Proud and Prejudiced

Guest Miranda

A proposal

A few weeks later, Mrs Buckton was again in a state of high agitation.

‘Oh my dear Belle,’ she confided. ‘Your father received a communication from Mr Campbell this morning. He requests an audience with him to discuss a matter of great importance. I feel sure it is to ask for your sister’s hand in marriage.’

Belle nodded.

‘We can only hope.’ Mrs Buckton squeezed her daughter’s hand and bustled off.

Just then, Mr Campbell rode up on Valiant and was ushered into Mr Buckton’s study as arranged.

The women waited in varying stages of anticipation.

Mrs Buckton, Ruby and Nicole were in the drawing room. Mrs Buckton and Ruby spent the time primping and preening Nicole in readiness to see Mr Campbell.

Charlotte and Belle sat in the library. Belle was unconcerned by the situation. Indeed, she was a trifle disapproving at the thought of her sister marrying so young. Charlotte felt happy for Nicole, but thought compulsively of Captain Harris.

Suddenly there was the sound of pounding hooves, and Charlotte leapt to the window. But was only Mr Jefferies, who leapt off his black horse and thrust the reins into the footman’s hands.

‘Direct me to Mr Buckton!’ he commanded. ‘If you please.’

‘But he’s otherwise engaged,’ protested the servant.

‘This is a matter of the utmost urgency!’

The footman obeyed the irate gentleman and led him into the Grange.

Belle strode out into the hallway to meet Jefferies.

‘You cannot interrupt my father at present.’ She stood in front of him, eyes blazing.

‘Madam, please. This is a matter of great importance! Let me pass!’

‘I will not! You will interfere with my sister’s future if you interrupt now.’

‘That is precisely my intention!’ snapped Jefferies, sidestepping the open mouthed Belle and rapping firmly on the study door.

By this time, the other members of the family had emerged and stood watching in horror.

Mr Buckton came to the study door.

‘Good day, Mr Jefferies. I am occupied at present. Please wait.’

‘I beg your pardon sir but I must speak with my friend.’

Campbell appeared behind Mr Buckton, a defiant look upon his face.

‘Campbell. I must urge you not to take this irreversible step. It would be a grave mistake.’

Belle stole a glance at Nicole, whose bottom lip had begun to tremble.

‘I will not listen to you Jefferies! I will follow my heart!’

‘But consider how often that course of action has ended in rash decisions.’

Campbell paused.

‘Recollect if you will, other situations you have found yourself in, dear friend. I will not go into details in front of this audience but I recommend that you spend a greater length of time on consideration.’

‘Perhaps gentlemen, a discussion in my study would benefit you both.’ Mr Buckton stood aside and they did as he asked.

‘Oh Mr Buckton, did he ask for Nicole’s hand in marriage?’ gasped his wife after the study door had shut.

‘I am afraid not my dear. I must tell you that I am not going to make it easy for a young man to carry away any daughter of mine from the family home, so we had a thorough discussion of current affairs before he could do so.’

After an agonising length of time, Campbell and Jefferies emerged from the study.

‘We have come to an agreement and intend to return to the Manor forthwith,’ said Jefferies, addressing himself to Mr Buckton. ‘My deepest apologies to you ladies.’ He bowed to them and the two men strode out. Campbell’s eyes met Nicole’s yearningly and hers filled with tears, but he was hustled away.

Belle was not prepared to let them leave so easily however, and marched up to the horses.

‘Mr Jefferies! How dare you interfere in this business?’

‘This business does not concern you, Miss Belle.’

‘On the contrary! My sister’s happiness concerns me greatly!’

‘You must agree however that your sister and my friend are hardly in the same situation. It is best that they do not form a connection.’

He leapt onto his steed, Ajax, and he and Campbell rode away, with a regretful backward look from Campbell.

When Belle re-entered the Grange, it was in uproar.

‘Oh my darling!’ Mrs Buckton was wailing. ‘That man has ruined any chance of happiness you might have!’

Nicole was crying hysterically while Ruby comforted her.

‘I don’t think he’s ruined any chance of her happiness,’ shouted Mr Buckton over the noise. ‘She will meet another suitable young man.’

‘I don’t want another suitable young man!’ wept Nicole. ‘I want Geoffrey. And he wants me, did you not see? It’s all the fault of Mr Jefferies, I hate him!’

‘Now, my dear, you mustn’t hate anyone-‘

‘I do hate him! And I hate you!’ Nicole flounced out of the room, with Ruby following.

‘Really sir!’ scolded Mrs Buckton. ‘You are most insensitive.’ She hastened after her daughters.

‘Don’t worry, Papa. It wasn’t your fault,’ said Belle.

‘Hmph.’ He swept back into his study.

‘Mr Jefferies is insufferable!’ Belle exclaimed to Charlotte.

