Irene Roberts - Lynne McGranger

Cerise

Irene looked fantastic in Friday’s episode, all dressed up for a night at the opera. I wish I had legs as good as hers. I really hope this is the beginning of a long story arc for Irene, as Lynne truly is one of the unsung stars of the show.

Irene looked really hot to trot last week, she looked FAB U LOUS,.

Irene and Lou were lovely but I have a feeling it won't last. Lynne McGranger was awesome tonight.

Lynne was excellent as usual. I was smitten, and so was Lou. I don't trust him, villains come in all shapes and sizes. This one is Lou shaped. Lynne /Irene however remains a bright shining star.

A few years ago, I fell out of love with Irene - I just didn't really see where her place in the show was, there was a time when it just felt she was the owner of a house to put teenagers in which, let's face it, any adult character could do. However, over the past couple of years I've grown to like her again, and this storyline with Lou has got me very interested in the character once again, something which I'm very glad about.

The scene in which she told Lou about her alcoholism was brilliantly played by Lynne, and her portrayal of Irene during their courtship has been excellent. I really hope this is the start of a long and interesting story arc because Lynne certain deserves it after years of handing out coffees and beds as needed, with little else going on for Irene.

It is no secret that I admire Lynne enormously, having been privileged to see her work on the stage in Melbourne before she got into TV work, I have been frustrated by the way in which her talents have been ignored. Daniel Bennett clearly had no idea how to write for the older characters in the show, and although the poisoning story was excellent in many respects, not least in Lynne’s brilliant performance, it was marred by the lack of proper follow through and Daniel Bennett’s incomprehensible decision to give the climax of this story to someone else, that is to one of his obviously favourite characters, Martha. Irene was brilliant for the few short weeks that this story ran and then suddenly it was if he was bored with her and returned to the younger cast and she was forgotten. Thankfully the current writers are not so shallow and are writing for the entire cast with much greater depth. My wife was, and is, a huge Irene and Barry fan, and is both intrigued and irked by Lou's appearance on the scene. I am absolutely delighted that the fabulous Lynne gets to do her stuff. She has been amazing. Friday’s scene in the diner was excellent purely for its simplicity and understated acting, a master class in how it should be done. I hope the younger cast were taking notes. And I very much agree with Jimbo that Irene looked fantastic when she was dressed up for the opera, but then she is a truly lovely woman.

Thank you writers, for giving Irene a long over due story line, may it be a long and and in depth story and the first of many to come.

Irene is my all time favourite character and Lynne McGranger is a wonderful actress.

I used to fear the day Alf would no longer be in the bay to save it from someone who is trying to turn it into a dump.

But I know now Irene would be there to protect it .

Because Irene hasn't only become the next Ailsa and Pippa but she's also the female version of Alf Stewart.

I am absolutely delighted that the fabulous Lynne gets to do her stuff. She has been amazing. Friday’s scene in the diner was excellent purely for its simplicity and understated acting, a master class in how it should be done. I hope the younger cast were taking notes. And I very much agree with Jimbo that Irene looked fantastic when she was dressed up for the opera, but then she is a truly lovely woman.

Thank you writers, for giving Irene a long over due story line, may it be a long and and in depth story and the first of many to come.

I completely agree with you, that was some of the best acting I have seen on the show for a long time, precisely because it was so simple. Any one who has been to acting classes will tell you it is actually easier to do the loud and in your face stuff, but the simple and subtle is much more difficult. That was excellent. All of the nuances of the confusion and the contradictory emotions Irene was feeling were captured and portrayed simply and effectively. No big histrionics, just raw honest emotion.

I am really looking forward to this story and I do hope it isnt one of those which is over and done with in five minutes like so many have been. That would be a criminal waste.

Loved Irene in Monday's Australian episode!

It was great to see that the characters integrity has endured throughout all her years on the show - even at her most nervous and uncomfortable, she still stuck up for all the hard working, honest citizens who worked their backsides off to pay their way - namely through not letting those yacht club bints turn their noses up at waitresses.