Eurovision 2009

Guest Cal

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I didn't even know their song had been disqualified, I haven't read news at all lately. What can I say? It wouldn't be the ESC without the political drama! :wink:

Just heard the Swedish entry, and I like it. It's very original. I don't know if it'll make it all the way to the top (don't turn on me, Swedes!) but it's a good song.

And speaking of good songs that despite that, won't make it to the top; I can see Poland unsuccessfully tried to get a Man Meadow song through to the internationals again :P

And just like last year, I like the song, but still, it's not at all an ESC song, and I doubt it would have done well in the contest. No guarantees that I won't listen to it again though :P

I do admire the Georgians for sending such a song, but I think Russia were putting pressure on the EBU Reference Group to reject it. :( I know it was political, but Ukraine and Israel sent political songs in the past and they never got rejected.

Poland is sending another ballad so they get the jury wild card like last year :P I don't think it'll get through, it's not particularly memorable, IMO.

I'm preparing for Ireland's crash and burn moment. "Nul pointe". :(

The Georgian song was very obviously political though. Previous years I guess you could have gotten away with a political song if it could be explained, but I don't think they could paddle their way out of this one, considering the whole pronunciation thing pretty much made it very clear it was a song attacking Putin. I'm not sure where they draw the line though. I remember when WigWam performed for Norway in Ukraine in 2005 (?) they had an orange scarf thing they were waving, as a show of support for the democracy after the election scam in Ukraine earlier that year.

And assuming this isn't a new rule, it's interesting where they draw the line. Latvia (I think, or maybe Poland?) had a song for peace about five years ago, and even though that's not the most exact political song, you have had cases of more political peace songs. In 1990, Italy won with a song called "Insieme 1992", which I believe means "Peace 1992" or something like that, and I think that was like a song about hoping for peace among the (then somewhat former) Yugoslav countries. Or something like that, I don't remember the details.

I guess the message was a bit obvious. :P They could have said "We don't wanna rush in, the negative move is killing the groove" or something to not get caught out.

If I'm not mistaken, that sort of withdrawal would ban Georgia from the contest for the next three years. :( I have to keep my anti-Putin sentiments to myself? Not fair! :P

This years The Swedish people voted very different from previous years, but I think that we have finally realised it has to be something different to have a chans on winning ESC, and this song is.

Though my favourite was Sarah Dawn Finer, but Malena was a worthy winner.

Here are the winning song :Malena Ernman- La Voix

I'm very pleased Malena won, but I could have seen Caroline af ugglas in ESC too. I mean she got 10 points from the international jury, so why not. But I love the winning song, finally Sweden sends something original and different.

"Snälla Snälla" by Caroline Af Ugglas was really good. I think I would have been pleased if that won, too. :) I was quite shocked to see Alcazar in 5th (?) place. I was almost sure they'd win! :o

Sweden are lucky to be in semi one. About 80% of the songs in that semi are rubbish. I think they'll be top of the scoreboard for that semi. The only competition they have is Armenia and Turkey. :D

So that's all songs selected for this year's contest. The running order will be decided tomorrow. I think they pick names out of a bowl or something. I hope Ireland get either slot 1 or slot 19, they usually are qualifying slots. :o

I didnt like Caroline af Ugglas song so I am glad she didnt win, I problably would have if someone else had sing it. I dont like Caroline Af Ugglas.

My favourites where actually Sarah Dawn Finer, I loved that song and Sarah has an amazing voice. I also loved Alcazars song, and Måns and H.e.at.s song to, but I am still happy Malena won, she deserved it and it is a different song from thoose we usually sends so, I am pleased, she was a worthy winner.

Archived