Martha MacKenzie - Jodi Gordon

emmasi

3 hours ago, Wanderer101 said:

If you're implying I said this because I decided I didn't like Roo and she must secretly be a villian, absolutely not. I genuinely remember that that happened, I didn't say it because it was a 'theory' of mine, I had no idea there was a theory going on, I wasn't on any forum at the time. I simply thought that was the case. I can be wrong of course, but I'm not lumped in with those people or that theory I didn't know even existed, nor are they my motives. I simply said it because my memory told me that.

Sorry if I offended you.

I don't remember that stuff with Roo either. But I always found Martha a very annoying character. She was quite sexy though but even that didn't save her for me. Shame she wasn't taken out by the Summer Bay Stalker. I quite liked Sam with Jack with people were hoping that Martha and Jack would get back together :lol:

Edited by pembie

I liked Martha and Jack a bit in the second time around, they were more relaxed and their relation seemed more matured and solid. And they had storylines that formed and developed their relationship, like Martha's cancer. In the first time around I didn't understand why hey were in love. Because they had no storyline that developed their relationship and the characters. I find romance in shows must more believable when they have another when they develop the characters  and the romance through the love story and parallel other storylines. 

And I am probably the only one, but I liked Liam and Martha a lot. I think that what she was with him was like she should have been all the time. A bit "alternative" and less "princess". A bit wild, but not totally crazy. 

If they hadn't done the thing with the people smuggling storyline and Hugo, I would have preferred Martha and Hugo too. I think that Hugo should have been a wild one with a criminal record with smaller offences which could have created some drama. People smuggling was far too serious and over the top. 

I have never liked the way the writed Martha out. She was Alf's granddaughter and shouldn't have run away with a people smuggler. It's too serious, and destroyed the Stewarts a bit. I know that the actress behaviour was a concern for the producers but that shouldn't affect the character. It seem to me that every time an actor or actress do something less acceptable or if they think the actors is less popular then the writers punish the character so we won't miss them. We have seen this with several others too. And that is wrong, don't mix the actors personal life with the show and storylines. Martha should have been written out in a good way, no matter what the actress did or didn't do in her private life. 

And I think it is a shame that Roo and Martha weren't on screen together, I have always thought it was a bit unnecessary to bring Roo back after Martha left. But I am not so sure that it would have worked with a recast. Jodi Gordon and her Martha was too popular to make it work, I think. 

Edited by jodlebirger

I hated the Hugo smuggling story. I actually enjoyed Hugo/Martha a lot more than Jack/Martha - Martha came across less like a spoilt princess, and more  fun and spirited. Hugo seemed like the calm contrast to her spirit. However, they massively ruined that with the people smuggling storyline - and it seemed ridiculous that Martha would run off with Hugo after knowing what he did. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Edward Skylover said:

How would people feel if Martha was re-cast? It would be an excellent storyline for Roo.

I think Jodi Gordon was too popular, to make it work... She wasn't meant to be a teenager either when she met. It's successful only with characters that are absent for many years, and are young when they leave (teenagers or kids) and then are full grown ups when they return - just like Roo in my opinion. 

But then Jodi Gordon's popularity went down after some very public incidents, so maybe it would have worked for some people. But it would have been great in this case, I have never liked her departure storyline. Alf's granddaughter running away with a people smuggler. I thought that storyline was a disgrace! And to bring her back even with a recast could have been used to repair that damage. 

But I have always thought that Roo was brought back to the show some years to late, because it would have been great to see her with Martha. A lot of potential storylines there. But then, I think she was only brought back just to give Alf some much needed family in the show. She is okay, but not used to her potential at all. She should have had other kids too. I have never understood why, she was too young when she gave birth to Martha and gave her away for adoption... but it doesn't mean that she had to choose not having more babies later on when she was older. But now - she is too old. 

12 minutes ago, jodlebirger said:

She should have had other kids too. I have never understood why, she was too young when she gave birth to Martha and gave her away for adoption... but it doesn't mean that she had to choose not having more babies later on when she was older. But now - she is too old.

I would be happy for Roo to have had another child she gave away while she was living in New York.

1 minute ago, Edward Skylover said:

I would be happy for Roo to have had another child she gave away while she was living in New York.

I would have been too. Or a child who has been living with their father all the time, could be a secret that Roo is keeping for herself, and then suddenly something happens and the secret is revealed. Could have been great for both Roo and Alf. 

• Like 1