Jack/Martha

Dean

I agree that

if Jack has to leave, it's better to kill him off than split him and Martha up again

.I just wish they'd given them a break first:Since they've been back together, she's been pregnant with another man's child, then they gave her cancer and now this.Would it have hurt to let them be happy for just a little bit?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with everything skykat said. This is one ship I've never let go of and even though there was some times when it felt like the writers got tediously carried away with them, I always really believed that they loved each other- which is not something a lot of couples convince me of. I absolutely loved their initial chemistry when they first got together (as with most couples it's really easy to do) they were fresh and and fun and easily watchable. There was even a bit of snark in there.

The problem with the storyline definitley came with the drawn out will they/won't they (a storyline that hasn't annoyed me so much since Ross and Rachel) but that said, because of the time it took them to get together, when they say they've waited so long or that after all they've been through I believe them. There are some other couples on the show that have used that term "we belong together" or "we're soulmates" after a few minutes and all I can do is laugh. With Jack and Martha, a lot of their history substantiates what they say.

I can't be bothered to touch on the subject of Sam's part in their reunion but I have to say what I really liked about them getting back together was that it wasn't just one of those ott moments of passion characters seem to fall into where their "lust" or whatever overrides their head. They talked and then they decided rationally that it was time. And the later part of 2008 has definitley been a massive defining point in their relationship. I absolutely love the cancer storyline and the effects resulting from it. Everything has seemed so natural and mellow between them for the last few months, a maturity they didn't have before. It makes me a little bit sad to think that it's over when they've finally grown. But as mentioned earlier in the thread this ending honours their relationship and time together and opens up a lot of posibilites for Martha to grow even further as a character.

Edited by Jamey-Maria

There are some other couples on the show that have used that term "we belong together" or "we're soulmates" after a few minutes and all I can do is laugh. With Jack and Martha, a lot of their history substantiates what they say.

It doesn't have to take years and lots of history to fall in love with someone and feel that strongly about them. Strongly enough that you believe you belong together. Especially if the couple has been through alot with each other in that short period of time. It happens in everyday life too, so I don't find it unrealistic. Some people just happen to develop a stronger bond, and connection with each other from the beginning. Whilst others don't, or just need much longer to do so. I feel Jack and Martha needed more time. Because honestly, apart from the cancer, they've barely stood by each other through much. They tended too give up at the first sign that things weren't perfect.

I do agree with you about them loving each other though. This will always be one of my most hated relationships, not sad to see it go in the least, but lately I've started to find them to be much more beliveable as a couple.

Edited by Jody

Fair enough point I just personally don't buy it. With some exceptions I think a lot of the things you feel at the beginning are chemical and tend to come and go. Whether you feel a strong bond or connection I don't think a couple of weeks or a month is enough time for you to really know enough about someone to be sure you're "meant to be." I never said you need a long history but a substantial amount of time would be required. A lot of people do feel that way early on, I never said it was unrealistic but it's idealised and most of them don't stay together anyway. Proof of that is the number of h&a characters that date someone and then find out they are totally manipulative, or they lied, or they're violent. Although it appears to have come out of no where it makes sense if you're looking at it through the characters' perspective. They thought it was fabulous and they would be "together forever" before they realised they didn't know enough about them.

I'm getting off track now but I just wanted to clear that up, and my point was that Jack and Martha have known each other together and apart long enough to really know each other and that they're in love.

Whether you feel a strong bond or connection I don't think a couple of weeks or a month is enough time for you to really know enough about someone to be sure you're "meant to be."

I honestly don't think anyone can be sure they are meant to be together. But more like they want to believe, and hopes that they are. I agree with you about the time though. I was talking more a couple of months, not weeks or one month. I guess for me it's always been about your expierances together as a couple rather then your time spent together. But yeah, I don't think one month or weeks is enough, but just that it doesn't have to take a year as well.

I never said it was unrealistic but it's idealised

I agree with you. It is, most of the time anyway. Also I think Home and Away(and T.V shows in general) have a thing about throwing those words around too much. Anyways enough about this topic.

Back to Jack and Martha. I've liked that the writers gave them a long break towards the last few months of last year. It made them easier to handle. And their scenes weren't so over the top anymore when they were on. Their happy scenes, towards the end, stopped feeling so cheesy(like they always did), and their sad scenes actually made me feel for them instead of not caring. Can't say I like them, but it felt nice to watch an episode with them in it without wishing they would just disappear.

Edited by Jody