Geoff/Melody

Jody

I think the fact that, as I recall, the scene ended with a massive close-up of Belle indicates what the important thing was.(At the very least, it was in there.)Presumably she was supposed to be thinking "Oh, he's so nice" as opposed to "Why are all my scenes with this guy again?"

And I agree with the comments about Angelo:A lot, if not necessarily all, Aden/Belle fans hated the guy for getting in the way of their perfect(/hideously mismatched/totally dysfunctional)couple right from the start, using Aden's childish "stupid loser cop" mantra, hating him for arresting Aden(?!)and calling him "sleazy" for dating Belle and Charlie so close together while Belle was sleeping with Aden behind his back.

Hehe.:P Your posts always make me laugh, even those Aden bashing ones (that's an achievement considering i'm an Aden superfan), they are always so witty.

Anyway RR1 you have never been so spot on, as you are in this last post of yours. It is obvious to me, even as an Aden fan, that the scene where he comforts Mel during her panic attack, was conveniently placed to make Belle realise what a wonderful guy Aden was. That he had dealt with his issues, through the counselling and was now such a kind, caring, considerate human being. I'd say in that final, scene ending close up shot, she was definitely supposed to be thinking the former of your two options.

And Angelo was definitely being vilified in the same vein that Sam was during the JM saga. As very rarely were the hatred posts and putdowns such as 'loser cop' linked to bad actions on Angelo's part. Most of them came before there was any ambiguity with his character. As Krystal has already explained above, it is always the case that the majority of the fans of a supercouple will automatically hate any person that comes between that supercouple getting together. Objectivity towards that third character & their actions usually goes out the window. Infact, the writers actually use this love triangle thing intentionally, as that is the reaction they are after.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much, Anaya, for agreeing with me because I actually felt really bad about that post.I stand by the two points and I'm glad other people felt the same but there were a couple of occasions when I was worried I'd overstepped the mark and just started making petty comments instead of constructive arguments.It's the Red Ranger equivalent of chair-smashing:It feels right at the time but afterwards you're a bit ashamed of yourself.

Anyway...In a vague attempt to drag this conversation back onto topic, I wouldn't want Geoff and Melody back together for at least 3-6 months, I wouldn't want Melody and Aden together for at least two years and if either happened they'd have to make sure it doesn't result in Melody becoming an object of hatred for fans of other pairings.

I'll agree with the sentiment that Geoff and Melody are past the time and place that they would be good together, i think their previous-selves (Innocent Geoff, Pre-Axel Melody) worked rather well, they could be sweet and fun without all the other drama couples got loaded with but now far too much has happened and there's no going back to that, their characters are too different and any relationship between them now I can't see working.

There may have been a handful of people who hated him from the beginning (just because he was with Belle), which is stupid, but that was it. Most still liked him, preferred if she would go back to Aden, but still liked Angelo. Reading back on this forum and elsewhere, it's clear that his character never suffered too much backlash from when he first dated Belle.

I'm sorry but I beg to differ. It was a lot more than a handful and with comments like "he's so slimy with Belle and Charlie" and "loser cop" and it was all way before anything to do with the infamous chair incident. It happens when couples become popular and I don't think anyone can really deny that the person who gets in the way isn't unjustifiably slammed by a lot of people. It's a syndrome of every soap. It is their right not to like him even if it because he wasn't Aden (or whatever other reason mentioned)but I'm allowed to comment on it and from where I'm standing there was and still is a lot of anti Angelo purely because of his relationship with Belle. I;m not saying I havn't read a lot of good reasons not to like it but most are just because of Aden and Belle being apart. I don't want Melody next on the list.