‘Mr Campbell arriving on horseback to propose to Nicole was so romantic.’ Charlotte was wearing a wistful expression and Belle knew she would not get a sensible answer at present.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A revelation at the Boarding House

Miss Anne Campbell observed her brother’s actions with a resigned eye. If only Geoffrey was less impulsive with his affection. This had led to awkward situations in the past and no doubt another had arisen. It was fortunate that Mr Jefferies was present to keep Geoffrey’s caprices in check.

She tried to think of the attractive features of Mr Jefferies but her thoughts kept turning to Mr Jai Fernandez. Why had Mr Copeland been duty bound to take him in? Was he really a pirate? How could she meet him again?

Then she was struck by inspiration. It was to be Geoffrey’s birthday soon. She had heard that Mrs Baker was skilled at making exquisite cakes and pastries. Perhaps she could order one in person from the boarding house. And it was time for another ball. An occasion such as her brother’s birthday would be perfect to distract him from affairs of the heart.

‘So, have I gained your permission to organise this ball, Geoffrey?’ she asked at breakfast the next morning, after outlining her plans.

‘If you must.’ He did not raise his head from the newspaper. She nodded, her thoughts full of her preparations.

That afternoon, she set out in the Campbell carriage.

‘Good morning.’ Mr Copeland was at the writing desk, arranging his moustache. ‘Is Mrs Baker at home? I wish to make an order for a cake.’

‘Oh- er – certainly Miss Campbell,’ he stuttered. ‘Please be seated while I enquire as to her whereabouts.’ He left via the internal door.

No sooner had he done so that Mr Fernandez appeared through it.

‘Miss Campbell,’ he bowed. He was less exotically dressed today, but still cut an unusual figure. ‘Are you well?’

‘Y-yes. Are you?’

‘I am sorry our dance was interrupted so rudely at the ball. My- Mr Copeland is determined to-‘

‘Good day, Miss Campbell,’ said Mrs Baker cheerily. Mr Copeland was behind her.

‘Good day Mrs Baker. I hear you make excellent desserts.’ Anne went on to detail the precise type of cake she required and the ladies discussed it while Copeland worked on his receipts ledger and Fernandez perched uncomfortably on the bureau.

‘Thank you. I will also be holding a ball in honour of my brother’s birthday, so please etc an invitation in the near future.’ She took her leave of Mrs Baker, who withdrew into the boarding house.

‘I will accompany you to your carriage.’ Fernandez forcefully ushered her out of the door.

‘Miss Campbell. I am impelled to share a secret with you. Quickly, there is not much time.’

Anne caught her breath.

‘Mr Copeland is my natural father. Upon my coming of age, I am due a fortune from my mother’s father, the late Mr Jonathan Silver. So Copeland has taken me in with the intention of appropriating the money. I implore you to help me-‘

‘Miss Campbell! You had forgot your gloves.’ Copeland handed them to her. ‘Come away, Jai. Do not detain the lady.’

Anne drove away preoccupied. How could she assist Mr Fernandez? Could he come and lodge at the Manor? She must ask Mr Jefferies for legal advice.

Visitors to the Grange

The next weeks were dreary and dull. Nicole wore a martyred look, her mother fussed over her constantly, as did Ruby, and Charlotte seemed to be lost in her own world.

‘I have arranged to go fishing with Mr Stewart tomorrow,’ announced Mr Buckton. He was weary of the low atmosphere at the Grange and needed respite from it.

The ladies paused. They knew what his next sentence would be.

‘So, Miss Stewart will be coming here for morning tea. Please entertain her. It is the least we can do for such a distinguished lady.’

The Buckton ladies sighed. Miss Colleen Stewart was a renowned chatterer, and loved nothing better than to talk at length, no matter who was interested.

The next day dawned.

‘Are you prepared, Buckton?’ asked Mr Stewart jovially at the door. ‘Make haste before the fish turn tail.’

‘Certainly, Stewart. Let us set off at once.’

Mr Stewart and Mr Buckton left and Miss Stewart was installed in the drawing room with the Buckton ladies for tea.

‘I trust you are well, Miss Stewart?’ asked the lady of the house.

‘I am very well, thank you. I have had a hectic time lately, I must say. I have so much to tell you all.’

‘Oh yes?’ Mrs Buckton’s curiosity was piqued, despite her impatience to get on with household business.

‘I went to the ball at Fotheringham Manor in honour of Mr Campbell’s birthday. I note that the Buckton household were not present but I do not want to intrude on personal affairs, so let me simply observe that you were not.’

‘There was a ball?’ exclaimed Ruby. ‘Were we not invited, Mama?’

‘I regret to say that we were not.’

‘Oh!’ Ruby fled the room, holding her handkerchief to her eyes.

‘Oh dear. I fear I have spoken out of turn.’ Miss Stewart’s expression was of curiosity, however, not regret.

‘Do not concern yourself, please. Ruby has a delicate and easily shaken temperament. Pray continue with your news.’ Mrs Buckton knew there was no halting the flow, once started. And she did enjoy hearing about folk’s business.

