Shattered

Guest Red Ranger 1

Great chapter! The dialogue was spot on! Can't wait for more, i really want Aden to talk to Melody about what happened to him! I guess i'll have to wait and see what happens!

It would be great to see some more Aden/Mel scenes! Thanks :D

I think I'm going to have to start writing bad Aden scenes, then maybe people will stop wanting more of them...Next few chapters look like they're going to be a bit Aden-lite but if you're good I might be able to squeeze another Mel/Aden scene in later on.

CHAPTER 11

As Melody approached the school, she could see Nicole at the gate, kissing a boy goodbye.To her shock, she realised it was Axel.For a moment, she froze again, then she ducked behind a bush, desperate for him not to see her.She watched for a few seconds longer until they went their separate ways, Nicole into school, Axel thankfully in the opposite direction to where Melody was hiding.She waited until he was out of sight then hurried down the school path.“Nic!Wait up!”

Nicole turned at her shout.“Oh, hi, Mel.I didn’t see you there.”

Melody tried to be as casual as possible.“Was…was that Axel Hay you were with just then?”

“Mmm.The drought’s finally come to an end.”

“How long have you been..?”

“Er, about a week now.”

“I wouldn’t have thought you’d be interested in him.”

Nicole shrugged.“He’s an older guy, cute in a lapdog sort of way, got a job so he can afford to take me places, old enough to drive which is handy since people found out I don’t have a license…and I think he’s grown up a bit since he left this place.Anyway, there’s not much else on offer seeing as how the best-looking boy in the school only has eyes for you.”She saw Melody scowl.“Okay, what have I said now?’Cos that was actually me trying to be nice.”

“It’s not that, it…never mind.”Melody wondered how she could check Nicole was all right without giving anything away.“Is…is he all right with you?”

“Perfect gentleman.”Nicole smiled mischievously.“Well, maybe not the perfect gentleman but that’s the way I like them.”

“It’s just…I think you need to be careful with him.He might make you do something that you don’t want to do.”

“Trust me, there is nothing he could think of that I wouldn’t want to do.Don’t worry, I’ve got him on a tight leash.”

Melody nodded but she wasn’t convinced.But maybe there was someone she could talk to who could convince her.

Melody knocked on the door of the office and went in.The school secretary, Kirsty Phillips, was shuffling papers at her desk.“Oh, hi, Melody.Er, Mr.Bartlett’s not in his office at the moment.Did you want to come back later?”

“No, it…it’s you I wanted to talk to.”

“Oh.Well, what can I do for you?”

“Do you mind if I ask you about something personal?”

“Well, ask and I’ll tell you whether or not I want to answer.”

“I…I heard your sister was raped.”

Melody could tell from Kirsty’s expression that she didn’t feel comfortable discussing it and had a feeling that anyone else would have been shut down straightaway.“Yes, yes, that’s right.”

“And the guy that did it…you ended up marrying him?”

“That’s right as well.”

“So, what happened?I mean, had he changed or something?”

“Yes, I think he had.He wasn’t perfect, the way things ended shows that, but he was a good husband and a good father and we were happy together.I think what happened with Dani was the wake up call he needed to take a good look at himself, to decide what sort of person he wanted to be.I don’t agree with everything he did but I know he was only trying to keep our family together.”Kirsty sighed.“Look, Melody, I don’t mean to be rude but what’s this all about?”

“The guy that raped me, the police never caught him.It’s been worrying me, I mean, he’s still out there. What if he does it again?Could that happen?”

“I don’t know.Maybe, if he was into that sort of thing.”

“But…but he could be like your husband?He could meet a girl that he really likes and who likes him and he might be all right with her?”

“He could do, yes, it might have been a one-off, it might even have horrified him as much as it did you. I’m sorry, Melody, I wish I could give you a definite answer but without knowing who this boy was we just can’t tell.”

Melody nodded.It had given her something to think about anyway.If Nicole was happy dating Axel, then maybe things would be all right between them.Something else occurred to her.“Your sister…how was she afterwards?I mean, with boys.Did she stay away from them or what?”

“Well, things were a bit uncomfortable with her boyfriend for a while but she learned to relax around him in the end.”

“And they lived happily ever after?”

“Er, well, no, actually he found out he’d got his ex-girlfriend pregnant and went back to her.”

“Oh.”

Melody spent most of the first lesson thinking about her conversations with Nicole and Kirsty.When the bell went, she followed the rest of the class out into the corridor.She noticed Geoff standing outside one of the rooms, talking to a girl.Melody recognised her as Danielle, Axel’s sister.She knew she and Geoff had classes together but didn’t realise they knew each other that well.She was surprised by how much that bothered her.

She watched as Geoff and Danielle said their farewells then Geoff noticed her and came over.“Hi, Melody, how are you doing?”

“What were you talking about?”she asked.

Geoff gave an embarrassed smile.“Well, actually she was asking me if I wanted to have lunch with her.”

Melody tried to cover her disappointment.“Oh!Well, I’m glad, I mean, she’s nice and she’s pretty…”

“Melody, I said no.”

“Why?”

“You know why.I said I’d wait for you and I will.”

“But, Geoff, I don’t know if I’m ever going to be ready for what you want and meanwhile you’re wasting what could be a good relationship.”

“It’s not a waste, Mel.Why would I want second best?”

There were so many thoughts and feelings rushing through Melody.Fear of another experience like the one with Axel, traces of resentments towards Geoff for abandoning her at the party, the way she still felt butterflies in her stomach whenever he spoke to her like that, even that twinge of jealousy she’d felt when she saw him with Danielle.She looked into his earnest face and made a decision.“Geoff?”

“Yes, Melody?”

“You can hold my hand if you like.”

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHAPTER 12

Melody kept glancing at the door.It was almost like a ritual.Ever since she’d first found out that Axel was working at the Diner, she’d made a point of checking Irene’s roster to find out when his shifts were and avoiding the place during those times.He wasn’t supposed to be on shift at the moment but she was always afraid that he would come in early or swap shifts without her knowing and then she would see him.She didn’t want to see him.

Her lunch companions, Annie and Nicole, had probably noticed her behaviour but they were both too polite to say anything.“So,”Nicole remarked, attracting her attention back to them,“You and Geoff finally got back together then.”

Melody nodded.“We’re taking it slowly.One step at a time.You know, as if we were first going out.I…I’m still not really sure what I can handle.”

“You’ll be okay,”Annie reassured her,“Geoff wouldn’t hurt you.”

“Hey!”Nicole had an excited look on her face.“What if we all go on a triple date?”

Melody felt a sinking feeling in her stomach.“What…what do you mean?”

“The three of us, Geoff, Jai and Axel.Come on, it’d be great!”

