Spambots

Guest Cal

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know how to prevent spambots from registering on forums. You have to add a validation code for them to enter and then you have to change the setting so that everyone who registers have to activate their account by e-mail.

Oh and these spambots members, don't forget to both ban their IP and remove them entirely from the board.

What board platform are you running BTTB on? If you don't want to say it here, PM me, I can help you :)

We know :P

The CAPTCHA verification codes are switched on, they always have been, and all accounts have always been verified by email. These aren't just the normal spambots :wink:

However there's another upgrade, this time a whole board upgrade, which we'll hopefully be able to install in the next couple of days - this upgrade includes a whole new CAPTCHA system

Okay, didn't know that. In that case it doesn't sound like just spambots. Spambots can't use the Captcha system, not even the old one but I have heard that there are smarter spambots out there, but they are not many. They are under development. I think this is real people who are getting payed to post spam on boards. It's true, spamming is a job.

Well anyway, the most important thing is to ban their IP and try to track down the IP's they are affiliates with. Sometimes you can track it down to a company or community which uses a group of IP's. If you manage to track that down, you can ban a lot of IP's that are known spammers.

Otherwise I have got another idea. Why don't you set up a system that the first 2 posts or something from a member has to be reviewed by a mod before it's visible on the board. In that way you can easily track them down. Well it's not fun but it's a way to prevent the ugly posts.

Oh and one more thing. There are more Spambots preventing systems that you can add to your forum too. Like one that asks a simple question that only human can answer. PhpBB has a MOD that removes fields you want in registration and profile form until users reach certain requirements. If spam bot is detected, it sends an email notification to you with username, IP address, and more. I don't know if IP.Board has got any system like that.

Well otherwise you can add some code in the main files that should prevent them. But that's only if you know what you are doing. It's pretty tricky.

Archived