wa-“ she tried to interject but gently he placed a finger over her lips to silence her.

“I know I’m being really selfish, turning up her in the middle of the night and telling you this. There were times when you were away when I wanted to call you or to turn up on Amanda’s doorstep but I

knew I had to let you go and when you came back I swore that I wouldn’t do this but Belle,”

He paused and gently took her other hand in his, leaning towards her once more.

“When we were dancing tonight I was holding you so close that I wasn’t sure where I ended and you began but I have never felt further away from you then I did then and that killed me. I want you to

be happy and I can see how much being away from here, from me helped you find that. I don’t want to be selfish, I know I should just let you get on with things, that whatever I feel isn’t enough but I-“

Suddenly a high pitched scream filled the house. Instantly they jumped apart in shock and Belle ran into the lounge to see what was going on, Aden close behind her.

“Nicole, it can’t be that bad!” Geoff hissed.

“It is!” she whimpered, as she hopped towards a chair.

“I think I’ve broken it!” she cried clutching her ankle.

“I’m sure it’s just a sprain love” Irene told her as she reached the bottom of the stairs, wrapped in her dressing gown. Nicole clearly having woken her.

Aden knelt next to Nicole and carefully took her ankle in his hands. She yelped in pain.

“As much as it pains me to admit it, I think she’s right. It’s broken” he told them.

“See!” Nicole declared almost forgetting her pain for the sweet taste of victory.

It was only then she realised just who was holding her ankle. She glanced from Aden to Belle and back again before turning to Belle triumphantly.

“I knew it!”

“Shut up!” Belle and Aden both ordered in unison.

“I think we should get you to the hospital” Aden told Nicole helping her up and draping and her arm around his shoulder. Geoff supported her from the other side.

“I’ll come with you”

“No, it’s ok you get some sleep. Geoff and I can handle it” he told her and she watched them leave, disappointing flooding through her as they did so. The irony that it was Nicole who had broken up their

rendezvous when she’d tried so hard to create it in the first place wasn’t lost on her.

She turned towards Irene to find her smiling at her knowingly.

“What?!” she snapped suddenly defensive.

“I’m not saying anything...well actually I just have to point out one thing. You’ve been back less than 48 hours. 2 nights you’ve spent here and at some point during both of them Aden has somehow ended up in your bedroom, what does that tell you girly?”

“That he likes my taste in interior decor?”

“Love, I hate to break it to you” Irene laughed.

“But I don’t think its your wallpaper and soft furnishings he’s after”

Chapter 25

"Personal affection is a luxury you can only have after all your enemies are eliminated. Until then, everyone you love is a hostage" - Orson Scott Card

He answered on the second ring, as soon as he saw her name flash up on the illuminated display. She hadn’t anticipated this quick response and gulped in slight shock as he spoke her name, his raised

intonation making it more of a question that a statement.

“Belle”

“Hey” she whispered into her mobile, jumping slightly as the front door slammed.

“How’s Nicole?” she asked more out of obligation than concern.

“Complaining. Loudly. So she must be better than she’s letting on” he let out a low chuckle.

“The break isn’t too bad but she still has to wear a cast for a few weeks”

“She is going to drive you insane you do realise that don’t you?”

“Tell me about it” he laughed quietly.

“I left her and Roman at the hospital waiting for the cast to be put on. I figured this might be the last chance of some peace I get until the damn thing comes off”

“How did she do it anyway?” she questioned, fidgeting around on the bed.

“Fighting with Melody. Hair pulling and scratching mainly Geoff said. But then Melody pushed her over and she fell on her ankle. When those two will learn that Geoff is not worth the broken bones I don’t

know”

“Hey!” she scolded.

“Be nice! Geoff is as much a part of my family as Nicole is yours”

“Sorry I know that” he apologised sincerely.

“So, it’s 5am and I know you didn’t call me because concern for Nicole was keeping you awake”

“No” she shook her head even though he couldn’t see her.

“We didn’t get to finish our conversation earlier”

“That’s probably for the best” he muttered quietly.

“I shouldn’t have said what I did”

“But you did say it and now I want my turn” she replied adamantly.

“Belle I don’t think that’s a good idea”

“Well that’s too bad”

“Oh really?” his lips curved into an uneven smile as she refused to let him push her away.

“Yep” she paused not sure how he was going to take her coming words.

“Given that I’m in your bedroom”

Abrupt and sudden the call was over. A rhythmic thumping briefly met her ears as he bounded up the stairs, ceasing only when he flung the door open.

“Hey” she smiled feebly from her position on the bed, her knees tucked tight into her chest with her arms firmly enveloping them.

“What are you doing here?” he almost accused, causing her to wonder whether this had been such a good idea.

“What so you can sneak into my room anytime you want but I’m not welcome in yours?”

He didn’t respond but slowly crossed the room instead and rested his hand on the cold ledge of the open window.

“Please tell me you didn’t climb through this!”

Fear and concern fought for pride of place in his confused expression. He stuck his head out of the window and scanned the surrounding area trying to work out just how she’d managed it.

The only conceivable way he could see was the colossal tree which grew a few yards away from the house. He shuddered and a hint of nausea hit as the image of her climbing it, with no one around or

even knowing where she was, popped into his brain.

She threw her head back and giggled.

“Relax! I just opened that to freak you out. And it worked!” she beamed victoriously.

“I wasn’t freaked out!” he objected, bringing his head back into the warmth of his bedroom and sliding the window shut.

“So were!”

“So wasn’t.”

“Not even just a little bit?” she smiled sweetly at him.

“No” he shook his head and refused to meet her gaze.

“Not even a teeny tiny little bit?” she arched an eyebrow suggestively.

“Maybe a tiny bit” he couldn’t help but smile at her.

“Good” she grinned back, lifting the brass key that lay beside her on his bed and waving it in his direction.

“Under the plant pot next to the door? You guys seriously need a better hiding place for your spare key”

“You’re right” he concurred, slipping his arms from his tailored jacket and slinging it over the back of a chair.

“Maybe Nicole could hide it in her bra”

“Ha. Ha. You’re such a comedian” she groaned as he began to lower himself into the chair. Quickly she reached out an arm and hooked it through his, pulling him deftly towards the bed instead.

He hesitated for a moment, his blue eyes staring down at her as she maintained her grip on his arm. Silently she ran her fingertips down his smooth forearm until she reached his hand and gently cupped his palm in between both of hers.

“Please?” she whispered so quietly he barely heard.

Without a word he sat down next to her as she contorted her body sideways to face him, his hand still in hers.

“Now” she smiled affectionately “Where were we when Nicole so rudely, but very characteristically, interrupted?”

“Aren’t you grateful she did?”

His face was stern and uncaring.

“No!” she exclaimed slightly shocked by his sudden change.

“Why would I be grateful? I mean it’s not every day a hot guy climbs through your bedroom window just to tell you that he loves you”

“You don’t have to do this Belle”

“Do what?” she asked confused.

“Let me down gently. Because believe me no matter how much you try to sugar coat it will still tear me apart. Seeing you back here and not being able to be with you, to touch you, to hold your hand...”

He paused and glimpsed at their hands still together before pulling his away in one swift movement.

“It is killing me already, after two days but that’s no excuse for me to drop all this on you. I want you to be happy and yet all I’m doing is making you feel guilty for things that are not your fault.

Whatever I feel for you isn’t enough I understand that and you deserve someone wh-“

Without warning her soft lips were pressed urgently against his, her hands slid gently up his solid chest. Without thinking she pulled her body closer to him, aching with desire. Her wandering hands reached the nape of his neck as she tenderly parted his lips with her own and grasped his stiff collar between her fingertips. A small, satisfied moan escaped from her lips, tickling those to which they were joined.

Hungrily she nipped his lower lip with her teeth before placing a tiny butterfly kiss gently on the now tender point of contact. Lowering her head she slowly traced a long line of affectionate kisses down his throat, taking her time over each one, amorous and greedy.

As her busy mouth reached the gloriously soft spot which curved between his throat and his broad shoulder she became aware that he was responding. His palms slid urgently to her lower back, pressing her body nearer to his. It still wasn’t close enough, for either of them, as he nudged her cheek with his eager lips and she tilted her head upwards allowing his lips to meet hers.

Yearning to be almost part of him she raised her body from the bed and draped a leg over his as he kissed her with passionate longing. Her need for closeness was mirrored in his eyes as he gently broke away just long enough to assist her manoeuvre.

His left hand glided away from grasping the waistband of her skirt, swiftly down the almost paper thin, cotton material before stopping to caress the smooth, bare skin of her thigh. Without breaking their heated eye contact he gently adjusted her position, wrapping her leg around his yearning figure and sliding her body towards him until she was straddling him and there was no longer any part of her body not in contact with his.

Their lips met longingly once more as her fingertips trailed through his hair.

“Belle”

Her name began as a protest on his lips but quickly dissolved into a cry of desire as she pulled back from their kiss and his eyes, pupils wide and dilated, roamed over every contour of her beautiful face. Even with her so close he was still struggling to differentiate this reality from his recent dreams.

“Aden” she whispered, pressing her lips lovingly against his. She unravelled her arms from behind his neck and dropped them to his hands on either side of her waist. She entwined their fingers and raised both of their hands to shoulder level.