“Go on, Mel,”Annie encouraged her,“It would be fun.”

The idea filled Melody with horror.She couldn’t think of anything more dreadful than spending time with Axel, trying to make polite conversation while all the time remembering what he did to her.“I…I can’t,”she blurted out.

“Why not?”Nicole asked.

“It…it’s Geoff.”Melody was desperately thinking on her feet.“He…he doesn’t like us going out.He wants me to be safe.”

Nicole gave her a look of sympathy.“Oh, how awful.”

Melody didn’t want her thinking bad of Geoff.“No, it’s okay, I like that he looks out for me.I mean, I don’t really feel like going out either.”

Nicole seemed to accept this.She turned to Annie.“Still, we can go, can’t we?”

“Yeah, I’ll talk to Jai…”

Melody tuned out of the conversation.She’d managed to avoid the subject for now but she’d had to lie to do so and this was a lie that would be easy to check.What would Geoff say if he found out?

Geoff was studying at the living room table when he heard the knock at the door.It was Jai, wearing what looked to be his best shirt and with an odd whiff of aftershave about him.“Hi.Is Annie ready?”

Geoff looked at him confused.“Ready for what?”

Before Jai could answer, Annie came hurrying down the stairs.Geoff’s eyes widened slightly at the sight of her-she looked as though she’d been taking fashion tips from Belle or Nicole.Or both.He resolved to have words with them later.“Hey, Jai,”she greeted her boyfriend, not even acknowledging Geoff,“Come on, let’s get going.”

“Hang on a minute,”Geoff put in,“Where are you going?”

“Pizza parlour in Yabbee Creek,”Annie explained,“We’re going with Nicky and Axel.It’s a shame you couldn’t come as well.”

Geoff was having trouble keeping up with the conversation.“What?”

“Melody said you didn’t want her going out.It’s really sweet you want to look after her but you need to let her have fun some time.”She took Jai’s hand.“You ready?”

Geoff looked at Jai, trying to get some sort of control over the situation.“Just make sure you have her back by half ten.”

Jai gave him a blank look which was almost certainly deliberate.“Why, what happens then?”

Before Geoff could form a suitable answer, Annie cut in.“Don’t worry, I’ve already cleared it with Irene. See you later.”

Geoff was left standing there alone and for the first time he had a chance to think about what he’d just heard.Why had Melody lied?

Geoff was sitting on the couch watching the television when Melody came home.“Everything go all right at the library?”he asked.

Melody nodded.“Irene just dropped me off.She said she’s going to be working late at the Diner so we should look after ourselves.”

“Annie and Jai have gone out.A double date with Nicole and Axel apparently.”

“Oh, yes.They mentioned that.”

“Why didn’t you tell me they invited us?Why did you say I didn’t want us to go out?”

Melody cursed the fact she would have to lie again but she’d avoided the truth too many times and this wasn’t the time to change.She sat down on a chair arm.“I’m sorry, Geoff.I just didn’t feel up to going out.I was too embarassed to tell Nic and Annie that so I used you as an excuse.I know I shouldn’t have lied to them.”

Geoff shook his head.“It’s okay.I’m sorry if I sounded like I was accusing you.”

“No, you didn’t.Anyway, is it so bad for us to spend time alone together?”

“No.Um, there’s a movie on in a bit.We could watch it together.”

Melody nodded.She moved to sit next to Geoff on the sofa.

Geoff pressed the channel button on the remote control then turned awkwardly to Melody.“Are…are we at the cuddling stage yet?”

Slowly, tentatively, Melody moved closer to Geoff, snuggling up to him.She felt his strong arms fold around her, hugging her, and to her surprise she realised she didn’t want to flinch away.She felt safe.

“Cuddling’s all right.”

Well, I noticed this chapter was running a bit short so I included a cameo from Aden to lengthen it. Don't say I never listen.

CHAPTER 13

Geoff saw Melody standing at the other end of the school corridor with her back to him and hurried over to her, tapping her on the shoulder.To his astonishment, she leaped forward with such force that she ended up several feet away from him.She turned and saw that it was him, the fear in her eyes being replaced with annoyance.“Geoff!What did you do that for?”

Geoff genuinely didn’t understand her reaction.They’d been taking things slowly for the past month, since they’d got back together, but in all that time he’d never seen Melody act afraid of him.“I…I thought you were all right with me touching you.”

“I am but…I didn’t know it was you.”

“Well, who else would it be?”

Melody looked at him incredulously.“Geoff, the guy that attacked me is still out there!Remember?”

“Well, yeah, but he’s hardly going to come into school and tap you on the shoulder, is he?”

“How do you know that?You don’t know who it is.”Melody gestured to a couple of the boys in the hallway, who, thankfully perhaps, didn’t seem to realise why they were suddenly the topic of conversation. “It could be him or him for all you know.”

“Melody, it’s okay.Nothing’s going to happen to you.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Things…work out for the best.”

There was an almost scornful tone to Melody’s response.“Because of God?Is that what you’re saying?God didn’t stop me being raped.I don’t think I can rely on Him to protect me.”

Geoff was shocked by her response.“Melody, you can’t lose your faith because of this.”

“I haven’t.I’m just saying that bad things happen to good people.I know because they happened to me!”

Geoff realised what was going to happen a fraction of a second before it did.He lurched forward and managed to catch Melody as she slumped towards him in a dead faint.Gently he lowered her to the ground.

A crowd of students had been attracted by their argument and were gathering around them.Geoff looked round frantically and noticed Kirsty, who had just come out of the office.Their eyes locked for a moment as she took in the situation and she gave him a reassuring look.“I’ll phone for an ambulance.”

Martin Bartlett pushed his way back into the school through the crowd of students gathered at the entrance. “All right, you can stop looking now.The ambulance has left.”

“Is Melody all right?”Annie asked.She was standing near the front of the crowd with Nicole and Jai.

“She’d recovered consciousness before the ambulance arrived but they’re taking her to hospital as a precaution.Geoff Campbell has travelled with her.”

To everyone’s surprise, it was Aden that spoke up.“Yeah but what’s wrong with her?I mean, something caused her to faint.Is it to do with what happened to her?”

“As neither you nor I is next of kin, Mr.Jefferies, that information will have to remain a mystery.”

Aden shuffled, embarassed.“I just…I just meant I hope she’s all right.”

“Yes, well, I’m sure we all wish Miss Jones a speedy recovery.Her guardian is being informed, she’s in the hands of capable medical professionals and standing around here won’t do her any good.So I suggest you all confine your worries to your next class.”

Melody was sitting up in the hospital bed, looking in reasonable health for someone who had just fainted. But that didn’t stop her anxiety from showing.Geoff held her hand, feeling helpless and wishing there was something more he could do for her.“Geoff, I’m frightened,”she told him.