‘Where was I? Oh yes, the Campbell’s ball. A grand affair it was, but of course you were in attendance at the last occasion, so are well acquainted with the Campbell’s situation.’

‘How fares Mr Campbell?’ enquired Nicole. ‘And his sister of course.’

‘Oh, Mr Campbell appeared in excellent spirits. I think that was partly due to the presence of Miss Melody Jones, however.’

‘Who is Miss Jones?’ Charlotte spared her younger sister from asking.

‘Miss Melody Jones is the daughter of the Fairchester Joneses. A lovely young woman, so fair of face. I had the good fortune to exchange many words with her that evening and she is delightful.’

‘Is she a particular acquaintance of the Campbells?’ persevered Charlotte.

‘Well, I heard that she is the sweetheart of Mr Campbell himself. They were betrothed in childhood, then-‘

‘We were not aware that Mr Campbell had such a connection,’ interrupted Mrs Buckton. ‘Are Mr Campbell and Miss Jones to be married?’

‘Apparently so. A summer wedding, I believe.’

Nicole rose to her feet and hastened out of the room at speed, then sobbing was heard as she bolted up the staircase.

‘Gracious me!’ exclaimed Miss Stewart. ‘Another of your daughters fled. I must curb my tongue.’

There was a pause for the remaining Buckton ladies to become accustomed to the revelation about Mr Campbell.

‘More tea, Miss Stewart?’ asked Charlotte.

‘Oh yes, thank you.’ The aged lady lifted two of the largest scones on to her tea plate. ‘I have not told you of the most shocking event of the evening.’

‘Do tell us.’ Belle knew that the sooner Miss Stewart had revealed all the tittle-tattle, the sooner she would discontinue talking.

‘It started innocently with the Holden family. Mr Jack Holden was dancing with his charming wife, Martha. A striking couple they make. Mr Holden must be on a good wage, if he can afford such luxurious attire. They were turning around and around in the dance, when suddenly they struck another couple. The gentleman was a soldier, his lady a friend of Mrs Phillips’. She was not pleasing to the eye if you ask me, but he was tall and fair, with a well grown moustache, and a Captain’s uniform.’

Charlotte and Belle had been allowing their attention to wander until then, but at the mention of a fair Captain, the sisters were roused.

‘This collision seemed to provoke Mr Holden more than necessary. He demanded an apology at great volume and did not seem satisfied with the Captain’s efforts. He began to shout, gesturing at his wife, who flushed. I daresay she wished the ground would open and swallow her, she was so embarrassed. The Captain defended himself, but Mr Holden became so agitated that he lunged at him and had to be restrained by Doctor Holden and some of the other gentlemen. He was borne away, but managed to shout one last insulting remark at the Captain. All the guests were shocked, indeed, at such a statement.’

She paused to take a sip of tea. ‘This is a fine blend, I must say, Mrs Buckton. Where did you purchase it?’

‘Oh- er- from Mr Greenway in the bay. Pray continue, Miss Stewart. What did Mr Holden shout?’

Belle and Charlotte leant forward slightly, trying not to appear too eager.

‘He challenged the Captain to a duel. It seems to be related to Mrs Holden. Mrs Martha Holden I mean of course, not Mrs Rachel Holden. I enquired amongst my acquaintances, and it seems that Captain Harris- as I discovered to be the name of the Captain- made advances on Mrs Holden and led her to believe he intended to propose, only to abruptly disconnect himself from her and leave her in a difficult position. Mr Holden then stepped in gallantly and married her, to save her from mortification and embarrassment. It is unfortunate that the Holdens have met the Captain again, as they had to move away from the bay to escape the situation, but I suppose a soldier’s career takes him everywhere and it was an almost inevitable occurrence.’

Charlotte’s face was frozen in distress. She tried to speak, but could not, and left the room, holding back her tears.

‘Oh! What is the matter with your daughters today, my dear Mrs Buckton?’ Miss Stewart was at last looking concerned. ‘They seem so sensitive and easily upset.’

Before Mrs Buckton could reply, Belle stood up.

‘I am very sorry to leave, Miss Stewart, but I really feel I should go and see how my sisters are faring. Please excuse me.’ She strode out of the room, not knowing whether to laugh or cry.

‘Oh, I am truly vexed. I must apologise sincerely for upsetting your daughters. It must be a heartfelt worry for you, Mrs Buckton, having so many of them to marry off. I only hope they will not all turn out old maids like myself.’

Mrs Buckton wondered if this afternoon would ever end. The timepiece on the mantel showed four o’clock and the men were not due to return until five at the earliest.

‘Perhaps a turn around the garden, Miss Stewart. The spring foliage is delightful.’

‘Oh no! It is far too cold at this time of year.’

‘Well, I fear you will have to excuse me. I must also go and calm my daughters as I am overwhelmed with concern. Perhaps you could wait here awhile?’