“I don’t want anyone else. I love you. I love you so much”

She squeezed both his hands tenderly, goose pimples forming over both of their bodies as she did so. Greedily she stole another quick kiss before continuing, her gaze never leaving his.

“I didn’t leave because it wasn’t enough, because you weren’t enough. You were never not enough”

She grazed her fingertips across his knuckles and witnessed him shiver slightly at the tenderness of her touch.

“If anything it was too much. I felt...overwhelmed because what we felt” she stopped and corrected herself “feel for each other is so monumental that it overshadowed everything else. When I was with you all my problems seemed insignificant because you were all that mattered and that felt amazing but it stopped me dealing with things I needed to deal with and in the end I just had to distance myself before I exploded in one big mess. But not for one second did I ever stop loving you or needing you, I just had to resist for a while”

“That can’t have been easy” he winked suggestively, his lips breaking into a beaming smile.

“Well you know, I had distractions. Different guy every night” she grinned cheekily.

“You better give me their names so I can write a hit list” he joked with a slight hint of seriousness in his voice.

“Names?” she pretended to ponder.

“I didn’t bother with names. None of them were called Aden Jeffries so it didn’t matter”

“Only you could find a way to put a romantic tilt on sleeping around” he laughed, untangling his right hand from hers and brushing her ruby red lips with his fingertips.

“You love it” her lips formed his classic response against his fingertips as she moved in for another kiss.

The atmosphere quickly became heated again as they both gave in to their longing. He gently prised her lips apart with his tongue as her hands slipped leisurely down his chest before carefully undoing the buttons. She was well aware that Nicole had given him the ludicrously expensive Armani shirt for Christmas and was tempted to rip it off him but her lust at being so close to him after all this time was overpowered by a desire to be there forever.

Deftly she worked her way down to the final button and let the dress shirt fall open, exposing his toned chest. She prised her lips away from his and covered his bare skin with delicate kisses before expertly running her flat palms up his body and pushing the shirt over his shoulders.

Obligingly he unwrapped his arms from around her waist and pulled at the shirt with her until it was no longer in contact with him. She scrunched the luxurious material into a ball in her hand before his lips were on hers again and she flung it over her shoulder, not caring where it landed.

“Belle” he pulled away from her, gasping for oxygen.

“What if it happens again?”

“What?” she questioned, taking the opportunity to take in some much needed air herself as her chest rapidly rose and fell.

“What if something happens that you can’t handle and you leave again? I can’t do that again Belle”

“You won’t have to”

She cupped his chin tenderly and felt him lean his cheek against her palm.

“I’m not going anywhere”

“You can’t say that. You don’t know what will happen in the future. Nobody does”

“You’re right but I know what’s happening now and I want this more than anything. I can’t make promises about the future but I can promise that I will do everything I can to be with you. Being apart

might have helped me sort out some issues but if it means we’re not going to be together now then it just created a whole new set of issues. And being away from you won’t help with them. In fact...”

She smiled hopefully up at him

“Being with you is the only thing that will help”

“Is that right?” a small grin danced on his lips.

“A ha” she nodded.

“I’m sure my counsellor would more than approve” she laughed, leaning in for another kiss. He didn’t protest, taking whatever he could get greedily.

“Aden, you said not being with me was hurting you and I know not being with you is causing me pain. I hated the thought of you with Gracie. What’s the point in worrying about the future if it means we

suffer now? I don’t want to be here in the Bay, or anywhere else for that matter, and not be with you”

She hesitated before moving back slightly and clasping her hands together.

“But if you don’t wa-”

“Belle” he interrupted, peeling her hands apart with his own and pulling her back into their previous position.

“No Aden, listen to me. I want this but not if you’re going to get scared about the future and change your mind in 5 minutes time”

“I’m not going to change my mind” he promised his lips searching for hers again.

“No! Aden. Don’t please” she pleaded doubt flooding through her.

“Not unless you mean it”

“Belle” he smiled, his lips touching hers as he repeated the words she had spoken to him when they’d been locked up together at Larry’s.

“I always mean it”

Before she had an opportunity to respond he kissed her passionately and effortlessly flipped her body down onto the bed beneath him. He shifted his body into a comfortable position above her, resting his weight on his forearms so not to hurt her. Insatiably he kissed the nape of her neck and let his hands wander all over her body.

She moaned in satisfaction before placing her hands firmly on his chest and pushing him away, creating a tiny window of opportunity for her to raise her body and push him back down onto the soft mattress so she was above him once more.

“You always have to be in charge don’t you?” he teased as he watched her intently, his light blue eyes hazy with lust.

She left a trail of burning kisses along his exposed chest, grinning against his chin as her head finally became level with his.

“Not always” she whispered, loosening her grip just enough to allow him to roll them both over. Beneath him once more she giggled and allowed himself to give in and simply enjoy his touch.

Voraciously he lifted the thin material of her top a tiny fraction and placed hungry kisses around her belly button. Her back arched slightly in pleasure before she raised her body and lifted her arms on her own volition.

In one swift movement he grabbed the hem of the flimsy garment protecting her modesty and whipped it over her head. Within seconds it was abandoned in a fashion similar to how his shirt had been discarded earlier.

As she lowered herself slowly back down his eyes hovered all over her body, drinking in the sight before him. His gaze settled on the soft, black lace of her bra and he grinned cheekily, not looking up as he spoke.

“What, no keys? No other precious items? Are you not using your bras as storage space anymore?”

She giggled pulling him up the bed so his eyes met hers.

“You’re a man, I thought you’d be more interested in what I store in there on a daily basis”

“Oh I didn’t say I wasn’t interested in that” he smiled, kissing her once more as his touch wandered further up her body. His hands however, were soon tangled up in her hair as their kiss grew intense, impatient and hungry. As attracted as he was to particular parts of her anatomy it was the whole, beautiful body and spirit that made up Belle Taylor that truly drew him in and made his heart beat faster than Nicole could spend money on her credit card.

He broke away from her gasping for air.

“Can’t keep up?” she teased.

“Or are you just out of practice?”

“The second one” he replied defensively, still breathless, as he moved his fingers in gentle circles against her smooth, sunkissed skin.

“But the more we practice, the less of an issue that’ll be” he told her huskily, smiling suggestively as she curled a leg around him. The sound of the charm around her ankle moving along her anklet as

though it was a zip wire was barely noticeable as she did so.

“Practice sounds perfect” she replied seductively, not bothering to remember the correct cliché she was looking for. Her head was too clouded with desire to care.

“It’s been a long time” he whispered seriously, nuzzling her lips with his own.

“I know” she whispered back as a thought suddenly struck her.

“But Gracie?”

She instantly felt guilty just for asking. After all it was none of her business what he’d got up to after she’d abandoned him. He didn’t appear to care gazing into her eyes and tenderly pushing away a

loose tendril of hair from her face.

“We didn’t” he told her quietly as her heart swelled with relief.

“Is it bad that that pleases me?” she questioned herself more than Aden.

He chuckled and kissed her temple lovingly.

“If it is then that must mean it’s bad that it pleases me that it pleases you”

“What?” she giggled confused, trying to work out his sentence in her lust filled brain.

“I’m glad that you care enough not to want me to be with anyone else...it makes me all warm and fuzzy” he mocked laughing and burying his head in the nape of her neck.

“And I’m glad that you weren’t with anyone else” she whispered, running her fingers gently over the back of his head.

He pulled back to look at her adoringly.

“I only wanted you”

He kissed her affectionately on the lips, allowing his tongue to wander once more.

“And you were definitely worth the wait” he announced as they broke free of their kiss and his hands began to roam over her body again. She moaned in anticipation as he covered her aching skin with his warm hands and eager mouth.

He groaned her name, a breathy whisper against her flat tummy as his attention finally focused on the one thing about her that had changed since they were last together.

Gently he traced his fingertips along the faded, silver slither of a scar which ran along the lower part of visible skin before disappearing beneath the white skirt which flowed loosely around her waist.

As he examined the physical change in her she wondered silently if it would change his feelings towards her. As though he could read her thoughts he placed a caring kiss on the patch of skin the scar occupied and she sighed in relief. Despite this however, she couldn’t ignore the flood of memories it brought back.

His fervent hands moved south and slipped beneath the waistband of her skirt. He felt her tense and instantly pulled back as he heard her whisper her command.

“Stop”

He pulled away, moving back up the bed and taking her face gently in her hands.

“Isn’t that usually my line?” he smiled weakly at her.

“I’m sorry I can’t do this” she ignored his feeble attempt at a joke and twisted her face out of his hands and let her gaze fall on their clothing, abandoned on the floor.

He didn’t reply and as she turned back to look at him she realised he thought she meant she couldn’t do any of it, their whole relationship.

Tenderly she placed her palm flat against his cheek.

“I don’t mean us. I love us” she assured him.

“It’s just this. I can’t. Not right now anyway. The last time I did this, I ended up pregnant and we both know how that ended. I’m not ready, I’m not on the pill, I can’t have that happen to me again

Aden, I-“

“Hey! Hey!” he soothed, almost like a lullaby, as he took her hand in his and she stopped rambling.

