Imponderables & Hypothetical Situations....

Guest xGlowingAngelx

If this is in the wrong place and should be in games, can a mod please move it? I wasn't sure where to put it...

Some of these boggled my brain (Although it's not difficult! :P )

1. Where exactly in the Nursery Rhyme did it say Humpty Dumpty was an egg?

It did not. When the rhyme was written, 'humpty dumpty' was a term used for a short, clumsy person. If such a person fell off a wall, they would not be damaged too much but an egg would be. The rhyme is taking the p!ss out of short people.

2. If I try to fail, but succeed, which have I done? You've succeded at failure.

3. Doesn't expecting the unexpected mean the unexpected is expected? This is true, which goes to show what you expect isn't always whats going to happen.

4. Is it bad luck to be supersticious? If you follow certain superstitions, for instance Friday the 13th is unlucky, then you will try everything in your power to make the day run smoothly. Therefore I actually think that it is good luck to be superstitious because you try to avoid bad luck.

5. When they say "Ladies and Gentlemen, please give it up for____", what exactly am I giving up? Giving up your appreciation in the form of sound caused by your hands colliding in the act commonly known as claspping.

6. If Cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? Since Cheese is an inanimate object and doesn't have the ability to speek due to the lack of vocal chords it doesnt say anything. If it did have the ability to say something then they could say what they please.

7. Why would you WANT to get blood out of a stone, anyway? Although this is just a common expression, you could want to get blood out of a stone if the stone was on teh site of a murder and blood had gotten on it.

8. Why does your nose run & your feet smell? Change of roles. Your brain got bored.

9. When French people swear, do they say "Pardon my English?" I'm not French, so I wouldn't know :P

10. When you get your picture taken with Mickey Mouse in Disney Land, does the person inside the suit smile? Depends on how the wearer of teh suit is feeling.

11. If toast always falls butter side down, should I just butter the other side instead? If one side is buttered it will fall on that side no matter what side was buttered. If both sides are buttered, obviously a buttered side would fall.

12. Why is it that when you sit up or sit down, the result is the same? When you sit down it usually implys that you are standing up. When you are told to sit up, it implys you are sloucking. When one sits down, one does not automatically enter the staye of slouching.

13. Would having 2 right feet make you a better dancer? Having two right feet and two left feet are the same, it would mess up your co-ordination so the answer is no.

14. Do postmen deliver their own mail, or does another postman do that and if so, who delivers THEIR mail? A postman is assigened a stack of mail, so they may deliver their own mail or someone else might. It's chance.

15. Why doesn't Postman Pat's van have a tax disc? I've never seen postman pat, so I cant comment.

16. Why can't you tickle yourself? Your body knows what is coming and protects itself from a reaction.

17. If a word is misspelled in the dictionary, how would we know? Why don't you google it, kthnxbi. :)

18. If shampoo comes in so man colours, why is the lather on your head always white? Marketing ploy.

19. Why is the alphabet in that order? Ignoring the smart-ass element, we may restate this as: Why is the alphabet in any (never mind some particular) prescribed order? Obvious (to me) answer: to make it easier for kids to memorize. It's working, too. Notwithstanding its inscrutable origins, ABC order as we know it now has survived more or less intact for upwards of 3,000 years.

please feel free to contribute if you have any you wish to add.....

Yes, I am utterly bored... :P

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of sporting questions:

1. If three babies are triplets, and five babies are quintuplets, how come three horses are a trifecta but two horses are a quinella?

2. Does the title "cox" in rowing have anything to do with those little shorts they wear?

3. What does the "hooker" on a football team REALLY do...?

4. Why is it called Boxing Day if everyone is watching cricket?

:unsure:

• 2 months later...

Okay, I'm gonna answer Amy's :P

1. Where exactly in the Nursery Rhyme did it say Humpty Dumpty was an egg? I always assumed he was a chocolate bar, but there you go.

2. If I try to fail, but succeed, which have I done? That actually confused me, so I guess I have failed that question.

3. Doesn't expecting the unexpected mean the unexpected is expected? No, because even though you are expecting it, you never expect it to happen when it does.

4. Is it bad luck to be superstitious? No.

5. When they say "Ladies and Gentlemen, please give it up for____", what exactly am I giving up? *sighs*

6. If Cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? "TIC TACS!!!"

7. Why would you WANT to get blood out of a stone, anyway? So you can say to people that it is possible to get blood out of a stone.

8. Why does your nose run & your feet smell? Because the world is a ****ed up place.

9. When French people swear, do they say "Pardon my English?" LOL. I doubt it. "Pardonez-moi mon Francais" Eh, no.

10. When you get your picture taken with Mickey Mouse in Disney Land, does the person inside the suit smile? No, he frowns because he's been in that suit all bloody day taking pictures with hyper children who run over to him and wrap themselves around his waist and start screaming.

11. If toast always falls butter side down, should I just butter the other side instead? You mean butter both sides? No, that's just gross.

12. Why is it that when you sit up or sit down, the result is the same? Because, in affect, you're doing the same thing. Sitting up would mean you're going from a straight lying position to a sitting position, and sitting down would mean you're going from a straight standing position to a sitting position.

13. Would having 2 right feet make you a better dancer? No, you'll still be the same as a person with two left feet. It's just left-feet discrimination.

14. Do postmen deliver their own mail, or does another postman do that and if so, who delivers THEIR mail? Postmen don't deliver their own mail, they pick it up at the depot and bring it home.

15. Why doesn't Postman Pat's van have a tax disc? Because anybody in their right mind wouldn't question Postman Pat.

16. Why can't you tickle yourself? Because you're expecting it and it just looks stupid.

17. If a word is misspelled in the dictionary, how would we know? Look it up in a thesaurus.

18. If shampoo comes in so man colours, why is the lather on your head always white? Most likely a chemical reaction.

19. Why is the alphabet in that order? Why are these questions in this order?

Okay, I'm gonna answer Amy's :P

1. Where exactly in the Nursery Rhyme did it say Humpty Dumpty was an egg? I always assumed he was a chocolate bar, but there you go.

6. If Cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? "TIC TACS!!!"

8. Why does your nose run & your feet smell? Because the world is a ****ed up place.

11. If toast always falls butter side down, should I just butter the other side instead? You mean butter both sides? No, that's just gross.

15. Why doesn't Postman Pat's van have a tax disc? Because anybody in their right mind wouldn't question Postman Pat.

16. Why can't you tickle yourself? Because you're expecting it and it just looks stupid.

17. If a word is misspelled in the dictionary, how would we know? Look it up in a thesaurus.

19. Why is the alphabet in that order? Why are these questions in this order?

OMG Cal! You just cracked me right up. LMFAO. I literally laughed out loud at "TIC TACS!!!" :lol:

Archived