Opening Credits / Opening Theme Discussion

Dean

Seems now the only way to know if a character is permanent is to look at the closing credits.

Yes, I used to LOVE seeing a new character's new picture appear in the opening credits. It would be all the news in school the next day too "did you see Angel's/Shanon's/Selina's picture at the start of Home and Away last night? Whoopee". All my friends loved it too :lol:

I agree, its a real shame they've decided to go this route with the new credits. What's worse is the fact that this isn't even a new approach to the credits - they started just showing the title 'Home And Away' and no cast during Jack and Martha's wedding disaster, and that was nearly three years ago!

I was really looking forward to a whole new look and all of the permanent cast appearing with the character and actor names, and more importantly, the credits being shown at the beginning of EVERY episode, not just once in a blue moon. I also really wanted to see if Melody, Angelo, Kirsty and the new Austin family would be added. This is a real disappointment, the opening credits with the cast appearing has always been a part of what makes the show special. I understand that the new 2007 credits were very badly received, but they should have tried to improve them, not just give up completely, which is what it seems they've done.

Completely 110% agree with you. I am very disappointed before i even see them. I was really looking forward to seeing the opening titles with the cast in again as it always was (until the last few years) and always should be!

Yes I used to really enjoy seeing the new characters being added to the opening titles but that has now changed after all these years :( It was almost like tradition waiting for the new character to be added to the titles and now it is no more.It makes me sad and angry.

Why cant we have titles like the 06 ones!!

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why cant we have titles like the 06 ones!!

Because they're cheesy and awful :P I'd rather have the castless style than revert back to that smiley CGI nonsense, but I do wish they'd attempt another castfull style, or atleast run a competiton which lets US pitch ideas for credits and the winning idea (voted by fans) is created and broadcast. That would be fun.

Don't watch them on sunrise!!!! After all that waiting it'll be a little silly to just give in and watch them on sunrise when the actual show is on the same day, trust me, its MUCH better seeing them for the first time at the start of an episode instead of a breakfast programme, AVOID :P

I think we should start a petition straight after Monday's show. I know people will tell me I should give them a chance but I just can't stand castless credits and the fact they've gotten rid of "you know we belong together".

Mistified, I agree about the anticipation of a new character in the opening credits. I remember I stayed off school one day when I was about 13, many moons ago cos I was so excited about the new credits I knew would be on that night. It was actually the start of the 95 season and the funny thing is I would have been home from school hours before the show even started! I remember sometimes they would give away future stories, like Emily Symons being in the credits before she even came back on screen, Pippa and Michael holding hands walking along the beach before they got together, and the times they stuffed things up like not adding Zoe McAllister to the credits in 05 and putting Kate Ritchie in the credits at the start of 07 when the whole world was talking about Sally's stabbing - everyone knew then she would survive.

I am glad they are bringing the credits abck to Palmie but they should have brought back the credits of yesteryear with the cast on Palmie.

When you look at the way most television shows are going, I think it's quite an acheivement we're getting credits at all - most have all but done away with them now. With that in mind you really have to ask yourself whether you'd prefer castless credits or no credits at all. Personally I'd rather have castless than nothing just because the theme song is so iconic, and should always precede the show in my opinion. Whilst I'm sure we'd all love the full song and credits with cast on, we have to face the reality that it just isn't going to happen in today's media climate - it's all about getting straight into the action to ensure viewers don't switch over, and creating extra advertising space.

My only concern is that, if the opening five notes are now, is the theme tune going to get any form of introduction or is it going to feel like we've been plonked in halfway through the song? I realise we have of course, I just hope it doesn't sound that way.

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen them.

Just because they are 15 seconds short doesn't mean they couldn't include the cast.

Obviously we all seem to want them the full length, but because we have to go with 15 seconds, I think it's a better idea to go straight to 'Hold Me in...', because trying to mesh Ýou know we belong together' and the chorus would just sound tacky and very cut and paste.

Yeah I remember the credits were a huge deal when they were on in the 90's, it was always spoken about at school the next day and were a feature on the episode we all expected and wanted.

Oh with the re-cap music, I just went to the official site and caught the re-cap of the cliffhanger that will presumably be shown in the return episode, and it sounds like there is quite a funky electric guitar sound playing which seems pretty cool.

Archived