“Take it easy,”he told her,“Rachel’s rushing the blood test through.Once they get that, they’ll know what’s wrong and what to do about it.”

“But…but what if he gave me something?I mean, I had blood tests right afterwards but they said it could be three months before anything showed up.I meant to make an appointment for next week but what if it’s too late?”

“Don’t worry, Mel.Nothing’s going to happen to you.”He winced, realising that was what had started their argument in the first place.“I’m sorry, I just meant…”

Melody shook her head.“No, it’s all right.It’s what I need to hear right now.”

Rachel came back in holding an envelope.“I’ve just picked up your results from the lab.This should give us some answers.”She tore open the envelope and scanned the contents of the page.Geoff saw a look of concern cross her face.

“What is it?”he asked,“Is it something serious?”

“Well, yes, in a way.”Rachel turned to Melody.“You’re pregnant.”

Oh boy.I said I wasn't going to say up late tonight but I just had to get the next chapter posted.

CHAPTER 14

Melody had been in tears since before Irene arrived.Irene sat on the bed with an arm around the girl, doing her best to comfort her.“Melody love, it’s gonna be okay.I mean, you’re only three months gone.There’s plenty of things they can do.”

Melody wiped her tears away with the sleeve of her hospital gown then turned to Irene, confused.“What do you mean, things they can do?”

“You know, to sort you out.”

Melody seemed to suddenly realise what Irene was saying.“You want me to get rid of it?”

It was Irene’s turn to be surprised.The solution had seemed obvious.“Well, yeah, I mean, you’re not actually thinking of keeping this baby, are you?Do you really think you could bring up a child?”

“There’s other solutions.I…I could give the baby up for adoption.”

Irene shook her head.“Love, believe me, it’s not as easy as that.When you’ve been carrying a child around inside you for nine months, when you’ve given birth to it and held it in your arms and heard it cry for its mother, it’ll break your heart to part with it.Believe me, I know.It’ll be a lot easier on you if you just have a clean break now.”

“I was always brought up to believe abortion was wrong.”

“Melody love, you were raped.Those are pretty extreme circumstances.I’m sure God would forgive you.”

Melody gave her a look of complete earnestness.“Would God really want me to kill my baby just because its father had sinned?”

Irene wanted to give her an answer, to provide some blinding insight that would cast aside all her doubts and make her see the truth of the situation.But in that moment, seeing that innocent belief in Melody’s eyes, she couldn’t think of one.She held Melody’s gaze for a moment longer then turned to Geoff, who had been standing silent throughout the conversation.“Geoff, can you talk to her for a minute?”She turned back to Melody.“I won’t be long, love.I just want to give Annie a ring.”

Axel was wiping down tables when Nicole came hurrying in.“Sorry I’m late,”she told him,“but I’ve got a really good excuse.”

“Oh yeah?Let’s hear it then.”

Nicole looked as though she was bursting to tell someone.“Big drama at school.Melody faints dead away, completely, right there in the middle of the corridor.We’re talking ambulance, hospital, the works.”

The mention of Melody had made Axel tense up.“Well…what happened to her?Do they know?”

“No, they took her to hospital, Geoff went with her.No-one’s telling us anything.”

Axel tried not to look worried but all his fears were boiling inside him.What if it was something he’d done?What if he’d hurt her in some way, injured her?Was that possible, that an injury could go undetected for three months and then someone would suddenly collapse?

Annie came through the door.She looked as though she’d just had a shock.“Nicky?Can I talk to you?”

“Sure, Ann.Have a seat.”Nicole gestured to a table.“What’s up?”

“It…it’s about Melody.”

Axel’s ears pricked up.He carried on wiping the table but his main focus was on the two girls’ conversation.“What’s wrong?”Nicole asked,“Have the hospital found out anything?”

“Yeah, Irene just rang me,”Annie replied,“She…she said Melody was pregnant!”

Axel froze.From what he knew of Melody, he didn’t think there’d be that many candidates for the father. Which meant…No, it couldn’t possibly be…

He suddenly felt a great need to sit down.

Melody had started crying again the moment Irene had left.Geoff had sat by her side, holding her hand, his arm around her shoulders.“What am I going to do, Geoff?”she sobbed.

Geoff felt helpless.“I…I don’t know, Mel, I can’t decide for you.It has to be up to you.”

“But Irene’s right, I…I can’t be a mother.But I can’t have an abortion.”

“No-one’s going to force you.”

“But that’s what Irene wants me to do and if I don’t then she’ll…”

Geoff was shocked to realise what Melody was thinking.“Mel, Irene’s not going to throw you out because you won’t have an abortion.She knows it’s your choice.”

“I know she’s been nice but Mum and Dad went off…”

“Irene’s not going to leave you.And neither am I.”

Melody looked at him, surprised.“What do you mean?”

“I mean, I’ll be here for you.If you decide to have an abortion or if you decide to give the baby up for adoption, I’ll be right here, every step of the way.And if you want to keep the baby, well, I’m with you on that as well.”

“You’re just trying to say the right thing.”

“No, Mel, I mean it.If you have this baby, it’ll need a father.And as I’m your boyfriend, I guess that’s my job.”

“Geoff, I’m having a baby because someone raped me.Do you really think you could love a baby in those circumstances?”

“It’s your baby.How could I not love that?”

Melody was so overwhelmed that she kissed him, for the first time since they’d got back together.She’d been putting it off, expecting to flash back to that night, to Axel kissing her and touching her.But she didn’t see any of that.All she saw was Geoff.

Aww poor Melody.It reminds me of Robbie and Tash a bit,without the cult lol.

reminded me of tasha and robbie a bit too. it made me think loads of people have had babies while they were living with irene.

Um...I swear I had this scene in my head before I read your posts, people.Oh boy, save me from readers who are even bigger continuity nuts than I am...And I swear I'm not going to include any cults. Or turn around and say Axel only thought he raped Melody and it was actually someone else.

CHAPTER 15

There was a photo of a baby on top of the cutlery chest.Melody had never quite got around to finding out who all the people were in the photos that dotted Irene’s front room.She sat on the table staring at it.She had never spent much time around young children and had never really given much thought as to what they were like.She supposed she would find out soon.

Irene came in through the back door and noticed her interest.She came over and sat beside her.“Who is that?”asked Melody.

“My grandson Paul.That’s an old photograph-he’s eleven now.It’s just he went missing shortly after he was born and for a long time that photo was all we had of him.So I keep it up there to remind myself how lucky we are to have him back.”

“Is that what you meant?When you said you knew what it was like to be separated from a child?”

