Forseen (Chp. 3/?)

Guest Cerise

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'tis a bit late, and I apologise. So much. I'm so sorry. Anyway, this chapter explains a bit of the background because the fic is very AU. oh yeah, and Nicole and Aden are adoptive brother and sister in this :)

Chapter 2

Forty-six and a half days is a long period of time, if you think about it. In forty six days you can do an ungodly amount of things. It might not be long enough to forget about your friends death, but it should be long enough to get over it - get used to the fact that she's not there anymore. It wasn't long enough for Nicole Franklin.

This was because Nicole Franklin was invisible. Nobody had anything against her at all, she just didn't stand out of the crowd, and on the outside she didn't really seem like the type of girl you'd want as your friend, though Nicole was pretty and funny, she never showed it and that didn't leave a good impression on the student of Summer Bay High. Belle Taylor had been the only one who knew her well, but Nicole and Belle had known each other practically since they were born. Belle never ditched Nicole for the popular crowd, because she was perfectly content with having one true friend, and so was Nicole.

The two girls had supported each other, through tough times - like when Nicole's puppy was killed and when Belle's parents had abandoned her and left her with Irene Roberts - and not so tough times. Nicole was the only one who understood Belle's reasons for 'sleeping around' while she was dating Aden Jefferies, and Belle was understanding about Nicole's relationship with Geoff Campbell after it had turned out that he and Belle were biological cousins. Nicole and Geoff were very different people and nobody approved of them as a couple except for Belle and because everyone liked Belle she managed to stop the remarks and the teasing and the bullying.

Now there was nobody to give Nicole that support. Nobody in school knew about Belle's death. It wasn't in the papers, although the news article probably would have saved the teachers the hardship of trying to put something nice in the back-to-school newsletter that Geoff had brought to her after Roman had brought her home - Nurse Jane had gone through the trouble of having her father collect her. That Nurse Jane was nice, Nicole had decided. Maybe she'd go back to her again sometime, just for a chat.

"I wasn't sure if you wanted this." Geoff muttered when he handed Nicole the newsletter. "I know your probably not up to hiking or anything..." Hiking was the annual school activity. "... but there's an article about Belle in there."

"It's probably sh*t." Nicole said quietly, trying to muster up some sort of humor, but failing. Geoff looked at her sadly.

Important Announcement

We, the staff here at Summer Bay High, are very sorry to be the bringers of tragic news. As a few of you may be aware, Belle Taylor was killed in an accident this Summer. While taking a taxi to the airport the vehicle collided with a tree and lightening struck. The driver, Jed Roughs, survived but Belle Taylor did not make it, and was pronounced dead at the scene. Belle Taylor had many friends at Summer Bay High and was very active in helping out with the school newsletters and organising events, and we pronounce October 13th, which was Belle's Birthday, an annual holiday where we can remember Belle's life.

The article went on to waffle about her achievements and goals that she would never fulfill, but Nicole couldn't help thinking all the time that Belle could have written that article so much better.

"Do you want me to leave?" Geoff asked.

"No... no, stay... actually... no, you'd better go. Aden will be home soon and you know what he's like."

As Geoff closed the door behind him and Nicole shrugged a blanket over her shoulders, sure enough she could hear the sound of Aden slamming the back door closed, and she was barely aware of him rushing up the stairs and into her room.

"Nic, are you okay? God, I'm so sorry I wasn't here, I didn't know that you... are you okay?"

Nicole shrugged. "Not really. I guess. I mean, I don't know. What do we really know anymore?"

Aden sighed and perched at the end of her bed. "Roman's wondering if you're hungry."

Nicole laughed slightly; she hadn't eaten in days. She guessed Roman might be worried that she was starving herself, which she wasn't, she just didn't bother eating. It was probably best she did though, so she gave Aden a nod.

"He also says if you need another week off school...?"

Nicole nodded once more, and with that, Aden left her room, leaving the door ever so slightly open, just in case.

Archived