Breaking The Taboo

Guest **Julie**

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The writers are the only ones that can do justice to a storyline (such as Abuse in this case), as they are the ones who are going to set up the scenes, write the dialogue & interaction between characters within it, to make it look as realistic as possible. The actor is required to do justice to his role (in Todd's case the abuse victim) as part of the storyline. In any case if something is written brilliantly and totally realistically, it will not show onscreen to it's full power, unless the main character's (in this case Aden) role is not in the hands of a capable actor.

Great, well written storylines have fallen flat at the hands of lesser actors, who sometimes ham their way through a scene, or fail to grasp the right nuances that are required. Therefore if the writers did justice to the storyline, and you seem to agree with that, then the portrayal must have been spot on. Otherwise we would not have been able to notice the realism that the writing wanted to convey.

I'm not saying that Todd's the next Pacino or Nicholson, because he's got a long way to go for that. But for an actor from a soap, he is doing extremely well, infact I would go as far as to say that he is one of few talented young actors to emerge from h&a. He certainly has a bright future ahead of him. Winning a Logie is not needed, as his work speaks for itself. But it would be stupid if he were to not win one, as lesser actors (some even non-actors :P) with barely any talent, have been awarded one for doing nothing much onscreen.

I disagree (My most used phrase in discussions :P). Just because I think the writing is decent doesn't mean that I think that the storyteller (in this case, the actor) is telling it in a good way. I'm capable of telling the difference between a good storyteller but a terrible story and a terrible storyteller but a good story. For most people, the storyteller decides if the they think it's a good story; I'm not one of those. If the acting is terrible, but the story good, then I'll think afterwards "hey, at least it was a good story!", not "blah, what a crap story!".

I think saying that he's doing extremely well for being a soap actor is taking it way too far. He's not that good. Maybe it's because I don't like the character. But if he was as good as you say, at least I'd be able to enjoy his scenes a bit more. I don't like the character, nor the Adelle storyline and the way the abuse storyline has been entwined with it.

Of course you're entitled to think that Todd is amazing, outstanding, fantastic and all that. Just be aware that some people who disagree can get very annoyed when you keep saying it everywhere. I can see that some of you may find me annoying because I disagree (trust me, I know the feeling :P), but then again, everyone should be entitled to an opinion :)

I don't like the character, nor the Adelle storyline and the way the abuse storyline has been entwined with it.

I just found your post about doing justice to a storyline & being a bad actor confusing. So I replied to your post to explain it through my eyes. If you found the storyline realistic but the acting poor then that's your opinion & your entitled to it. I, however, think that the enjoyment & realistic portrayal of a storyline is diminished with bad acting. Also I think Todd is a very good, capable actor & one of the better actors on the show. Most of his scenes during the abuse storyline have been great. That doesn't mean to say that he hasn't ever had bad scenes, if he has I'll be the first to call him on it, and I certainly don't need to go around everywhere and say how wonderful he is. Nobody is perfect, an actor is always learning, this is part of the art.

I love the character & really enjoyed the abuse storyline, but I hate, hate, HATE the way it was entwined with the Adelle storyline. :rolleyes: I am, by no means, an Adelle fan. Infact I am entirely anti, as two of my most favourite singular characters lost their identity & originality in the vacuum known as 'Adelle'. It seems we do agree on something. lol! :P

I just found your post about doing justice to a storyline & being a bad actor confusing

Haha, that's okay. To be honest, most people I have a discussion with, usually end up thinking (or saying) "wtf is she on about?!" :P I am a very confusing person indeed, and am the first person to admit it :P

and I certainly don't need to go around everywhere and say how wonderful he is.

That comment was not aimed at you. I've been in the Aden discussion thread and lots of the post contain a line saying "Todd is an amazing/fantastic/brilliant actor" or something similiar. And I just sit there going " :rolleyes: Would you please stop saying that?! I get it! No need to rub my nose in it! >.<" Now maybe you're thinking "what on earth is she doing in there if it annoys her?" and the answer to that is: I'm awfully curious :P

I love the character & really enjoyed the abuse storyline, but I hate, hate, HATE the way it was entwined with the Adelle storyline. I am, by no means, an Adelle fan. Infact I am entirely anti, as two of my most favourite singular characters lost their identity & originality in the vacuum known as 'Adelle'. It seems we do agree on something. lol!

Yay! :P

I Love Todd as an actor, I love the character Aden

I Love Jessica, I love Belle as a character.

I Love adelle.

But I have to agree, I know how devastating and emotional concept of abuse is, despite Todd being a great actor he just didnt nail that scene when he told Belle about the abuse. I didnt cry. And I'm a person who cries very easily.

But I have to say no offence Valli but it does get annoying hearing you say repeativly that you hate Aden and Belle, we know that. Do you have to keep saying that? You're not going to change anyone's opinion about a character. And there's no point in debating it, you have your opinion and we have ours.

Archived