Gina Austin - Sonia Todd

Since Gina doesn't have her menopause, does anyone else thinks she's pregnant??

I think so, by the way she told John..

I wondered that too!I'd love it if the show did go that way, it'd be nice to see an older woman(and a married one at that!)going through it and how John and Xavier react to it.

Even if I'm not watching UK/Australian pace regularly I would say Please no!!! Gina is too old. I would have like to se an older woman getting pregnant, but not Gina.. just because she is too old. She was Hugo's mother remember! You don't get pregnant in your fifties, early to mid forties forties - maybe, but not in early fifties. That would be far too fetched. The actress who plays her is 52 years old, and I do belieave that Gina is about the same age.

Some people her are very quick to put characters in late 30's to late 50's in the same bag... and that is strange really. Because there are a big difference being for instance 38 or being 52... I would have said: make this Roo pregnant - she was a teen in late eightees so I suppose she is about 40?? That is a suitable age for being an "older" pregnant woman...

By the way, I actually can't stand Gina.. (almost two years behind), she is so lifeless. And Bartlett was a much better principal and a far more intrguing character. I was sad to se him go, after they some kind of promised a more deeper storyline about him in 2008... we never saw a follow up to his loneliness or the Kirsty storyline. Gina is so icecold. I actually liked her during her first month or so, In early 2009 season... but then she became stale and emotionless.

Edited by jodlebirger

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gina's improved since they paired her with John, it's let us see her softer side.She can still be cold at times but at least we've got the contrast.I don't think Gina's too old to have children, women do still have children late in life:She might be Hugo's mother(although I don't think he was as old as he looked and as the guy that played him was, he was only meant to be in his 20s)but she's also Xavier's.She's also Tony's sister and he's got a young son so I don't think it's totally out of the question.

I don't think it would be wrong for Gina to get pregnant again.

People these days gets preganant at all ages, both younger and older. Before she had Brendan to look after (by the way I hope he visit her soon again), but now she looks so happy with John. Never thought he would be the one to change her for the better..but I'm glad he did :wink:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read an article this week about a 15 year old boy, and 14 year old girl in the UK who was preganant..

And both her parents (the kid's grandparents) are 29!!!!

And this was not even a soap opera..

My friend's mum just had a baby at 47 so it depends what side of 50 Gina's meant to be.

on the other side - 50+, I suppose - well, I hope. I am tired that H&A is so unrealistic when it comes to age, everybody seem to have children at the age of 14....

Hugo was meant to be around 30... Menopause is more realistic when it comes to Gina. My mother was in her menopause when she was 46, and a lot of women are at that age. A baby at 47 is really uncommon, well one of my grandmothers was 45, but that is also very very old. You are supposed to be an old mother when you give birth after 35.

Edited by jodlebirger

My friend's mum just had a baby at 47 so it depends what side of 50 Gina's meant to be.

on the other side - 50+, I suppose - well, I hope. I am tired that H&A is so unrealistic when it comes to age, everybody seem to have children at the age of 14....

Hugo was meant to be around 30... Menopause is more realistic when it comes to Gina. My mother was in her menopause when she was 46, and a lot of women are at that age. A baby at 47 is really uncommon, well one of my grandmothers was 45, but that is also very very old. You are supposed to be an old mother when you give birth after 35.

Hugo was lot younger than the actor that was playing him.

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER
SPAG

Hugo was the same age as Jack, so he'd be about 28 now.Given that Tony seems to be in his mid 40s, unless there was a pretty big age gap between him and Gina I'd guess she's meant to be late 40s.

Didn't they mention at the hospital that Hugo is 27 or 28?

When he came in after his "shark attack".

I don't think Gina is meant to be 50+, rather 45+ somewhere..

It suits the character better I think.

Hugo was the same age as Jack, so he'd be about 28 now.Given that Tony seems to be in his mid 40s, unless there was a pretty big age gap between him and Gina I'd guess she's meant to be late 40s.

Didn't they mention at the hospital that Hugo is 27 or 28?

When he came in after his "shark attack".

You're right, they say he's 28 when he's brought in after the explosion at the bus, almost exactly two years ago.So he'd have been in his 20s when he was on the show and he'd be 30 now.

...who just isn't that good at the job, who makes mistakes and gets things wrong despite having good intentions.But then you get storylines like the one with Mink, where she's portrayed as some sort of miracle worker who can sort out problem teenagers, and you wonder if she's actually meant to be flawed or whether they've made her that way by accident.

This is an excellent point. I like characters who are written as flawed characters (like Irene when she started fostering Selina and made a lot of mistakes) and their fallibility is focussed on as part of the character/storyline. With Gina, it doesn't feel like that at all. It's more that the writers don't really have a grand plan for the character or even a particulary strong idea of what the character is about. So one day she can be a perfect mother and that fits her, and the next she can be awful and that fits her too. But it's never mentioned or focussed on, so you end up feeling she's just an inconsistent character.

Having said that, I do like her. Helped in no small part by the actress who plays her.

But I think her character needs a lot of work, focus, and attention. For example, her job as headteacher. It's like she was just given that so she would have a reason to stay in the Bay. What difference does it actually make to day-to-day Home and Away whether she's headteacher, or works in the Diner? Compare this to Fisher - being headteacher was an enormous part of his character (and a very important role in the show). It wasn't all there was to him, but it was a very big part. As for Gina - as far as I remember we've never even seen her in the principal's office.