“It’s ok. Take as long as you want, as long as you need. I love you Belle Taylor, I’m not going anywhere”

“I know, leaving is my speciality remember?” she smiled as he gently grazed his lips across her knuckles.

“I don’t know how long I’m going to need” she sighed.

“I thought I was ok but when you touched my scar I just started to panic”

“Belle, just being with you is enough. Anything else is a bonus. I’ll wait... forever and until then we can hold hands”

“Now you’re stealing my lines!” she chuckled as he gently lifted up her legs and whipped the quilt cover from under both of them before wrapping it around their half undressed bodies. He wrapped an

arm around her shoulder and attempted to pull her closer to him.

“Hey mister that’s more than hand holding!” she protested.

“Sorry” he laughed letting go and moving away.

“No!” she cried, pulling him back to her and nestling herself against him chest.

They lay, wrapped together as the sun rose outside and its gentle rays slipped in through the bedroom window.

“What are you thinking?” she broke their mutual silence, as he drew small circles with his fingertips on her hip.

“How amazing this is. How after everything, we’ve ended up here, together. This is the first time we’ve been together when it’s just us. Nothing between us. No Angelo, no unresolved childhood issues, n-“

“No baby” she whispered.

“Belle” he looked down at her lovingly, “you could have a bunch of kids and I would still want to be with you”

“Aden Jeffries” she looked back at him accusingly, “are you calling me a skank again?”

“Yep” he nodded cheekily as he pulled her even closer and kissed her forehead.

“But you’re my skank”

“Only you could get away with that!” she chuckled, slapping him playfully in the chest, before pulling him into a passionate kiss.

“I was wondering...” he began as they finally came up for air.

“And you don’t have to tell me, I probably shouldn’t even be asking. But you said the last time you...you know, you ended up pregnant. Does that mean you weren’t with Angelo after that?”

“As soon as that line turned pink for positive he wouldn’t touch me. Considering how much he treated that pregnancy book like a bible he just wouldn’t believe it when it said that it wouldn’t harm the baby. Which was a shame considering pregnancy really put me in the mood...like all the time” she giggled, blushing slightly.

“You should have said” he whispered into her ear, nipping it gently as she laughed, “that’s an itch I would have been more than willing to scratch!”

“I don’t doubt it!” she chuckled, kissing him gently.

“Happy?” he questioned as she lowered her head and snuggled closer to his chest.

“Happier than I’ve been in...well forever” she told him, pressing her lips against his bare chest.

“Damn” he cursed, confusing her.

“I might have to spoil that”

“Why?” she looked up suspiciously.

“Well I was wrong when I said there was nothing standing between us. There is something that we’re going to have to do and neither of us is going to want to do it”

“And what would that be?”

“Well...” he sighed.

“One of us is going to have to tell Nicole that she was right!”

Chapter 26

“Hey beautiful” he whispered against her shoulder before proceeding to leave a trail of tender kisses down her upper arm.

“Did we fall asleep?” she mumbled as her eyes fluttered open.

“Well we did stay up all night” he reminded her.

“What time is it?” she questioned her voice still groggy from sleep.

Without waiting for a response she lifted the arm wrapped around her waist and glanced at the silver watch on his wrist.

“11am!” she groaned before pulling her body upwards and trying to climb off the bed.

“Where do you think you’re going?” he moaned, tightly winding his arms around her slender waist and pulling her back into the warmth his chest.

“I have things to do today” she protested as he began to gently nibble her ear.

“Stop it!” she hissed but couldn’t prevent a giggle escaping.

“Nothing you have to do is more important than snuggling with me” he informed her, placing a tender kiss against the side of her throat.

She opened her mouth intending to disagree but realised that lying was pointless and replied honestly instead.

“You’re right, nothing is more important that this” she sighed, pulling his arms tighter around her and resting her head against him. He dropped his head to place a quick kiss in her hair as she tenderly

caressed the smooth skin of his forearm.

“Let go a minute” she suddenly ordered, trying to prise his hands apart.

“No way” she felt him shake his head against the top of hers, “I’m not letting you run away, not -”

“Again?” she finished his sentence for him as he abruptly broke off.

His silence spoke volumes.

“I told you, I’m not going anywhere” she reassured him, twisting her head around towards and kissing him greedily.

“Now let go”

He hesitated for a split second before removing his arms from her waist and allowing her to break free. As soon as he did so she contorted her body into a shape it should never go into and he felt her

arm reach down the bed, brushing his leg as it did so. A small sound, like the tinkling of metal met his ears as she did so.

“Damn it!” she cursed before lifting the quilt and disappearing under it.

“What are you doing?” he laughed as her the bump under the bed covers moved around.

“Come on!” he heard her mutter in frustration and he wasn’t sure whether she was addressing him or not.

“Finally!” he heard her exclaim and seconds later she reappeared, her hair tousled, as she waved a silver chain before his eyes.

“I guess I can wear it as a bracelet again now” she smiled looping it around her wrist.

“I’ve been wearing it as an anklet since I got back, I thought that would be slightly less obvious” she informed him, struggling to do up the catch as she spoke.

He moved forward and his hands replaced hers at either end of the slender bracelet. He fastened the catch with ease before slipping his index finger beneath the charm dangling from the metal, still

warm from constant contact with her skin.

He gazed at the letter “A” resting on his fingertip before lowering his head and placing a loving kiss on her wrist. She bowed her head and grazed her lips against his temple as he did so. Before she

could raise her head again he slipped out of the bed.

“Hey! You don’t get to leave either!” she objected, the bed feeling cold and empty without him beside her.

“Give me two ticks” he told her soothingly as he crossed the room and searched inside his jacket. Within seconds he was cuddled up next to her again, only this time clutching his wallet.

Her heart quickened as he flipped open the leather cover to reveal her photo still displayed proudly inside. It warmed her to think that all the time she’d been away he had still been carrying her photo

with him every day.

He delved into the pocket at the very back of the wallet, grappling for the item he was trying to locate. He pulled out an old, faded movie ticket and his gym membership card in an unsuccessful attempt to create more room for his fingers to retrieve the small item he desired. Giving in he tipped his wallet upside down and let the contents scatter onto the quilt cover.

“I know you think I’m a skank Aden but trying to pay me is going a little too far” she laughed scooping up the loose change that had fallen on top of her and placing it on his bedside table.

“And here was me thinking you needed the money” he joked cheekily, quickly retrieving a foil packet he really hoped she hadn’t seen.

She coughed obviously to let him know that she had.

“It’s been there forever I swear” he squirmed.

“It better have been!” she feigned anger but found it difficult not to smirk.

“It’s waaay past its use by date” he assured her examining the packet.

“Yep, definitely BB”

“B what?” she laughed as he lowered his lips towards hers.

“Before Belle” he grinned, chucking the unused contraceptive towards the bin and pulling her into a hungry kiss.

She responded greedily, quickly introducing her tongue to his, before snaking her arms around his neck. As they kissed he patted the bed with his flat palm until he finally located the small, metal

charm resting between them on the bed.

He gently wrapped his fingers around her wrists and removed them from around his neck. Reluctantly he broke his lips away from hers, but returned them quickly to place a small series of butterfly

kisses tenderly against her mouth.

Finally he tore his attention back to her bracelet and entwined the shiny “B” charm he was clutching with the “A” already hooked on to the silver chain so that, as before, it was difficult to see that either letter had a beginning or an end.

“That’s better” he whispered as they both looked down at the interlaced charms. She nuzzled gently into the crook of his neck.

“I love you” she murmured against his warm skin. His skin tingled as she formed the affectionate words against his body.

“I love you more” he whispered lightly into her ear. He felt her shake her head against his shoulder before she raised it to look at him.

“Not possible” she protested, taking his lips with hers before he had a chance to argue otherwise. Their kiss continued, soft and tender, until they were both struggling to breathe due to lack of air. He

manoeuvred her carefully against his chest and embraced her once more, his soft fingertips idly tracing circles against the smooth, taut skin of her stomach. She shivered slightly as his touch reached

the visible reminder of her only surgery.

“Does it really not bother you?” she muttered so quietly it was barely audible.

“Does what not bother me?” he questioned, his fingertips still caressing her scarred skin.

“The scar” she gulped.

“Why would it bother me?”

“I don’t know” he felt her shoulders shrug against him.

“It’s hardly attractive is it?”

“Belle” he whispered pulling down the cover, exposing her bare stomach and gazing at the faded scar. He ran his fingers purposefully over the exposed blemish before lowering his head to place a string

of loving kisses along it.

“If anything this just makes you even more beautiful”

“You don’t have to lie Aden”

“I’m not” he replied adamantly.

“When I look at this I don’t see a disfigurement or an imperfection all I see is a permanent reminder of how much of a fighter you are. You’re strong, determined and you never stop fighting for what

you want and believe in. All this scar does is let the world know all those things, all those reasons why I love you”

She pulled his face back up to the same level as hers and cupped his cheeks between her fingers.

“You’re right, you do love me more”

“Told you so” he laughed, nipping her bottom lip gently and causing her to groan in satisfaction.

“We really should get up” she moaned.

“Five more minutes?” he pleaded kissing her once more.

“Which will turn into an hour, then two” she laughed.

“I’m not letting you up” he told her matter of factly, tightening his grip around her.

