Shattered Glass

Guest Louise_2983

Interesting guesses about Aden's wife! I wanted someone you would never expect but did I succeed?

Chapter 2

“Cancel the Vogue shoot too” Belle instructed her assistant as she slumped down onto the bed her phone pressed to her ear.

“Oh and feed Darcy too will you? The last thing I need to come back to after all this is a dead Darcy”

“Anything else? Do you want me to sleep with Johnny while I’m there too? Save you another job?”

“Ha ha Millie, very funny” Belle sarcastically told the younger female who had become her closest friend since she had employed her almost two years ago. She didn’t want to think about how the only friend she had was the one she paid.

“I don’t even know why you two have got a cat, I spend more time in that apartment than either of you”

“Just feed the damn cat!” Belle laughed in an attempt to gloss over her friend’s comments. The cracks in her relationship were not a matter she wished to address in that moment.

“Don’t worry, the cat will be alive and still peeing all over your furniture when you get back” the American girl chuckled.

“You are coming back aren’t you?”

“Belle?”

“Belle?”

“Of course I’m coming back Mil, I’m just not sure when right now” she confessed quietly.

“Are you ok?” her friend asked sensitively.

“I’m fine. It’s not about me it’s about Irene”

“And I’m really sorry to hear that she’s sick and all but I don’t know her Belle. But I do know you. Are you all right?” she questioned again.

“I’m upset obviously” Belle admitted, “But I’ll be ok”

“What do you want me to tell the press?”

“The press?”

“Yeah you know, newspapers, TV, the mass media?” Millie replied sarcastically. “What shall I say if they ask where you are? Why you’ve cancelled all these engagements?”

“Just tell them the truth I guess” Belle shrugged her shoulders even though Millie couldn’t see her.

“They’re not interested in me anyway. They’re interested in Johnny”

“You know you’re just as famous as he is these days. If you suddenly go awol they’ll be saying he’s killed you before you know it. Maybe we should issue a statement?” she started to get carried away.

“No statement! Only in your mind would me going away for a while lead to Johnny being accused of murder Mil” Belle chuckled.

“And anyway if he was arrested at least I’d know where he was for once!”

“Have you spoken to him?” Millie asked cautiously.

“I’ve left a few not so polite messages on his phone but he won’t reply if he knows what’s good for him. Anyway he’s touring”

“Right, so from one city straight to the next?”

“One drunken stupor to the next more like it” Belle sniped as her friend laughed.

“I think he’s really lucky right now that he picked a girl from another continent” Millie chuckled, “Or you might be the one up for murder”

“Nah, he’s not worth a life sentence” Belle replied as someone gently knocked against the door. She ended the conversation, reminding Millie once again to feed her cat, before rising from the bed and

lightly tip toeing towards the door.

“I brought you a drink” Annie told her, as she handed over a steaming mug of coffee.

“Thank you, just what I needed” Belle accepted the mug and took a huge gulp.

“I have to take an assignment into uni in a little while” Annie informed her, her gaze wandering all over the room rather than make any form of eye contact with Belle.

“But Leah’s here and Geoff will be here soon. He’d be here now he just had to take Mel and Sam to the hospital”

“Hospital?!” Belle almost choked on the mouthful of coffee she had just taken. She spluttered painfully and turned a strange shade of red as Annie hurried to clarify.

“No, they’re both ok. It’s just a check up, what with Sam being so premature the doctors like to keep a close eye on him but he’s doing fine” Annie explained.

It had been touch or go when Sam had entered the world only six months into Melody’s pregnancy but to Geoff, and everyone else’s, relief both his wife and his son had pulled through.

“That’s good” Belle sighed as she finally stopped coughing and her complexion began to turn to its normal tan rather than the lobster shade it had temporarily converted to.

“So how are you enjoying being an aunt?”

“It’s great, Sam’s so cute” Annie smiled, still avoiding Belle’s gaze.

Belle cautiously slid her mug down onto the desk and looked directly at the younger female.

“Annie, are we going to talk about this or are you just going to avoid any form of eye contact at all whilst I’m here?”

“It’s none of my business” Annie mumbled almost inaudibly.