“Oh, it’s more than that, love.I gave birth to Paul.It’s a long story but we thought that my daughter Fin couldn’t have children so I ended up carrying her child for her.I knew all along he was her son and not mine but it broke my heart to part with him.”She shook her head, dispersing the memory.“Anyway, that’s not something you have to worry about.You’re going to be a mum.And you’ve got a decent boy who’s willing to be a dad.”

Melody turned to face her.“I’m sorry, Irene.I’m sorry I didn’t do what you said.I thought about having an abortion, I did, honestly, but I just couldn’t.It’s not that I’m not grateful for all you’ve done for me and I do really respect you but…”

“Oh, Melody, love.”Irene placed her hands on the girl’s shoulders.“Don’t think for one moment that I’m angry or upset with you over this.You have handled it so well, been so strong.What I said at the hospital, I was only thinking of you, honestly.I thought that having a baby would be too hard on you.But you know what?You’re going to prove me wrong.I know you are.And if I’ve ever said anything that makes you think I wouldn’t support you on this, then I’m sorry because I am behind you one hundred percent.”

“I…I don’t know about being strong.I mean, having this baby seems the right thing but I’m not sure I’ll cope.Will we really be able to get past what happened?Will Geoff really accept this baby?”

“Here.Let me show you something.”Irene went to a drawer and pulled out a photo album, flicking to one of the pages.She gestured to a photo of a couple a few years older than Melody.“Do you know who they are?”

Melody looked at the couple.The girl was very pretty, she thought.The boy looked like the sort who enjoyed science class but he had a kind face.She liked them.“No.”

Irene gestured to the girl.“That’s Tasha.She lived with me for a while.And that’s her husband Robbie.And someone forced himself on her while she was asleep and she had a baby.And her and Robbie, they love that baby like she’s their own child.They came through all that and they’re all right.And you and Geoff will be too.”

Tony handed Geoff a beer.“Here.You look like you could use this.Just don’t tell Irene, okay?I’m supposed to be setting you a good example.”

“Thanks, Tony.”Geoff knocked the top off the beer bottle but didn’t start drinking.Instead he just sank lower into Tony’s couch.

“Did you come round here cos you wanted to discuss anything in particular or..?”

“I’m going to be a dad, Tony!”It came out almost as a yelp.“I mean, not in the literal sense but in every other sense…I’m going to be a dad!”

“Yeah, I heard about that.I gotta say I’m real proud of you, mate.A lot of lads your age would run a mile if they found out their girlfriend was pregnant-especially if it wasn’t theirs.”

“It’s not Melody’s fault.”

“I know that, mate.But all the same…”

“I want to be with Melody.And the baby’s part of that.”

“And I respect that.But I gotta say, Geoff, you’re not looking mighty pleased about it.”

Geoff took a deep breath before saying what was on his mind.“I’m scared, Tony.I mean, I’m seventeen years old.I wasn’t expecting to be a dad yet.I always thought there was things you’d have to do before being a dad.What if I let Mel down?What if I let the baby down?What if I’m not up to this?”

“Geoff, mate, just try breathing for a second, okay?”Tony gave him a sympathetic smile.“Look, what you’re feeling, it’s pretty similar to what most first time parents are feeling, regardless of age.I wasn’t much older than you when we had Jack and trust me I was bricking it, we both were.It’s a steep learning curve but you do learn.I’d be a lot more worried if you were swaggering about the place saying you’d got it all covered.The fact you’re worried shows you’ve got the right instincts.”

“But…what if I haven’t got any instincts?I’m not the father, I’ve got no biological connection, what if I just don’t feel like a parent?”

“Geoff, this is Summer Bay.Look around you.Have you got any idea how many kids in this town don’t live with their biological parents?”

“Oh, yeah, that’s true.”

“You’d make a better father than most of the boys around here.And if there’s anything you don’t know, you’ve got me or Irene to go to.Trust me, Geoff.You’re gonna be all right.”

Aden rooted through the fridge and found two beer bottles at the back.“Ah, here we are.Roman won’t mind.It’s not as if he wrote ‘Do not touch’ on them or anything.”

He turned towards the lounge to throw one to Axel but Axel held up a hand to stop him.“Not for me, thanks.”

“Oh yeah, sorry, mate, I was forgetting you’d signed the pledge.”Aden put Axel’s beer back in the fridge and threw him a sports drink instead.He headed into the lounge, opening his own beer as he did so.“You know, I think the idea is you’re supposed to start drinking when you turn eighteen, not stop.”

“I like to keep a clear head, okay?”

“Hey, no complaints from me.Means you’re a cheap date.”

“Talking of which, how are things going between you and my sister?”

“You date my sister, I date yours.”Aden had been surprised when Danielle had asked him out but, after they way he’d reacted to Nicole, going out with someone younger than him and fairly inexperienced had seemed a pretty safe bet.He was also very conscious of the fact that she’d asked Geoff out first and only a few months previous he’d have been horrified at the idea of being second choice behind Geoff.But he kind of admired the way Geoff had stuck by Melody.Not that he’d ever tell him that to his face, of course.

Axel was unaware of Aden’s thoughts.“All the same, am I supposed to get all big brother heavy on you and tell you if you hurt her I’ll break every bone in your body?”

Aden barely heard him.His mind had stuck on other matters.“Did you hear about Melody being pregnant?”

Axel looked suddenly uncomfortable.“Yeah, mate, I’d heard.You reckon Geoff’s the father?”

Aden shook his head.“Nah, the bible says you’re not allowed to have fun.Must be that scum that raped her.Don’t suppose he’s going to be paying any maintenance, huh?”

Nicole came through the front door and struck a dramatic pose.“I am telling you, my dad is such a slave driver.Just finished school, he puts me straight into a three hour shift, I tell him I’ve got homework, he says I’ve got time this evening, does he not know just how much pampering is necessary to look this good?Hey, Axel, nice to see you.”

Aden grinned and headed for the stairs.“I’ll leave you two to it.”

“Yeah,”Axel agreed,“Oh-and if you hurt my sister, I’ll break every bone in your body.”

Aden gave him a mock salute before disappearing from view.“Understood, pal.”

“Were you talking about Danielle?”Nicole asked as she took a seat.

“Actually, we were talking about Melody.”Axel answered without thinking and cursed himself straightaway.It was not a subject he wanted to discuss.

Nicole sighed.“Yeah, poor Mel.Pregnant at fifteen and doesn’t even know who the father is.”

“Yeah, I guess he’ll be well away from here by now.Do you ever think about having children?”Axel didn’t even know why he’d asked the question, he just wanted to move the conversation along.

“Ruin this body?No way.I am not even going to think about having children until I’m really old, like, thirty or something.Why?You planning on becoming a father some time soon?”

