Belle Taylor - Jessica Tovey

Foxy

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Belle's finally died here at UK pace.Been away all week so didn't see it until yesterday.Found the funeral episode a lot move effective than the actual death episode.Haven't really liked Belle since all her friends left and she got shoehorned into Aden's storyline on the grounds he was the only character her age left.It could have worked if they'd actually put some thought into it but instead it felt like I was expected to accept she'd instantly fall in love with Aden if he staggered through her bedroom window drunk and tried to get into bed with her.Maybe some people would like Aden to do that but I couldn't see the attraction myself:It seemed contrived and out of character and didn't really show either of them in a good light.I wish they could have found something better to do with her than turning her into Aden's personal cheerleader.

So back to her departure/death story.It felt like they tried to do too much and didn't have enough time to do any of it effectively.They had three years to have Belle show a hint of curiosity about her father, having her look for him for one episode and then give up was far too little far too late.

Then we had the wedding.There were two ways this could have been done effectively.They could have made it about Belle's loved ones rallying around to show her how much they all cared about her by making her wedding day special.There were hints of the second approach, making it Belle's gift to Aden, that she couldn't be there for the rest of his life but she could show him how much she loved him then.But she seemed to think the only way to do that was to let him live in a fool's paradise.I think if, a few weeks down the track, he'd realised that when they stood up there and made their promises she'd looked him in the eye and lied to him it would have completely destroyed his memories of the day.In the end they had an honest marriage almost in spite of Belle rather than because of her.And sorry to be a cynic but Belle's wedding vows sounded like someone giving an over-rehearsed speech where they want to sound impressive rather than someone speaking from the heart.(See Aden's speech at the funeral for what that sounds like.)And given that Aden ended up burning the pile of wedding presents she rather thoughtlessly left him with, she might possibly have thought it through better.

As for them actually being married, they might as well have just thrown a big party for all the effect it had on them.Belle was only in three more episodes before she died, couldn't even be bothered to take the name of the guy she was so desperate to call her husband and, tellingly, when she wanted to die at home she went to her old room at Irene's, not her marital home.

I think as the story of a young person and her loved ones coming to terms with her impending mortality it failed on every level.We didn't even get to see the beginning of the story since they tried to turn it into a mystery, not that there was much mystery:Colleen suggests she might be pregnant, she goes to see Rachel and then tells Aden she wasn't, then about two weeks later she casually mentions she's dying.If you didn't analyse every line or pick up on the vague subtext, you probably wouldn't notice anything was wrong.She died two weeks after Aden found out, one week after the rest of the town found out and less than half an hour of screentime after her mother found out.She talked about making the most of the time she had left but aside from going for a swim she didn't do anything else! And it's rather annoying that she seemed to spend most of her last episodes with Nicole, who at the end of the day was Aden's friend not hers, rather than the people that were close to her.

Yay, Dotti, one more person who thinks Belle should have been with Geoff.(Note he and Amanda were the only people that actually stayed with Belle after finding out she was dying.)And I think Belle was buried, wasn't she?When Aden was looking for the necklace didn't he say he wanted her buried in it?

Edited by Red Ranger 1

Well, Belle's finally died here at UK pace.Been away all week so didn't see it until yesterday.Found the funeral episode a lot move effective than the actual death episode.Haven't really liked Belle since all her friends left and she got shoehorned into Aden's storyline on the grounds he was the only character her age left.It could have worked if they'd actually put some thought into it but instead it felt like I was expected to accept she'd instantly fall in love with Aden if he staggered through her bedroom window drunk and tried to get into bed with her.Maybe some people would like Aden to do that but I couldn't see the attraction myself:It seemed contrived and out of character and didn't really show either of them in a good light.I wish they could have found something better to do with her than turning her into Aden's personal cheerleader.

So back to her departure/death story.It felt like they tried to do too much and didn't have enough time to do any of it effectively.They had three years to have Belle show a hint of curiosity about her father, having her look for him for one episode and then give up was far too little far too late.

Then we had the wedding.There were two ways this could have been done effectively.They could have made it about Belle's loved ones rallying around to show her how much they all cared about her by making her wedding day special.There were hints of the second approach, making it Belle's gift to Aden, that she couldn't be there for the rest of his life but she could show him how much she loved him then.But she seemed to think the only way to do that was to let him live in a fool's paradise.I think if, a few weeks down the track, he'd realised that when they stood up there and made their promises she'd looked him in the eye and lied to him it would have completely destroyed his memories of the day.In the end they had an honest marriage almost in spite of Belle rather than because of her.And sorry to be a cynic but Belle's wedding vows sounded like someone giving an over-rehearsed speech where they want to sound impressive rather than someone speaking from the heart.(See Aden's speech at the funeral for what that sounds like.)And given that Aden ended up burning the pile of wedding presents she rather thoughtlessly left him with, she might possibly have thought it through better.

As for them actually being married, they might as well have just thrown a big party for all the effect it had on them.Belle was only in three more episodes before she died, couldn't even be bothered to take the name of the guy she was so desperate to call her husband and, tellingly, when she wanted to die at home she went to her old room at Irene's, not her marital home.

