Waterloo Road

Guest Laura

Wow the Kelly’s were brave. If it had been me I would have had serious reservations about going back to school considering what Earl did but the point about things not being any better if they switched schools was a valid one. I was a bit surprised with events in that episode. I was definitely expecting them to sack Mason or at least put pressure on her to resign. And was expecting her to very nicely suggest that it would be better if Rose quit her job and her kids went to another school. Good on her for being fair. Quite correctly Earl killed Maxine not Sam or Marley. Was not happy with Bolton at all for laying into him like that but he came good in the end when he fessed up to knowing about Earl bringing a firearm into school before. And we get to see Denzil again. I’m glad Mason decided to stay and I look forward to seeing have things unfold regarding her sister and her upcoming wedding.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really liked Flick and Marley too but you can’t really blame her for being upset. She’s been hurt twice. First when she pleaded with him to give things another go and he looked her in the eye and told her he didn’t love her. And then it reached the point when he practically told her to get lost when she came across as…desperate. After that her own Dad admitted to paying him off so he would break up with her. I actually don’t blame Marley for that because believe it or not he was putting his family before himself as the money allowed them to rent a place and stay together where they were virtually on the streets. But I still think her behaviour is very understandable.

Philip actually went up in my estimation after that episode because a lot of people in his position would have slept with her in a situation like that given the opportunity (if I was his age I probably would). But he decided not to because a) he didn’t want to take advantage of her and b) He wanted everything to be for the right reasons. I think that says a lot about his character as he was under quite a bit of pressure that day to lose his virginity (as I believe it was his 16th). I’m actually really enjoying some of the scenes with him and Bolton. I have to admit I was cracking up about 3 weeks ago when they the model turned up and Philip went up to her to ask her out, Bolton pushed him and he accidently groped her. I didn’t mind the stuff with his mother (what possessed her when she was going to marry Eddie and commit bigamy for the second time).

I really, really like Mason. As I’ve said before she ALWAYS tries to see the good in people and does what’s best for the pupils. I like Eddie too and even Tom who I didn’t like at first I’ve warmed to since the change of attitude towards Rose. The only person I don’t like at the moment is Kim. She really gets on my nerves. She is so up herself, high and mighty and sanctimonious. It’s really annoying watching her constantly take the moral high ground again and again and she has the gall to act like that when she illegally brought a baby over from Rwanda. I actually don’t mind that she did that (because it was for the right reasons) but what frustrates me is the way she acts as though she’s so perfect. She’s always right, everybody else is always wrong. And I find it quite satisfying that Eddie doesn’t appear to like her either but I’m guessing his attitude towards her will change over time.

Since Early Kelly’s departure I like that the producers have tried to focus more on some of the other characters rather than making the show all about him and his family.

Funny enough I only watched the first episode of this series because of the trailer that showed Early with a gun and ever since I haven’t missed an episode. I’m really enjoying it at the moment.

Wahay Waterloo Road! It's brilliant! I've been watching since the end of the first series.

I miss Jack though. He was great!

I totally understand why Flick's upset... but Marley's great. Just forgive and forget, girl. ;)

And yea, I like Philip now. :o I thought it was clever actually. He said something earlier about not even having the choice to stay a virgin... and then he got it. And he picked the right option!

I'm a little bit worried about Tom and Rose. I wouldn't mind anything happening between them if it wasn't for Tom's girlfriend. (Forgot her name. :P) I have a feeling something is brewing. I don't know. But the worst part is... part of me wants it to happen!

And Kim... well I'm quite disappointed with that. I was really happy when she was coming back, I liked her fiestiness! But now all I see is moany and (as you said slade) a woman who's so up herself. I think it's because Mr Trenaman (I THINK that was his name) isn't with her. Before... well... it was nice. He kind of neutralised her. Now she's just amazingly annoying. Oh, and her storyline? It can't turn out well. I wish it'd just get over and done with.

I want the PE teacher back! He comes back, right? I loved him. :) - Gah. I don't think he does. Bummer. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Philip needs to back off as far as Flick is concerned. I know he doesn’t mean anything by it but it is almost starting to look like borderline stalking. He should just stay away from her at least for the time being because I actually think she’s gone from respecting him to being repulsed by him now.

I got the impression that we were meant to feel sorry for Kim. I mean she’s risked everything to illegal bring a child from a war –torn country to give her a better life. The thing is I didn’t feel one iota of sympathy for her, simply because I dislike her so much. You see I felt that was a little bit of Karma there. How ironic that since her return she spent most of her time looking down and judging people (such as the model that came for the careers day) but she did something far worse. I guess she thought the ends justified the means. It’s interesting that there was a kind of reversal of roles between Eddie and Mason. Eddie who seemed to use any excuse to have a go at her seemed more sympathetic where as Mason came across as hardline. She’s finished. Even if she escapes criminal charges with the police, she’s almost certainly going to lose her job. Most of the parents will want to book thrown at her.

I really don’t know what to make of this whole thing with Tom and Rose. Clearly he wasn’t as bothered as he should have been when Davina left but I’m still trying to work out how he became attracted towards her because it obviously started whilst he was still going out with his girlfriend.

I do have a bit of respect for Donte as he was prepared to break up with his wife to look after his kid but I think when Chlo spends some time with her she will become emotionally attached and might reconsider her decision to give her up for adoption.

• 2 months later...

Love this show, soemtimes it a bit exaggerated but its hilarious, like when the teacher lied about her big house with a pool etc. and took all the pupils too it....as if!

Oh and when Maxine got shot it was so unexpected and i cried buckets! i love Denise Welch =]

I hated rose when she first came into it but loved her by the end of the series!

