Tony Holden - Jon Sivewright

Dean

I want me a Tony :wub: He's like the most caring, supportive, perfect husband ever and I just LOVED the way he supported Rachel when he found out she had post natal depression. In his own pain and fear of losing Harry he could easily have blamed Rachel for not accepting his help but he didn't, instead he blamed himself, he's just such a lovely guy. He dealt with the situation to sensitively and he's just been amazing with Rachel all throughout, even before he knew about the depression, he tried to hard to encourage her abilities as a Mum. He's lovely :wub: Rant over :lol:

• 8 months later...

Good lord I found this thread tucked away on page 5! :o

I found something of interest tonight so thought I'd share.... a bit of a gem considering the lack of Jon interviews floating around! I don't recall anyone mentioning it before but I could be wrong.

If you click this link http://www.cpod.org.au/page.php?id=151&amp..._style=edge.css and go down to the podcast from 5/2/10. Jon's interview is on at the beginning and also about half way through the podcast.

He talks about being a firefighter, starting out in acting (including his non-appearance in Fireflies!.... I wondered why I didn't spot him in the episode he was supposed to be in!), lots of stuff about H&A, Tachel and various other bits and bobs. Well worth a listen though he says 'gee whizz' a lot! :P

The interview was about a week or two before the news broke about Jon and Amy leaving so there is no mention of that unfortunately.

Oh wow thank you for finding that Karen, it really is hidden away!

It was nice to hear him talk about his life and get to hear him as Jon rather than Tony. He said some lovely things about Amy and comes across as really loving his job. I liked how he mentioned little Harry when the presenter mentioned his family being Rachel, Jack and Lucas. He didn't want little Harry being forgotten :lol: He never struck me as a gee-whizz person either :lol: He seems very modest and not fame hungry or anything which is really nice.

Interesting how he mentioned that Tony enjoys the Bay when the presenter asked if Tony would ever want to leave

:wink: It's a shame we didn't get to hear about his thoughts of Tony/Rachel leaving but maybe something will come out when they do go.

• 1 month later...

I am posting this on behalf of -Karen-. She has compiled a variety of questions on her all time favourite character obsession Tony “HotDad” Holden.

As Tony heads to Boston with Rachel and Harry, let’s look back on HotDad’s 5 years in the Bay and his various ups and downs.

Below are some questions which give you the opportunity to express your opinions about his character and storylines. Feel free to add any pictures, screencaps or additional comments.

What made you first notice Tony? Also, what is it about Tony’s character that appeals/doesn’t appeal to you?

Do you think Jon Sivewright was the right actor to play Tony and why? What do you think he brought to the role?

Tony was mainly a background character for his first year or so on the show? What storylines would you have liked him to be involved in during this time?

What were your favourite Tony storylines?

What was Tony’s worst storyline?

What other storylines would you liked to have seen Tony involved in?

What were your favourite Tony scenes? (1) With a love interest? (2) With a family member? (3) With a friend?

What do you feel was the best written Tony scene during his time on the show?

Do you think Tony made a good partner? Why/why not?

What do you think about Tony’s relationship with Beth? Also, if Beth hadn’t died would her and Tony have still been together now?

During Tony’s time on the show he has been portrayed as a good family man – Do you think HotDad was a good dad and why? Also, was he a good father figure to and other characters such as Mattie and Geoff?

In your opinion, what is HotDad’s best look? And his worst?!

What are some of your favourite Tony quotes?

What would you like to see Jon go onto do now? What kind of TV shows/films would he be suited to?

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER

What made you first notice Tony? Also, what is it about Tony’s character that appeals/doesn’t appeal to you?

As ashamed as I am to admit it; I don't think I even acknowledged Tony until he supported Rachel through the aftermath of Reverend Hall. I think he was so seriously underused up until that point that he was never involved in anything noticeable (apart from Beth's death but I wasn't an avid viewer then) so when I saw how amazing he was with Rachel that's when I started to notice him more.

I think Tony's one of those pretty perfect characters; he's an amazingly supportive partner, compassionate, loving, gentlemanly, amazing with his and other children so there's a lot that appeals to me! If I had to pick one think I don't like it's probably the way he sleeps around when he gets hurt. And I hated his stubbornness during 2010 - actually I disliked a lot of Tony in 2010 but I refuse to believe that is his character and just put in down to poor writing.

Do you think Jon Sivewright was the right actor to play Tony and why? What do you think he brought to the role?