Axel suddenly felt uncomfortable again.“No.Not gonna be a father any time soon.”

Thanks for your comments everyone.Can't believe that last chapter went as well as it did;up until yesterday that scene with Geoff and Tony was going to be in the next chapter which seems like monumental idiocy now.Anyway, hope you enjoy this one.

CHAPTER 16

Axel was on his way out of the Diner when he ran into Nicole outside the bathrooms.“Hey there,”she greeted him,“I didn’t think you were working this morning.”

“No, I just came in to pick up my pay packet.You’re here early.”

“Yeah, we were supposed to be having breakfast together but…”Nicole nodded pointedly towards the girls’ bathroom.

Axel listened carefully.He could hear the unmistakable sound of someone throwing up.“Is someone ill?”

“Melody.She’s been getting really bad morning sickness the past few weeks.”

Axel was yanked out of his comfort zone once again.He really didn’t need to hear the details of how bad Melody was having it, being pregnant with what he was almost certain was his child.And he definitely didn’t want to be there when she came out.“Right.Yeah.Well, I’d better get on.Promised my dad I’d help him in the garden this morning.”

“Okay.We still meeting up tonight?”

“Yep.See you then.”

“You feeling better?”Annie asked as Melody and Nicole took their seats with her.

Melody nodded.“I think it was the smell of coffee that set me off.Although actually most smells set me off.”

“Oh.Maybe coming here wasn’t such a good idea after all.”

“No, I need to get out.I can’t keep hiding away from everyone.”

“Who are you hiding from?”Nicole asked,“I thought we were friends now.”

Melody shook her head.“Not you.Everyone else.I see the way the girls look at me at school.They still don’t believe I was raped.As far as everyone’s concerned, I’m just some silly slut that’s got herself pregnant.”

Annie looked angry at that.“Well, if anyone does it again, point them out to us and we’ll bash them.Right, Nicky?”

Nicole didn’t look quite as sure.“Um, right.So long as they’re not, you know, bigger than us or something.”

Melody smiled at them both.“It’s okay.I think I’d probably be the same.”

Annie was surprised.“What, you mean if someone else was raped..?”

“No, I mean, if someone our age was pregnant I’d probably have looked down on them as well.Mum was always going on about girls like that and how they’d be punished one day and I agreed with her.It seemed so obvious.Doesn’t seem so obvious now it’s me.”

“Melody, you’re not gonna be punished.Maybe I thought the same once as well but when you get to know people you find the world’s not as simple as we’re told when we’re kids.”

Nicole looked from one to the other in bemusement.“Well I hope it’s not true cos if it is I know an awful lot of girls who are going to be feeling the heat come Judgement Day.”

Aden was crossing the school yard when he noticed Melody leaning against a tree, as though she was having trouble standing up.And once again, before he knew it, he was heading in her direction.There were times when trying to be a good guy was awfully inconvenient.“Melody?”he asked once he got within earshot.

“Aden?”Melody responded, looking in his general direction.She seemed to be having a difficult time focusing on him.

“Yeah, it’s me.You all right?”

“I’m fine.Just a bit dizzy.It’ll pass in a moment.”

“Well, come and sit down.”Aden took Melody’s weight and helped her to sit on a nearby wall.Then he sat down beside her.“Is this to do with the pregnancy?”

Melody touched her stomach instinctively.Over the past couple of weeks, a slight curve had started developing.“You know about that then?”

“I think the whole school knows.Must be hard.”

“The pregnancy or everyone knowing about it?”

“Both.”

Melody shrugged.“Yeah, pretty hard, I guess.But Geoff and Irene and everyone have been great about it. And if anyone’s got a problem with it, I suppose that’s up to them.”

“If anyone’s got a problem with it, then it’s their problem not yours.”Aden paused for a moment.“Do you mind if I ask…did you ever think about getting rid of the baby?I mean, it must remind you of what happened.”

“Yeah, like I’m going to forget.I thought about it but I was always brought up to believe you shouldn’t have an abortion, whatever the circumstances.”

Aden was surprised.“What, you still believe in all that Christian stuff?After everything that’s happened?”

“It’s easy to believe when things are going right for you.Believing when things have gone wrong, that’s the real test of faith.”

Not for the first time, Aden was forced to conclude that despite their similar experiences he really didn’t understand Melody.“You gonna be all right on your own now?”he asked.

“Yes, thanks.The dizziness is passing.”

“Good.Catch you later.”

“One cup of coffee.”Nicole came out of the kitchen with the cup in her hand and passed it to Axel.“You sure that’s all you want?”

“You know, I’m actually developing a taste for it.Doesn’t do much for your breath but it creates fewer headaches.”

“Take your word for it.I mean, being too young to drink, I’ve never had a hangover, obviously.”

“Yeah, okay, I believe you.”

“So what do you want to do tonight?”

Axel shrugged.“Dunno.Anything good on the telly?”

“There might be.But wouldn’t you rather do this?”She kissed him lightly.

“Well, yeah, that’s good too.”

“Got the house to ourselves.Dad and Aden are at the Diner till late.Could do a few other things as well.” She nodded upwards.

Axel grinned.He hadn’t wanted to broach the subject with her but now that she’d brought it up…“Lead the way then.”

She took his hand and led him towards the stairs.And then a wave of nausea hit him.He remembered the last time he’d climbed those stairs, that night, when he’d found Melody up there, waiting for him, or so it had seemed at the time.He let go of Nicole’s hand.“What’s wrong?”she asked.

“I’m sorry, I…I can’t do this.”He bolted out the door.

Nicole stood alone in the front room, wondering what had just happened.

CHAPTER 17

Melody collapsed on the couch as soon as she got home, giving an exaggerated moan.“If this is how everyone feels when they’re pregnant, I’m surprised we haven’t died out.”

Geoff moved her legs slightly so he could sit down, resting them on his lap.“You know, I read that morning sickness doesn’t usually last past twenty weeks.You’re about that now, so it shouldn’t be long.”

Melody opened an eye weakly.“Usually?How many weeks can it last?”

“Um, well, in rare cases…forty.”

Melody closed her eye again.“Great.”Then something occurred to her.“Hang on, didn’t you have footie practise today?”

“Yeah but I told Tony I wouldn’t be able to make it.I need to keep an eye on you.”

“Geoff, once the baby’s born I’ll need help.Right now all you can do is sit and watch me throw up.Go. Enjoy yourself while you can.”

“No, I’d rather…”

“Go,”Melody repeated forcefully.

Geoff grinned.When he’d first met Melody, she’d hardly ever said anything forcefully.He was pleased at how much stronger she’d become the last few months.He gave her a mock salute.“Yes, sir.Do you want me to make some tea for you before I go?”