I think as the story of a young person and her loved ones coming to terms with her impending mortality it failed on every level.We didn't even get to see the beginning of the story since they tried to turn it into a mystery, not that there was much mystery:Colleen suggests she might be pregnant, she goes to see Rachel and then tells Aden she wasn't, then about two weeks later she casually mentions she's dying.If you didn't analyse every line or pick up on the vague subtext, you probably wouldn't notice anything was wrong.She died two weeks after Aden found out, one week after the rest of the town found out and less than half an hour of screentime after her mother found out.She talked about making the most of the time she had left but aside from going for a swim she didn't do anything else! And it's rather annoying that she seemed to spend most of her last episodes with Nicole, who at the end of the day was Aden's friend not hers, rather than the people that were close to her.

Yay, Dotti, one more person who thinks Belle should have been with Geoff.(Note he and Amanda were the only people that actually stayed with Belle after finding out she was dying.)And I think Belle was buried, wasn't she?When Aden was looking for the necklace didn't he say he wanted her buried in it?

well, when I am reading your posts about Aden and Belle I get the feeling that you have watched an another show. Because the Belle you have seen is very different from the Belle I have been watching. When Belle first came to the Bay she had ran away from her foster parent who se thought were too strict. She was not abused, she actually had a good home and they loved her, but they lived in a way that Belle couldn't.. Her foster father came to the Bay and they talked to each other and he respected her thoughts and actions. After that Belle always did things that the other "nicer" girls in summerbay didn't, she was more driven to things that are more forbidden... She fell in love with bad boys, she always seemed to live a little bit on the edge. She was manipulating (who hasn't forgotten what she did to Lucas? or Flynn??), and she wanted the other one to do what she wanted them to. Yes, Drew slept with her mother (what a terrible thing to do..), but she betrayed Lucas. She cheated on her exam.

By the end of Drew and Belles realtionship she got a job at the newspaper and she didn't (first) care about what was right or wrong she just wrote what she want to, she just cared about her story, and not what was the truth...And she hurt a lot of people. She painted Sally as a villain in the paper, and that actually was the first step for Sally to realise that she had to move away from the bay.

And finally she got together with Aden. At first she was ashamed of him, and he did forgive her for that. Well, he wasn't excactly kind to her when she wanted to be intimate, but he finally told her the reason. After that Belle was nice to Aden for about two weeks, then he had his breakdown. Yes, he put her through some difficult time when he took her and Rachel as hostages. I don't excuse his actions, but he didn't plan to do it, he actually had a breakdown. Belle had all right to feel unsure about Aden after this, but she should have seeked some support from her friends and from Irene. When Aden came out of the clinic she put him through a lot of tests. She gave him mixed signals. As the matter of fact, he was the one who had suffered from a breakdown not her, and in a situation like that you need stability and clear signals from others. Yes she did had the reason not to trust him anymore, but then she should have stayed away from him and not give him the mixed signals that she gave. He was still vulnerable and unstable. It felt that she wanted both Angelo and Aden, the manipulating Belle was in action again.

when she finally took him back, Aden became Belles doormat and not the other way around. He had to go through months supporting her with the consequenses of her actions towards the developement site (something that the police should have been investigating alone), after that it was months with her lying to him about the drugs. And everybody expected him to do so, because he owed her so much...well.... And finally she lied to him about her illness for weeks, and wanted to fool him into marriage. And she justified herself by saying it was because she loved him so much. What??? what about when he finally found out, what would he feel. She revealed the main reason for her lies on her wedding day when she was talking to Nicole. She said that she deserved to have a happy wedding day (she didn't mention what Aden deserved). It was like he had to justify himself all the time, everything became a test for him. She just tricked him around her finger (do you say that in English??)

For me Belle was the most bad young girl through all times on the show. Manipulating and extremely self sentered. A lot of people see aden and belle as the usual "Bad boy meets good girl" thing, but for me they were two very troubled persons who met each other, but troubled in different ways.

Edited by jodlebirger

She painted Sally as a villain in the paper, and that actually was the first step for Sally to realise that she had to move away from the bay.

No, that wasn't exactly write at all! Belle wrote a beautiful article about Sally and the school but Gavin turned the article around to make Belle look bad! so Belle didn't set out to hurt Sally at all, and not wanting to lose her first actual job as a writer, she was torn between her friends and her job!

And finally she got together with Aden. At first she was ashamed of him, and he did forgive her for that.

And second, she wasn't ashamed of Aden at all, she was ashamed of what people would think of her because she was with Aden, especially after the whole Drew thing.

For me Belle was the most bad young girl through all times on the show. Manipulating and extremely self sentered.

I can think of so many people who are manipulative and extremely self centered, Belle not being one of them. She never once thought about herself, but other people, look at the development site, she wanted to shut it down for what it was doing to other people, and had done.