“I’d never have guessed that from the way you’re acting”

“I can’t just pretend it didn’t happen Belle. Just because Irene’s sick it doesn’t change anything. You left, you didn’t have to see how it affected people”

“I knew you’d have trouble having any respect for me after what happened Annie but of all people I thought you would be the one most willing to forgive me. Isn’t that what your beliefs are all about?

Forgiveness?”

“Yeah” Annie nodded.

“Forgiveness and repenting your sins. And from what I can see Belle you don’t seem sorry at all. If you were sorry you would have come back before now”

“How dare you Annie?” she shook her head, anger surging up inside of her.

“How dare you judge me? You have no idea! No idea at all! Do you really think I wanted this? That it doesn’t almost kill me every single day? “

“I just thought-“

“Well don’t! Don’t think about it because it’s absolutely nothing to do with you! You swan around here with your beliefs expecting everyone to live up to some unrealistic moral code! I’m not God Annie!

I’m human and I make mistakes just like anyone else and maybe I haven’t handled them in the best way but I handled them how I could without completely falling apart. I won’t apologise for any of it,

not to you because I have never done anything to hurt you”

“Belle! Irene can hear all this you know!” Leah scolded as she entered the room, her expression a mixture of concern and anger.

“Sorry” Belle replied genuinely.

“Annie and I just needed to get a few things straight, didn’t we?”

“Yeah” Annie nodded timidly.

“Is Irene ok?” both girls asked in unison, smiling at each other as they realised they were at least still in agreement about one thing.

“She’s cheerful today actually” Leah half smiled,

“Although you two aren’t helping with that”

“Sorry” they both spoke in unison again.

“I’m going to go and see her” Annie murmured before hastily scuttling out of the room.

“Go easy on her Belle. She’s had a really hard time watching Irene go through this”

“I know” Belle sighed.

“I probably shouldn’t have reacted like that, I guess I’m just a little on the defensive right now. I expect people here to judge me so I’ve just been waiting to snap”

“From what I heard Belle, no one here judges you more than you seem to have judged yourself”

“I can never make it right Leah” she almost whispered, “What I did”

“Belle, it’s not as simple as right and wrong you know that. You weren’t yourself”

“No I wasn’t” she shook her head regretfully.

“But that’s no excuse for staying away for 5 years is it?”

“Well you’re back now, do something about it” Leah suggested delicately.

“I don’t think he’ll let me” she replied honestly as she pulled down the window she had opened during the night, having found it impossible to sleep with it locked.

“There’s only one way to find out” Leah smiled weakly before exiting the room leaving Belle with her hand over the window catch and her temple resting against the cold pane of glass.

The bedroom hadn’t been hers for a long time but it held more memories than anywhere else in Summer Bay for her and she had struggled to stay in there, alone, with only her guilt and shame for

company, the previous night.

She let out a sigh, her warm breath fogging up a small patch of the window as she realised Leah was right. Before she had a chance to change her mind, she grabbed her bag and hurried out of the house.

She stopped dead in her tracks as the small family unit exited The Diner. Although she was on her way to see him she hadn’t expected to stumble across him, or them, in the middle of the street.

Her heart began to pound just a little bit more rapidly against her chest as she allowed her eyes to examine him in minute detail secure in the safety of her distance from them. He was older but physically he was no different to the last time she had been able to look at him, to hold him in her arms, not knowing that it would be the last time.

Her stomach flipped as his face wrinkled into that familiar smile and his eyes sparked. Her heart broke a little as she followed his gaze to his wife beside him, his arm slung casually around her shoulders. She was smiling back up at him, content and happy as they joked together.

A teenage boy in the all too familiar Summer Bay High uniform bid them a quick farewell and headed off in the direction of the school with a small group of friends. Belle had to blink a few times to truly take in the fact that the cute little boy who had single handedly exposed the beginning of her relationship with Aden all those years ago was now a stroppy teen, embarrassed to be seen with his parents.

She was sure her heart stopped as Aden and Kirsty suddenly looked down in unison and she mirrored their actions to discover a beautiful little boy laughing back up at his parents. With golden hair and piercing blue eyes he was the image of his father and her heart ached as Aden hugged his son goodbye before the cute little boy wrapped his arms around Kirsty’s neck and she placed an affectionate kiss on his soft cheek as she carried him away, both of them waving to Aden as they departed.