Absolutely - it's because of Jon's portrayal that I love Tony so much. He gives such warmth to the character and vulnerability; you can tell he's been hurt a lot in his life and he just had the ability to have these sad eyes when the script asked for it that broke your heart. And I loved the way he always tilted his head when he was being romantic.

Tony was mainly a background character for his first year or so on the show? What storylines would you have liked him to be involved in during this time?

I never watched Tony's first scenes but I do think they made a mistake pairing him up with Beth so quickly. They never really gave him a chance to develop in his own character and instead he just became Beth's handbag - doing her washing. I think maybe they should have used this time to explore his past; not with Kate because they did that but for example we don't even know if his parents are still alive. Plus I think they should have had him more involved in helping other kids out - I loved seeing him looking after Geoff and Annie that it would have been nice to see a bit more.

I couldn't possibly choose a favourite! (1)I think Jack's death was when Jon really excelled himself as an actor and we truly saw the extent of Tony's role as a father and how much of a broken man he is; how much he's been through. (2) Harry's kidnapping again was just performed incredibly and my heart just broke for Tony when he waited up for news that he was okay - you just couldn't believe he'd have to go through losing a son again. (3) I loved him at the reunion when we saw him drunk, it was nice to see Tony having some fun and also how he stayed loyal to Rachel and put Jazz in her place. (4) Seeing Tony become a father again; the tiny little glimpses of excitement even though he was grieving for Jack and then just how at ease and adoring he was towards Harry.

The boxing storyline springs to mind immediately! It was so awfully done, painted Tony as a stubborn idiot who had no concern for his wife's unease with what he was doing (I'm not saying he should have given it up because of her but I would have liked to have seen him compromise) Plus his ridiculous hissy fits with John just made Tony look incredible immature when his maturity has always been something that's evident in Tony. (Although the fight scene with John was hilarious so that was one good thing that came out of it - and the smooch with Rachel back home after :lol: )

I'd have liked to have seen Tony involved in a storyline where Rachel was kidnapped and he was actually concerned this time! We never got to see much of hero Tony after he was put with Rachel so more of him rescuing people would have been nice! I'd have loved to have seen a storyline where we meet his parents if they are still alive; I'd love to know what they were like. And maybe more of his role as a teacher; perhaps a student has a crush on him and we see how he deals with it!

What were your favourite Tony scenes? (1) With a love interest? (2) With a family member? (3) With a friend?

(1) Being the big Tachel fan I am (and it would have to be Rachel) I honestly couldn't pick. The wedding would have to be one - I just wanted to marry Tony to when he wiped a tear away during the vows, told Rachel she looked beautiful and rubbed her bump. I thought he was incredible in the episode where Harry was in hospital - he was amazingly supportive to Rachel when he begged her to seek help because he didn't want to lose anyone else he loved; even though he had a right to be angry with her. The spanner episode also springs to mind! I loved seeing the protective side of him and also the more saucy side when he smacked Rachel's bum haha! Oh oh and when he first felt the baby kick; seeing him smile after being so sad over Jack was lovely and he was so amazed by it. Loved it!

(2) I loved all of his scenes with his children particularly - especially Harry just because I have a thing for men with babies and he had such natural ease with him. Some of my favourites were when Tony held Jack when he was crying over Martha's cancer. When he read Lucas's script and realised the character was him and told Lucas he was amazing and he said no you are. And with Harry I loved when he'd just been given back to them after being kidnapped and Tony was poking out his tongue at him when Harry was doing it back. I also loved the scene where Tony was teasing Gina over John; I loved seeing him be the cheeky little brother.

(3) Poor HotDad didn't really have any friends did he? Once scene I'll always remember is when he tried explaining to Alf why Bridget couldn't work at the Bar and he's like well..we...*hands motion* and Alf's like Strewth! Haha! Also I loved the scene with Aden on his stag night when he says how amazing it feels to know you're going to spend the rest of your life with someone who makes you that happy. Oh and also when Aden quizzed him when he first told Rachel he loved her.

Hmm so hard to pick just one and seperate best written from best acted. I think the one I'll have to go with is the monologue Tony had when Jack died where he explained to Roman about finding his body and praying that he would be okay even though deep down knowing it wouldn't be. It was so heart-wrenching and painful to hear.

Put it this way - he's raised my expectations so high I don't think any real man would be able to live up to it :P He was always incredibly supportive even if he didn't agree, would always give up his time to help the person he loved, he's very good looking! He's charming, always caring and looking after the person he was with; worrying about them. Just perfect!

What do you think about Tony’s relationship with Beth? Also, if Beth hadn’t died would her and Tony have still been together now?