And Philip...well he was just plain weird and strange...didn't liek him at all!

• 2 months later...

I wasn’t expecting much from the first episode and there have already been 4 seasons but I have to say that I really enjoyed last night. Firstly noted the absence of certain key characters from last year –Dante, Chlo (who probably went to uni), Flick and Marley who I really loved as a couple. Also Jasmine, Eddie, Matt etc. Considering that Rose, Sambuca and Denzil are still in it, it would have been nice to have heard what happened to Marley and Flick but it’s early days. Similarly as Philip is still at the school I would have liked to have heard what happened to his mother (and if anything came from her being a serial bigamist) but I’m guessing she’s with Eddie as she was pregnant and he’s no longer there.

Anyway I thought it was a great idea to combine two schools and have quite liked the range of characters they’ve brought in. The clash of personalities between pupils and teachers was entertaining and could lead to interesting storylines. Really liked Lindsey and was quite a fan from the actress’s Emmerdale days. When she and her little sister were told that their dad was dead, Lindsey seemed shocked but not surprised. I wanted her to knock the stuffing out of Michaela as she was getting too mouthy. Also quite liked Jo and loved the way she put Steff I her place. I thought one of the new teachers, the "star pupil" was completely out of her depth and she is really going to struggle.

As always Kim’s stuck-up, self-righteous, I’m always right attitude continues to remind me why I’ve never liked her. Really liked the new Executive Head teacher and the stuff with Mason was great (don’t get me wrong because I actually really like Rachel but it was just good to see some tension). I do think Mason really cares about the kids but I feel a more hard-line approach should be adopted. I’m really looking forward too seeing how their relationship progresses throughout the season.

• 1 month later...

After the last series I didn’t think this one would be that good but it’s been great. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I was a bit disappointed with some of the characters they got rid off from last year but merging John Foster’s and Waterloo Road was a great idea and I love the mix of new characters as a result.

I’m glad they’re still trying to explore very real issues and the last three weeks or so has shown some real good storylines with Vicky skipping classes to work as a stripper to help pay for her father’s care, Chris the deputy head finding out threatening to expose her, Vicky resorting to blackmail with Chris’s career in jeopardy but in spite of that still helps her anyway. The storyline with the girl claiming she was being bullied (which turned out to be a figment of her imagination) really brought it home about the issues still surrounding mental illness for personal reasons.

The tension between Max and Rachel has been great. It’s obvious that Max has a real problem with her but Rachel has definitely gone up in my estimation, especially after the last episode. Max has shown himself to be quite unprofessional, hiring Helen because he was sleeping her even though she wasn’t up to the job (then trying to oust her to prevent her exposing him), favouring Kim most of the time because again he’s involved in a relationship with her and going round to Rachel’s place in an attempt to intimidate her (incidentally where was Philip when this was happening as he does live with her after all?). Max is very, very lucky because all Rachel had to do was call his wife (or someone on the board) and show them the DVD Helen left or even tell them about his threatening behaviour and he would be finished. For Max this whole thing seems to be one big power trip whereas Rachel genuinely seems to have everybody’s best interests at heart and refuses to lower herself to Max’s level.

Kim continues to annoy me even being on screen and her behaviour reminds me why I'll probably never like her. I’m so tired of her self-righteous holier-than-thou attitude. She’s going to live to regret getting back with Max but they both deserve each other.

I did feel really sorry for Helen especially the way Amy humiliated her but she was way out of her depth and shouldn’t have been offered the teaching job in the first place. Amy is just a horrible person. I can’t stand her and don’t think she has any redeeming qualities. Even Lindsey and Michaela who have both have quite a vicious side to them have shown times where they can be likeable. I’m glad everybody has seen her for who she is including her best mate. I’m also pleased Mason called her out about her behaviour.

Siobhan is so sweet. I really liked the way she told Amy to drop the matter when she was being blatantly spiteful and malicious to Helen and also the way she tried to console Helen when she started crying. She did the right thing blowing Amy out and I quite like her with Luke too.

I didn’t like Michaela at the start of the series then was more on her side than Lindsey but have warmed to her over the last couple of episodes. I quite liked the stuff with Ruby when she went into meltdown after her husband was declared bankrupt and Michaela helped her out during class and they seem to reach an understanding. Last episode she’s showed she’s got a hidden talent too. So if she can focus on her more positive aspects and drop this girl gang thing there’s hope for her.

Started off liking Lindsey especially the way she looked out for Ros but it seemed as though she developed a personal vendetta towards Michaela. I quite disliked her after she formed then headed the John Foster’s girl gang and humiliated Karla when all she was doing was trying to look out for Emily. It was almost as though Lindsey was jealous. I thought Mason was quite lenient with her and if not for the fact that her mother was up on a murder charge she might have wound up in serious trouble. There have been at least three opportunities where she’s been out of line but Mason has effectively shielded her from any further action. When we found out what her father did to her I did start to feel slightly more sympathetic and at least there is a reason for her behaviour and why she was so protective of her sister. I really like the way she looks out for Emily and the last episode she has been quite humble trying to patch things up with Jo and apologising for leaving her in the dark for the sake of the gang. She even apologised to Vicky when she lost it with her the other day.

Next week’s the trial and I can’t wait. Looks really good and I’m really looking forward to finding out what really happened that morning.

• 3 years later...

I absolutely love Waterloo Road, it is probably my favourite TV show of all time. I was so upset when Tom died but also I am looking forward to the new series and seeing how everyone is coping with it. Also I am looking forward to what will happen with Grantly now and the girls football team.

Archived