Opening Credits / Opening Theme Discussion

Dean

Overall I like the new credits. :)

The song is a little odd being cut down so much but it's better than no song at all. And it is good to have the female singer back too, even though she doesn't feature much.

It would have been nice for the cast to appear in the credits but what they have settled on is the next best thing. I love the colours and the images they have used. The way they go into the breaks is very different (with the random rectangles, etc) but I'll get used to it.

One other thing I'm not sure about is the Home and Away logo being off centre...... it kinda bugs me..... but that's probably my OCD coming out! :P

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the hour or so since my last attack (:P) I've actually began to like them......probably because I watched the dreadfully plastic 2007 titles with that awful theme song, it seems like what we have now is far superior. I noticed Alf, or someone I'm choosing to belive is Alf, fishing on the rocks, so they don't seem so bad now. I think they're alot classier and artistic than any other soap opening, particularly those terrible british ones.

The more I listen to the new version, the more it sounds very much like an updated version of the original song.

I love the song. It's FAR too short but it's the best version we've had since they originally lost the duet. The vocals and arrangement itself - 10/10.

Sadly though I can't say I'm raving about the credits. They're not Home & Away credits... but when you consider that it's five years now since the Sutherlands fell down the mineshaft and we got treated to that CGI cheese-a-thon titles that was 2004-6, the show's changed a lot since then - and watching the characters inanely similing seconds before being beside themselves over the fact that their loved one's just carked it is somewhat incongorous I guess.

From that point of view, it'll work. As a mood-setter, they don't work.

It is however, a fair compromise if it means they'll be on EVERY episode.

The breakbumpers work really well though, although I can see Five having a pig of a time editing them out.

My turn to say something now. After watching them over and over again the credits seem very bland and very un-home and away. To me, Home and Away has always been about 2 things. The first obviously is the show itself and the things that occur in the show, and the other is the theme/credits.

A thing about the opening theme is that we are thrown straight into "Hold me in your arms...." First thing that came to my head: "Where is the (now) infamous beginning line "You Know We Belong Together"? This line makes Home and Away, I mean just think about it. It links the Fletcher family to the theme, and then it also links the rest of the cast that begin intertwining with the Fletcher family. Over time it has changed and we've gone through the Nash Saga, The Sutherlands, The 2nd Fletcher era and now we have arrived in a new era with Miles at the healm. That line still intertwines with the characters of this show, and now it no longer exists.

The second thing I thought was there is no cast at all, ok it was bad enough in 2007 that they removed the character/actor names, but to actually remove them alltogether is the most stupidest idea they have ever came up with. Think about it, from day dot there has been a cast displayed in the 'Opening Credits'. I wouldn't even call these opening credits, i'd call them an opening bar, actually you know what because im so disappointed in it, i wouldnt call them anything.

And don't get me started on theme, I think the whole thing is very woeful, and if you actually listen to the themes on the main site the closing theme is longer than the opening. Isn't it meant to be the other way around?

To be honest, I think we need a petition or something for seven to create a longer, cast added opening credits. I mean if they can remove an awful singer (not that I minded Israel's version) im sure they can fix opening titles. Also another thing, the last opening credits only went for around 30 seconds or so, does it really matter if they lose an extra 30 seconds episode time? I mean its 30 seconds, and after watching that ident/promo thing about Packed to the rafters, that would be perfect for home and away (an extra 5 seconds wouldnt hurt) and it can still have the same tune, but the cast added and because of the extra 5 seconds they can add the first line. If this was to happen I'd be satisfied, but what they have dished out to us now is absolutely crap.

Again I think its time for a petition, or something.... Suggestions anyone?

Although I'd rather have the full theme & cast credits, this is what we've got and it doesn't seem all that bad to be honest. What would you rather have - this or no credits at all like most of last year? I know I'd rather have the shorter one! :)

Archived