“Oh yes you are!” she protested.

“Or I will tell Nicole that you used the word snuggle”

“You wouldn’t!” he shook his head.

“You don’t want to try me” she laughed finally managing to tear herself from his embrace and climbing out of the cosy bed. She retrieved her top from the floor as Aden rose from the bed also and threw on a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt. He stood silently, with his ear pressed to the door.

“What are you doing?”

“Just listening for movement, you wouldn’t want to bump into Nicole on the stairs would you?” he laughed at the thought.

“Perish the thought” she laughed raising herself up onto her tiptoes and placing a kiss on his soft lips.

“I can’t hear anything. She’s probably sleeping off her injury” he mocked before holding the door open for Belle.

Slowly they descended the staircase, their bodies half entwined, stopping every few seconds to hungrily snatch another kiss.

“Morning” a familiar voice greeted them as they finally reached the bottom step.

Their temples still touching they rotated their heads in unison to find Nicole smirking back at them. She was propped up against a mound of cushions on the armchair and her leg, encased in plaster,

rested on the coffee table.

“Nicole” Belle acknowledged her, groaning silently.

“How’s the ankle?”

“Not bad thanks” Nicole grinned cheekily before continuing, “How was the sex?”

“Nicole!” Roman spluttered from the kitchen.

“I’m joking!” Nicole rolled her eyes back into her head.

“Go on. Just say it. Just get it over with” Belle demanded.

“Say what?” Nicole fluttered her eyelashes innocently.

“I told you so” Aden filled in the blank for her.

“Well...” Nicole began before hesitating and biting her lower lip. Biting back whatever it was she really wanted to say.

“Whatever, I told you I’m just glad you guys have sorted things out”

“Is that it?” Aden looked at her in disbelief.

Belle turned to look at him.

“Are you sure she only hurt her ankle? Did they mention anything about brain damage?” she whispered loud enough for Nicole to still hear her.

“You two are soooo funny!” Nicole snapped as they both giggled.

“Believe it or not I only did what I did and said what I said because I care. Although I don’t know why I bother if this is all the thanks I get!”

“Belle” Roman greeted her as he entered the lounge.

“I’m making breakfast. Pancakes for the injured princess here” he rolled his eyes.

“There’s plenty to go round if you want to join us?”

She felt Aden’s arms creep around her shoulders and hug her to his broad chest.

“Stay” he pleaded, looking down at her with big doleful eyes.

“I’ve really got things to do” she protested “But thanks Roman”

Aden refused to let go and stuck out his lower lip in a slight sulk.

“If I stay every time you ask me to I’ll be here until I’m in need of a coffin”

“Fine with me” he grinned kissing her lightly.

“Eugh” Nicole groaned giving Belle an opportunity to work free of Aden’s arms and swing open the front.

“Will I see you later?” she asked, already halfway out of the door.

“Try and keep me away!” he replied pulling her back into a tender kiss.

“Oh Romeo, Romeo...parting is such sweet sorrow!” Nicole mocked dramatically.

“No brain damage there!” Belle laughed placing a final kiss on his lips and making a quick getaway before he could use his lips anymore to convince her to stay.

He slammed the door shut and flopped backwards onto the sofa.

He sighed before saying the words he knew he had to.

“Thank you”

“What was that?” Nicole pretended not to hear.

Thank you” he repeated through clenched teeth.

“Still can’t hear you, a little bit louder?”

“Shut up! Or you’ll have more than a broken ankle!” he mock threatened, throwing the only spare pillow at her.

“So scared!” she pretended to tremble with fright.

“I’m not saying you went about things the right way or that you have any right to interfere in my life or Belle’s or our relationship but dancing with her last night made me realise I had to tell her how I felt”

“I can’t take the credit for that” she admitted sheepishly.

“You did engineer the whole situation Nicole”

“No I didn’t” she shook her head.

“I know he blamed me but it was Geoff’s idea”

“Geoff?!” he exclaimed in disbelief.

“I was going on about how I wanted you guys to be together and he said that you’d been really great with Belle when she was drunk the other night and it made him realise that maybe you’re not so bad after all. He thinks you’re good for her. He came up with the dance idea”

“I am not saying thank you to Geoff”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure I can find a way to thank him for you” she grinned suggestively.

“Eugh Nic, too much information!”

“I didn’t say a word” she laughed.

“You do need to thank me for one thing though”

“And what would that be?”

“The dress, I’m sure you loved the dress. In fact I saw you checking her out in it so don’t even try to tell me you didn’t love the dress” she smirked knowingly.

“Nicole,” he grinned back at her.

“It wasn’t the dress I loved, it was the girl in it”

Chapter 27.

“Aden!” Nicole screeched as the shop door slammed shut in her face.

“Sorry!” he cringed, rushing back to open the door for her and help her hobble through on her crutches.

“Seriously, wouldn’t it be easier without the shoe?” he asked critically, staring down at the killer heel which adorned the foot not covered in plaster.

“It’s called fashion Aden, not that you would know anything about that!”

“Well it goes great with the cast. Oh wait don’t tell me I bet Chanel are designing you a more fashionable cast as we speak aren’t they?”

“Shut up!” she hit him forcefully in the shin with her crutch as he cast an eye over the display before him. He was happy that the assistant was busy helping another customer at the opposite end of the counter, he hated it when they tried to put on the hard sell.

“I knew I shouldn’t have let you come” he mumbled loud enough so she could still hear him.

“As if you had a choice!” she chuckled shuffling over to the display, her eyes lighting up like a child in a sweet shop at the treasures before her.

“And anyway you needed my expert opinion” she told him, her eyes wandering frantically over the selection before her.

“Ooh! Oooh!” she exclaimed loudly pointing to the centre of the display.

“This one!”

“Nicole. No.” He shook his head.

“But it’s beautiful!”

“For a Disney princess maybe”

Every girl wants to be a princess!” she protested knowing it was pointless.

“Nic, can you really see Belle walking around with a giant pink rock on her finger?”

“Hmmm” she pondered “I guess not. I so wouldn’t have come if I’d realised you were looking for simple and boring”

“Simple doesn’t have to be boring” he told her, “And Belle’s not boring!”

“Trust me, the only reason she doesn’t bore you is because you’re sleeping with her!”

“Nicole! If all you’re going to do is criticise Belle you can wait in the car. No, in fact you can get the bus home.”

“Ok, I’ll be good” she pouted sulkily.

“What about this one?”

“It’s still pink”

“But it’s baby pink and the other one was fuschia!” she told him as if it made all the difference in the world.

“There’s a difference?” he looked at her doubtfully.

“Men!” she sighed in exasperation.

“How about this one?” he pointed to a small, diamond solitaire.

“Only if you’re planning on providing her with a magnifying glass to go with it!”

“I guess it is a little small” he nodded in agreement.

“A little?! I’ve got freckles bigger than that!” she laughed.

“How about something with her birthstone? That would be kind of romantic” she gushed.

“And I’m meant to know what her birthstone is?”

“No silly, that’s what Google’s for!” she announced, whipping her iphone from her quilted Chanel clutch.

“What month is her birthday in?”

“May” he informed her, no longer paying attention and instead searching intently for the perfect ring.

“Oh” he heard her moan in disappointment.

“What’s wrong now? Don’t tell me, her birthstone’s pink?”

“No, But trust Belle to be born in the only month that has diamonds as the birthstone! That’s really going to narrow down your choice”

“It doesn’t matter” he suddenly smiled and nodded to himself.

“Of course it matters, we’re going to be here all day!”

“No, we’re not, I’ve found it. The perfect ring”

“What? Where?”

“On the assistant’s finger do you reckon you can grab it if I hold her down?”

“Well...?” she screwed up her face in contemplation, sizing up if the petite female looked likely to fight back when having her engagement ring wrestled from her.

“Nic I’m joking!” he chuckled, “where do you think I’ve found it?” he pointed to the display before them.

She followed his gaze to a beautiful oval cut diamond, nestled towards the back of the display. He heard her gasp in awe.

“Oh my god, you do have taste!”

“Do you think she’ll like it?” he began to doubt himself, maybe he should wait until after the proposal and let Belle choose her own ring.

“If she doesn’t I’ll have it” she nudged him playfully before her face suddenly fell.

“Erm Aden, as beautiful as it is have you seen the price?”

“Yes, but it’s Belle she’s worth it”

“Are you telling me you have that sort of money?” she hissed, for once trying not to draw attention to them.

“Well there’s the money from selling my Dad’s house” he explained. The house had sold at auction for way more than either he or the estate agents had predicted and the ring would only be a tiny dent

in the nest egg he now had in the bank.

“Ok, forget Belle. Marry me!”

“Maybe next time Nic” he winked.

She sighed in awe of the ring’s beauty once more.

“Seriously, how lucky is Belle? It’s tradition for the guy to spend a month’s wage on the ring. On what you earn at The Diner she would have been lucky to get one of those ring shaped sweets out of a

packet of Haribo!”

“I’m the lucky one” he insisted as Nicole made gagging noises next to him.

“After all I could have ended up with you!”

“Oh ha ha” she stuck he tongue out and poked him in the rib simultaneously.

“Just make sure you take Geoff ring shopping when he proposes to me. I’ll have the same one,” she paused and winked.

