Aden Jefferies - Todd Lasance

Foxy

Hmm...I realise this is a sensitive subject but really, what are we saying here?That being abused excuses anything?That you can try and kill someone and get away with it because you've been abused and you had a reason?That you can beat up someone that's supposed to be a friend because they remind you of the person that abused you?That you can treat people who are kind to you as badly as you want because you were abused and think you had a reason?

If the main issue on locking someone up is whether or not they're still a danger, then to my mind Aden is.What if he found someone else who'd been guilty of a sexual offence?He seems to think what he did to Axel was all right so what's to stop him beating them up as well?Or what if one of his brothers came back and he decided that, hey, he could have protected me, he deserves to die as well?Only a few weeks after being given a good behaviour bond Aden beat up someone else.Aden is dangerous.He should not have been let back on the streets just because he spilt his guts about his terrible childhood.

And...did Larry even know anyway?I'm not convinced.Larry went through exactly what Aden went through yet no-one, not even Aden's therapist, seems to think it excuses him.He was in denial.He didn't want to face up to what had happened to him so he couldn't face up to the fact it was happening to his sons.When he saw evidence of it, as he has repeatedly said, even during that confrontation with Aden at the house, he made sure it didn't happen again.There is no justification for what Aden did.He was just looking for someone to punish.He couldn't kill the person that harmed him, so he tried to kill the person that had stood by and let it happen.

And it's a tiny point but I don't think he kidnapped Rachel and Belle because he was afraid of going to jail.In fact, I think he thought that would happen anyway;he said he'd let them go once Larry was dead and he must have known that they'd then tell the police what happened.He kidnapped them because he wanted Larry to die.He didn't want them helping him and he didn't want them phoning an ambulance.He just wanted his father dead.And I really don't like the fact that that has simply been forgotten.

I love Aden, since I don’t know when but he has got to be my favourite character on the show. People have already said why they love him and that’s exactly my reason as well, his fiery nature, just how his character have been developed is awesome. I hated him when he was on 3 years ago with cassie and ric thing. I thought he was an ass. But I started liking him this year especially when his grandfather and father storyline started to surface. Hated him so much still through the Tam thing. Was that this year or last year? Lol can’t remember. He portrays his character soo well it is truly believable and it is evident through his abuse storyline and his relationship with Belle. But without a doubt, one of the things I love about him the most is his relationship and interaction with a variety of other characters and how he’s able to have the perfect chemistry with every single one of them. THAT, I think all comes down to Todd Lasance, an amazing actor and talent, it’s hard not to have chemistry with him. I love every single one of his relationships. The Nicole sibling bond, they’re very cute and fun. Nightmare relationship but totally awesome as friends. The Roman interaction, he’s been there for him and took him in, they have great scenes together. The Melody friendship which has worked out so well, he’s always very kind to her and listens to her. Love all their scenes. And last but not least, Aden and Belle. The best thing that has happened on the show recently imo is this couple. Aden has changed alot because of her, he’s come a long way since. They have this intensity and connection that is like no other and it is amazing to watch. Again, full credit to Todd and Jess for making this couple work so well. Todd is an amazing actor given compelling storylines. The Aden/Larry one was such a great storyline and both actors did an awesome job.

Hmm...I realise this is a sensitive subject but really, what are we saying here?That being abused excuses anything?That you can try and kill someone and get away with it because you've been abused and you had a reason?That you can beat up someone that's supposed to be a friend because they remind you of the person that abused you?That you can treat people who are kind to you as badly as you want because you were abused and think you had a reason?

If the main issue on locking someone up is whether or not they're still a danger, then to my mind Aden is.What if he found someone else who'd been guilty of a sexual offence?He seems to think what he did to Axel was all right so what's to stop him beating them up as well?Or what if one of his brothers came back and he decided that, hey, he could have protected me, he deserves to die as well?Only a few weeks after being given a good behaviour bond Aden beat up someone else.Aden is dangerous.He should not have been let back on the streets just because he spilt his guts about his terrible childhood.

