Martha MacKenzie - Jodi Gordon

emmasi

I found Martha quite overrated too. There were patches from 2007-onwards when I really warmed to her and enjoyed her screen time, but I disliked her relationship with Jack and her storylines were usually about romance so I found most of them pretty boring. The older she got, the more I liked her though (same thing happened with Kirsty too).

Edited by alexx
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really had no time for Martha from 2005-2007. A shallow character with little to no development. I know a lot of people liked her and Jack's relationship and I don't want to disrespect that but I found it very hollow and unlikeable. It was like they hero-worshipped each other just for the sake of it, and we were supposed to think they were amazing as a result, without actually seeing any reason for why they were great or why they were so in love, other than the fact they kept saying it and the writers kept telling us.

However, from 2008 (thanks in no small part to Bevan Lee), the writers finally got it right and as time went on Martha transformed into a subtle but strong, likeable and increasingly layered character. Towards the end, I really liked Martha.

She's one of the few H&A characters that happened with, for me.

• Like 1

Did Bevan Lee also introduce Jazz Curtis? She was the last truly well-written and layered character IMO.

Yes and No.

Jazz was introduced in 2007 as the bitchy mother of Drew Curtis but was little more than a 2 dimensional plot device who wasn't especially memorable. Bevan Lee brought her back early in 2008 and virtually re-wrote her into a much more well rounded character who could be bitchy but was also very funny and likeable - ultimately a loveable loser who made bad choices. Actually, she was very similar to Naomi Canning in Neighbours.

Bevan clearly "created" this excellent character with hopes that future writers would bring her back - her exit was very open ended. Unfortunately as we know, the writers that followed did not share the same vision with this and most other aspects. A great character with so much potential - down the drain.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really had no time for Martha from 2005-2007. A shallow character with little to no development. I know a lot of people liked her and Jack's relationship and I don't want to disrespect that but I found it very hollow and unlikeable. It was like they hero-worshipped each other just for the sake of it, and we were supposed to think they were amazing as a result, without actually seeing any reason for why they were great or why they were so in love, other than the fact they kept saying it and the writers kept telling us.

However, from 2008 (thanks in no small part to Bevan Lee), the writers finally got it right and as time went on Martha transformed into a subtle but strong, likeable and increasingly layered character. Towards the end, I really liked Martha.

She's one of the few H&A characters that happened with, for me.

I agree. I thought Jack/Martha was one of the most overrated couples in H&A. They were vaguely amusing when they originally hated each other, but after that I found them quite bla, and didn't like how their on-off relationship panned out especially all the stuff in relationship to Sam.

I thought killing off Jack was the best thing in terms of Martha's characterisation - she maintained her feistiness, but lost some of the brattiness/selfishness.

Controversially, I really like Martha/Hugo in the early days (before the people smuggling storyline). I think by that point, Martha had mellowed a little.

• 1 year later...