Relative Confusion

Guest Miranda

They all set off for the beach: Rachel, Hugh and their three children; Kirsty and Olly; Leah and VJ; and Ceri.

There weren’t many people on the beach as it was getting late in the day, but it was nice not to be crowded.

‘Is Miles not coming?’ asked Leah.

‘We’re not joined at the hip, you know,’ said Kirsty sharply, stopping to look at something with Olly.

‘That sounded a bit dismissive,’ whispered Leah to Ceri.

‘Ah,’ he said mysteriously.

‘Is there a reason for that?’

‘I’m sworn to secrecy.’ And he wouldn’t say anymore.

Everyone settled down on the sand. Rachel got food and drinks out for her children and Jamie grabbed a cup of juice.

‘Let’s play football,’ said Kirsty, producing a ball from her bag. She kicked it to Hugh, who stumbled, but just about managed to kick it back in a comical fashion. Ceri joined in, then VJ, and they had an uneven game of VJ and Ceri against Hugh and Kirsty. Leah watched for a while, then joined in on VJ’s side.

‘Hey, three against two, that’s not fair,’ complained Hugh.

‘Stop moanin’, it’s only a bit of fun,’ said Ceri, kicking the ball directly at him.

‘Daddy, Daddy!’ shouted Jamie, putting his empty cup down and running towards him. He flung himself on him.

‘There, now you’ve got three players as well,’ laughed Leah.

They all ran around, getting completely out of breath, laughing and shouting, pushing and shoving.

At last they all sat down for a drink.

‘I must tell you something,’ Leah said to Ceri. ‘I’ve been searching on the internet for Julie Jones. I think that’s the best way, otherwise we’d have to physically go and look in all the state libraries.’

‘Thanks for that. I must admit, I’ve been putting off looking for her: I’m a bit nervous of what I’ll find.’

Leah paused. She hadn’t thought of that.

‘Well, you could find where she is. Then at least you’d know. You’ve got her date of birth: that’s something.’

‘Didn’t you say you had to join those internet sites? I hope it won’t cost too much.’

Leah beamed. That’s where her secret plans would come in. She went over to get some food from Rachel, who always had supplies of everything these days.

‘You and Ceri look happy,’ said Rachel curiously.

‘Yes. I think we’ve settled to being friends. He’s far too immature for me. Well, I know he’s not really, but he’s not in the same place in life as I am. I’m a mother already, but he’s still looking for his mother.’

‘Are you sure about all that?’

‘Yes. It wouldn’t be right for me to get into a relationship so soon after Dan.’

Leah had talked herself into thinking this was the correct thing to do, but Rachel didn’t look convinced. Especially as Leah was gazing at Ceri, who was staring out to sea thoughtfully.

Suddenly, Leah thought of something and looked round the group. Something was wrong, but she couldn’t think what. Then she gasped.

‘Where’s VJ?’

‘I haven’t seen him lately,’ said Rachel.

‘VJ?’ called Leah, scanning all around. ‘Veej?’

Everyone joined in, echoing her shouts, and the name VJ rang out across the beach.

‘Where’s the lifeguard?’ demanded Hugh.

Leah turned towards the ocean. Surely VJ wouldn’t-

‘Oh my God! Over there!’ shouted Kirsty.

A little arm was flung up out of the waves, far out in the ocean.

‘VJ!’ cried Leah, starting to run towards the water.

‘No! Leah! You can’t reach him!’ Kirsty grabbed her and held her back, wishing she had kept up her swimming.

But someone else was already running into the waves, someone much stronger than Leah. She saw the blond head and long limbs of Ceri, before he launched himself under the water and disappeared.

‘Why isn’t the bloody lifeguard on duty?’ shouted Hugh, hesitating on the sand.

Nothing happened. No sign of VJ, or Ceri, or anyone else. Clouds passed across the sun, throwing the beach and ocean into gloom. Time ticked on.

Leah’s tears poured down her face. She and Rachel clung together, holding their breath, hoping.

‘It’s all my fault,’ she sobbed. ‘I’m a terrible mother.’

‘No, no, sh, it’ll be alright,’ soothed Rachel.