Off course you are. I'm sorry if my post made it sound like I was attacking you for your opinion. I was just using it to add mine. And I just feel, considering some of the other characters that have come between a supercouple, Angelo seems to have gotten of pretty easy in the beginning. It was his actions from the trail and onwards were the real hate started. And the chair incident just pushed it to an all time high. Melody seems to have gotten tens times more hatred thrown at her, mostly, for intereferring in Nic and Geoff's relationship. I guess it is just that we have a difference of opinion on this. As for those fans who just hate someone, for the sake of it, because they come between a couple, I find that absolutely annoying as well. But unfortunetely there nothing we can do to stop them. And making assumptions about everyone who doesn't like him based on that group of people isn't helping either, and is really unfair as well. And I feel this happens with alot of couples and not just the supercouples. But I also feel it should be someones right to critisize a character for a valid reason without having people write it of as nothing but being bitter about him/her keeping your favourite couple apart. And I feel that's happening with Angelo alot. Because if anyone doesn't like him, even for a valid reason, they get accused of just being an Adelle fan who just hates him for no reason. I think all this needs to work both ways. The fans of a supercouple needs to learn to form an opinion on a character from their actions, not whether their breaking up your favourite couple. And the ones who don't do this, need to respect that some people have genuine reasons for not liking this character and stop making assumptions, and decisions about them based on one group fans who can't see past their favourite couple. (BTW only the first 8 lines was in reponse to Jamey-Maria's post. Nothing else was about her. The rest was just my personal opinion on everything about some of this forum and others, not about her at all. I respect her opinion, and actually enjoy reading most of her posts, even the ones I disagree with.)

Anyways back to Melody. I agree with what someone said about Melody and Aden. I think friendship was the wrong word to describe it. It's was just the first word that came to me when thinking about it. It should have been interaction. It's their interaction I love. Their scenes feel real. I love how he tries to help her, as much as he can. There's always a smile on face during their scenes. It comes of as sweet without trying to. It doesn't feel like the writers are trying to make them look cute. Celeste and Todd scenes look very natural. I hope we get more scenes in the future.

As for that comforting scene, while I did say I agreed they put Belle in it to see how good he was with Melody, I still think it wasn't the only purpose of it. Just one of the reasons. I think it focused more on Geoff's reaction to seeing Aden comforting her. They spent more time on his reaction. As much it was about Belle, right in the end, it did seem to focus more on Geoff's reaction. Anyways maybe it's time, for me, to stop spending so much time on this scene and Angelo in the Melody/Geoff thread. Since Geoff and Melody was such a lovely pairing, they deserve to have the focus on them. It's why I created the thread in the first place. :)

Edited by Jody

I agree with Karter, i cannot see them working at all now. Before yes, they were a good couple (the most obvious but never mnd) because of their beliefs and morals but now, i just can't see it. I personally would rather Geoff be with someone who can make him see things from another perspective and challenge his beiefs like Nicole. Not with someone who in the long run could make him more judgemental and boring!

I agree with Karter, i cannot see them working at all now. Before yes, they were a good couple (the most obvious but never mnd) because of their beliefs and morals but now, i just can't see it. I personally would rather Geoff be with someone who can make him see things from another perspective and challenge his beiefs like Nicole. Not with someone who in the long run could make him more judgemental and boring!

I'm surprised that someone actually found the pairing of this two to be obvious. I was actually quite surprised by them going down this route. Because it's always the ever predictable goodboy/badgirl, or the other way around storyline. Infact they rarely ever pair anyone who as the same beliefs with each other on T.V. And if they do, one of them will always realise they have feelings for someone completely different while still with the one who's similiar to himelf/herself. Atleast here I'm glad they only introduced the idea of Geoff having feelings for Nicole once Melody was out of the picture. And while Melody was there, the first time around, it was her he wanted. Even when Nicole tried her hardest to get him. It's always that opposites attract theme, and while sometimes it actually still works, it's getting increasingly boring to watch since it happens in almost every show. This relationship (Geoff/Melody) was a refreshing change. Even if it didn't last long.

Edited by Jody

I'm surprised people didn't find it obvious :lol: i agree that the whole opposites attract thing is getting a tad boring but for me them being together would of made the characters dull cos i dont think they would face issues that they've faced since they've been apart i.e Geoff having his beliefs tested by Nicole and Melody doing the things she's doing now.

I also agree that at first it was refreshing but after a while they didn't interest me at all

It doesn't help that i've never liked Melody, so maybe thats clouding my judgement on this couple, who knows??!