Do you want my honest opinion? I hated Tony with Beth. I think the only reason they were put together was because they were around the same age and I hate when a character's brought in just to be paired up with an existing character. He never had a chance to shine when he was with Beth and I found her really controlling and thought he never stuck up for himself; was always really timid around her. There was never any passion or chemistry with them they were just like an old married couple. Sorry any Bony fans :P I just thought Tony could do better than her. I'd hope they wouldn't still be together if she was alive because I think her death was the best thing that ever happened to him - he became a character in his own right. Plus the fact that he admitted he would never have proposed to Beth if she wasn't leaving combined with the fact that he didn't want to accompany her travelling whereas we saw him make those sacrifices with Rachel makes me think deep down he was just comfortable in the relationship - not really in love as such. I'm sure he loved her don't get me wrong but I never saw him look like he was in love.

During Tony’s time on the show he has been portrayed as a good family man – Do you think HotDad was a good dad and why? Also, was he a good father figure to and other characters such as Mattie and Geoff?

He was an amazing Dad. You could always tell his whole life revolved around his children; he'd dedicated his entire life to bringing up Lucas and Jack after their Mum died and not a lot of men would do that. I loved seeing him not just with his own children but helping other kids to. I thought he had a really sweet relationship with Mattie and then Annie and the fact that he held off setting a wedding date with Rachel because he was worried about what Matilda would think showed how much he cared about their feelings. And when he was with Harry he just knew all the little tricks and was so comfortable and at ease with him. I loved seeing his role as a Dad.

His wedding suit was a definite favourite. And I thought he looked sexy when he went to see Rachel at the hospital after the wedding when he just had his shirt and trousers on. I also loved what he wore to his first date with Rachel and at the reunion - purple suits him! :P I loved the new jeans he started wearing after Harry was born to - plain coloured t-shirts always looked really good on him (like the one John ripped in the fight!) and finally the navy shirt and black trousers he wore when he went to ask Gina about the teaching job.

Worst look - the long hair. Enough said. Oh and that horrible yellow rugby shirt - did nothing for him!

They'd mostly have to be his romantic quotes I'm afraid:

"I can't bear to imagine my life without you but I can't bear to make you miserable either

Leah saying Harry was gorgeous and Tony saying "err hello" and pointing to himself.

"I've lost too many people in my life and I do not want to lose you,"

"so you've seen my wife naked?"

"hey there peanut, how's it going?"

"Harry mate...never get married,"

"More than anything, I want us to be parents, to raise a child together and to see you become a Mother"

"I just wanna help Rach, I don't want to let you down again."

"Pretty soon we'll get outselves into a nice little routine and everything will fall into place" (something like that."

"You are going to make a beautiful mother"

"Rachel: where did you get these? Tony: I sheared that sheep myself!

What would you like to see Jon go onto do now? What kind of TV shows/films would he be suited to?

Either really, I think I'd like to see him on something like Rush so we could see him in the uniform haha! A sad part of me as a Tachel fan would love to see him and Amy on another show together as a couple so I could pretend Tachel are still around! It would be nice to see him play something different but he does lovely so well, maybe he should stick to family man characters :P

Edited by charmed60

The day he came to Summer Bay of course! How could I not notice a man like him! Really. I've always been a big Beth fan, they were neighbours, Beth and Tony were friends and I loved their relationship. So yeah, I've loved him since he came.

Ohhh, yeah! I could not imagine anyone but him. He is so hot! Like really. Like Jon hasn't got long acting career, he just started, but where has he been for so long? Waist of talent! He is really good actor and I think it's good he wasn't known before Tony's role, because there wasn't any comparing him with earlier roles. I think he was funny and I was melting when he smiled. Great! :wub:

More, more and more scenes and storylines with him and Beth! They were waisting talents! Jon and Clarissa had such great chemistry, they were so good together. Why didn't they use it? Can't understand. Like marriage? Okay, maybe it was too soon. Tony had so good relationship with his sons so they should've used it more. I don't know how.

Him and Beth getting together, Beth's death, his relationship with Matilda, Lucas' troubles with Mum's loss and living with Beth, getting together with Rachel, Jack's death, proposals and wedding. Especially second proposal, football team and relationship with Geoff and Annie, Martha & Jack's first wedding, the explosion and Jack being paralysed afterwards, when they first came and it was revealed that Jack had killed a teenager and how he protected Jack.

The thing with having so many women after Beth's death. Naomi was horrible!

Other storylines? His life was like... I don't know. Circus? He had everything in it. Marriage, kids, deaths, friends, affairs... I just wish we could've seen more of him with Beth. They were too background! I loved them together. They were waisting him and his talent. Shame. First year was waisting...