And...did Larry even know anyway?I'm not convinced.Larry went through exactly what Aden went through yet no-one, not even Aden's therapist, seems to think it excuses him.He was in denial.He didn't want to face up to what had happened to him so he couldn't face up to the fact it was happening to his sons.When he saw evidence of it, as he has repeatedly said, even during that confrontation with Aden at the house, he made sure it didn't happen again.There is no justification for what Aden did.He was just looking for someone to punish.He couldn't kill the person that harmed him, so he tried to kill the person that had stood by and let it happen.

And it's a tiny point but I don't think he kidnapped Rachel and Belle because he was afraid of going to jail.In fact, I think he thought that would happen anyway;he said he'd let them go once Larry was dead and he must have known that they'd then tell the police what happened.He kidnapped them because he wanted Larry to die.He didn't want them helping him and he didn't want them phoning an ambulance.He just wanted his father dead.And I really don't like the fact that that has simply been forgotten.

You just touched on one of the most contraversial subjects in the criminal justice system today. What Aden went through means he is more predisposed to a 'crimogenic need' these are things such as being abused at home, physically or sexually, domestic violence (maybe not even against a child but a father beating a child's mother), or even substance abuse in the home etc.

The main debate with 'crimogenic needs' is whether it's an excuse or just an explanation. Criminologists who actually study why crime occurs are more likely to say that it's an explanation. However, politics, especially in England, with one of Jack Straw's (Ministry of Justice) latest speeches, has tried to convince the public that it as an excuse, and victim support is more important than offender support. Re-balancing the criminal justice system in favour of the victim as it's called. As politicians are more in the public eye than criminologists it is more likely that any given member of the public would agree, especially when they have the wool pulled over their eyes by politicians saying what they want the public to hear, instead of the actual truth (They are in a position of trust so it's only natural that we accept what they say). All with the intention of keeping the public safe and not afraid of what's out there, so probably necessary...

The judges comments when giving Aden the verdict reflect this as he said that 'Abuse of a child is one of the most hanus acts imaginable but that being said we are all the authors of our own destiny' or something along those lines. So he took into account Aden's mitigating circumstances and thereby showing he believed Aden's abuse to be the underlying cause (especially given the specificity of the case) but not an excuse for his behaviour.

Anyway, i just wanted to give a bit of information about why Aden might have reacted the way he did, and with real life evidence it's a wonder he didn't become more of a criminal before, although we did see him taking drugs, buying alcohol underage etc.

Most people will be able to work through their problems with a counsellor as long as they actually want to so if we are to assume that Aden continued with these sessions (even if we haven't seen so on screen) then i see no reason to think he's dangerous. I think the main point of Aden's case is that he didn't go out into the world and decide to kidnap or hurt some innocent person who he doesn't know, which would be what made him a psychopath (and he's definitely not a psychopath because the definition of a psychopath is that they don't feel guilt and Aden defnitely does, even if he doesn't show it for some time afterwards (except with the Axel thing, i'll give you that, lol).

In regards to your last paragraph, i thought that was all implied anyway and further emphasises that at that time, Aden did realise he could go to jail but he didn't care because it would be worth it if it meant killing his Dad would stop him being in pain. I also think that before this happened, Belle didn't realise quite how much Aden was affected by it, or how much it really affects any person.

So in conclusion, I feel that I definitely cannot excuse Aden's behaviour but I can accept that the abuse and his home life growing up (Events any child goes through can have an effect on them in later life, especially the later stages of puberty... especially when individuals begin to become sexually active - Evidence for this from many psychologists) is possibly one explanation for it and that he has had a fitting, humane punishment, for which he has been judged by the character and remorse he showed whilst on the stand.

I feel like i just wrote an essay (I'm meant to be writing one right now on a similar subject so i guess this is just practice, lol) although this was fairly biased and though i agree with what i said, i can't deny that Red Ranger 1 and others have made some good points.

