Eurovision 2009

Guest Cal

Me too, Cal, although mainly Oslo 2010 for me, since I'll be living there in 2010 and would love to see the fun go there (although, I have a feeling they might consider having it in Lillehammer or someplace else if Norway wins. in 1986 we hosted it in Bergen, and there's a fairly new and huge arena in Lillehammer. But I'm willing to drive there.)

They've been playing Alexander's song all day on the radio, and I have to say it's really growing on me. I think it has potential to get to top 5 (I think it's the kind of song you either LOVE or HATE). It reminds me of a lot of songs that have won or ended up top 5 over the last few years. Ruslana, Sertab Erner and Elena Paparizou all had songs with a traditional theme, modernized and with a really good and strong sound to them.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of the three or so cities I visited in Norway, I'd like to see it in Bergen, but that venue is quite small... well, it is from the outside! :P

Our song is growing on me. I don't think it'll progress to the final because it's too... teeny. It will do well in the charts here and maybe even the UK, but that's about it. I never really root for Ireland because I always end up disappointed :P, so I'll have to pick a few to support. I think Norway, France and Albania are my favourites so far.

Sweden recently had the third semifinal, and one song was sang in Greek.

Semifinal 3- 21th February

Here were the participants:

velvet_ny.jpgVelvet- The Queen

rigo_scanpix.jpg Rigo & The Topaz sound.Ft. Red Fox- I Got U

molly_ny.jpg Molly Sandèn- Så Vill Stjärnorna

emd_ny.jpg E.M.D- Baby Goodbye

mikael_rick_ny.jpg Mickael Rickfors- Du Vinner Över Mig

maja_ny.jpgMaja Gullstrand- Här för Mig Själv

sofia_ny.jpg Sofia- Alla

bwo_ny.jpgBWO- You`re Not Alone

To the Final went E.M.D and Molly Sandèn and to Second Chans went Rigo & The Topaz sound.Ft. Red Fox & BWO

Sofia who sang in Greek was the international jurys choice, so she will have a chans to be in the final. Also Caroline Af Ugglas and Amy Diamond from previous semifinals who are also the international jurys choice.

I am glad they picked Sofia atleast, its a good song.

I liked Velvets song, Sofias, E.M.Ds, BWO and Molly Sandèns songs they were good.

I've just been watching through some old ESC videos, to relive some of my favourite performances :P

And seriously, I still love the choreography for "My number one". I love it.

What are your all time favourites? Winners and non-winners?

"My Number One" is one of my most hated Eurovision songs. It almost trumped the extremely hated "Believe" from last year :P

Hmm. I have two favourite winners. This and this. :wub: Ireland and Norway's last wins :P I totally forgot about Secret Garden until you reminded me about it last year, Eli. :)

And my favourite non-winners would have to be this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ral6qI1h6Z4, this, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9bIAVCCLeI.

My favourites is firstly

ABBA with Waterloo, Elena Paparizou with My Number One, Katrina and The Waves with Love Shine a Light.

Thoose I didnt like was last years winning song Dima Bilan with Believe. I still think his song from 2006 was better. And that the right song didnt win last year. Also Ruslana with Wild Dances, though I like it more now then when it won.

Favourite non wins, Kalomoira with Secret Combination, this should have won. Charlotte Perrelli with Hero, I still love this song and thought Charlotte was amazing.

^I agree, I still can't believe that song didn't do better, I was sure Sweden would win last year! I actually think I voted for you :P

But in all fairness, it was kind of a typical Swedish ESC song. I like typical Swedish ESC songs ("Hero" was at the top of my iTunes with the most plays for like a year :P) but I'm guessing Europe is looking for something more original. Gah, I swear that wasn't supposed to sound so negative, I'm sorry!

Anyway, you're picking your entry tonight, right? I usually watch the Swedish finales, but after they made the whole TV crap digital we don't get a single Swedish channel here, even though I'm like half an hour from the border and literally go grocery shopping in Sweden. It's so annoying how they filled the channel packages with crappy Norwegian channels and not a single Swedish one :rolleyes:

Back to all-time favourites. I have so many it's sad, really. From the winners, off the top of my head I'd say Celine Dion - "Ne Partez pas sans moi" (Switzerland 1988), Johnny Logan - "Hold me now" (Ireland 1987) (still great live 20 years later, btw), Secret Garden - "Nocturne" (Norway 1995), Those Irish guys from '94 (?) whose names I don't remember who sang "Rock'n roll kids", Lys Assia - "Refrain" (Switzerland 1956), That Serbian woman from 2007 whose name I also don't remember, but who sang "Molitva" (that song grew on me, I didn't like it back then, but now I kinda love it!), Elena Paparizou - "My number one" (Greece 2005), Sertab Erener - "Every way that I can" (Turkey 2003), Teach-In - "Dinge dong" (Netherlands 1975) (or something like that, I think you know which song I mean), Herreys - "Diggylou diggylei" (Sweden 1984), ABBA - "Waterloo" (Sweden 1974), Sandra Kim - "J'aime la vie" (Belgium 1986), Buck's fizz (?) - "Making your mind up" (UK 197...6?), Milk & Honey - "Hallelujah" (Israel 1978) and those other Israeli people who won the year before (1977) with that song called "A ba-ni-bih" or something like that. And I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch.

Of the non-winners, my favourites off the top of my head are Brainstorm - "My star" (Latvia 2000), Kalomoira - "Secret Combination (Greece 2008) (I'm sorry, but that song is sex.), Paolo Meneguzzi - "Era Stupendo" (should have won for Switzerland last year!), Vanilla Ninja - "Cool Vibes" (Switzerland 200...5?), Chiara - "Angel" (Malta 2005) and Charlotte Perelli - "Hero" (Sweden 2008).

Actually I thought there were a lot of good songs last year, but I won't list them all. And I obviously have heard more winners more often than non winners, so that's why the first list is longer. I have heard very few of the non winners from 1965, to put it that way. And looks like I'm a fan of Switzerland BTW :P

Also, I apologise if I got the years mixed up. I couldn't be bothered to walk all the way to my shelf and take out the book, or to google anything, so I just wrote down the info as a I remember it, and that could lead to mistakes :P

Yesteday was the forth and final semifinal in Sweden and 8 out of 11 songs have been picked.

I will post the whole list later

Here you can listen and look at all the songs that has competed in Melodifestivalen this year:All songs

My favourites is Alcazar, Måns Zelmerlöw, H.E.A.T, and Sarah Dawn Finer who is in the second chans, I also like the freek song "Alla" That Sofia sings.

Hope you like the songs, and telle me what your favourites are.

Archived