Suddenly something broke the surface of the water. A head. A figure emerged. Ceri strode out of the turbulent dark ocean like a creature of the deep, bearing a small limp body. Water streamed off him, it darkened his hair and he swayed under the onslaught of the waves and the weight of his burden.

‘MY SON!’

Leah’s howl was louder than anything else on that beach. She flew towards Ceri, but Hugh was faster. He took VJ from him, carried him to the sand and started CPR, calling for Rachel.

She ran to him, leaving her babies and Jamie with Kirsty and Olly.

Ceri staggered out of the water, breathing hard, and sat down to watch his friends work on VJ. Leah hovered frantically round them.

After a tense few minutes, Hugh sat up and whispered something to Leah. She burst into tears and he patted her on the arm. Rachel sat back too, and VJ lay motionless on the sand.

‘What’s happened?’ Ceri walked slowly over to the group, dreading the answer.

‘He’s alright. Thanks to you,’ said Hugh.

Ceri realised that VJ was weakly holding Leah’s hand, and smiling. He sank down on the sand, overcome with relief.

Kirsty swung into action, pressing buttons on her mobile phone.

‘Miles? It’s me…. I need you to bring the car down to the beach. We’re just along from the surf club…. I can’t explain now, but we need to go to hospital…. No, it’s VJ and Ceri….. Hurry up. I’ll explain when you get here. Love you.’

‘Irene? It’s Kirsty. Can you bring your car down to the beach, near the surf club…? Don’t panic but there’s been an accident and we need help looking after the kids while Leah and VJ go to hospital…. We’re okay, we just need a car… Thanks.’

To Leah, it seemed like ages until Miles and Irene turned up. Miles sprinted along the sand, Irene followed more sedately.

‘Right. I’m ready,’ he panted. ‘Who’s coming to the hospital?’

Hugh carefully picked up VJ and walked steadily along the sand, Miles put his arm round Leah and shepherded her along. Ceri followed, feeling a bit redundant.

Meanwhile, Irene, Kirsty and Rachel collected up Olly, Jamie, Anna and Edward, bundled them into Irene’s car, and set off for Rachel’s house.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the hospital, Hugh ensured that VJ was seen as quickly as possible. He was whisked off to be examined and of course Leah was with him every minute. Ceri was given a brief examination but was only suffering from mild shock. He returned quickly to the waiting area.

‘You did a good job mate,’ said Hugh, patting him on the shoulder.

‘I wonder why he went into the water.’

‘Who knows why kids do anything? I’ve given up wondering.’

Miles sat silently, thoughtfully, his mind way back in his past.

At last Leah came out of the room, smiling weakly.

‘Well?’ Ceri sat up.

‘He’s going to be okay. They will keep him in overnight, but after that he can come home.’ The relief on her face was obvious.

‘Thank you so much. I thought I’d lost him as well as Dan,’ she said to Ceri, her expression a mixture of happiness and sadness.

‘Come on, I’ve got some forms to sign,’ muttered Hugh to Miles, and they tactfully walked away.

Leah put her arms round Ceri, even though he was still sitting down and she was standing up.

‘I can’t ever thank you enough.’

‘Don’t forget Hugh and Rachel helped too.’

‘Yes, but-‘ she looked into his eyes, then kissed him on the lips.

‘Is that a thank you kiss?’ he asked after a while.

‘Partly.’

‘Do you want me to slap you now? So we’re even?’

Leah laughed. ‘Sorry about that. I thought you were cheating on Jazz.’

‘Cheating on Jazz? But I’m not even going out with her.’

‘I know that now. I got the wrong idea.’ She was blushing: what an idiot she’d been.

‘You’re worth a million Jazz’s. I thought you were heartbroken over Miles and hadn’t noticed me.’

‘No! Silly. And you’re worth a million Miles.’

‘Air miles?’ he laughed.

Leah laughed too, suddenly feeling light hearted.

‘You must come round for a meal,’ she said, already planning what she could cook for him. ‘And I can show you all the internet research I’ve been doing, as well.’

‘As well as what?’

They gazed at each other, and the silence was charged with possibilities.

‘You’ll have to come round and see.’ Leah heard herself saying, and was a bit shocked at what she was thinking.