‘Oh- er-‘

‘I will instruct the maid to bring some light reading for you to peruse. Please excuse me.’

Mrs Buckton left he room, heaving a sigh of relief. What a trial Miss Stewart could be at times.

Fishing

Mr Stewart and Mr Buckton sat companionably by the lake in a silence only punctuated by the occasional exclamation when a fish nibbled.

They became aware of a chattering noise coming from further along the bank and both sighed.

‘It is progressing extremely well,’ said the voice of Mrs Baker. ‘I have used vermilion for the ornaments and lemon for the main spread of the icing.’

Mr Stewart sat up and smoothed down his coat and hair, preparing to impress the object of his affections.

‘Oh, that sounds exquisite,’ replied the voice of Mrs Roberts. ‘Miss Campbell will be delighted.’

The two ladies hove into view, stepping daintily over leaves and sticks.

‘Mrs Baker. Mrs Roberts.’ Mr Buckton greeted them warmly. ‘What brings you out on such a cold day?’

‘We are simply taking our daily exercise and breathing the fresh air,’ said Mrs Baker. ‘I hope we are not disturbing your fish.’

‘No, no. In truth, it is time that Stewart and I paused for refreshment. Will you join us?’

‘Please sit down.’ Mr Stewart indicated the fishing chairs he and Mr Buckton had promptly vacated. He drew out a bundle from his fishing bag and unwrapped it to reveal a flagon of steaming hot tea.

‘How ingenious!’ Mrs Baker clapped her hands together. ‘A fine way to keep tea warm.’

Mr Buckton poured the tea out.

‘Do not worry, Mr Stewart and I have not drunk from these cups, they are clean.’

Everyone paused to allow the ladies to drink their tea.

‘So, Mr Buckton. How are your wife and daughters?’ Mrs Baker enquired and Buckton began to tell her about them in the broadest terms, omitting the awkward aspects of recent life at the Grange.

Mrs Roberts found herself next to Mr Stewart.

‘May I ask, are those trout laid out on the ground?’ she asked conversationally.

‘Why yes. How did you know?’

‘Well, I must confess, my father was a fish merchant and I spent many years observing the types of creature he and his employees brought from the water.’

‘A fish merchant? Then how did it come about that you-‘ Mr Stewart stopped, not wanting to embarrass the lady.

‘Do you mean how did I end up as a humble housekeeper?’ Mrs Roberts laughed. ‘I am afraid to say that my mother did not produce any sons, so the business was entailed to the son my father had with his second wife.’

‘Oh. How unfortunate.’ Mr Stewart could not think of the correct words.

‘Pray do not pity me, sir. I have a good position in Mr Copeland’s household and I do not want for anything. But how goes your fishing?’

‘The fish have not been forthcoming, I am sorry to say.’

‘Have you tried baiting your hook with essence of the herb feverfew? My father maintained to his dying day that this herb drew fish to his line faster than anything else.’

‘No, I have not heard of that. I will try it.’

They continued their discussion of fish, the catching, preparation and consumption of, and found they had a lot to talk about.

‘We must continue our discussion another time, Mrs Roberts. Perhaps we could broaden our range of topics also?’

‘Yes, I would like that.’

What an agreeable and surprising lady she was, thought Mr Stewart.

A walk to the bay

Belle was weary of hearing about her sisters’ affairs of the heart. Ruby was full of dread in case she finished up an old spinster like Miss Stewart. Charlotte berated herself for not observing the signs of depravity in Captain Harris, and Nicole was hurt and humiliated at the duplicity of Mr Campbell.

Belle endeavoured to draw attention to how unreasonable each sister was being, and how unfairly each was chastising herself. She reassured Ruby that there were many years ahead of her in which to find a husband. She tried to restore Charlotte’s confidence in her estimation of people by telling her that no one else had suspected him of such actions. And if he was the only character she had misjudged, there were scores of others she had correctly read. Belle comforted Nicole by observing that it was Mr Campbell who had failed to benefit from this situation, not she. All my sisters are similarly afflicted by involvement with gentlemen, she thought. I am prudent to keep away from similar attachments.

All this counselling had worn Belle out, however. She decided to take a walk into the bay as she owned stout walking boots and it was only a few miles. So she set off at ten o’clock.

The weather was sunny but chill, so the fresh air was a relief from the stuffiness of the Grange. She strode along the carriageway, planning what to order from the bay side shops- there was no need for her to carry money, because the goods would be added to the Bucktons’ account.

Suddenly there was a drumming of hooves, and a cry of:

‘Whoa there! Whoa I say!.’ A large black horse came to a halt beside her. ‘Miss Buckton! Whatever are you doing in the road like that?’

Belle looked up to see Mr Jefferies reining in the proud steed.

‘I am taking a walk to the bay, quite evidently.’ She carried on her course.

‘But if a carriage were to come hurtling along here without seeing you, I dread to think what might occur.’