1) Omg, all the scenes with Beth! Every single one. Then playing with Harry and happy scenes with Rachel, like first date and first kiss, first night together and dinner after that, wedding, proposals etc.

2) Swinging with Matilda, surfing with Jack or Lucas, moving in with Jack and Lucas, first day at school with Lucas

3) Scenes with Alf and coaching football team, night with Aden before Adelle's wedding, scenes with Martha

I think I have to say the day Beth died and Tony saw her hand hanging... It made me cry! It was heartbreaking. Jon acted it so well. It was so realistic.

What? If I had him, I'd be in heaven! He was so caring, loving and supportive. Jack's death was just so hard on him, he was never the same, but that's no miracle. He was honest and always there for others. He helped always if he could. He never meant to hurt anyone. His heart is in the right place!

Oh, gosh... I LOVED them! Just loved. I was devestated when I heard about Beth's death. I didn't think I'd be able to get over about it and I couldn't imagine Tony with anyone else. But there came Rachel. and she was perfect. If Beth hadn't died... It's hard. I loved Beth & Tony and I'm a big Tachel fan. As much as it hurts I'd have to say, I hope he'd be with Beth. I don't know why, but they were real soulmates and the way he reacted when he saw her hand hanging... It just tells more than thousand words. Not that he didn't love Rach that much. Of course he did. And it's weird to think him without her and Harry, but Beth was his first love at Summer Bay, but knowing the writers I doubt they would let Tony and Beth be together like that.

HotDad was the best dad ever! I wish I had one like that (don't get me wrong, I love my dad). He was supporting, but at the same time funny. He was a best friend and father. Caring but he could be rough. He loved and protected his childs no matter what and would do anything for them ,even kill! He was the kind of man you could always count on and know that he is there. He was a total family man. I'm glad we had a man like him. He was definitely a great father figure to others, like Mattie and Geoff. It mattered to him, what Mattie thought of him and Rach and he always worried about her. He helped Geoff so much and was always there for him, Lucas was even jealous, so of course he was a good father figure. He wasn't afraid to communicate and did everything he could to help his children. Just perfect! I wouldn't chance a thing about him!

Let's be honest, he never looked bad! Even with his hair too long, I loved him. and with short hair I love him even more. Best look was when he didn't have his shirt on! :wub: He was always so handsome, only joy to watch.

Anything that came out of his mouth was pure gold! Okay, maybe not everything, but most of it. I can't pick a favourite :)

I'd like to see more films. I know he has done some short movies, but I haven't found them anywhere :( (If anyone know anything, PM me please). Some comedys, some dramas. Anything, I'd watch anything for him! As long as I can see him. He is so talented, he could act anything out. Of course I'd like to see him back at Summer Bay again one day. So, I hope we hear a lot about him and as long as he is happy, I'm happy too.

Do you want my honest opinion? I hated Tony with Beth. I think the only reason they were put together was because they were around the same age and I hate when a character's brought in just to be paired up with an existing character. He never had a chance to shine when he was with Beth and I found her really controlling and thought he never stuck up for himself; was always really timid around her. There was never any passion or chemistry with them they were just like an old married couple. Sorry any Tony fans I just thought Tony could do better than her. I'd hope they wouldn't still be together if she was alive because I think her death was the best thing that ever happened to him - he became a character in his own right. Plus the fact that he admitted he would never have proposed to Beth if she wasn't leaving combined with the fact that he didn't want to accompany her travelling whereas we saw him make those sacrifices with Rachel makes me think deep down he was just comfortable in the relationship - not really in love as such. I'm sure he loved her don't get me wrong but I never saw him look like he was in love.

I think the problem with Beth and Tony was due to the fact they didn't have storylines that involved them as a couple.

The main reason why Clarrissa House quit the show was because she felt the producers were not going to give her character any more storylines.

If Beth had stayed on the show I could have seen her and Tony becoming a mainstay couple like Alf and Ailsa and taking in lost strays.

But as much as I like Beth I am glad she left because then we probably would not have had Gina and I like Gina better.

Edited by john003au

Hmm, when I first agreed to answer these questionnaires I wasn't expecting to have to write an essay...Here you go.