‘Come in,’ said Leah as Ceri arrived for their meal a few evenings later. They had both made an effort to look smart. He was wearing jeans- instead of shorts- and a short sleeved light blue shirt, and Leah a dark pink dress. She was amazed at how nervous she was: her first date for over three years.

‘So how are you this evening?’ she asked formally.

‘I’m very well. How are you?’ Ceri had the beginnings of a smile.

‘I’m very well too. Isn’t that lucky?’ she giggled.

‘Do you come here often?’ he chuckled.

‘Do you?’

He couldn’t even answer that, just laughed and gave her a hug and a kiss.

The meal went along in the same way, with a lot of joking, laughing and fun. Despite his recent experiences, VJ had insisted on going to stay over with a friend, so Leah was off duty and could relax.

She wanted to give Ceri some proper home cooked Greek food, so the menu began with her famous meze, followed by moussaka with salad, then halva with fruit for pudding.

‘God, this is delicious!’ Ceri exclaimed. ‘Do you cook this at the diner?’

‘Yes. Haven’t you had it there?’

‘No. I’ve been missing out, obviously.’

‘I don’t think I’ve done the right thing cooking you such a nice meal though.’

‘Why’s that?’

‘You’re so busy stuffing your face that you’ve hardly said anything.’ She pretended to sulk.

‘Oh well, I’ll make up for it later.’ He said airily, not falling for her teasing.

After they had finished eating, Leah was eager to show him her internet findings.

‘Look, I’ve got lots of Julie Joneses who have got married in Australia since 1980,’ she enthused.

‘Lots? How do we know which one is mine?’

‘Well…’ Now it was Leah’s moment. ‘What we need to find out is their dates of birth. The way to do that is to find the entries of marriage, which will be at the places where they got married. So I thought we could either travel round to every place-‘

He looked unenthusiastic.

‘-or I could bring in my secret weapon.’

‘Your what?’

‘I thought as my family are spread all over Australia- and you know how nosey they are- I could ask them to go to the places and find out for me. For you, I mean.’ She smiled nervously, hoping he would be pleased. ‘Its no effort for them if the libraries are just round the corner.’

‘Wouldn’t they mind?’

‘No. I’ve already emailed them all with lists of the Julie Joneses to look up. They all love the idea.’

‘Oh.’ He didn’t know what to say. ‘What will happen if they find my Julie Jones?’

‘Oh, that bit’s up to you. I don't want to completely take over.’

‘Not completely.’ He gave a hesitant smile. ‘I’m sorry, I’m speechless.’

‘That’s twice in one evening. You aren’t angry, are you?’

‘Angry? No! I’m just flabbergasted. When did you start all this?’

‘I got the idea on my birthday when you came round.’

‘That’s a really kind idea. Thank you.’ He leaned across and kissed her. ‘You are such a kind, thoughtful, wonderful woman. Dan was such a lucky man.’

Tears immediately welled up in her eyes and inwardly he cursed himself for saying that.

‘I haven’t felt like this for so long,’ she wept. ‘I’ve shut off that part of my life cos I still felt like I’m betraying Dan.’

Ceri took her hand, still cursing himself.

‘I’ve been so busy being a mum and earning money, I’ve forgotten about being a woman.’

‘You’ll never be anything but a woman to me.’

‘Maybe I‘m not meant to love again.’ She carried on her train of thought, not registering what he said.

‘People are meant to love and be loved. Especially you. It’d be a waste of your life if you didn’t. You’re so beautiful, so witty, so-‘ he stopped, overcome.

She looked into his blue-green eyes and fell into their depth. He gazed back at her for a moment, and then he kissed her gently, leaning over the empty halva bowl.

Just then, the phone rang. They ignored it, but Miles’s cheery voice came on the answer phone.

‘Sorry to interrupt. Ceri, we’ve forgotten something important about You Know What. When you get back, we need to arrange it.’

Ceri bristled. ‘God! Leave me alone, man! He’s always fussin’.’

‘That was a bit rude,’ chided Leah mildly.

‘Sorry. I just know he upset you and it annoys me.’

She smiled. ‘You know what this means.’

‘What?’ A hint of concern crossed his face.