That was very well put Jen (Wrongturntaken). I reckon you will write an excellent essay!

Going back to Aden. I do not believe for one mintute that being abused excuses this type of behaviour persay. However, what I was trying to say, is the abuse caused the mental breakdown of Aden. When someone has a breakdown of this nature, then all logical thought, as said before disappears. That person loses the ability to think through to the consequences of their actions. I believe that all Aden was thinking was I don't want my Dad to be here, to remind me of what happened & could have been prevented. I really do not think at the time he was thinking about if his Dad had actually died & what that would mean for everyone, himself included. I believe that if someone is abused as a child, like myself, but somehow manages to not have a breakdown, then this scenario would not happen.

You saw at the trial, that he was definitely of a more stable mind & knew what he did was wrong & why. He stated at the trial that if his Dad had died that he would have been "devestated" & that it would not have changed anything.

I do not feel that Aden would be a threat in the same way to anyone now. From what I have seen recently, he appears to be completely stable & not in anyway irrational.

^^Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I've been thinking.His abuse is an explanation(a motive, if you like, at least in the case of trying to kill Larry), not an excuse.He was responsible for his own actions and he shouldn't be absolved of that responsibility.I'm not sure the punishment fitted the crime, I think he committed some very serious offences and the sentence he received wasn't an adequate enough deterrent to prevent him doing the same thing again.I believe that he did eventually, as a result of his therapy, accept that his actions were not justified and feel remorse.But only in that case.I don't think Aden's a psychopath exactly before he wouldn't go around being randomly violent to people.But I do believe that if he found himself in another situation where someone deserved to be harmed, as with Axel, he would do it without compunction.He only showed remorse because he was shown that his reaction to Larry was a gut instinct and, when he allowed himself to think about it, he realised he didn't deserve to die.

Well if as you say he beat someone up weeks after the court case and unless it was self-defence then he should have DEFINITELY gone to jail because clearly he is still a threat to society and hasn’t learned anything but I will reserve judgment until I see the circumstances of that event.

Whether you like Aden or not you can’t deny that he is an extremely complicated character. Nothing is ever really black and white with him. He kind of reminds me of Kane in a way (except that he never raped anyone of course). Abused as a child causing him to become quite disturbed as he got older. Your typical run of the mill bully/bad boy turned good (I’m guessing this is the direction the writers will eventually follow).

I do feel he has some redeeming qualities such as his relationship with Roman and now Nicole and of course Belle. Regardless of what has happened it’s clear that he cares for her.

I do however hope one day he decides to visit his dad in jail.

I think the whole point of having to councelling storyline was to show that Aden understood that what he was doing was wrong and showed him becoming a 'reformed citizen'. It court, he accepted responsibility for his actions and admitted that he had to stop blaming other people for his mistakes. He has changed, he's not the angry abusive young man he used to be who yelled abuse at people for no particular reason. Aden has had many opportunities to go back to his old ways of being aggressive and lashing out, but he hasn't. He could have easily hit back at Angelo after he threw him to the ground, but chose not to. He is getting along with people who he hasn't in the past, Irene especially. It's subjective of course, but given the situation with Axel if something simular came up, I think he would handle it differently.

But what about what he did to Tam? Did he ever come close to apologising for that? Or was that all a direct consequence of the abuse as well. I can't remember those episodes clearly so maybe Aden did apologise but everything he did prior to the abuse revelation seems to have been forgotten by most people.

No, Aden never apologised for that, just as he has never apologised for the way he treated Geoff or any of the other things he's done.I like to think Aden was still in denial about his abuse when he assaulted Tam because otherwise we're left with a very nasty subtext.The whole thing about Aden being a "reformed character" and getting on with people I find somewhat dubious because I really don't think there's been anything to justify it.It's like someone's thrown a switch and suddenly the whole town's friends with Aden.