Irene Roberts - Lynne McGranger

Cerise

This new Storyline is really giving Lynne something to act about, It is showing that Irene is as vulnerable as the children in which she cares for and isn't this godly figure who can deal with all her families problems and have none of her own.

This almost sounds mean but I am enjoying watching Irene fall to pieces, yes - it breaks our illusion of her but allows us to see her in a whole new light - I also believe that it is mainly Lynne's portrayal of the whole ordeal that is keeping everyone hooked, you can feed anybody lines of dialouge but it is what they do with those lines and how they use their skill to enhance the power of the words that makes it real.

I would take my hat of to Lynne if I ever wore one... ever and I second the Idea that she must be rewarded or recognized for her work on this storyline - maybe if there is no sign of any official recognition then we could think of something here - like a Fan's Choice award or something...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry to say that I've not really been enjoying Irene's storyline.I'm glad that she's actually got one and that Lynne's finally being given a chance to act but it's hard to reconcile it with the Irene we know. It's annoying that her last storyline also involved her being locked up and someone trying to drive her mad and resurrecting her alcoholism after seventeen years feels as though it was the only characteristic anyone could think of.It's hard to accept her cracking up over the death of someone she'd dated a few weeks:Being stuck alone on the boat would have explained it but that was mostly off screen.And it's hard to accept her being reduced to a gibbering wreck by a few spiteful comments.

I think the main problem is the storyline has left her divorced from the rest of the cast and most of the time she's interacting with glorified regulars.Having her out of prison and seeing the other characters cope with her alcoholism might be better but it'll probably be resolved quickly.I remember someone saying they should have given Irene the cancer storyline last year and that would have been more interesting, seeing her vulnerable but fighting against it, rather than having her jerked around like a puppet again.Although it sounds like

she is actually going to be involved with confronting and unmasking the culprit this time round

which should be interesting to watch.

• 1 month later...

^I doubt it and actually I hope not.I think she'll take it very badly but I don't think it'd be enough to make her hit the bottle, I think she's pretty much over that.Although I'm not sure whether she'll be the strong one, I think she might end up being a bit withdrawn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I think Irene's last storyline was very good in the way of seeing how good an actress Lynne is. Her getting together with Lou was rushed but however it had to be cut short because Lynne didn't have eough time to finish her scenes as she was due in Uk before she had wrapped all her scenes and so she went on her holiday earlier than planned.

So they just left her not so important scenes cut and then they brought back Pippa to do her important scenes like helping Belle through rehab.

That was the problem with Pippa's return. They brought her back to replace Irene. Pippa wasn't there of her own accord and wasn't doing her own thing. She was simply doing everything Irene would have done if she was there. That shows how much Irene doesn't get her own storylines and normally involves herself in other people storylines with kids she has under her wing or giving advice to people in Dinner. I think I prefer Irene in that way just taking kids under her wing and running the Diner. Being there when other characters need advice .

Edited by john003au