Belle shrugged and continued walking, so Jefferies dismounted and walked alongside her, leading Ajax. Jefferies was wearing a black riding coat, which suited him particularly well.

‘How are your mother and father, and all your sisters?’ he asked politely.

‘They are perfectly well.’

‘I am glad to hear it. I hope-’

‘I must say Mr Jefferies, I am exceedingly annoyed with you! So much so I can hardly bring myself to converse!’

He paused, an expression of disbelief on his face.

‘Why is this?’

She stopped walking and faced him.

‘I cannot believe you have the arrogance to misunderstand! You have broken my sister’s heart by persuading Mr Campbell against her! How dare you forget that?’

‘But Mr Campbell is already betrothed-‘

‘Yes, I know! To Miss Melody Jones, who is no doubt a wealthy and advantageous match. You obviously persuaded him to value that over everything else! You convinced him that it is more important to unite two eminent families than to follow his true feelings for Nicole!’

‘Miss Buckton, I must protest! You imagine I have more influence over my friend than I truly have. I simply observed that if he married your sister, it would cause great distress to everyone concerned.’

‘But if he intended to propose, why did you not simply allow him to continue unhindered?’

He paused.

‘Would you wish your sister to be the cause of Miss Jones’s shame? If Campbell broke his connection with her, she would be placed in a very embarrassing position. In addition Campbell and Miss Nicole would be shunned by everyone in local society after their marriage. He and his new bride would be forced to remove from the district. Would you wish that upon your sister, and your family?’

‘Am I therefore to believe that your intention on arriving so abruptly was to protect my sister’s reputation?’

‘Not entirely. For many years Campbell’s rash nature has lead him into difficult situations. I wished to protect both his and your sister’s reputations in this one.’

‘And your own by association, no doubt.’

‘If that is what you wish to believe.’ He wore the condescending expression she disliked.

‘So as far as we are aware, Campbell is certain to marry Miss Jones in the near future, even though he does not love her?

He inclined his head slightly, as if he could not even be bothered to nod.

She paused, still infuriated, but could not prevent herself from blurting:

‘I do so hate the way people marry for money and status these days! I am not a romantic but I think people should marry for love!’

‘May I point out that you have just contradicted yourself?’

‘No, you may not! I can see that my feelings are entirely incomprehensible to a man such as you.’

‘Not entirely. Some people marry for love, others do not. It is the way of the world.’

They continued walking in silence, with the occasional pause for Ajax to nibble at the verge.

‘Tell me, Miss Buckton. How are your studies of improving books progressing?’

‘Do not make fun of me, Mr Jefferies.’

‘I would not dare. I am simply interested in what you read.’

Belle ventured to tell him of her investigations into the increasing equality of women and men in the present century. To her surprise and pleasure he did not ridicule her in any way, but simply listened attentively.

As she spoke she considered her differing impressions of Mr Jefferies. Was he the condescending aristocrat she had first met at the Campbells’ ball? Or the conservative pedant, shocked by her reading habits? Or the interfering tyrant, determined to arrange social affairs to his own satisfaction? There were so many aspects to his character that she could not decide which one was his true nature. She was intrigued and felt the desire to find out more.

A return

Mr Jefferies left Belle in the bay after making sure she was confident to walk home alone. She enjoyed herself there, ordering a new pair of gloves from the dressmaker, Miss Hunter, and having a lengthy and frivolous discussion with her about the new fashions from the city.

When Belle returned to the Grange however, her mother met her at the door with a dramatic look upon her face.

‘Oh, my dear! What is to become of us?’

‘What is it Mama?’

‘It is Charlie. She is walking in the orchard with Captain Harris!’

What?

‘He arrived just after you had left. If only your father was not visiting Mr Sutherland! What are we to do?’

‘Mama, be sensible. What is Captain Harris to do? I am sure he will not harm Charlie. I will go and investigate.’

Belle hastened to the orchard without removing her wrap. She could hear the conversation, so hesitated behind a convenient piece of topiary.

‘I swear Miss Buckton, I am so filled with regret for distressing Mrs Holden in such a way. It was four years ago, I was a careless youth, but after my career as a soldier, I have matured immeasurably.’

‘But can you imagine how I felt when I discovered that you had done such a thing! Indeed Mr Holden feels he must fight you in a duel to regain his wife’s honour.’

‘Ah yes, the duel. I fear for Mr Holden’s safety, I must say. Here I am, a seasoned campaigner with years of experience in the use of weaponry, and he is a mere clerk in the city.’

‘So you are worried about harming Mr Holden?’

‘Yes. I do not mean him disrespect, but I could wound him from two hundred yards away with a musket. But that is by the by. The news I came to impart to you is that I have been offered a commission in the city with the King’s Guard. It would be a promotion for me to Major.’

‘You are here to tell me that you are leaving this area?’

But Captain Harris had paused, and stepped towards Belle. She dodged too late.

‘Aha! A spy. Miss Belle, you should be wary of eavesdropping.’