She watched Aden smile as he walked towards his car, jangling his keys playfully in his hands.

“Morning Mr Jefferies” a small huddle of teenage girls almost sang in appreciation, fluffing their hair and pouting, as he passed them, Belle couldn’t help but laugh.

“Morning girls” he smiled knowingly without pausing as he continued on his way to his car. Their gazes all followed his pert behind with appreciative glances towards each other and Belle shook her head in amusement.

As he slipped his key into the door she knew it was now or never.

“Mr Jefferies?” she asked suspiciously as she stepped out behind him. He froze instantly at the sound of her voice, his hand hovering over the car door handle.

“Don’t tell me you’re a teacher now?”

Slowly he rotated his body until they were finally face to face. She gulped as his eyes met hers for the first time in years.

His gaze flickered over her face as a flurry of butterflies rushed around her tummy.

“I get it” he nodded to himself, ignoring her question.

“You’re here for Irene”

“Of course I am” she replied defensively as if he was insinuating that there was a possibility she might not have returned even though Irene was ill.

“Five years Belle” he snarled.

“Five years and even now you’re only back because Irene’s...” he broke off not daring to complete his sentence in the same tone. Out of concern for Irene rather than Belle.

“Say it” she urged, needing to hear it, still struggling to believe that it was real.

He remained silent, his eyes not moving from hers.

“Say it” she urged again.

“Dying” he half whispered as Belle gulped and bit back the flurry of tears threatening to escape as her eyes began to well up.

He moved slightly closer, his presence intimidating even though she didn’t believe he would ever hurt her. At least he wouldn’t have before.

“Do not expect me to feel in the slightest bit sorry for you” he spat as she saw in his eyes how much he truly despised her.

“Irene’s been really good to me and I won’t do anything to make this harder for her than it already is but I will not pretend to care that you’re back here. Because I don’t Belle, I stopped caring so long

ago that I can’t even remember what it felt like”

“Well I do” she protested, trying to seem indifferent, as though his words hadn’t stung her.

“You left Belle” he snapped, venom flashing across his face.

“You walked away without a word. You left and I dealt with it. If you haven’t then maybe it’s time you did”

“That’s why I’m stood here” she almost whispered.

“Alone Belle” he told her angrily.

“Deal with it alone because I don’t give a damn anymore”

“Aden I-“ she tried to protest.

“No Belle!” he interrupted.

“Just stay away from me. Stay away from me, stay away from my family and do us all a favour. Next time you leave, because let’s face it we all know you will, don’t bother coming back!”

She stood back as he climbed into the car and sped off without another glance at her. Shaking slightly she wasn’t sure why she was shocked. In every variation of the conversations she had imagined

she would have with Aden if she ever came back he had always been angry. Hurt and confused too but always angry. Silently she wandered down the pier as tears began to slowly flow down her

perfectly blushered cheeks. As she perched on the end of the pier, her legs dangling off the edge she glimpsed a familiar boat out on the water and a flood of memories came gushing back.

His hands slipped around her waist and pulled her back into his chest as she took a sip of champagne and felt his lips form a smile against her cheek. Hungrily he nibbled her ear lobe as she giggled, before placing tender kisses down her soft neck. Gazing out at the crystal clear blue waters encircling them she sighed in contentment.

“So are you going to tell me what this is all in aid of?” he asked, curiosity getting the better of him.

“Do I need a reason?” she teased, twisting her head to look back at him, her fingertips tracing the rim of the champagne flute she clutched.

“No but...did I forget my birthday?”

“No!” she giggled.

“Did I forget your birthday?”

“No!” she laughed again shaking her head.

“Thank god for that” he wiped his forehead in mock relief and she slapped him playfully as she turned to face him, slipping her arms around his waist.

“Is it our anniversary? Of the first time we met?”

“Nope”

“Of our first date? Real or fake?” he laughed.

“Wrong!” she announced, smiling at his confusion,

“Ok I’ve got it, it’s the anniversary of the first time we ever had sex, I mean you would never forget that!” he winked suggestively.

