Dying To Be Alive

Guest jenlee

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should any of you have ideas about what happened in the past, feel free to PM rather than posting it in your comments because if you are right I don't want everyone knowing what's going to happen :lol:

PART ONE - 22/10/11

6.42am

Roman would be pleased to see him, that much Aden knew. They emailed each other at least once a week and the question “when are you coming home?” was always Roman’s opening line. Even this early in the morning, Roman would be happy to see him

And Nicole would be happy to see him too…maybe. Eventually. Hopefully. When he left the bay he hadn’t exactly bothered to say goodbye to her, choosing to simply get out of town ASAP. Therefore she was actually probably a little pissed at him and he should expect some kind of verbal sparring match when she saw him. She would get over it though. Especially when he apologised a million times and she saw all the gifts he had brought her.

Aden grinned slightly and felt relief at knowing it would probably be at least another hour or so before he had to deal with Nicole. He’d arrived in the country late the night before then spent the night dozing in Brisbane airport due to the short amount of time between that flight and his flight to Sydney early that morning. Having then driven the distance from Sydney airport to Summer Bay straight after, Aden was hardly ready to take on an aggressive Nicole. He needed coffee first.

Taking a breath to prepare himself he knocked on the door he was standing in front of and waited a minute, grinning warily when the door opened to reveal the first real father figure he had ever had.

“Mate!” Roman cried in surprise, quickly pulling Aden in to the apartment and in for a man hug.

Aden happily returned the hug. As predicted, Roman was pleased to see him. Since deciding to return home Aden had been apprehensive about certain things. Was coming back the right thing to do? Would it simply cause more problems? Would it ruin all the progress he’d made? But being back in Roman’s apartment, back in his mates company, some of Aden’s worries disappeared. At least for the time being.

“Welcome home mate.” Roman said happily as he pulled back from the hug and gave him a once over. “You look good.”

“Thanks.” Aden said with a nod.

“So how are you?” Roman asked, his eyes searching Aden’s. “You doing o.k.?”

“I’m…not great.” Aden admitted honestly.

“That’s understandable. Especially since, well, you know.” Roman trailed off.

Aden only nodded his reply to the unspoken meaning behind Roman’s words. An unusually uncomfortable silence appeared between them for a moment and Aden was unable to stop memories of the last time he had seen Roman and been in his place from flashing into his mind.

Flashback - 14/06/10

2.11am

“Aden! Aden, wait!”

Aden slowed his pace but continued his fast trek across the dark car park. Roman quickly caught up with him, grabbing one shoulder, forcing Aden to turn and face him.

“Aden. You know she didn’t mean it.” Roman said, staring at Aden’s pale face.

“Yes she did.” Aden replied resignedly. “But do you know what the worst part is? It’s that she’s right.”

“Aden.” Roman’s voice was full of sadness.

“She’s right. It’s all my fault.”

“Aden-” Roman tried again but Aden pulled out of his grasp and began running across the car park. Not long and his running turned into a mad sprint. He ran and ran, not having any real direction as to where he was heading, just knowing he had to get as far away as he could.

By the time he arrived at Roman’s he was covered in small scratches from tree branches and his calves felt as though they were on fire. He looked around Roman’s place quickly, unsurprised that he had ended up there. The place had been his safe haven for so long that coming there had almost been second nature.

Heading up the stairs he quickly calculated his next move. It was all his fault. The cops my not see it that way but he sure did. He had to go. Get away from the people who disagreed. Get away from the person who agreed. Get away from the pain of what had happened and the words that had followed.

End flashback.

Aden was pulled out of his memory as Roman headed for the kitchen and began speaking again, as if the awkward moment had never happened.

“Well, when did you get back?” He asked casually. “You should have called, I would have come pick you up.”

Aden hid his relief that Roman wasn’t pursuing the his first attempt at conversation and followed him into the familiar kitchen. “Na, I wanted to surprise you guys.” he replied.

“You certainly did that.” Roman said grinning as he grabbed the orange juice out of the fridge and poured a glass. “You’re here for a while right?” He asked as he handed the glass to Aden.

“Uh, maybe.” Aden said with an uncertain shrug. “Kinda depends how things go, you know?”

Roman nodded. “It’s good to have you back mate, however long you can stay for.”

Aden was silent. He may have been feeling good being back at Roman’s, the one place he had felt safe enough to call home, but he wasn’t quite ready to say it was good to be back.

“Listen,” Roman continued as he grabbed his keys off the counter. “I’ve got to head to work but just chuck your stuff in your room, make yourself back at home and I will see you tonight.”

“You don’t have to put me up Roman.” Aden said honestly. Sure he had hoped he would be able to stay here with Roman and Nicole, but he didn’t expect it.

“Don’t be silly.” Roman replied, already opening the front door. “I’m not going to kick out family am I?”

7.45am

Aden heard Nicole the moment she woke up. Turned out she woke up exactly the same way now as she did when Aden lived there. An exaggerated groan at being awake that could be heard throughout the entire house. This was usually followed by stamping feet, running water and loud and terrible singing of some 90’s boy band as she made herself beautiful.