Melody turned over as if about to go to sleep.“No, if I feel like eating later, I’ll go to the Diner.”

Nicole made it home as fast as she could and headed into the kitchen.She’d persuaded Axel to come round again that night and wanted everything set up before he got there.She quickly glanced at everything she needed:the kettle was on the workbench, milk in the fridge, coffee…she checked the cupboard where it was usually kept but there was no sign of it.She racked her brains and remembered Aden had had it at breakfast. His bag was in the front room and he’d had the last period free.He was probably in his room.

Nicole headed up the stairs and pushed Aden’s bedroom door open.“Aden, what did you do with the..?” She stopped.Two red faces glared back at her.Aden was in bed with Danielle.

“Actually,”she continued after a moment’s pause,“it can wait.”She gently pulled the door shut.

“You don’t have to go,”Aden insisted as he followed Danielle down the stairs.

“Oh, I think I do.”She nodded towards the kitchen doorway.Nicole was standing there, smirking.“Next time, give her some money and send her to the pictures.”She kissed Aden goodbye.“See you tomorrow.”

Nicole chuckled as soon as the door was closed.“Wow.You and Axel’s sister.”

“He knows we’re going out,”Aden reminded her.

“Yeah but does he know you’re getting naked together?”

“It was the first time…not that that’s any of your business.”It had taken a lot of time for Aden to feel comfortable sleeping with Danielle, especially in the room where Melody had been raped.It was lucky for him that Danielle hadn’t minded waiting.He had a worrying feeling she’d thought he was being sweet.

Nicole held up her hands placatingly as she went to sit down.“Hey, I’ve no objections.It’s good that at least someone in this house is getting some.”

Aden caught the implication.“You and Axel haven’t..?”

“No.We nearly did a few weeks ago but he went all weird on me.Bit like you did, really.I dunno, suddenly I can’t even give it away.”

“So, what, you decided to wait?”

“Oh, he’s coming over tonight.And trust me, he won’t know what’s hit him.Where’s the coffee?”

Aden was surprised at the change of subject.“Second cupboard from the left, top shelf.”

“No, that’s where it supposed to be.Where did you leave it?”

Aden thought for a moment.“Second cupboard from the right.Bottom shelf.I was in a rush.”

Melody entered the Diner but she could see no-one behind the counter.“Hello?”she called out.She could hear movement in the kitchen so she headed on through.

Nicole was rummaging in one of the cupboards.She started when she saw Melody approaching then breathed a sigh of relief.“Mel, don’t do that to me!I thought you were my dad coming back.”

“Why, what are you up to?”

Nicole took out a bottle of red wine.“It’s Dad’s cooking wine.He’d skin me alive if he found out I’d taken it.”

“Well, what do you want it for?”

“Axel’s coming round tonight.I’m planning to, you know, take the next step..?”

“Oh!”Melody was surprised.“You mean, you haven’t already?”

“No.I suggested it to him but he got all tense.”She patted the bottle.“This’ll loosen him up.”

Melody was confused.Axel had raped her yet he hadn’t slept with Nicole when she wanted it?Either he really had changed or she was missing the point entirely…

“Coffee won’t be long!”Nicole called through from the kitchen.

“I can wait!”Axel called back,“Just not too long, okay?”

He took a deep breath, trying to relax.He’d never had problems like this before but ever since what had happened with Melody he’d avoided anything that could remind him of that night.Every time he did remember what he’d done it just made him feel ill.He knew he should be doing something about it but the only thing he could think of, save going to prison, was to make sure he never did it again.He knew he’d drunk too much that night, been out of control.Nicole and Aden and the others laughed at the way he’d been off alcohol since then but it was the only way he could think of to avoid it.The only way he could stop himself acting the way he had.

Nicole glanced back at the sitting room to make sure Axel wasn’t watching.She’d made the coffee nice and strong so he wouldn’t notice it tasted different.She took the bottle of red wine from the cupboard and poured a generous amount into Axel’s coffee.She knew he wanted her.He just needed loosening up a bit, then he’d be putty in her hands.

She had a feeling she’d be seeing a different side to Axel tonight…

Warning: If you found the opening chapters too intense...then you probably won't be reading this.But the warning's here anyway.

CHAPTER 18

Roman was searching through the Diner’s kitchen cupboard, unable to find what he was looking for.“Aden, have you seen my cooking wine?”

“Not since this morning.Why, isn’t it there?”

“Doesn’t look like it.I think someone’s taken it.”Roman thought for a moment.“Axel was working here this morning.Do you think he would have taken it?”

Aden shook his head.“Nah, Axel doesn’t drink.”

Melody had come over to the counter during their conversation and overheard the last comment.“What do you mean?I’ve seen Axel drunk.”

“Yeah, he used to,”Aden agreed,“But he stopped a few months back.”

Things suddenly started falling into place in Melody’s mind.Worrying things.“When…when was the last time he got drunk?”

“Oh, I dunno.I guess the last time I saw him drinking was at that party where…”Aden stopped, embarrassed, remembering who he was talking to.“Sorry, I didn’t…”

Melody overrode his apology.It wasn’t the most important thing at that moment.“That’s the last time?He hasn’t had a drink since then?”

“Well, I haven’t seen him have one…”

“It was Axel.”Melody almost blurted it out.

Aden looked confused.“What?”

“It was Axel that attacked me.”

“Melody, you can’t just go around saying things like that…”

“I’ve known all along.I saw him.It was Axel.”

There was a horrified look in Aden’s eyes.“What?!”

“I…I thought he was all right with Nicole, that she’d be safe, but what if it was the drink that made him act like that?What if that’s why he’s stayed away from it?”

Roman was looking confused now.“I’m not really seeing the connection…”

“It was Nicole that took the wine.She’s going to spike Axel’s drink.She thought it might…loosen him up.”

Roman and Aden looked at each other, both of them coming to the same conclusion.“We’d better get round there,”Roman decided.He called over to the other side of the Diner.“Leah!Look after things here. And look after Melody as well.”

As Roman and Aden hurried out, Leah went over to Melody, who was looking distressed.“Melody? What’s wrong?”

Melody took a deep breath before making the decision she realised now she should have made months ago.“I think you’d better call the police.”

Axel had polished off three cups of coffee, along with a generous helping of red wine.Nicole looked at him, pleased with her efforts.He was looking a lot less uptight than he had been lately.He shook his head as though to clear it, a daft grin on his face.“Wow.That’s strong stuff.”

“Maybe I can help you work off the effects.”She leaned in and kissed him.

He needed no further encouragement, pushing her down on the sofa.For a second, Nicole was enjoying it and then, suddenly, everything felt wrong.The way he’d grabbed hold of her didn’t feel intimate or romantic, he was handling her roughly, clumsily, like a piece of meat.His knee was sticking painfully in her ribs but it was like he didn’t care.He pulled at her dress, ripping it.