Sure, when Belle was younger, she was manipulative, especially when it came to Ric and Lucas and some parts of Drew... but I really dont think she was like that with Aden, she truly loved him and she didn't tell him about her illness at first because with her conversation with Rachel "I'm scared for Aden!'

A lot of people see aden and belle as the usual "Bad boy meets good girl" thing, but for me they were two very troubled persons who met each other, but troubled in different ways.

I never saw the bad boy meets good girl, Belle was never a good girl, ever, she had her moments but as she grew up, she became more mature, Belle was carefree and a free spirit who wanted to sore. Sure when all her original friends left, she didn't know who she was or what she wanted anymore but she fell in love with Aden, and they made each other complete.

and RR1 everyone knows that you never saw the connection between Aden and Belle, which is understandable but I seriouly think if they had lasted and Belle didn't get cancer, I think they would have worked... no... I know they would have worked

Yay, Dotti, one more person who thinks Belle should have been with Geoff.

I love Aden and Belle together, they are perfect for each other, but that doesn't mean they have the ulimate perfect relationship. (Because obviously every relationship has arugments, disagreements etc)

But it would have been great to watch Geoff and Belle hook up for a while that would surely make Aden jealous ^_^ I do think that Geoff and Belle have something that could be explored, but it wouldn't have been a long term relationship. Just a fling would suit me fine.

Edited by Dotti

well, when I am reading your posts about Aden and Belle I get the feeling that you have watched an another show. Because the Belle you have seen is very different from the Belle I have been watching. When Belle first came to the Bay she had ran away from her foster parent who se thought were too strict. She was not abused, she actually had a good home and they loved her, but they lived in a way that Belle couldn't.. Her foster father came to the Bay and they talked to each other and he respected her thoughts and actions.

I think I must have been watching another show as well.Belle's home life might not have been anywhere near as bad as Aden's but suggesting it was idyllic is just ridiculous.She was brought up by parents who didn't care about her and only took her in because they were paid to.When she ran away, they went through the motions of reporting her missing but didn't actually want her back once they were told she was safe.Her father only came to town to squeeze more money out of Kitty and, I may be wrong here and I'm open to correction, I seem to remember he actually tried to pay Irene to keep her out of their hair.Then he tried to leave town without seeing Belle and accidentally bumped into her. She actually seemed pleased to see him, thinking he was finally showing an interest in her, only to find herself disappointed again.

well, when I am reading your posts about Aden and Belle I get the feeling that you have watched an another show. Because the Belle you have seen is very different from the Belle I have been watching. When Belle first came to the Bay she had ran away from her foster parent who se thought were too strict. She was not abused, she actually had a good home and they loved her, but they lived in a way that Belle couldn't.. Her foster father came to the Bay and they talked to each other and he respected her thoughts and actions.

I think I must have been watching another show as well.Belle's home life might not have been anywhere near as bad as Aden's but suggesting it was idyllic is just ridiculous.She was brought up by parents who didn't care about her and only took her in because they were paid to.When she ran away, they went through the motions of reporting her missing but didn't actually want her back once they were told she was safe.Her father only came to town to squeeze more money out of Kitty and, I may be wrong here and I'm open to correction, I seem to remember he actually tried to pay Irene to keep her out of their hair.Then he tried to leave town without seeing Belle and accidentally bumped into her. She actually seemed pleased to see him, thinking he was finally showing an interest in her, only to find herself disappointed again.

I saw this last year because we are to years behind up here in North, but I just remember that they said goodbye to each other as friends, he respected her choices and said that he cared about her. And I can't remember that they paid Irene... They just had very strict views on how a child was supposed to be raised, theres no wrong in that. But of course it is awful to feel that your parents don't understand you, and they want you to be something that you can't be.

Following on from what was mentioned previously re Belle’s death airing last week in the UK. I really liked her character for about two years (even when she was plotting and scheming). I’ve said it so many times people will probably get sick of it but I absolutely loved the relationship with Amanda. In fact they were one of the reasons I decided to watch Home and Away again after an absence of over a year. She didn’t really interest me as much after Drew, Cassie Ric/Matilda left and I just thought she was ok. I then started to go off her after she got together with Aden. I never really liked that relationship and TBH felt like fast forwarding through most of their scenes. At times I didn’t particularly like the way she acted (whether that was a by-product of her and Aden’s love for each other or not). One of things that bothered me over the last year or so was that she didn’t really have any female friends. I really didn’t buy into the stuff with Nicole at the end and for me it just didn’t ring true. As much as I wanted her and Aden to split up I was extremely displeased that they killed her off. I would have preferred it if she’d gotten a job as a photographer/journalist in the City and went back to live with Amanda, Peter and Ryan. Seems like a shame the whole reason why she came to Summer Bay in the first place was to find her mother so I would have preferred a reunion between them TBH. Contrary to what some people have said I don’t believe Belle was selfish not telling about Aden about her illness before marrying him. Don’t think I will watch the funeral episode again as it was just too sad. Irrespective of my personal feelings towards her I thought she was one of the best female actors in the show. Farewell Belle… (Oh and well done Jess).