‘I was merely concerned about my sister. Please let go of my arm, Captain.’

‘Sorry. Be assured, Miss Belle, I mean no harm to your sister.’

‘Charlie, are you in danger?’

Belle and Harris both looked enquiringly at her.

‘I must thank you for your concern, sister, but I assure you I am quite alright with Captain Harris. You may tell Mama not to be alarmed.’

‘Well, if you are quite certain.’

‘I am. Please leave us alone, but thank you again.’ Charlotte embraced her sister, but pushed her gently away.

Belle reluctantly took her leave. She knew what a romantic Charlotte was, and hoped Harris would not take advantage of this.

The Letter

The next morning, Belle woke up after a peaceful night’s sleep, but was immediately aware of an uneasy feeling in her stomach. She looked across at Charlotte’s bed: it was empty and neatly made. Getting out of bed, she noticed a folded piece of paper on the nightstand by the wash basin and jug. The feeling in her stomach increased greatly, especially when she read her own name on the note. She unfolded it in haste, and read:

Dearest Belle,

I am writing to inform you that I have departed with Captain Harris. As you may have heard, he has received a commission in the city, and wants me to go with him. He has vowed to marry me as soon as we leave the locality of the bay, so by the time you read this I shall undoubtedly be Mrs Harris. I will contact you when we are settled in our quarters in the city.

All my love and affection,

Charlie

The feeling in Belle’s stomach had turned to lead. With a heavy heart, she set off down the staircase to her family.

As expected, Mrs Buckton immediately became hysterical.

‘Buckton! You must go after them. If you borrowed a horse and rode hard til lunchtime, you would surely catch them. If only we had a brace of robust sons to take up this duty!’

‘Quite so, my dear. At my time of life I am rather too old to perform such actions.’ Despite Mr Buckton’s customary dryness, Belle could see how concerned he was.

There was a thumping of hooves, and the entire household ran to the window.

‘Oh Doctor Holden!’ cried Mrs Buckton. ‘Thank God!’ She rushed outside.

‘Good morning Mrs Buckton,’ said the good doctor. ‘I must apologise for the untimely hour, but-’

‘Oh Doctor! Such a calamity has befallen us!’ She poured out the details recklessly, drawing him into the Grange while doing so.

‘Well, Mr and Mrs Buckton, I am afraid to say I predicted this. Having been deceived by Captain Harris before, it does not surprise me in the least. I also must add, how cowardly of the man to avoid the duel with my son!’

‘What should we do, Doctor? My husband is-‘

‘Madam, please! I am still capable of speaking for myself, even if not of chasing the villain. Doctor, has your son contacts in the city who could find out where Harris has taken my daughter?’

‘Most certainly. I will ride home at once and consult with Jack.’

‘I am exceedingly grateful. Could I perhaps follow you in our carriage?’

‘Yes, that would be an excellent idea. I will take my leave, there is no time to waste. Oh, how is Miss Nicole’s ankle? I was coming to examine it for the last time.’

Nicole was hastily brought forward and Doctor Holden inspected her at great speed, pronouncing her returned to full health. Then he set off.

Mr Buckton was then beset by requests from his wife and remaining daughters to accompany him in the carriage, but he refused all except Belle.

‘Wife, you must stay here in case Charlotte returns home. We can always send messengers to keep you informed. Come, Belle, we must away.’

What to do?

‘Papa, please do not worry. Charlie is not silly, she would not leave with a gentleman unless certain he intended to honour her,’ said Belle as the carriage rattled along.

‘How can you call Harris a gentleman? He is only worthy of being called a man. No gentleman would abscond with an unmarried lady.’

Just then, a shadow fell across the window and the Bucktons became aware of two horse riders alongside the carriage. Belle gasped, but it was only Mr Jefferies and Mr Campbell.

‘Good morning!’ called Jefferies. ‘I see you are out and about early.’

‘Yes,’ replied Mr Buckton. ‘I am afraid we have no time to converse. Our journey is critical.’

‘May we be of assistance?’ Jefferies peered into the window.

Mr Buckton considered. ‘Have you contacts in the city?’

‘Oh yes. Campbell and I both do.’

‘Could you please meet us at the home of Doctor Holden? You might indeed be able to assist us.’

The two gentlemen gathered up their reins and galloped off.

‘Are you sure it was wise to involve them?’ asked Belle.

‘Yes. They are both influential in social circles, especially Jefferies, and will be assets to our cause.’

When the carriage reached the Holden family home, Mr Jack Holden and his father hurried out to meet them.

‘Mr Jefferies and Mr Campbell have gone to interview the King’s Hussars. They will know the whereabouts of Captain Harris,’ explained Doctor Holden. ‘’Twas a stroke of luck you meeting those gentlemen with their connections.’

‘What connections?’ asked Belle.

‘Well, Mr Jefferies was previously in the militia, and Mr Campbell’s grandfather, Mr Bruce Campbell, was a well decorated veteran.’