Annoyed, Nicole pushed him off.“Axel, you idiot!That hurt!”

Axel stared at her for a moment, bewildered, and then he was on top of her again.Nicole made to push him away but realised, with mounting panic, that she couldn’t.He had her pinned down, unable to move out from under him.

“Axel, no!Axel, stop!”

After calling the police, Leah’s next call had been to Irene.She had headed to the Diner straightaway and sat with Melody as she poured out her story.When Melody had finished, she sighed.“Oh, Mel.I wish you’d told us this sooner.”

“I know but I was frightened and I thought so long as he didn’t hurt anybody else…”Melody looked distraught.

“But surely you realise Axel needs to be punished for this?It’s the only way he’ll know what he did was wrong.”

“But…but if we’re right and it’s the alcohol making him do this, then it’s not his fault, right?I mean, people say you used to drink and you were horrible then but now you’ve stopped and you’re really nice.”

Irene sighed.“Oh, love, I wish it was as simple as that, that I could say it was the booze that hurt my kids and not me.But…alcohol might make you do things you wouldn’t normally do, but it doesn’t put ideas in your head.If Axel attacked you, then on some subconscious level he must have wanted to.”

Leah came back in, followed by Jack and Lara.Jack came over to their table.“I understand you want to talk to us.”

Melody nodded.“I want to change my statement.I lied before.I did see who attacked me.”

Aden and Roman came bursting through the door and took in the scene in an instant.“Get off her, you animal!”Aden snarled.He swung a fist like a club, knocking Axel off Nicole.Axel hit the wall and slid down.He stood crouched there, looking up at them stupidly, as though unsure what had happened.Aden stalked towards him, fists balled, looking as if he was going to finish the job.

“Leave him, Aden!”Roman snapped.At that moment, seeing Axel get a hiding had its attractions, but the last thing Nicole needed was two teenage boys brawling in her front room.He crouched down beside her. “Nic?Are you all right?”

Nicole was shaking and stammering.Roman had never seen her look so vulnerable.“I…I wanted him to but…he hurt me.And I told him to stop and he wouldn’t, he just kept…If you hadn’t turned up…”

Roman hugged her to his chest before looking across the room.“Aden, call the police.”

Once again, many thanks to everyone for their kind comments, that was another chapter that I really wanted to get right so I'm glad people think I did.And they even liked an Aden scene that was in the original outline!Hope you all enjoy the remaining chapters.

CHAPTER 19

There was a large group gathered in the police station waiting room:Nicole, Roman, Aden, Melody, Irene, Geoff, Annie and Leah.Finally Jack came out of the interview room.“Axel’s made a full confession.He’s been charged with the rape of Melody Jones and the attempted rape of Nicole Franklin.”

“Hang on,”put in Aden,“What happened to those DNA test we all had?Axel’s results came back clear.”

“Faked.He swapped samples.”

“Yeah?”There was a dangerous look in Aden’s eyes.“Well, who helped him?I think we need to have words.”

Jack turned to Leah.“Actually, it was VJ.Axel paid him for a DNA sample.I don’t think he really understood what it was.”

Leah glanced at Aden who looked embarrassed.“Okay, maybe I’ll let him off.”

“So what happens now?”Irene asked.

“Axel will be up in court in the morning,”Jack explained,“If he pleads guilty, they’ll set a date for sentencing.”

“I want to see him,”Melody announced.

Everyone looked at her in surprise.“Why on earth would you want to do that?”Irene asked.

“I just…I need to know what he has to say.”

“Well, let me or Geoff go with you.”

“No, it’s something I need to do on my own.It’s all right, he won’t be able to hurt me, there’ll be a policeman in there.”She looked at Jack.“Right?”

“Okay,”Jack agreed after a pause,“I’ll see what I can sort out.”

Axel raised his head as Melody entered.“I’m sorry.”

They were the first words he’d said to her since that night and they brought Melody up short, everything she’d planned to say going out of her head.She stopped and looked at him.She’d built him up in her mind these last months as some sort of monster.Seeing him now, sitting there, defeated and, she realised, more than a little scared, he actually looked rather pathetic.

Axel gestured to Melody’s stomach.She was five months pregnant now and definitely showing.“The baby..?”

“You’re the father.”For some reason she didn’t mind saying it.Maybe after all the months of lies she was relieved to get everything out in the open at last.

He shook his head.“I don’t have any right to call myself that.I did think about turning myself in, you know.Not very often but I did.”

This wasn’t the way she’d expected the conversation to go.She sat down opposite him.“Why didn’t you?”

“I just thought…what I’d done to you, yeah, I knew it was wrong but why should I ruin my life because of it?I thought as long as it didn’t happen again, so long as I stayed away from the booze, stayed in control…”

Melody remembered what Irene had told her.“Axel…drinking might have brought all that stuff out of you but it must have been there to start with.I…I think you need help.”

“Yeah.”He gave her a nervous grin.“Guess I’d better hope the prison’s got a good shrink, huh?”

“Is that what’s going to happen to you?”She was surprised to find she was bothered.

“You’re kidding, right?They’ll throw away the key.”

Melody couldn’t quite believe what she was about to say but it seemed like the right thing.“I…I think I know someone that can help you.”

Morag Bellingham peered over the top of her glasses at the three teenagers who had accosted her in the Diner.“Let me get this straight.You are asking me to defend the boy who raped you?”

“It’s not as though we want you to get him off,”Annie pointed out.

“He’s going to plead guilty,”Geoff clarified.

Morag listened to what they said but her reply was addressed to Melody.“Nevertheless, are you sure you want me to represent him?”

“If he doesn’t have a defence, what will happen to him?”

“For the rape of a minor?Even with no previous convictions, he could easily get ten years.”

Melody nodded.“He…he needs to be punished but I want it to be the right punishment.He doesn’t deserve that.I want you to make sure he gets the sentence he deserves.”

Morag glanced at Nicole, who had been sitting at a table nearby during the conversation.“And what about you, Miss Franklin?What’s your opinion on all this?”

Nicole got to her feet and came to stand with the others.“What Axel did to me was bad but…what he did to Melody was worse.So if this is what she wants, then it’s all right with me.”

“Very well.”Morag got up.“I’ll arrange to speak with young Mr.Hay as soon as possible.”

As Morag left, Melody turned to Nicole.“Thanks.And…I’m sorry.”

“What for?”

“If I’d told you, told anyone, about Axel sooner, you wouldn’t have been attacked.”

“Hey, Mel, no sweat.I’ve tangled with worse than Axel, believe me.”