Finally the singing stopped and Aden heard her thundering footsteps coming down the stairs and heading straight for the kitchen. He knew she had some steam to let off before their big reunion and knowing indifference and her usual snark would be a pissed off Nicole’s weapon of choice, he figured it was best to start the same way. Continuing to eat his toast as he casually glanced at her when she stopped short in the doorway, attempting to hide her surprise.

“Well, well, well. Look what the cat dragged in.” Indifference and snark.

Aden gasped in mock excitement. “You guys got a cat?!”

He fought a grin as Nicole narrowed her eyes, crossed her arms against her chest and began tapping one foot with one hip jutted to the side. Her typical “You’re in for a verbal ass kicking” stance.

“Aw c’mon Nic.” Aden continued smirking at her. “We both know you missed me. In fact you probably spent the first few months I was gone pining for me…which would explain the cat.”

If possible, Nicole’s eyes narrowed even more. “You’re a jerk.”

“So I’ve been told.”

“You didn’t even say goodbye.”

Aden’s retort got stuck in the back of his throat at the flash pain in Nicole’s eyes. “I’m sorry Nic.” He said genuinely.

He waited uncomplainingly as Nicole stared at him. Finally her posture relaxed and she gave a small huff of forgiveness, moving to sit at the table with. “Damn you. You know I can never stay angry when I look at those baby blues.”

Aden laughed. It felt good to be around Nicole again. The girl had a way of making him smile. It was one of her many talents.

“So how’s Hawaii?”

Aden grinned. “Awesome.”

“Well maybe once I get over my jealously you can tell me about it.“ Nicole said with a smirk. “For now you can just tell me how much you missed me.”

“You think I missed you?”

“I know you did.”

Aden rolled his eyes. “If I say that I did, do you promise to never tell anyone that I admitted to it?”

“Are you serious?” Nicole raised one perfectly plucked eyebrow. “Weather you say it or not, I plan on telling the whole town just how much you missed me and that I‘m the reason you came back.”

“Then no. I didn’t miss you one bi - ow!” Aden’s smirk fell as Nicole aimed a punch at his shoulder. “That hurt.” He said laughing.

“Lame.” Nicole said with a grin. “Even Geoff can take my girly punches.”

“Ah and how is Geoff?” Aden asked and felt a surge of protectiveness when noticing another flicker of pain behind Nicole’s eyes. “What’s wrong? What did he do?”

“He didn’t do anything.” Nicole said with a role of her eyes. “I broke up with him a few days ago is all.”

Aden nodded. “How come?”

“Just wasn’t working.”

Aden knew Nicole was lying but didn’t bother pushing her. “Wanna change the subject?” He asked, giving her an easy out.

“Uh-huh.” She said softly and paused for a moment. “Now as much as I would like it to be true, I’m pretty sure I’m not the reason you came back, so spill. Why are you back?”

“Straight to the point huh?”

Nicole lifted one shoulder in half a shrug. “You know me. No reason to beat around the bush.”

“Straight from one unwanted conversation to another.”

“You don’t want to tell me why you came back?” Nicole asked.

Aden swallowed. “There’s no reason really. I guess it was just time to come home.”

Nicole gave him a dubious look. “You don’t actually expect me to believe that do you? Aden, you’re basically my brother. You think I don‘t know when you‘re lying?.”

Aden ignored the sharp tug at his heart when Nicole stated him as her brother. It meant a lot to him but he wasn’t ready to deal with his feelings right now, good or bad. Being back in the bay was tough enough. Pasting a smirk on his face he countered Nicole’s question with one of his own. “You think I have some secret agenda for coming home?”

“Yes I do.” Nicole said, sounding very sure of herself.

“Why?”

“You mean other than your comment about unwanted conversations?” Nicole said with an easy grin.

“That was simply due to where this conversation could lead.” Aden said grinning back. “So yes, other than that, why do you think I have actual reason for returning?”

Aden waited for Nicole to answer and was surprised to see the confidence she originally had vanish.

“Well,” she started, “it just seems, I dunno, kind of uncoincidental that you chose today of all days to come home.”

“Uncoincidenal? Is that even a word?” Aden asked attempting to avoid whatever subject Nicole was hoping to bring up.

Nicole rolled her eyes. “I don’t know, probably not, but don’t change the subject. I get that some things you don’t want to talk about but just tell me, is there a particular reason you are home?”

“Yes.” Aden figured there was no point in lying.

“Does it have anything to with what today is?”

“No.” Technically he was telling the truth.

“Does Belle know you’re back?”

Aden felt himself stiffen at Belle’s name. He found it hard enough to think about Belle. Talking about her was not an option. “No.” He said standing and avoiding Nicole’s eyes.

“Don’t you think you should let her know?”

Aden sighed. “Don’t you think you should leave it?”

“Aden-”

“Seriously Nicole. Leave it.” He interrupted and headed out of the kitchen. “I’m going to grab my stuff and when I get back you had better have new conversation material.”

“Sixteen months one week and one day since you left and you haven’t changed at all.” Aden heard Nicole call to his retreating form.

So what happened that day then?!

Great chapter once again. I loved the Nic/Aden scene. Very true to the characters.

Can't wait to see what's going on. What is it that Aden did?

Belle's reaction's going to be intense. I just hope it doesn't send her into a downward spiral.

xoxo

Archived