‘I’ve got a temper. You’ve got a temper. We’ll be arguing before we know it.’

‘Good. We can make up afterwards.’ He grinned. ‘Now. Where were we?’

Leah awoke the next morning and was overcome at once with a wave of happiness. It was like welcoming an old friend.

She thought what a lovely bedroom she had: how comfortable and well decorated. Although maybe it needed brightening up a bit: that could be her next project.

She turned her head happily and saw exactly who she expected to see beside her in bed. Ceri looked peaceful, his handsome face content, his long limbs relaxed and stretched out across the bed.

Leah felt as if all the emotions she had forgotten had come pouring out. She had shut them all away after Dan died, shut them away behind a locked and bolted door in her mind.

She mused on this thought for a while, pleased with the dramatic image. The door had been locked until Ceri had come along and opened it. With his special key. She suppressed a giggle at how rude that sounded. But she couldn’t suppress it well enough and giggles slipped out. She felt like a teenager, not a responsible mother and business woman.

Ceri opened one eye. ‘What you laughin’ at, woman? I can’t sleep with you jiggling about all over the place.’

‘Oh, nothing. Just thinking about household security.’

He looked bemused and she laughed even more.

‘I’m just very, very happy,’ she spluttered.

‘Good.’ He couldn’t help laughing too: her happiness was contagious. He started tickling her and they carried on from where they left off last night.

‘Oh, I do love a shower in the morning,’ said Leah, some time later, wrapping her dressing gown cosily round herself.

‘I love a shower,’ sang Ceri, to the tune of ‘I Love to Love’, ‘and my baby just loves a bath, wants a bath, needs a bath. Hm, that didn’t sound good did it?’

‘How dare you?’ said Leah, pretending to be cross. ‘Are you saying I need a bath?’

‘No, cos you’ve just had a shower, obviously.’ He made a face at her. ‘Got out of that one well, didn’t I?’

‘Hm. Where’s my tea?’

‘Alright! Hang on. Didn’t know you wanted a slave, did I?’

‘Aha, now you know the real me.’

‘Now then. Listen for a minute. What are you doing this Saturday?’

‘Depends. Why?’

‘Don’t be coy. Keep Saturday free, just in case.’ He looked mysterious, and Leah was intrigued.

By Saturday, Leah’s curiosity was running wild. Ceri announced he was coming round to visit in the afternoon, so she wondered and wondered.

Finally it was three o’clock and right on cue, there was a knock at the door.

‘Hello,’ Leah saw Ceri as promised, but Jazz and Kirsty were behind him, carrying bags.

‘What’s all this about?’ she enquired.

‘Are we allowed to tell her now?’ asked Kirsty of Ceri, who nodded. ‘We’ve organised a party for you. A birthday party-‘

‘With a difference!’ interrupted Jazz.

‘Ceri said you enjoyed the salsa dancing at the park so much, that you wanted a salsa party for your birthday, so he got us all involved organising it,’ gabbled Kirsty excitedly.

‘So that’s what we’ve been so secretive about lately. That’s what Tony was doing that time you came round to Miles’s house while we were having a meal.’

Leah was speechless.

‘You’ve shocked her,’ said Ceri. ‘Now. It’s about time you girls got on with your work. I’ve got other things to sort out.’ He hastened out of the door.

Jazz and Kirsty went to their bags and got out their make up, and some dresses.

‘You can’t salsa without the proper clothing,’ said Jazz. She held up a brightly coloured dress in a flouncy, ruffled style.

‘I can’t wear that! It’s far too fussy.’

‘Trust me. Try it on.’

So Leah did, and Jazz was actually right. Although the dress had ruffles, they were in the right places for dancing and just putting it on made Leah want to start dancing now.

‘I’m amazed. How did you know my size?’

‘Aha,’ said Jazz mysteriously.

‘She means: we asked Rachel,’ laughed Kirsty.

Leah’s dress was in pinks and purples; Jazz’s dress was blues and greens; Kirsty’s, reds and oranges.

‘These dresses shouldn’t work but they do,’ marvelled Leah. ‘Is Rachel wearing this sort of thing too?’