But Melody had seen past Nicole’s bravado, seen the same fear and helplessness that she’d felt.She hoped her friend wouldn’t take as long as her to start talking to people.

Aden had gone out for a walk first thing, needing to clear his head.When he got home, he found Danielle sitting on the doorstep.She smiled at him awkwardly.“Hi.”

“Hi,”he said in response.

“I thought about knocking but I didn’t want to speak to Roman or Nicole.”

“It’s okay.They’ve gone out already.I saw them at the Diner.”He sat down beside her.

“The police came round last night.They told us about Axel.Aden, I swear none of us knew what he’d done.”

“Hey, I didn’t think you did.What’s it like at home?”

“Horrible.Mum hasn’t stopped crying.Dad…he’s just so angry.They’ve told us we can see Axel later today.”

Aden was genuinely surprised.“Why would you want to do that?”

“He’s still my brother, Aden!”

“Yeah, look, my brothers are no saints but they wouldn’t do anything like that.”

“We can’t just pretend like he doesn’t exist!Maybe you can forget being his friend but we can’t do that. I…I understand if you don’t want anything more to do with me.”

“No, I…I know better than to judge someone by who they’re related to.”Danielle had been there for him when he’d needed her, even if she didn’t know it.He couldn’t turn his back on her.He put his arm around her and she rested her head on his shoulder.

Axel was standing in the dock, a lonely figure.Melody and Nicole were sitting at one end of the court, surrounded by Irene, Geoff, Annie and Roman.Danielle and her parents were at the other end of the room. Mrs.Hay had started crying when the prosecution read out the evidence, her face now buried in her husband’s shoulder.Aden sat awkwardly halfway between the two groups.He might have been Danielle’s boyfriend but everyone knew where his sympathies lay.

The judge shuffled his papers before addressing Axel.“Your defence has spoken of your previous good record and the fact that you have, however belatedly, admitted your guilt.The court accepts that your crimes were not pre-meditated, that your judgement was influenced by alcohol and that you have shown genuine remorse.However, you were responsible for a serious sexual assault on a girl of fifteen and it is only thanks to the actions of others that another girl did not suffer the same fate.This court cannot give the impression that such behaviour is in any way acceptable in a civilised society.For that reason, I have no choice but to impose a custodial sentence.You are hereby sentenced to five years, with a non-parole period of two.”

Everyone stood in silence until both Axel and the judge had left.Then Morag went over to Melody and handed her a piece of paper.“For you, Miss Jones.I had them rush it through.”

“What is that?”Irene asked.

“It’s a visiting order,”Morag explained.

Aden had come over during the exchange.“For Axel?Why would you want to see him?”

“When someone’s sorry, you forgive them, Aden,”Melody replied,“That’s the way it works.”

Aden shook his head in incomprehension.He glanced over to where Danielle and her parents were leaving. “Look, I’d better go.See you all later.”He headed over to them.Danielle took his arm as they followed her parents out.

Geoff smiled at Melody.“You’re amazing, you know that?”

“No.But I like hearing you say it.”

I haven't read all of this (too little time tho I'll try to read all of it some time) but that last chapter was very emotional. :)

Wow, I can't believe there's still people joining the party.Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the last two chapters.

And that goes for the rest of you too.

CHAPTER 20

“Come on, Melody, just one more push!”called the midwife.

Melody’s forehead was caked with sweat as she pushed through the contractions.Geoff was holding her hand and stroking her hair.“Come on, Mel,”he whispered,“You’re being really brave.”

And then it was all over.She heard the crying of her baby and the sound made her heart leap for joy.The midwife wrapped the baby up in a sheet.“Congratulations, Melody,”she said,“You’ve got a boy.”

Melody took hold of the baby as he was handed to her, ever so gently, afraid of hurting him.She looked down at the tiny, crying bundle and thought he was the most beautiful thing she’d ever seen.She looked at Geoff and saw from his face that he was thinking the same thing.And she knew in that moment that what Irene had said to her all those months ago was true.They were going to be all right.“A son, Geoff,”she whispered,“We’ve got a son.”

Geoff nodded eagerly.“Have you thought about what you’re going to call him?”

“James.After your father.”

Geoff grinned.“Yeah.Yeah, I think he’d have liked that.”

Irene came back into the room and stopped at the sight of the baby.“Oh, Mel.Well done, love.”She kissed her on the top of the head.

“Did you get through to him?”Melody asked.

“The proud father?”There was a hint of sarcasm in Irene’s voice.“Yeah, I phoned the prison.”

“And did you talk to him about changing the visiting order?So I can bring James with me next time?”

There was a trace of confusion in Irene’s face.Geoff nodded to the baby.“James.”He still hadn’t stopped grinning.

Irene nodded in understanding.“Yeah, I told him about it.”

Melody was surprised by her reticience.“And?”

“And…he said he doesn’t want you to visit him anymore.”

Annie came running out of the office and looked around the corridor.She noticed a group of students at their lockers, Jai, Nicole and Danielle among them, and hurried over.“Irene just called from the hospital! Melody’s had a baby boy!”

Jai grinned at her enthusiasm.“That’s awesome!”

“I can’t believe it!I’m an auntie!”She suddenly remembered Danielle was there and felt slightly awkward. “You too, I guess.”

Danielle gave a slight smile but they could tell she was thinking about her brother.“Tell…tell Geoff and Melody I’m pleased for them.Aden will be too.And my parents.”

“Maybe you could go and visit them later,”Annie suggested.

Danielle nodded vaguely.“Yeah, maybe.I’ve…I’ve got to meet Aden.I’ll see you later.”

Annie looked after her, feeling a bit bad that she’d upset her.“Was that wrong of me?”

“Hey, we can’t spend the rest of our lives walking on eggshells because of Axel,”Nicole told her,“This is a happy time.”

Jai put his arm around her.“You are going to be the coolest aunt ever.”

Axel pinned James’ photo to his cell wall.He felt a stirring of pride, even though he knew he had nothing to be proud of.The photo had been contained in his last letter from Melody.She hadn’t really understood why he didn’t want her to come anymore but she’d agreed.It had helped him, seeing her, seeing that she was happy, that he hadn’t ruined her life completely.But the time had come for him to move on, if that was possible.His counsellor had told him he needed to leave Melody in his past.That was why he’d decided that when he got out, whenever that was, he wasn’t going to go back to Summer Bay.He was going to go somewhere far away, where he could start again.He knew Geoff Campbell would be a better father to his son than he could ever be and maybe this way James would never have to know how he came to be conceived.

Axel had heard that even out of the greatest evil there must come something good.He knew he’d done evil to Melody, but looking at the photo of their son, he couldn’t help thinking that perhaps something good had come out of it.

Archived