Ruby Buckton - Rebecca Breeds

Eli

• 1 month later...

I hope Ruby gets a big storyline this year. So far she's, mostly, been a supporting character in others storylines. I think she deserves one of her own. And not one centering around her and Xavier, just her. I also don't want to see her fade into the background. Because she has alot of potential. She needs to be given more to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked Ruby when she first turned up and I still do.She was like a breath of fresh air, a fun and lively character who managed to shake up the otherwise staid Buckton family a bit.(The bit where she met Morag for the first time and hugged her enthusiastically was great.)And I liked the way she just slotted into the Bay as though she'd been there all the time, instantly becoming friends with Annie, Jai, Geoff and later Melody.And I like how she somehow seems more experienced and mature than Charlie and seems to take the lead a lot of the time.

It's a shame she's been badly underused, often coming across as little more than a background character.And she does have a reputation for being the relationship guru who doesn't actually have a relationship.Maybe the current male/female ratio, especially among the younger crowd, is to blame with Geoff and Jai up against Nicole, Annie, Melody and Ruby.(

Maybe the arrival of the Austins will even things up a bit.

)And her own taste in men can be less than stellar at times.

The only slight concern is that she does remind me a lot of Cassie at times, someone else who started off lively and was instantly friends with everyone, who gave good advice but couldn't take any herself and who had frankly appalling taste in men, so I'm hoping she doesn't go the same way.

^Same about the Cassie stuff. I've always been reminded of Cassie when watching Ruby.

I really do love Ruby though. I saw her as a bit of a breath of fresh air. Not so much with her storylines but her personality and they was she was with people. I love her friendship with Geoff, especially back when Nic was with Elliot and Geoff had told her he liked her. Seeing Ruby giving him love advice was great.

I am so sure that I saw her on a tv commercial for a breakfast cereal. Can't remember if it was Weet Bix or Vita Brits or something like that. But it goes something like that. (her dad is at the table eating cereal) She walks in with a few packets of oats and stuff, and her dad says; "what are you doing?" She says "making breakfast -a healthy breakfast. But you wouldn't know about healthy, would you?" He gets up from the table and says "No, I guess I'm not just young enough to know it all". And she sees the cereal packet, and reads the ingredients.

Does anyone know the ad I'm talking about? I'm sure its her!

Rebecca was in a Vita Brits ad. When I first saw the ad, I didn't pay particular attention to it but I did recognise that the actress was familiar. Rebecca looked so mature in that advertisement, much different to the two roles on Blue Water High and also on Home & Away as Ruby Buckton where both of her roles have focused on being a school girl rather than an adult role.

• 2 weeks later...

The similarities with Ruby and Cassie are striking, even in looks. Her friendship with Annie is quite similar to Cassie and Mattie's as well. I'm quite happy about that though, because Cassie was a very interesting character, and it was a shame she left. Ruby doesn't feel like a rip-off or second rate Cassie, more like a continuation of that character type.

What I can't understand about Ruby is the way she has behaved since Xavier arrived. Why is she acting so desperate around him? It goes against everything we've learned about her as a character since she arrived. I know she hasn't been in the show that long, but she has been there long enough for us to know a few things about her:

1) She likes OLDER men.

2) She's very mature for her age and knows how to behave appropriately around guys.

3) She's usually the one dishing out advice on love to her friends, not in need of advice from someone like Annie.

4) She has quite strong morals, as shown by her dislike of Matthew and Elliot.

So, why on earth would she pathetically throw herself at a 15 year-old drug dealer like Xavier??? :blink:

The mind boggles. I think the writers have made a huge mistake with this pairing, or at least how the beginning of their romance was written. Realistically, Xavier would have been the one doing all the chasing, and Ruby would have been more interested in one of his older mates. Throwing herself at him, or needing advice on how to make him like her would have more like Melody or Annie's style. Ruby and Xavier getting together screams of a case of convenience. They just both happened to be single so the writers paired them up without even thinking about it. Truly idiotic.

Edited by DinerLandlord

I'm in two minds about the whole Ruby/Xavier thing.I'm not too keen on the pairing but that's because I don't like Xavier.Ruby has always had a bit of a get-up-and-go attitude about her.This is after all the girl who turned up in town and enrolled herself at the local school without telling her family.So I think if she saw a boy she liked, especially one who might only have been in town for a little while, she would definitely go straight over and make it clear she was interested.

Is Xavier her type?Well, aside from Pat, we don't really have any idea what her type is.(Okay, there was the crush on Miles...let's assume that was a personality thing and gloss over it.)He might be younger but physically speaking, which is all Ruby was going on to start with, he is a lot like Pat.As for Matthew, she did actually seem to be developing romantic feelings for him before she found out he was Sky and even after that she was ready to be friends with him until he posted her diary everywhere.If we stretch the Cassie analogy to breaking point, she was someone who could do a good job of sorting everyone else's life out but would then hook up with someone like Jules(or Macca or Henk...).So I think it's believable that Ruby would pick a guy who's not necessarily the best choice she could have made.