“But in pink”

“But what shade of pink?” he grinned.

“Wouldn’t want you to be disappointed. You’d already have it bad enough marrying Geoff”

“Shut up!” she commanded as the assistant finally made her way over to them and Aden pointed out the ring of his choice.

“Excellent choice, it’s a stunning piece. It’s one of a kind.” the assistant swooned over the platinum and diamond ring as she placed it on a black velvet cushion on the display top.

“Can I touch it?” Nicole asked excitedly, her fingers already reaching out towards it.

“Of course” the assistant smiled, “Try it on, see how it fits. You will be the one wearing it after all”

Before Aden could open his mouth to object Nicole slid the ring on her finger and held up her left hand, the light sparkling of the many facets of the stones.

“She’s not...we’re not...” Aden mumbled in embarrassment, “Nicole, take it off!”

“She’s just helping me choose, although I don’t think anything she’s contributed could be classed as help up to now”

“I see” the assistant laughed as Nicole continued to gaze at the ring and hold her hand in a variety of positions in front of her face.

“Well if it doesn’t fit the lucky lady, we resize for free if you come back to us within 21 days”

“Speaking of resizing...” Nicole cringed trying to pull the ring off her finger.

“Don’t say it!” he ordered.

“It’s stuck” she confirmed.

Panic instantly filled his expression and he began to flush red.

“I’m going to kill you!” he warned, grabbing her hand, his expression changing to surprise as the ring slid off her finger with ease.

“Just kidding” she smiled sweetly.

“I really am going to kill you” he repeated his threat, handing the ring to the assistant together with his credit card.

“It was just a joke! God Aden lighten up, you’re not an old married man yet!”

“And I won’t ever be if you scare me like that again! I thought we were going to have to cut it off your chubby fingers”

“My fingers are not chubby!”

“Don’t worry, it’s not a bad thing they balance your ankles out!”

“My ankles aren’t chubby either!!” she screeched, before looking down to examine the one not covered in plaster.

“Are they?” a smidgen of self doubt flashed across her face.

“Oh shut up Nic, you know you’re gorgeous”

“I’ll tell Belle you said that” she smiled triumphantly, “Have you thought about what you’re going to say to her?”

“I’ll just deny it, she’ll never believe you over me”

“I meant when you propose idiot!”

“Oh. Well I thought I’d just say will you marry me?”

“Really romantic Shakespeare!”

“What?!” he looked at her in annoyance.

“You can’t say it’s not traditional!”

“Hello you” she greeted him enthusiastically, looping her arms around his neck and drawing him into a kiss.

“I missed you” he murmured against her soft lips.

“Aden it’s only been 8 hours” she giggled, planting another kiss upon him.

“I didn’t mean that” he shook his head against hers.

“I missed you. I’ve missed you every day for the past eleven months” he clarified running his fingertips gently down her smooth cheek.

“I missed you too” she whispered, his meaning becoming clear for her. No matter how much time they had spent together since he’d held her hostage 11 months ago, they had never truly been able to

get back their initial closeness, until now.

“I still can’t quite believe it”

“Believe it” she told him as she affectionately placed a string of tender kisses along his jawline.

“I’m not going anywhere”

He tilted his head and caught her lips with his own, their kiss soon becoming urgent and brimming with desire. His hands tangled in her loose tresses as she wrapped her arms even tighter around him

and pulled him closer to her.

Gently he lifted her onto the kitchen counter, his lips never leaving hers, as she circled her legs around his waist. She let out a quiet, breathy moan of pleasure.

“Ahem”

“Sorry Irene” Belle cringed as she lowered her legs and loosened her grip around him. Aden couldn’t help but laugh.

“Normally I’d tell you two to get a room but I’m just glad to see you’ve finally got your acts together”

“So are we” Aden grinned at Belle.

“So I saw” Irene chuckled, “Just try and remember that I prepare dinner on that counter”

“Won’t happen again” Belle promised sliding down until her feet touched the floor, her arms still looped around Aden.

“Just try and wait more than 5 minutes before you break up again this time hey? We’ve had enough drama from you two to last us a lifetime”

“We won’t be breaking up” Aden assured her placing a soft kiss against Belle’s forehead.

“Not in 5 minutes anyway” Belle joked, “I’m sure we can last at least 10”

“Oiy!” he poked her playfully.

“Okay! Okay! 15!” she joked as he began to tickle her.

“Get off!” she protested unable to stop laughing as Irene rolled her eyes from across the room, pretending to disapprove of the childish behaviour when in reality she was just happy to see Belle looking

happier than she had in a long time.

“Stop it!” she cried again and he finally gave in, pulling her back into a hug and kissing her tenderly.

“I’m still here!” Irene called out.

“Sorry Irene!” Aden apologised this time before looking down at Belle, enveloped in his arms.

“Why don’t we go for a walk on the beach?”

“That sounds like a good idea” she nodded placing a quick peck against his shirt.

“Try not to get arrested for indecency won’t you?”

“Ha. Ha. Irene, you’re so funny!” Belle pretended to be amused as she took Aden’s hand in hers and led him out of the house.

The sun had already set for the day and a dusky glow hovered over the bay as the moon and stars cast just enough light to enable them to see where they were going as they idly strolled along the

beach, hand in hand. Belle had slipped of her shoes and grasped them in one hand, letting them dangle beside her as they walked. Her other arm was draped casually around Aden’s waist and he had an arm around her shoulders. It took them longer than usual to reach the pier as neither could go more than a few steps without pausing to steal another kiss.

“Wow!” Belle suddenly exclaimed, tearing her lips from his to drink in the beautiful sight before her.

The pier was decorated with hundreds of white fairy lights, flickering gently in the moonlight and illuminating their favourite spot in the Bay. White rose petals were strewn across the decking and a sweet

smell of vanilla was apparent in the air.

“Did you do this?” she gasped as she noticed her favourite song playing quietly in the distance.

“I might have done” he smiled sweetly.

“All by yourself?” she looked at him suspiciously?

“I might have had some help” he confessed.

“Please tell me you didn’t get Nicole to hang fairy lights in a plaster cast?”

“No!” he laughed, “If I’d let her come down here I would have probably ended up pushing her in!”

“Geoff helped” he explained.

“Geoff?!” her eyes widened in shock.

“I can’t say it wasn’t awkward” he confessed, “But he helped so I’m going to give him a break for tonight”

“You? Not criticise Geoff for an entire night? Not possible!” she laughed as he slipped his arms around her waist and pulled her towards him.

“Let’s stop talking about Geoff” he commanded, kissing her hungrily.

“It’s such a passion killer!”

She laughed against his lips at the comment and felt his mouth form a smirk against hers. They kissed, slow and tender, for several minutes before he broke free and took his hands gently in hers. He

remembered Nicole’s warning not to produce the ring until she’d said yes in case she only said yes to get her hands on it and smiled to himself. The ring remained in his pocket however, so his hands

were free to hold hers.

“Belle” he almost whispered.

“Aden” she replied, grinning with happiness.

“Belle” he repeated.

“I love you”

“I love you too”

“I love you more” he grinned and she didn’t object his time.

He lowered his gaze so he was starring straight into her beautiful eyes.

“I love you so much and I am never happier than when I have ever been when I’m with you. I never thought I could or would be this close to another person but I am so happy that I am and that that

person is you. You’re everything to me and I never want this to end. I want to spend forever doing everything I can to make you happy. Belle, will you marry me?”

“Aden” she gulped as he looked at her expectantly. She felt like his gaze was burning right through her throbbing heart.

“Aden” she sighed breaking eye contact.

“Aden...Aden I can’t”

“Right” he dropped her hands, his face etched with heartbreak.

“Aden, I-“

“It’s ok you don’t have to explain. You don’t want to marry me, let’s not make this any harder than it already is” He turned quickly and began to stomp away.

“Aden!” she called after him but he didn’t acknowledge her at all, simply continuing on his way.

“Aden Jeffries don’t you dare walk away from me!” she shouted, raising her volume so he couldn’t possibly pretend not to hear her.

“Don’t you even think about ruining what we have, what we’ve only just got back, because of this!”

He stopped in his tracks and slowly turned back towards her. She walked towards him and stopped when only mere centimetres remained between them.

“I love you Aden Jeffries” she told him, placing a hand tenderly on his arm.

“But you don’t want to marry me?” he asked, clearly wounded by the rejection.

“No” she shook her head before continuing.

“I love you so much. I love being with you and I want this to work, I want this to be forever. But I can’t marry you, not now”

She let her hand slide slowly up his chest before raising it to tenderly caress his cheek.

“Can you honestly tell me that all this, or at least some part of it, isn’t because you’re scared that I’m going to leave again?”

He bowed his head slightly and she knew instantly that she was right.

“Aden” she sighed.

“I don’t know how many times I can tell you that I’m not going anywhere before you start believing it but if you give me time then I’ll show you that I’m here to stay. I’m not going to walk away again,

not from you. The last time hurt me just as much as it hurt you”

“I couldn’t deal with that again Belle” he looked up at her solemnly.

“Aden, you know me! You know me better that I know myself some days! I’m stubborn and headstrong and I do want I want when I want. Do you really think that if I wanted to leave a piece of paper

and a ring on my finger would stop me?”