‘Yes, of course. She did what she could for the party, but obviously, she’s got her hands full these days,’ said Jazz.

‘What are the boys wearing?’

‘Evening dress. Everyone has hired their clothes.’

‘Everyone?’

‘Oh yes. It’s not a select party. All the bay folk are coming.’

Leah was lost for words again.

‘Come on, we need to get started,’ instructed Kirsty.

‘Right.’ Jazz picked up the make up. ‘Sit back Leah. We’re in charge of your make up today. You don’t have to do a thing.’

‘Not too much! I don’t want to look plastered.’

‘Don’t be silly. We wouldn’t do that.’

Kirsty and Jazz set to work.

Some time later, everyone was ready. It was now early evening and time to go.

‘Are we ready girls?’ asked Jazz.

Kirsty and Leah nodded, keen to start enjoying themselves. So they set off in their finery.

The evening was warm and they ambled along to the Surf Club in a leisurely way.

‘So, was this party Ceri’s idea?’ asked Leah.

‘Yes, we all thought it was great and we’ve loved organising it,’ enthused Kirsty. ‘But it was his to begin with.’

‘So if you’re still wondering if he likes you, I think this is your answer,’ said Jazz.

Leah hid a smile. She already had a very good idea that he liked her, but that was not for public knowledge.

‘Look, there’s Mr Stewart,’ said Kirsty as they neared the surf club. ‘He’s wearing a cummerbund!’

‘Oh, nice,’ said Jazz. ‘Maybe he’s going to do the tango.’

‘Who with? Colleen?’

The girls started giggling.

‘And there’s our host,’ giggled Jazz, seeing Ceri. He was wearing a dark suit with his hair slicked back, and actually looked a bit Latin-esque.

‘Hello!’ Kirsty breezed up to him, and gave him a kiss. He didn’t recognise her for a split second, then realisation dawned in his eyes.

‘Hello ladies. You all look lovely,’ he said courteously, but he was looking at Leah. ‘Come into the party.’

‘Thank you,’ said Jazz graciously. She whispered something in his ear and he nodded, but he never took his eyes off Leah.

‘Come on,’ said Kirsty, pulling Leah into the surf club. Ceri and Jazz followed.

Leah stopped when she saw the scene. All her friends were there, the women in colourful dresses, the men in dinner jackets. A banner inscribed ‘Happy Birthday’ was attached to the wall; food and drink were set out on tables; music was playing. Kirsty and Jazz went immediately to Miles and Tony.

Leah couldn’t speak for a moment. Ceri stopped behind her and put his hands on her shoulders.

‘Does this meet with your approval, madam?’ he asked jokingly, but when she turned to him with tears in her eyes, he realised it was a pointless question.

‘I thought you should have a treat, you deserve it,’ he said quietly. He gave her a hug, and the other guests turned to each other to give them a moment.

‘Its lovely, I can’t believe it. I thought no one was bothered about my birthday,’ she whispered. ‘Except my family,’ she added quickly, remembering their visit.

He smiled knowingly. ‘Turn round.’

She did so, and there were her parents, Chris and Dmitri and…. Alexi? A mixture of emotions went through her mind as she stared at her youngest brother. He was thinner, paler, with shorter hair, but he was there.

‘Darling!’ shouted her mother, but Theo held her back.

‘Alexi?’ said Leah in disbelief. ‘How did you- what are you doing here?’

‘Special leave from the prison.’ He made a small step forward. So did Leah, then they flung their arms around each other.

Theo winked at Ceri, who nodded wisely.

After Leah and Alexi had exchanged news, she had another surprise.

‘Mum!’ VJ and his friend Freddie came galloping in and ran up to her. They were wearing smart cream shirts and trousers and looked like pages at a wedding. Leah gasped. She had thought VJ was staying with Freddie’s family for the weekend- it was hard to keep up with his social life these days, she just went along with what he wanted.

‘Hope you don’t mind that I misled you about the weekend,' said Freddie’s mother, Judy. 'They were so excited about the party, we didn’t want to keep them away. Don’t they look sweet?’

‘Yes- no of course I don’t mind,’ stuttered Leah.

‘I’ll keep an eye on them, don’t worry. Just relax and enjoy your party.’ Judy smiled.