After a couple of hours, the gentlemen returned.

‘What news?’ cried Mr Buckton anxiously.

‘We have learned the whereabouts of Harris,’ said Jefferies. ‘He is south east of the city. Now, Mr Buckton, how would you like me to proceed?’

‘I would like you to locate the scoundrel and bring my daughter back!’ exclaimed Mr Buckton, thumping the table. Belle was shocked. She had never seen her father so incensed and helped him to a seat.

‘I could accompany you,’ added Mr Jack Holden. ‘I could teach that rogue a lesson!’

‘Perhaps it might be better if you stayed here. Or lodged with the Bucktons in case Harris returns there and the ladies are undefended,’ said Doctor Holden, aware how hot headed his son could be.

‘Yes, you are correct. Mr Buckton, would it be acceptable for me to stay at the Grange?’

‘Certainly. Gentlemen, thank you for your assistance. Please be on your way with God’s blessing.’

Belle found herself next to Mr Campbell as preparations were made for the gentlemen to ride to the city, a journey of two days.

‘How is Miss Jones?’ asked Belle, trying not to sound accusatory.

‘Miss Melody Jones? Oh, very well as far as I am aware. She will soon be Mrs Morgan however.’

Belle was shocked. ‘Miss Jones is to be married? But I thought she was betrothed to you?’

‘She was- we were- it was an arrangement made in childhood, but after a discussion we decided to break off the connection by mutual agreement. Miss Jones is in love with someone else and so am I.’

‘If you are in love with Nicole, Mr Campbell, why do you no longer visit her?’

‘Do you think I should? I did not know the best course of action. Do I still have a chance with her?’

‘Yes of course! She would be glad to see you again.’

He smiled broadly.

‘Make haste, Campbell.’ Jefferies strode up to him with a flask. ‘No time to lose.’

The gentlemen saddled up Valiant and Ajax. Jefferies wore a ruthless expression, which was reassuring.

‘Bring my daughter back!’ called Mr Buckton as they turned the horses and set off at a trot down the gravel drive. The scene would have reminded Belle of a Western motion picture, except that they had not been invented yet, so it did not.

‘Do you think they will be successful?’

‘Of course my dear. Charlie will be back with us before we know it.’ But Mr Buckton’s expression belied his confident words.

Miss Campbell takes action

Meanwhile, Miss Anne Campbell was considering how to proceed with Mr Fernandez. As a woman, she held no power over men, so she had been forced to speak with her brother and Mr Jefferies. They had both reached the age of majority, so the best they could do to help would be if one of them became Mr Fernandez’ legal guardian. This, however, would be long process with little certainty of success, so it was not a viable choice.

So the only option was therefore an illegal one. After hearing about Miss Charlotte Buckton and Captain Harris, Anne had formed a plan of her own. If Mr Fernandez was not in the household of Copeland, his inheritance could be his alone. She had been conversing with Mr Fernandez via letter for some months, and had informed him of her thoughts. She had always yearned for adventure, and the Campbells had family in England, so with his agreement, Anne had booked two passages on HMS Mauritania in a week’s time. They would travel to Melbourne by carriage, then board the vessel and head off for their new life.

That night, Anne set out on foot to the boarding house of Mr Copeland. She was not afraid as it was a moonlit night and she was well disguised as a servant.

She reached the house and was surprised to find all the windows throwing forth light and music playing. She crept closer and heard Copeland’s voice calling out a series of numbers, then a pause.

Through the window, she observed a group of men sitting round a table, drinking alcohol, smoking cigars and associating with scantily clad ladies.

Anne stepped back in shock, and bumped into someone. She gasped and turned to find Mr Fernandez.

‘I am glad to see you.’ He hastened her away from the window. ‘This gambling den is the reason Copeland needs my inheritance : he needs more funds for his cursed enterprise. We cannot make our escape fast enough.’

‘You are correct. If we hurry we can make the carriage pick up point in time.’

They set off at a pace, then suddenly there was a crash, and the front door of the boarding house was flung open. Copeland stood on the doorstep, brandishing a musket, his black moustache like a bat above his lip.

‘Get back here, you young scoundrel!’ he roared, and fired into the air. Mrs Phillips and Mrs Baker suddenly appeared at his side.

‘Miles!’ shrieked Mrs Phillips. ‘Whatever are you doing?’

‘Please, Mr Copeland, consider your actions!’ cried Mrs Baker. ‘You have woken our children.’ Oliver and Vincent Junior were crying round their mothers’ feet.

‘You cannot leave my household!’ Copeland fired again, this time at Anne and Fernandez’ feet and they started running.

‘What the devil is going on?’ shouted a voice, and Mr Stewart rode up on his piebald stallion, Copernicus. He was also waving a musket.

‘Keep out of this, Stewart!’ bellowed Copeland, firing again.

Just then, the Stewart carriage drove up, with Mrs Roberts at the reins.