“No” he let out a small laugh realising the truth in her words.

“Then don’t walk away because I said no. I don’t want to get married yet. There are so many things I want to do before we get to that stage. Before it was all so rushed. One day you were climbing

through my window drunk and practically the next we were a couple. Do you realise we never even went on a single date? We just launched straight into more drama than most couples have in a lifetime”

“Yeah I guess we did” he smiled.

“I want to be with you, I want to enjoy being with you, dating you. I’m not planning on going anywhere or being with anyone else. Aden when I look at you I see my past, my present and definitely my

future. And something that I really hope is forever. But I don’t need to marry you for this to mean everything to me”

“I’m such an idiot” he groaned as she rested her head against his temple and placed a kiss lovingly on his lips.

“No you’re not. You’re amazing and this was so sweet and romantic and I do love it”

“Just to clarify, you are saying no right?” he smirked as she laughed and smothered him with kisses.

“No” she shook her head finally breaking away from him.

“I’m not saying no. I’m saying...someday”

“Someday?” he smiled.

“Someday” she nodded, mirroring his expression.

“I like the sound of that” he told her dropping a kiss of the tip of her nose.

“I’ll take someday”.

The ring

Chapter 28

Aden sighed in frustration as he forcefully slammed shut the textbook before him and looked up at her.

“It’s no good, you’re distracting me”

“What? I didn’t say a word!” She protested, raising her gaze from her laptop. She had been quietly photoshopping some recent beach shots before he’d made his accusation.

“You don’t have to!” he sighed again, dropping the pen he was clutching on to the kitchen table.

“You just being here is enough to stop me concentrating completely”

“Then I’ll leave. I can do this at home and you can get your assignment done” She offered, snapping her laptop shut and beginning to stand. His hand, warm and strong, was instantly on her arm.

“No!” he protested adamantly.

“That’s not going to work either”

“If I’m not here Aden then you can’t accuse me of distracting you” she replied, gathering the rest of her things together.

“When you’re not here you’re all I can think about” he sighed in exasperation.

“I’m going to fail my degree because of you” he smirked, taking her laptop and bag from her and placing them on the table before pulling her gently on to his lap. She wrapped her arms around his neck

as he placed a tender kiss on her soft lips.

“Maybe I should just study you instead” he winked at her suggestively as she slowly ran her fingers through his blonde hair.

“And what makes you think you’d do better at that than psychology?” she teased playfully.

“Let’s just say I’m on intimate terms with the examiner” he grinned back at her before placing a string of burning kisses down her throat.

“Hmmmm?” she pretended to ponder as he pulled back and gazed intently into her bright blue eyes.

“That might get you a B I suppose”

A small smile creeped cheekily across her ruby red lips.

“A B?” he asked incredulously.

“Oh yeah, the examiner, she’s got really high standards” she winked as he caught her lips with his own and drew her into a tender kiss.

“A –“ She immediately announced when he tore his lips away.

“And I thought Belle Taylor Studies would be the easy option” he chuckled, grazing her cheek with his mouth.

“Nu uh” she shook her head against his own as he turned unexpectedly and began to kiss her again, slowly at first. He nipped her lower lip gently before expertly parting her lips with his tongue and

pulling her body closer to him so neither was sure where they ended and the other began. Their kiss quickly grew more passionate as a breathy moan escaped Belle’s aching body and he sighed in

satisfaction into their kiss.

Suddenly he pulled away, leaving her gasping and craving more.

“Ok” she smiled, her pupils dilated and her cheeks flushed with a deep crimson hue.

“Now you’re definitely on the honour roll” she smirked, placing her lips on his once more.

“Eeew get a room you two!”

“We’ve got a room, it’s called the kitchen” Aden replied sarcastically as Nicole buried her head in the fridge.

“Funny!” her muffled voice called out.

“But if it’s ok with you two I’d like to be able to eat at that table without having to wonder what you’ve been up to on it!”

“Better not tell her about last night then” Belle joked in a whisper loud enough for Nicole to hear.

“Eugh shut up!” she announced slamming the fridge door shut and visibly shuddering as she glanced at the table, currently covered in Aden’s uni work.

“Geoff!” she screamed just as he appeared in the kitchen doorway.

“No need to deafen me Nic!”

“Sorry but I’ve just been traumatised. I’m hungry and apparently I now have to eat at The Diner for the rest of my life! So let’s go have lunch”

“Actually, I should go. I promised Annie I’d go with her to help out at the church fete”

“No!” Nicole protested a smile creeping across her pretty face as she continued.

“Geoff! Don’t leave! Marry me instead!”

Aden smirked.

“It’s been a week. Seriously is this ever going to get old?” he sighed.

“No” Nicole, Geoff and Belle all replied in unison.

“I hate you all” he stated bluntly as all three laughed.

“Even me?” Belle pouted, still in his lap.

“Especially you”

“You don’t mean that” she replied, nestling into the crook of his neck and running her lips over his soft skin.

“Eugh! Enough!” Nicole grabbed Geoff’s arm and stormed out as Belle pulled away laughing.

“Well at least we know how to get rid of Nicole now” she grinned.

He stared back at her blankly.

“Aden” she pleaded.

“It was a joke”

“I wasn’t joking when I proposed to you Belle” He appeared to be genuinely wounded by the joke which she had to admit was wearing a little thin after 7 days.

“I know that and so does Nicole. It’s a joke, she’ll find something new to tease you about soon enough”

“I don’t care what Nicole thinks about it. But if you think I’m idiot for pr-“

“I don’t” she silenced him, placing a kiss gently on his lips.

“You were scared of losing me and that is actually really flattering” she smiled.

“Unnecessary, but flattering”

“That wasn’t the only reason... I do love you” he told her, gently running the back of his hand down his cheek. As he reached her lips she softly kissed his knuckles.

“I love you too...so so much” she whispered before pulling him into a passionate kiss.

“How are you feeling about tonight?” he questioned as they finally broke away and she rested her temple against his.

“Strange I guess” she shrugged.

“The offer is still open if you want me to be there”

“No” she shook her head.

“I think it should just be me and Angelo but thank you”

“OK, but if you change your mind I’m here” he told her, accepting that she wanted to do this without him but wanting her to know that he would be there if she wanted.

“I know” she smiled confidently, kissing his forehead softly.

“So...” he looked at her expectantly.

“What are you doing Saturday night?”

“Saturday? Erm nothing I don’t think why?”

“Well I was wondering if you wanted to go out and do something...with me obviously”

“You mean like a date?” she beamed.

“Exactly like a date” he grinned back at her.

“A first date, seen as apparently we never had one of those”

“Oh we did, only it involved you breaking and entering and forcing your way into my bed”

“Right” he chuckled, his face scrunching up in the way she always found adorable.

“Well I’ll be sure to avoid criminal activity this time”

“Ok, I will go on a date with you on one condition”

“Go on?” he encouraged.

“It really has to be a first date. No talk of me leaving, or Angelo or hostage situations”

“Wait a minute though?” he pretended not to like the idea.

“Does that mean no sex?”

“Aden we’re already not having sex!” she laughed.

“True” he nodded cheekily.

“Maybe I’d actually have more chance on the first date”

“Don’t you even thing about saying the S word!” she tried to threaten but couldn’t help giggling as he began to kiss her.

“Belle where are we going?” he asked hesitantly as she continued to lead him further along the stretch of beach.

“We’re nearly there” she replied without looking back at him. She still wasn’t sure doing this with him was a good idea but it was too late to back out now. A part of her wished Aden was there with her so

that perhaps she would feel more at ease but her nerves were on edge as she came to an abrupt stop.

“Here” she handed the thin, silver tube she was carrying to him and watched him open it, before he unravelled the scroll of thick, expensive paper curled up inside. He studied the sheet of paper intently

before whispering almost inaudibly to himself.

“Baby Taylor-Rosetta” he repeated several times before he looked up at her, tears glistening in his eyes, the moonlight bouncing off the liquid emotion.

“You named a star for our baby?” he questioned, reaching up to quickly wipe away a tear which had managed to fall.

She nodded silently.

“I thought it was a nice idea”

“It is. Belle, it’s perfect. So much better than anything I came up with”

“True” she laughed.

“But I can’t really take the credit. It was Aden’s idea”

“Right of course” he snapped his fists clenching around the certificate in his hands, scrunching the edges into tiny peaks.

“Angelo, don’t” she ordered.

“Sorry. I just...even though this was our baby I feel like Aden was always more involved than I was”

“I guess in a way he was” she admitted.

“But the baby was yours and I know if you had even thought that I was considering an abortion you would have done everything in your power to stop me right?”

“Damn right” he replied adamantly, outrage flashing across his face.

“Aden offered to book the appointment”

“What?!”

“Don’t get angry, please. It was months ago and I never would have actually gone through with an abortion. I’m only telling you this because I think you need to understand that for Aden it wasn’t about

the baby. It was always about me. He would have done anything to make me happy. He still would”.

A small smile crept across her lips as she thought of him.

“If our baby had lived I don’t doubt that Aden would have loved him or her but because they were part of me. Whereas you loved our baby from the minute I told you I was pregnant because he or she was our baby. No matter how involved Aden was nothing will ever change that”

“You’re right” he conceded quietly.

