Who Was You Favorite Pippa

Guest j.laur5

I had to move this page to here so i just like to hear who you thought was better Pippa.

I Love Debra Lawence i think she made most tounching secenes and she was so mummsy and love how she always thought of others. But i love Vanessa Downing more as Pippa. I felt Vanessa as Pippa seem to have so much passion about being forster mum she had mummsy warth lively spark about her she was always so postive. And i found Debra Lawence very negtive at Times but thats what i think. What matters is what you think . I think it whould of been better when Vanessa left the series to have write Pippa charceter out like example Pippa had to go look after her sick mum or something. and bring Debra Lawence as new charcter like Sally long lost mother who tured out to been alive or Pippa sister or something.Thats why Vanessa Downing never return to home and away. But if Vanessa wasit recast and her charcter was wirrten out Vanessa may of diecide to return in couple years they turck becouse i rember reading somewhere she was out of work for whole year. Then we whould of had both Vanessa and Debra on show at same time or if did not of happend then she whould of return to guess star.

But does anyone know why Vanessa Downing left home and away.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry to say I didn't watch the first few years so the only experience I've had of the Vanessa Downing Pippa is the odd clip or episode I've caught here and there.I'd have thought after eight years as a regular and another ten of guest appearances Debra Lawrence had pretty much made the part her own but then some people will always prefer the original.

From what I've seen of the Vanessa Downing version she seemed a lot sparkier and livelier and, in her behaviour, younger.Debra Lawrence was a more calm, maternal presence.They both had difficulty with bad news and I agree that towards the end, having lost two husbands and an infant son, Pippa did have a tendency to expect the worst.Although it's hard to imagine the Debra Lawrence version erasing every trace of Dodge from the house like Vanessa Downing did.I don't think it's fair for me to pick a favourite without having more to compare them.The idea of bringing in Debra as a new character instead of recasting Pippa is an interesting one but they'd have to have been very careful how they did it, maybe making her an old friend of Pippa that she asked her to look after things.

And from what I understand, Vanessa quit because she was upset about Roger Oakley being axed.(Not that that stopped him coming back...)

There's a discussion about this in another board, I dont think you can compare them really, whilst each actor had their own portrayal of the same character, the core of the character was always the same - devotion to the kids, warm heart...etc Vanessa's Pippa could be quite stubborn too but had a more 'cool' guardian type, and imo was less 'emotional' about things, whereas Debra's was much more 'mumsy'.

Debra's Pippa defines Home and away for me. She epitomises everything which was best about Home And Away during its glory years. I love it when she returns. She IS Home and Away far more than Sally or Alf or any other character in in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Debra definitely. She had a motherly, homely feel about her that Vanessa didn't. If Vanessa stayed in the role I probably would have loved her but I reckon Debra did a much better job.

I remember the widespread disbelief that they had replaced Pippa! It was at a time when only American soaps did it, and also when H&A didn't get that much press over here, before the net and soap magazines. One night a red haired woman appeared in the credits and we were meant to believe it was Pippa! I was horrified and never thought I'd warm to her! It was the first time a major soap was brave enough to do it, and looking back it worked. If they had wrote Pippa out when Vanessa left we probably wouldn't be here now. Of course, all the soaps do it now, I hate when it happens (like when Bec was replaced) but sometimes it works for the best like with Pippa, or Tracey in Corrie.

Even though I didn't watch the show at the time, I remember all the furore when Pippa was recast.I was surprised by all the fuss to be honest, Neighbours had been doing it for years(most of the Robinson kids got recast at some point, one of them twice).I think it was because the UK soaps tend to steer clear of it except with the younger characters or ones who haven't been seen for a while.

Archived