Morag Bellingham - Cornelia Frances

emmasi

While it's never been explicitly stated by Morag, I've always sensed that she has underlying regret about the way she treated Bobby and she was never able to forge a proper relationship with her daughter due to her life being taken away too soon.

For example she was concerned about Nicole's decision to give baby George away to Sid and Marilyn for example and maybe it brought back memories for her with the way she gave Bobby away with Martha's (Alf's first wife) assistance. There have been other occasions as well where I've sensed this especially when she was dating Ross after they met for the first time in a long time and who can forget that serve that Morag received from Martha in early 2007 about the way she was constantly interfering in her and Ash's relationship as well.

I also think her reaction to Leah's concern for VJ's hearing back in 2002 might have drawn on her regret: her initial opposition to Leah putting VJ above everything else (including the Diner) and then her eventual concession that she did admire Leah. There was also a scene during Alf's brain tumor story when Morag was babysitting VJ and she broke down. Of course she then said she was thinking about when Duncan was that age and how she was going to tell him about Alf's condition - but surely her lingering regret for her treatment of Bobby and what she missed out on must have been playing on her mind too.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Would I be right in thinking we have seen the last of Morag on Home and Away and the last of the brilliant Cornelia Frances? It has been January 2013 since she last appeared and unless anyone has heard of recent filing it will be a full two years without an appearance by the time 2015 arrives.

• Like 1

You may well be right!

Cornelian has made no secret of the fact that she was disappointed with her last few stints. Although, she is a true class act and didn't actually criticise the writers that much. She just expressed that she would've liked more to say and do. I think she has long since realised that current TPTB do not understand Morag as a character and therefore it's pointless that she return.

It's a shame as Cornelia is one of the best female actresses to have appeared on the show and I'd love to see her again if the writers got their act together and put effort into the writing for characters.

• Like 1

Would I be right in thinking we have seen the last of Morag on Home and Away and the last of the brilliant Cornelia Frances? It has been January 2013 since she last appeared and unless anyone has heard of recent filing it will be a full two years without an appearance by the time 2015 arrives.

I think you are right. I've been thinking the same myself.

I do agree that in her last stints she wasn't used to her potential. We should have seen more of her when Charlie died, during the Hugo business and more. I think that Morag hasn't been used fully to her potential since 2008 season.

And ------ Cornelia Frances is 73 years old... she has probably retired, or only doing small jobs.

I do agree that in her last stints she wasn't used to her potential. We should have seen more of her when Charlie died, during the Hugo business and more. I think that Morag hasn't been used fully to her potential since 2008 season.

And ------ Cornelia Frances is 73 years old... she has probably retired, or only doing small jobs.

i really hope that's not the case and that she doesn't return simply because she isn't asked to. Lyn Collingwood did stay in the show until she was 76 after all. And I noticed that Morag stopped making appearances since Lucy took over. The first few months of 2012 were still under Cameron Welsh and Morag would appear from time to time but since Lucy took over, she's only been back for a special occasion.

i really hope that's not the case and that she doesn't return simply because she isn't asked to. Lyn Collingwood did stay in the show until she was 76 after all. And I noticed that Morag stopped making appearances since Lucy took over. The first few months of 2012 were still under Cameron Welsh and Morag would appear from time to time but since Lucy took over, she's only been back for a special occasion.

Yes.. You are right about that. And that is probably the reason.

But I also think the possibility about retirement or "slowing down" and focusing on other aspects of life, is still there.

I have always wondered about something; when do people retire down under??? It seems to me that people are expecting these actors to work until the end of their days.

In Norway the age of retirement is 67. But you have the possibility of retiring at 62 or 65 in with certain agreements between profession organizations and the welfare system. And in some professions as police and defense department the age of retirement is lower.

But you do have the possibility to work longer in some professions. And especially in acting and art business it is very usual to work much longer. In our soap (we have only one long time running Norwegian produced soap on tv), an actress worked until she was about 85... So Cornelia Frances is still young when you compare her to this Norwegian actress. It is probably a matter of what you want to focus on, and how your health is.

Edited by jodlebirger

I would love for Morag to come back, or for writers to introduce someone similar to her... H&A needs strong female characters. At the moment beside Irene and Marilyn I can't say that I like any other female character, IMO there is no one with strong personality. With Morag, you could love her or hate her, but she is tough as nails and hasn't changed a lot in last 25 years or so. That's what I like. Nowadays they change characters' behaviours to fit the storyline they are in.

• Like 2

I'd like a return for her and Celia I think they both work well together and with Alf in the Bay the 3 of them would be great, I've always loved Morag and always been guttered when she departs. I think there are a lot of storylines that could be developed for her to return. I'd like something along the lines of her wanting to set up some kind of company that causes the bay to hate her. I liked the idea I think it was in 1989 when she set up her law advice clinic, maybe she could return to do something similar and maybe try and attempt to buy the diner to have her office there, that would cause a lot of controversy among the bay. A return could even of been made for Marilyn's wedding as the 2 of them were quite close in the early years. I also think a storyline with her opening up about how she really feels about Bobby as I think deep down she loved her and was proud of the way she turned out.