‘Quick everyone! Climb aboard!’ she yelled, and Fernandez and Anne scrambled in.

Mrs Phillips, Mrs Baker and their children tried to escape, but Copeland held them back.

‘For pity’s sake man! Let the women and children go!’ roared Mr Stewart.

‘Only if Fernandez returns!’

Anne and Fernandez exchanged glances, then he reluctantly slipped out of the carriage. But he had not reckoned on the ladies. Mrs Phillips and Mrs Baker pushed Copeland aside, grabbed their children and ran to the carriage. Mr Stewart fired his elderly musket at the villain, and grazed his shoulder, making him step back. Mr Fernandez doubled back and leapt up the carriage step.

The carriage drove off, Mr Stewart turned his horse and followed, while Copeland went off in search of someone to tend his wound.

Anne sat at the front with Mrs. Roberts.

‘I am so very glad I left Copeland’s residence,’ said the housekeeper. ‘It was fast becoming a house of ill repute, I am sorry to say.’

‘Do you live with the Stewarts now?’

‘Yes, I am engaged to Alfred.’

‘Oh, congratulations.’

When they reached the Stewarts’ residence, everyone climbed out of the carriage.

‘We must make haste if we are to catch the carriage to Melbourne,’ said Anne to Fernandez.

‘Melbourne eh?’ enquired Mr Stewart. ‘What say I take you in the carriage to the pick up point? That should abbreviate your journey.’

‘Thank you sir,’ said Fernandez, bowing.

Waiting for news

While the household waited for information about Charlotte, Belle considered what Mr Campbell had said about Nicole. She did not wish to perturb her sister by revealing his thoughts, but the knowledge played on her mind. If Campbell truly loved Nicole, why had he let Jefferies dissuade him from proposing?

When she thought of Jefferies however, she was surprised to find that she no longer hated him, but felt something akin to admiration. He had done his best to make Campbell honour his engagement to Miss Jones and was at present rescuing Charlotte from the audacious Captain Harris.

The waiting was a torment. The days dragged on and the Bucktons tried to amuse themselves. They were pleased to have the diversion of Mr Jack Holden, who regaled them with tales of city living, colourful characters and scandalous affairs.

Early on the sixth day, a messenger on horseback arrived at the Grange, and Mr Buckton rushed out in his night attire.

‘Sir!’ gasped the man. ‘I bring you great news! Your daughter is returning in the evening.’

‘Can you tell me more?’

‘She is in good health. That is all I know.’

The occupants of the Grange flew into a frenzy.

‘We must air her bed!’ cried Mrs Buckton.

‘My dear, why on earth? She only slept in it a few nights hence,’ queried her husband.

‘But- but- we must prepare ourselves, in some way-‘ she hurried out of the door in a fluster.

‘Do you realise that Mr Campbell and Mr Jefferies will most likely be with our sister when she returns?’ said Belle to Nicole.

‘But is he not married already?’ Nicole was feigning indifference, as she customarily did.

‘No, I think not. He- well- just wait and see.’ Belle hoped she had not spoken imprudently.

That evening, there were pairs of eyes at every window, watching, and waiting. At last a carriage made its way up the drive, with a pair of riders escorting it. One of the horses was grey and one black.

‘Its Mr Campbell!’ gasped Nicole, clutching at Belle, who said silently to herself: ‘It’s Mr Jefferies!’

Mr Buckton met the carriage as it pulled up at the front of the house. The other Bucktons and Mr Holden gathered behind him. The two riders dismounted and helped a lady out of the carriage, then drew back from the family.

‘Charlie!’ gasped her sisters and mother, but Mr Buckton held himself aloof from her.

‘Charlotte,’ he said gravely. ‘What is the meaning of this? You have worried your mother sick, your sisters have become hysterical, and I have nearly gone to an early grave. Explain yourself.’

‘I- I am sorry Papa. I wanted an adventure. And I am married now. I am Mrs Harris.’

Her father paused. ‘I will speak to you later.’ He turned and strode off. Charlotte exchanged glances with her husband.

‘Mrs Buckton,’ said Captain Harris. ‘I must sincerely apologise for distressing you.’ But Mrs Buckton pushed past him to throw her arms round her daughter, and she was joined by the other Buckton sisters.

After a while, Captain and Mrs Harris were ushered into the Grange for a meal. Mr Campbell and Mr Jefferies were included, which made the seating arrangements much more balanced than usual. Although Mr Buckton took his supper in his study.

‘I would dearly love to know how you achieved the feat of retrieving my sister,’ said Belle to Mr Jefferies, as he was seated opposite her, devouring everything on his plate. He appeared fatigued.

‘I will tell you. But later, it would be inappropriate now.’ His eyes met hers and she felt a thrill of anticipation.

Mr Campbell had been placed opposite Nicole and neither could avert their eyes from the other. Mrs Buckton watched approvingly, when she was not being complimented by Captain Harris.

Archived