Just then, VJ saw Helen and ran up to her for a cuddle, while Freddie bounced around them. Leah saw Kirsty smiling at her from the other side of the club. Olly was with her, also wearing a cream shirt and trousers like VJ and Freddie, looking even smaller and cuter. Leah smiled back, feeling guilty that she had misjudged Kirsty and the others.

After Judy went off with the boys, Leah’s friends could not wait to talk to her.

‘Hi! You look fantastic,’ said Rachel, who was wearing a similar dress to Leah’s but in browns and creams.

‘Thanks. This is such a surprise,’ Leah couldn’t stop smiling.

‘It seems that Ceri does like you after all. Maybe this is the start of something,’ Rachel smiled too.

Leah nodded, pleased that her friend didn’t realise it had started already.

‘Haven’t you brought your children?’ she asked, to change the subject.

‘No, they were so tired and to be honest we wanted a night off. My friends Erin and Karen are looking after them at home.’

Ceri emerged from the main hall of the surf club, and strode over to join the women, and Hugh appeared with plates of food from the buffet.

‘So, Mr Bond,’ said Ceri, looking at Hugh’s dinner jacket.

‘Do you expect me to talk, Goldfinger?’ replied Hugh, in his best Scottish accent.

‘No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die.’

‘Charming,’ giggled Rachel.

‘Quiet, Moneypenny,’ said Hugh. ‘What’s everyone having to drink?

‘Now, young fella. We ought to get this bash started,’ said Alf, bustling up to them and addressing Ceri.

Ceri and Alf ushered the guests into the pool area in the club, which was now cleared of furniture.

Leah had another surprise. There were Fernando and Maria, from the salsa day in the city.

‘How nice to see you again,’ said Fernando warmly, and Maria smiled and took her hand.

‘Ceri asked us to come and teach your friends salsa,’ she said softly. ‘Happy birthday. I hope you have a nice evening.’

‘Come on everybody!’ called Fernando, making the guests jump. ‘Time to dance!’ He nodded to his younger brother, Jorge, to start the music.

Como puede ser verdad

Last night I dreamt of San Pedro

Just like I'd never gone, I knew the song

A young girl with eyes like the desert

It all seems like yesterday, not far away

There were a few reluctant faces. Although everyone had made the effort to dress up for salsa dancing, some of the men weren’t convinced it was their sort of thing.

Tropical the island breeze

All of nature wild and free

This is where I long to be

La Isla Bonita

And when the samba played

The sun would set so high

Ring through my ears and sting my eyes

Your Spanish lullaby

‘Take your partner by the hand, and hold her close,’ called Fernando, demonstrating with Maria. Suddenly the male guests weren’t so unwilling to dance, as they clasped their glamorous partners to them.

Even Alf found himself a lovely lady to dance with, because Colleen had invited her bowling friends, and a male bowler for herself, Bill.

‘Like this.’ Fernando and Maria stepped out together, to the slow beat of the song.

Gradually, everyone followed and gradually, they started picking it up.

‘Eh, speed it up!’ Fernando nodded again at Jorge.

When marimba rhythm starts to play

Dance with me

Make me sway

When the lazy ocean hugs the shore

Dance with me

Sway some more

Ceri and Leah were used to dancing to this song, so they went for it, showing off for all they were worth, while Fernando and Maria applauded.

‘Our star pupils,’ laughed Fernando.

‘Not fair!’ shouted Tony. ‘They’ve done it before.’

They laughed and it nearly put them off.

‘Oh, come on Tony!’ cried Jazz. ‘Where’s Tony Manero when you need him?’

‘Here!’ said Tony, throwing out his arm dramatically, and Jazz dissolved into giggles.

The dancing and high spirits continued and even unenthusiastic types like Morag got into the swing of it.

‘Let’s buy a place in Acapulco,’ she said to Ross, as she sashayed around him, trying to keep to the beat. ‘I’m sure we could afford it.’

‘Er- what’s in that glass you’re clutching?’ he asked in alarm.

Cuba

Quiero bailar la salsa,

Cuba

Quiero bailar la salsa

You dance to the music like nobody does.

The first time I saw you, I knew it was love.