“We’ve had sex?” she asked in mock surprise.

“That’s it, we’re over!” he pretended to be hurt as she placed gentle, butterfly kisses against his soft lips in an attempt to gain forgiveness for her comment.

“You must have a reason for all this” he told her, all apparently forgiven.

“Private, luxury boat trip, gourmet picnic, champagne, you even made me wear a suit”

His gaze slipped appreciatively over her body.

“And you’re wearing that dress, which you look gorgeous in by the way”

“And what colour is the dress?” she gave him a hint.

“White?” He replied still not getting in.

“Aden!” she laughed.

“Do I really need to spell it out?”

“It’s white” he repeated, gulping as reality finally dawned on him and she took both of his hands tenderly in hers.

“Aden today’s not your birthday or my birthday or an anniversary although I’m hoping it will be someday. Because that’s what today is. Someday Aden. Today is someday”

“Someday?” he gulped again and she nodded, a broad smile spreading across her face.

“About 2 years ago you asked me a pretty significant question. Do you remember what my answer was?”

“Yes I remember” he smirked.

“Your answer was no”

“Aden!” she giggled, stealing a kiss.

“My answer was someday. And today is someday. Aden Jefferies, I love you and I am so ready to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?”

He didn’t say a word. She felt her heart speed up in anticipation as he lowered his gaze and she struggled not to cry.

“I’m kidding!” he laughed looking back up at her.

“Of course I’ll marry you, Belle I’d marry you right this instant if I could!” he exclaimed kissing her gently.

“That’s really great” she laughed.

“Because we’re actually on our way to a little secluded island and all our family and friends are already there waiting to watch us get married...today”

“How long have you been planning all this?” he asked, slightly dazed and disbelieving.

“Not long” she smiled, kissing him tenderly, her arms looping around his neck.

“But you have about twenty minutes to change your mind so you need to be certain that you want to do this. Do you?”

“Belle” he smiled, pressing his lips to hers.

“I so do”

“Belle!” Rachel called from the end of the pier, suddenly bringing her back to reality. She jumped up instantly, registering the concern etched into her friend’s expression.

“What is it?” she asked, already knowing the answer.

“It’s Irene, you need to come now Belle”.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KIRSTY!!!!! EEEWWW

did they actually get married???? or did one of the back out

i find it quite hard to read this fic because i love aden and belle together so much but this fic is great!!!!

poor irene i hope she has a but more time left

update soon xxxxxx

Belle and Aden did get married. And obviously divorced at some point, although you'll have to wait a while to find out how that happened exactly.

I know I tend to put things in my fics that probably make a lot of Adelle fans feel uncomfortable but I hate to be predictable and I hope that people will stick with me anyway. Plus there will be flashbacks to the three years they were together between Stockholm Syndrome and when Belle left.

And yes Aden is married to Kirsty, but there are reasons why which will become apparent as the fic goes on and hopefully you'll get my logic!

I did not see Aden being married to Kirsty!

I am SO glad that Aden yelled at her! What he said was so true, even though i have no idea why she left or what happened, i understood why he said all those things completely. And this time i could actually feel that he was really angry at her!

that flash back was so sweet, but why did they get divorced! I would have thought they could have gotten through anything after everything that happened in Stockholm Syndrome???

And how did it come about that he married Kirsty????

Yet more questions!

Can't wait for another update! Soon please!!!! :D

I would never have guessed Kirsty! That's a shocker. I can't wait until you begin to tell us WHY it was her...

That flashback of the proposal/wedding [i don't know what to call it exactly] was great. I love how he was so confused. That's out Aden for you!

I'm glad that Aden didn't go easy on her, but I still cannot believe that she just up and left him. I cannot wait for the answer to why for that either!

The ending! What's happening with Irene?!

Cannot wait for more!

xoxo

Kirsty!My god, how did I forget Kirsty?Especially given that I was only a couple of steps away from getting really desperate and suggesting Morag...

And Geoff married Melody!Gosh, that's so cute.

Thanks for clarifying that Aden and Belle got married because I wasn't sure.Really want to know what happened/happens/is going to have happened...no, hang on, I've lost it.Looking forward to the next chapter!

Archived