“So please don’t attack him again”

“I half expected you to bring him with you tonight” he ignored her last remark.

“I didn’t think it would be right” she told him pulling the sheet of paper from his grasp and gazing down at it.

“He told me this would be a good spot to see the star though”

He moved closer to her and looked over her shoulder at the sheet giving details of the star’s location. Together they looked up at the dusky night sky and searched for the star named for their baby

amongst the many others which twinkled above them.

“There!” she exclaimed, pointing to a star shining brightly just to their right.

“That’s it!”

He checked the star against the paper and nodded in agreement.

“Yes it is” he whispered as they both gazed up at the identified star. They stood in silence for a few minutes, his hand resting gently on her shoulder.

“Do you think we should say something?” he finally asked.

“Like what?”

“Whatever we want to say, I don’t think there are rules for things like this”

“What can we say? “Hi baby, wish you were here”? Like some tacky holiday postcard?” she questioned him, almost annoyed.

“You are so sarcastic, I don’t know how I ever thought we’d work out”

“At least Aden can give as good as he gets” she snapped and he laughed. Choosing to ignore her comment he cleared his throat.

“Ok I’ll go first then” he looked down at her, expecting her to try and stop him but he didn’t.

“I guess I just want to say...” he paused and blushed a little before looking up into the sky.

“Ok this feels a little stupid but I guess I want to say Happy Birthday and that I love you. And that I wish things had turned out differently so I could tell you that every day but even though they didn’t

nothing will ever change the fact that I do and I always will”

He lowered his gaze to the brunette next to him and rubbed her arm comfortingly.

“Do you want to say something?”

“I don’t think I can” she shook her head.

“Belle, it’s just us. I know it feels a little bit silly but if you have something you want to say...”

She suddenly thought of Larry’s funeral and the eulogy she’d read aloud for Aden. Honest and scathing. It hadn’t been the typical eulogy. He’d told the truth and she instantly knew she had to do that

now.

“Ok” she nodded, her gaze wandering upwards. She took a deep breath and gulped before speaking in an almost whisper.

“More than anything I want to say that I’m sorry. I’m sorry for ever thinking that I didn’t want you and for never truly valuing the time I did have with you. When you were growing inside me, living

inside me and all I ever did was resent you. I’m sorry that I considered not having you or giving you away. I’m sorry for wishing you didn’t exist. But more than anything I’m sorry for not realising that I loved you until it was too late”

She finally took a breath, her heart was pounding and a wave of emotion flowed through her like nausea. She struggled to breathe and a barrage of tears threatened to break free.

“Belle?” he looked down at her concerned.

“I can’t be here anymore” she replied beginning to walk away.

“Belle!” he chased after her, until finally he was in front of her and she had to stop.

“Belle, I know this is difficult, but I’m here and I’m hurting too. You can talk to me”

“I’m sorry” she told him this time.

“I just can’t”.

He watched her storm away, the certificate swinging idly in her hands as she went.

“I knew you couldn’t keep away from me!” he exclaimed jovially as she barged into his bedroom.

“What’s wrong?” his expression instantly changed to concern as he saw how distraught she was.

Without a word she climbed onto the bed next to him and buried her head in his chest. As soon as she did so her tears finally began to flow and he felt her body shake gently against his own. He pushed

aside the text book he had been reading and enveloped her in his strong arms. Soothingly he rubbed the back of her head and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead as she released all her pain against him.

She clutched at his shirt with both hands, clawing the material, gripping him with all her might as though she might break if he ever let go. He didn’t speak, simply letting her cry in his arms. She let out the occasional whimper and he responded by pulling her closer and brushing his soft lips against her furrowed temple.

Slowly her tears subsided until she was silent and still in his arms. She pulled back a little and rubbed a palm across the front of his tear sodden shirt.

“Sorry, I got you all wet”

“Isn’t that what I’m here for?” he smiled slightly, pushing a stray tendril of hair out of her blotchy, red eyes.

“I’m just glad you came to me” he whispered.

“Where else would I go?” she questioned, softly kissing his chest before resting her head against it once more.

She felt his lips form a smile on the top of her head.

“I’m not running anymore Aden. I’m not going anywhere”

“I know that. It’s just nice to see the words in practice”

“So you get a kick out of seeing me like this?” she tilted her head to look up at him.

“I didn’t mean it like that, you know I didn’t”

“I know” she whispered.

“You know I would take all your pain away in an instant if I could”

“It hurts you that you can’t doesn’t it?” she asked, caressing his cheek affectionately.

“How did you know?”

“Because that’s how I felt, when you were going through everything with your Dad and your Granddad...”

“Just having you there helped” he told her taking hold of her hand and cradling it in his.

“And you being here helps me. I needed to be here. I couldn’t open up to Angelo”

“Did he upset you?” he asked protectively.

“No, he’s hurting too. It was just really hard and I needed you. I needed this” she told him, cuddling closer to him.

He pressed her hand to his lips and left a gentle trail of butterfly kisses before letting go and reaching across to grab a gift bag from his bedside table.

“I got you this” he informed her as he dropped the bag into her hands.

“My birthday was last month” she looked at him confused.

“I know. But it’s not a birthday present. Well not exactly anyway. Open it”

She pulled the silver tissue paper from the small bag to find a tiny charm nestled inside. She placed the shiny, silver item in the middle of her palm and ran her fingertips around the edges, forming the

star shape.

“Aden” she whispered as he tenderly took the charm from her and hooked it to her charm bracelet.

“I know I can never really understand how you must feel but I know that even though today must have been really hard for you, every day must be hard in its own way and I just thought this was a nice

way of representing the fact that your baby’s still with you everyday no matter what day it is”

“I don’t deserve you” she smiled, kissing him tenderly.

“No, you’re right. But then no one does” he smiled cheekily before kissing her again and smirking.

“You just got lucky”

Chapter 29

“Belle, your date’s here!” Irene called out just as Belle exited her bedroom.

She had no idea whether she was appropriately dressed given that Aden had refused to give her any hints about where they were going. After much deliberation she had finally settled on a casual, azure blue dress, nipped in at the waist with a thin, red belt. Her hair fell in soft waves to her shoulder and her charm bracelet was looped delicately around her wrist, jangling slightly as she moved. A dab of nude lipgloss and a coat of mascara finished the look.

“Wow!” Aden exclaimed before he could think about what he was saying.

“Erm I mean...Hi” he mumbled, trying not to seem too enthusiastic for a “first” date.

“Hi” she laughed, smiling back at him.

“Are those for me?” she nodded towards the flowers he clutched to his chest.

“No, I’ve got another date at 9” he joked glancing at his watch and handing her the small bouquet.

“Better get a move on then haven’t we?” she chuckled, breathing in the fresh floral scent.

“White roses, my favourite, how did you know?” she smiled knowingly.

“Just a hunch” he laughed as she quickly half filled a glass with water and balanced the bouquet inside until she could deal with arranging them later.

“We should go, wouldn’t want you to keep Miss 9pm waiting would we?” she smiled and they began to silently head towards the door.

“Wait a minute boyo” Irene suddenly interrupted.

“What?” Aden turned and looked back at her, clearly confused. As far as he was aware he hadn’t done anything to annoy Irene...this week.

“You can’t seriously expect me to let you just walk out of here with her for your first date without asking you what your intentions are can you?”

“Irene!” Belle cringed remembering just why she’d never let a guy collect her for their first date before.

Irene grinned mischievously and continued to look at Aden expectantly. She tapped her foot against the tiled kitchen floor to indicate that she waiting for an answer.

“No it’s ok” Aden smirked looking directly at Irene.

“From what I can remember...” he paused pretending to ponder.

“I intend to make her crazy about me, then I’ll call her a skank but I’ll apologise so everything will be ok, then I’ll try and kill my father, hold her hostage, narrowly escape prison and drive her into the

arms of another man. Any problems with that?”

“No, she’s been through worse” Irene laughed as Belle grabbed Aden’s hand and pulled him out of the house.

Annie’s shocked voice rang out as they walked up the driveway.

“He called her a skank?

“I’m impressed” Belle smiled as she absorbed the sight before her. Aden had picked a quiet and secluded spot on the beach as the location for their date. A soft picnic blanket was surrounded by dozens

of silver tea lights, flickering in the sea breeze and a slow, melodic track drifted out from the speakers of the portable ipod dock rested on top.

“But what happened to the blanket?” she questioned nodding towards the singed edges.

“I may have had an accident lighting the candles” he cringed as she laughed heartily.

She settled down onto the blanket, her knees tucked beneath her and delved into the woven hamper which was clearly Roman’s contribution to the evening.

“Grape?” she offered the bunch to him as she popped a luscious green grape into her mouth.

He pulled a grape from the bunch but instead of eating it, tried to feed it to her instead.

“Nu uh!” she shook her head taking the grape from his hand with her fingers.

“Too forward Mr Jeffries!” she pretended to scold him as she continued to search through the goodies in the hamper and he watched her in silence.

“Are we actually going to communicate tonight?” she laughed.

“Well I’m not sure, you’ve told me what I’m not allowed to talk about. I’m not sure what topics are permitted. I’ve never really done this before” he blushed slightly at the admission even though she’d

already known this was the case.