Sorry to bring it up again for everyone who wants to talk about Geoff and Melody but I still don't really like the Aden/Melody interaction.To my mind, that's the ultimate "opposites attract" idea and it always seemed forced, unnatural and rather out of character.I just think they're too different and they wouldn't want anything to do with each other, not dislike each other exactly but just wouldn't have enough in common to keep spending time together.

I agree that I found Geoff and Melody getting together surprising.They didn't get off to the best of starts and, whatever the similarities in their beliefs, she didn't seem like the sort of person Geoff would go for.(He tends to be attracted to people like Nicole and Tam who are more obvious with their affections, for want of a better word.)Still sitting on the fence with regard the idea of getting them back together, maybe with everything they've been through since they've been apart they are actually now different enough for there to be a contrast.

Thank you so much, Anaya, for agreeing with me because I actually felt really bad about that post.I stand by the two points and I'm glad other people felt the same but there were a couple of occasions when I was worried I'd overstepped the mark and just started making petty comments instead of constructive arguments.It's the Red Ranger equivalent of chair-smashing:It feels right at the time but afterwards you're a bit ashamed of yourself.

Anyway...In a vague attempt to drag this conversation back onto topic, I wouldn't want Geoff and Melody back together for at least 3-6 months, I wouldn't want Melody and Aden together for at least two years and if either happened they'd have to make sure it doesn't result in Melody becoming an object of hatred for fans of other pairings.

Oh Red Ranger 1, what have Aden and Belle ever done to you? :lol: (I'm only joking) - as I've mentioned to you in a different thread I find your comments witty too and, even if sometimes they are very strongly put, they always lead to a very challenging and interesting exchange of opinions and I like that a lot. This is what makes the appreciation threads so good - how boring would they be if they were all just about how hot someone is or how cute a couple are when they kiss etc. (nothing wrong with this sort of comments obvioulsy but it is so much more interesting to discuss characters and their actions and how differently they are perceived by different viewers).

To go back to topic, I agree with you I would not want Goeff and Melody to get back together for a while, if they ever get back together at all. I liked them at the beginning but I feel like too much water has passed under the bridge and so much has happened. Melody is like a totally different person now - it's obvious that Goeff still cares about what happens to her but I don't think there are any other residual feelings. In a way, the Goeff/Nicole relationship is a more interesting one to watch develop as they are both such different personalities and I wonder whether it can actually work: will there be too many compromises to make on either side, will one of them have to change too much, will they find a common ground once the "honeymoon" period is over and they have to deal with day-to-day issues? Goeff and Melody are more similar and therefore maybe less compelling to watch, at least for me.

As for Aden/Melody (apart from the fact that I don't want to see Aden with anyone other than Belle if not forever for at least a very long time) I don't think it would work. I like their unlikely friendship a lot though and I hope Aden plays some sort of part in her recovery.

Sorry to bring it up again for everyone who wants to talk about Geoff and Melody but I still don't really like the Aden/Melody interaction.To my mind, that's the ultimate "opposites attract" idea and it always seemed forced, unnatural and rather out of character.I just think they're too different and they wouldn't want anything to do with each other, not dislike each other exactly but just wouldn't have enough in common to keep spending time together.

I believe even the most unlikely relationships(romantic or platonic) can come about when you put two people in certain situations. And that's what happened with Aden and Melody. Granted I wouldn't want to see them hanging out with each other(that would be too weird), and becoming bestfriends or anything, but more sharing some scenes together whenever they run into each other sounds good. Although I don't have much hope for more interaction from them. I am still angry as hell about how selfishly Aden acted towards her in the finale. I hated him in that scene. He made me even more angrier then he did in that scene with Belle, in the episode before the finale, and that's saying something since I felt the need to strangle him there. He really got on my nerves. And going from that scene, in the finale, I don't think the writers are planning to keep with their interaction.

I guess one of the reasons I preferred Geoff/Melody over Geoff/Nicole is because I'm tired of watching the same old 'lets see how they can make their relationship work since they are so different' storyline. There are some rare times in television were that storyline can still work, but 90% of the time all I'm left thinking is 'here we go again'. Another one of those storylines. It's just so overdone. It's not interesting, to me, anymore. It was along time ago, but now it's just boring as hell.