I think the scene that first had me go “I want to be Tony Holden when I grow up” was when he defended Jack to the town meeting after they found out about him shooting that girl, which just demonstrated that he was exactly what anyone would want a father to be. I think that was what most appealed to me about him, that loyal fatherly attitude he had towards the younger characters and his ability to remain mostly reasonable when everyone around him were losing their heads. He did seem to have an unfortunate tendency to hit the self-destruct button, get drunk and sleep with random women during trauma. Which, thinking about it, was a trait his two older sons seemed to share up to a point.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say no-one else could have played Tony but he was certainly well cast. I guess what he brought to the role was a kind of everyman quality, an idea that you could be a good father and a professional but still be someone who could have a drink with the boys.

I don’t think I really thought of him as a background character at the time because he did seem to have a decent amount of screentime even if he didn’t have storylines of his own, he was involved with and contributing to his children and extended family’s storylines. I guess it would have been nice if they’d made more of his relationship with Beth but the shows needs strong, stable couples like they were and giving them dramas would probably have undermined that.

I guess I think Tony worked best in other’s people storylines, it’s hard to think of any of his own. I liked his involvement with the Campbells and the way he was determined to help them. I wish we’d seen a bit more of that side of him.

I think I’d have to say the storyline with Bridget. It largely seemed to be a plot device to bring her to Summer Bay and make Rachel instantly suspicious of her but a bit of rewriting could have dispensed with it.

I kind of wish they’d have involved him more with his extended family and the Bay’s youngsters in the later years, I liked his storylines with Rachel but I’d have preferred to see him with more characters.

(1)There’s a scene that sticks in my mind from shortly before he and Beth got together when he’s trying to persuade her to be a bit more sympathetic towards Amanda because of her past and she says “Well, my first husband cheated on me throughout my marriage and my second husband left me for his first wife and I don’t complain!”, then pauses and goes “That was too much information, wasn’t it?” And he goes “No, I’m glad you felt you could tell me…”

(2)It’s not really a Tony-centric scene but I loved that one where Matilda moved back in, after she’d been telling Belle that she moved out because of the reminders of Beth but now she kept dreaming about her and Belle suggested she was telling her to go back. And Tony says “Maybe now your mum will stop nagging me in my sleep to get you back.” Then Lucas comes in and Tony tells him they’ve got a new housemate and he says “Make that two” and beckons Geoff in, who he’d previously refused to let live there, and shows him to his room. Tony and Mattie stands there bemused for a moment and then Mattie says “Maybe she nags him too.”

(3)Only one that really sticks in the mind was the start of the year when he takes Alf fishing and they’re stood on the beach at dawn with Alf rediscovering his love of life. I thought it was good of Tony to help him like that.

The scene that always sticks in my mind was after the barn explosion when Jack was badly injured and they were told Peter’s liver could save him. And Tony goes to see Dan to ask him to give consent. I was completely impressed with the way that, despite everything, he was completely respectful and actually seemed to be trying to help Dan as much as Jack. Another “I want to be Tony Holden when I grow up” moment.

Yes, I did. He seemed to be this laidback guy who ended up with a lot of independently-minded women. Which sometimes made it seem like he was being walked on but I liked the way he was supportive even when he didn’t entirely agree with what was going on, like when Rachel took Joe in.

I actually really liked them together. Although she was as strong as Rachel, she seemed more willing to listen to Tony and open up to him, like when he persuaded her to give Ric and Mattie a chance, and maybe even him to her, like the scene where he tells her about his wife’s death. I do think they’d probably still have been together if she hadn’t died. Although she turned down his proposal because he was doing it for the wrong reason at the wrong time, I think if she’d made it back he’d have proposed again and she’d have accepted.

Yes, I think he was. He was someone that could be a friend to his sons while still being someone they looked up to. They did seem to wreck his relationship with Lucas a bit near the end, I didn’t mind the Naomi thing because Tony didn’t know about her and Lucas but there were times when it seemed like he didn’t really understand him. But they did seem to improve things before he left. I liked the way he took Geoff and Annie in but they did seem to neglect that aspect of his character once they moved in with Irene and he ended up with Rachel, the only time we saw him being a father figure to Geoff after that was after Melody’s assault (and that was marred by his irresponsible attitude towards Aden’s actions). There were a couple of times in late 2009/early 2010 when he seemed to be developing that sort of relationship with Aden but they were just isolated scenes. It’s ironic that we actually seemed to be seeing that side of his character again with Xavier right before he left.

Leah: “I need a male opinion. I thought I’d call on a male.” Tony: “I have to speak on behalf of the other three billion?”

At Jack’s funeral: “He was my best friend and I seriously don’t know what I’m going to do without him.”

Given the lack of Oz imports in the UK, I doubt we’ll see him again whatever he does… It’d be interesting to see him in a sitcom because he does have a good sense of comic timing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...