“Well first dates are about getting to know each other so we talk about us I guess. Dreams, ambitions, family, favourite colour” she smiled

“Ok what is your favourite colour?” he chose the safest option.

“Pink” she replied without missing a beat.

“Pink?!” he almost choked on the grape he has just popped into his mouth.

“It’s a first date!” she laughed.

“Guys like girly girls, so for tonight my favourite colour is pink”

“I prefer my girls to be honest” he smiled back at her.

“If I’d wanted girly I would be here with Nicole”

“Ok it’s blue!” she instantly blurted out not wanting to ever be compared to Nicole.

He chuckled and threw a grape at her. Expertly she caught it in her mouth.

“So what’s your favourite colour?”

“Pink” he replied without a hint of a smile on his face.

She threw her head back with a chuckle, a beaming smile illuminating her face and happiness reflecting back at him when he gazed into her eyes.

“I’m a guy! We don’t have favourite colours”

“All guys have a favourite colour” she smirked.

“It’s usually blonde or brunette but it’s definitely a colour”

“Brunette, definitely brunette” he grinned his eyes wandering over her dark tresses as he spoke before his gaze settled on her soft lips.

Slowly he moved towards her, sweet anticipation building as his lips drew closer to hers. Just as they were finally about to touch she pulled away, a small smirk dancing on her lips.

“Not on the first date” she told him, helping herself to more of the luxury food.

He groaned loudly in frustration.

“I’m beginning to regret suggesting this” he told her as she sipped the champagne he had poured into crystal flutes.

“If I’d have known you were going to take it so seriously, I would have suggested something that involved sex. Like...marriage” he laughed as he realised what he’d said.

“But you already did that!” she giggled.

“And I turned you down loser!”

“I don’t think we’re going to make it to a second date” he sulked.

“Not just a loser, but a sore loser at that” she muttered to herself just loud enough for him to hear, a grin forming as she did so.

He pouted.

“Ok” she tried to rectify the situation.

“Let’s get back to our date and getting to know each other. Tell me about your childhood”

His eyebrows instantly arched in her direction.

“Ok maybe not” she conceded.

“Not exactly the best topic for either of us huh?”

“Not exactly” he agreed.

“Ok, different spin. When you were younger what did you want to be when you grew up?”

“Safe” he instantly replied in a whisper.

“Oh Aden” she murmured, forgetting her own rules and extending her arms to embrace him.

“No. No. No.” He half laughed as he pushed her away.

“Not tonight remember?”

“But –“ she began to protest only for him to cut her dead.

“They’re your rules Belle, play by them” he ordered matter of factly.

“Fine!” she exclaimed, slightly annoyed but not enough to stop her from continuing.

“But you know you’re safe now right? I’m never going to let anyone hurt you again”

“God you’re possessive for a first date!” he pretended to be freaked out when in reality all he wanted to do was hold her and tell her he felt the same way about her.

“Can you say restraining order Belle?”

“Shut up!” she laughed as he leant in close to her, his nose nudging her ear as he whispered and his warm breath tickled her lobe.

“I’ve never felt safer than when I’m with you”

Before she could react, he whipped his face away from hers and blurted out an answer.

“A fireman”

“What?”

“I wanted to be a fireman” he told her as she finally remembered what she had asked him in the first place.

“I had the uniform and everything” he laughed.

“Have you still got it?” she grinned cheekily.

“I don’t think it would fit somehow” he laughed.

“In fact it would probably be indecent”

“Even better!” she licked her lips hungrily.

“Oiy!” he nudged her.

“First date remember?”

“In that case I wanted to be a nun” she told him picking the least sexually charged answer she could.

He grinned suggestively.

“Please don’t tell me that’s your secret fantasy” she laughed.

“Please tell me you were joking” he laughed with her.

“Of course I was! Although my adoptive parents would have loved it”

“So what did Susan Taylor really want to be?”

“A gymnast” she laughed.

“A gymnast? Belle you have no coordination whatsoever. You fall over your own feet at least twice a day!”

“What can I say? I’ve always been a dreamer” she chuckled as he topped up their glasses and she began to eye up the tempting desserts.

“So my turn to ask a question” he hesitated unsure of her reaction to his enquiry. He anticipated some sort of violence.

“Tell me about your exes”

“Aden” she pulled a face at him that told him she wasn’t impressed.

“It’s my turn and I want to know why you’re still single”

“Because I’ve spent my whole life just waiting for you” she replied sarcastically.

“Belle” he laughed.

“Ok but which ex do you want to know about? Angelo? Drew? Ric? Lucas? You see I’ve been around” she mocked.

“Great picture to paint of yourself on a first date there Belle”

“Well you already told Irene you intend to call me a skank so I thought I’d give you ammunition” she laughed.

“So why didn’t it work out with any of the many?” he chuckled at his own rhyming abilities.

“You’re not funny” she stuck a tongue out at him playfully.

“I guess it wasn’t right with any of them. Ric and Lucas, we were only ever meant to be friends really and well Drew and I we were together a long time but we were really young and neither of us really

knew what we wanted or needed and in the end it just fizzled out. And then Angelo well he was...”

“The rebound guy?” Aden dared to interrupt.

“As terrible as that makes me sound that’s exactly what he was. He was sweet and caring and a really nice guy but he was never what or who I wanted”

“You prefer bad boys huh?” he laughed.

“Yep. Shame you’re reformed or we could have been a perfect match”

“I’m sure I can be corrupted” he winked.

“I don’t doubt that” she smiled before digging into Roman’s chocolate mud cake. He picked up a fork and stole some off of her plate.

“Oiy! Get your own!” she scolded him pulling the cake towards her protectively.

“Never come between a woman and chocolate Aden! Remember that!”

“So your turn. Tell me about your exes” she demanded, stabbing another chunk of cake with her fork.

“Belle, you know there haven’t been any”

“There was Gracie”

“She doesn’t really count, we went on a few dates, it was nothing”

“But you still went out with her. There must have been something. Why her?” she asked the question that had been bothering her for a few days. What if there really had been something between him and Gracie?

“I’d have to venture out of first date territory to answer that”

“Permission to stray granted” she looked up at him and smiled, urging him to answer.

“Why her?”

“Because she wasn’t you. She was as far away from you I could get and I needed that.”

“To forget me?” she gulped as she swallowed the piece of cake she was chewing.

“No” he shook his head adamantly.

“As if I ever could. Belle, I was scared. I thought you were gone for good and being with someone who reminded me of you in the slightest would have been unbearable. I was scared that it would

happen again, what if I fell again and then she left? By choosing someone who wasn’t like you I felt in control a little, like I was ensuring that I wouldn’t hurt like that ever again”

“Can I stray too?” she bit her lip nervously as she asked.

“You never could stick to rules” he smiled.

“I was really jealous. I could see that she was the total opposite of me and I thought that she was what you wanted and that I’d never been any of the things you wanted or needed”

“Belle, you’re all I’ve ever wanted and needed” he told her softly.

“Is hand holding allowed on a first date?” he smiled tenderly.

She nodded and reached out for his hand in the exact same moment in which he reached for hers. Their fingers entwined they smiled lovingly at each other.

“I love you” he mouthed silently in an attempt to avoid being told off for saying it out loud.

His reprieve however, came in the form of a deafening rumble of thunder followed less than a second later by the heavens opening. In an instant all the candles went out and they were both soaked.

“Damn it!” he cursed as they both jumped up and began to gather up the picnic items.

“I wanted things to be perfect” he told her, rolling up the blanket as rain dripped off his sodden hair and down his soft cheeks.

“Aden nothing is ever perfect” she laughed, dropping the hamper to the sand and proceeding to spread her arms out and twirl around in the rain.

“You’re mad!” he laughed as she got even more soaked as she danced in the rain.

“But you love it” she giggled as she finally stopped and had to hold onto him to regain her balance.

“I might do, but Miss 9pm might be better I’ll have to see”

She looked down at her watch.

“Well if she’s so patient that she waited until 11pm then she is clearly a better woman than I am” she giggled as he took hold of her hand again.

“11pm? Damn I guess I’m stuck with you then” he smiled squeezing her hand as the rain continued to pour down.

“I guess you are” she mirrored his gesture as they began to run back to the beach house, giggling all the way back.

“I don’t think I’ll need a shower tonight!” Belle laughed as she finally sought cover under the porch of The Beach House.

“Don’t say that!” he laughed.

“Don’t ruin my fantasies, at least pretend you’re going to have a shower!” he winked suggestively.

“Because I’m just that dirty?” she played him at his own game.

“Exactly” he grinned.

“Well” she suddenly came over all coy.

“Call me, I guess”

“What? No goodnight kiss? No night cap? Coffee?” he teased.

“On a first date? Aden Jeffries, I’m just not that kind of girl!” she exclaimed before swinging the door open, shuffling inside, and slamming it behind her.

He stood staring at the door in slight shock for a few seconds before realising she was serious and sighing in defeat.

Just as he was about to turn and leave the door flew back open and a hand reached out and grasped his drenched shirt, pulling him inside.

“Who am I kidding?” she laughed as her lips met his and the door slipped shut behind them.

“We both know I’m a skank!”

The End Beginning?

Comments

Archived