Rachel/Tony

Cal

Tonight Rachel was more in the picture than Tony but I loved how Rach was there for Leah and Nic and how Tony firstly was so gentle in breaking the news to Nicole, getting coffees for everyone and how he looked after VJ...he is so caring :wub:

And you wonder why I want to swap places with Rachel :P

Edited by sportzgal82

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rachel handled Belle so well. I agree with what was said about her having a naturally patronising tone but I think it suits her and works well especially because she's a doctor. I think that confidence bordering on arrogance is typical of the high achieving type that gets through medical school.

Seeing her handle situations like Belle's addiction so well reminds me that what could be seen as inconsistencies in Rachel's character aren't at all - it's the difference between her intellectual and emotional sides. Her intellectual side is very developed and she responds perfectly to medical situations but her emotional side is neglected, which is why she's sometimes insecure in her personal relationships and acts badly.

I really like the age difference between Rachel & Tony because it suits them much better than Rachel & Kim. And I think it's significant that Rachel hasn't had a relationship with someone her own age especially when Hugh told her he loved her. Although I still think the writers didn't do enough to explore how Rachel & Tony were initially attracted to each other.

I hope they stay in the Bay and we see more scenes with their baby. The writers have been braver this year with their storylines so I hope they have the courage to actually film a baby/toddler/child rather than have them being babysat all the time or simply have the characters leave. Please don't let them leave. And I'd like to see Rachel have a quick labour and an unexpected homebirth!

I hate watching Rachel in relationships I don't know why! I can't wait for this wedding to be over!! I am dreading watching it. I also can't wait until the bloody baby is born so I don't have to keep watching Rachel touching her belly.

Hahahaha same we have been waiting for bloody ages now 2 years maybe? icr

Seeing her handle situations like Belle's addiction so well reminds me that what could be seen as inconsistencies in Rachel's character aren't at all - it's the difference between her intellectual and emotional sides. Her intellectual side is very developed and she responds perfectly to medical situations but her emotional side is neglected, which is why she's sometimes insecure in her personal relationships and acts badly.

This is the best analysis of rachel ive ever read it is so true - her intellectual side is so well developed and she handles the professional side perfectly well- but emotionally she does seem to mess up more - and being in home and away she has to cross the personal/professional line all the time!

i enjoy watching rachel trying to get it right - she is often put in situations where she has to choose between her professional or her personal opinion - we usually end up seeing the professional side coming out, i think when the baby is born things may change slightly

I'm looking forward to them handling being parents together. I think we'll see a whole other side to Tony. Having already raised two sons i'm sure he's going to be the one to keep things calm and stop Rachel stressing and worrying - as is common with first time mums. I also hope they have stories with them involving their baby - far too often soap babies disappear. Hopefully this time they'll try something different.

As i've said before, i don't think the age difference is that big a deal when the man is the older one. Tony and Rachel seem to be on the same page on things, and have similar ideas about what they want. They bring out the best in each other and seem genuinly happy together. Rachel seems a lot calmer now than she was, and Tony is like a whole new man. They've supported each other through so much and i think what they have together is really special and real.

Rachel is not perfect and it frustrates me people expect her to always say/do the right thing just because she's a doctor and is supposed to be professional. She always tries her best to help people, maybe not necessairly always doing the right thing but her heart is in the right place. I think it's very telling that Rachel is one of the few characters in the bay to have very close female friendships (Leah and Martha.) Everyone always goes to her first with their problems and dramas and, keeping with reality, of course you're not always going to do the right thing. She has good heart and is just trying to do the best she can.

This actually makes a lot of sense now you put it like that. She seems to always have a pretty accurate intuition when it comes to making professional judgements and is probably why more times than not, she's the character who always uncovers others secrets (ie Belle's drug addiction, Bridget's money scam) yet when her emotional side conflicts with this, she tends to make bad jugements. An example of this is when she told the other doctors that Aden didn't suffer a mental breakdown and knew exactly what he was doing. Whilst she eventually came to her senses and helped Aden out, she made a bad judgement when she let her emotional side conflict with her professional judgement (which is why she should never have been asked for it in the first place.)

A lot of people mentioned how she was inconsistent with her reaction due the instant forgiveness she gave to her other kidnappers like Rev Hall and Charlie, but I think the only reason she reacted badly here is because this time, Aden's actions didn't just affect her but the man she loves as well. Because of Aden's actions, Tony left the Bay thinking she had left him for Hugh and she had no way of telling him otherwise and I think it was the fact that Aden had inadvertantly hurt Tony that was the reason she reacted badly, letting her emotional side win.

I think there's still so much more they can explore with Rachel and Tony as a couple, a new family and new parents which hasn't necessarily been done with past couples who either leave the Bay instantly when the baby's born or hire a permanent babysitter. Having Tony being the half of the couple who has had children before will be interesting to see as it's stereotypically usually the mother who 'teaches' the father how to handle the baby.

It's interesting what you said Kirsty about how Rachel is pretty much the only charactr with really close consistent friendships and how everyone always comes to her for help because that's in a way how Tony is as well, with the younger characters. The way he took it upon himself to help out Geoff and Annie and become a father figure to them is something that Rachel has done in the past to.