My heart is on fire, the night is divine,

My only desire is making you mine.

You’re the one that I want,

you’re the one, yes, you are.

You dance to the music like nobody does.

The first time I saw you, I knew it was love.

You’re the one

That I want,

You’re the one,

Yes, you are

Everyone was flushed and overexcited, chattering breathlessly and carried away with the fun of the dancing. All the men’s jackets were draped over chairs everywhere and women not dancing fanned themselves with napkins.

There was lots of partner swapping and everyone well and truly mingled with each other: Aden danced with Morag, Alf with Charlie, Roman with Kirsty, Geoff with Colleen, Ross with Belle, Tony with Annie, Jai with Rachel, Miles with Irene. Everyone wanted to dance with Leah so Ceri hardly had a chance.

At last everyone had to take a break.

‘This is such fun!’ exclaimed Rachel, flopping down on a chair and gulping down a glass of water.

‘Yes, I had my reservations about it,’ said Colleen, ‘but now I find it quite entertaining.’

‘Irene seems to be enjoying herself,’ said Belle, sipping a cocktail.

‘Yes.’ Colleen looked disapproving. ‘Making quite a show of herself.’

‘Oh, Colleen,’ said Rachel. ‘She’s only having fun.’

Irene was dancing with Luke Warren, the new head of Summer Bay High school.

‘She makes a habit of dating headmasters,’ said Colleen. ‘Remember that Paris Burnett? Then Barry Hyde. Donald Fisher was lucky not to be snared too.’

Rachel and Belle rolled their eyes at each other.

‘When’s the dancing going to start again?’ asked Geoff.

‘Easy tiger,’ said Belle. ‘It’s only just stopped.’

‘I thought maybe they’d teach us the tango.’

‘Quite the dancer now, aren’t you?’ teased Belle.

‘Yes, I think he must have been one in a former life,’ agreed Nicole.

‘Come on everyone!’ called Fernando. ‘Let’s carry on.’

Everyone obediently went back into the hall.

‘Jorge! Music please!’ Fernando clapped his hands. ‘Oh. Where is that boy?’

Maria thought he’d probably be outside smoking so she went to look. She saw a familiar figure with his back to her and went to tap him on the shoulder. He jumped, then she saw he was kissing someone.

‘Er- hi,’ said the girl, a pretty dark haired teenager.

Jorge glared at Maria. ‘Can’t you leave me alone? Ruby and I will be back in a minute. Tell Nando to sort out his own music.’

Maria tactfully withdrew, and sorted it out with her husband.

Everyone started dancing again.

And she bangs, she bangs

Oh baby

When she moves, she moves

I go crazy

'Cause she looks like a flower but she stings

like a bee

Like every girl in history

She bangs, she bangs

I'm wasted by the way she moves

No one ever looked so fine

She reminds me that a woman only got one thing on her mind

Suddenly, Leah’s phoned beeped and she had to stop dancing to read the text. She led Ceri outside where it was quieter.

‘Look!’ she said to him. ‘My cousin says to check my email. She thinks she’s found Julie Jones! Lets look now!

He considered this for a moment. ‘I dunno. It might be a false alarm and I don’t want to spoil tonight. Shall we look tomorrow?’

‘Okay. We’ll do that. Tell me something?’

‘What?’

‘Did Miles and Kirsty realise you’d spent the night with me the other night?’

‘Definitely not.’

‘How can you be so sure?’

‘Because I climbed in my bedroom window the next morning. Everyone’d gone to work or school by then, so they didn’t have a clue. Don’t worry, I’ll protect your honour.’ He grinned. ‘Funny, I think a lot of people have climbed in that window in the past, it was very easy.’

‘Another thing I wanted to ask you. How and when did you get my family to keep this party a secret?’

‘Well, I spoke to them when I came round on your birthday. They thought it was a brilliant idea, especially as they were trying to find out if I was suitable for their darling daughter.’ He chuckled.

‘They do tend to push me into relationships, especially with eligible doctors.’

He paused. ‘It wouldn’t be so awful, would it? Being in a relationship with me?’

‘Of course it wouldn’t!’

‘Come on, let’s go back to the party,’ he said. ‘I think we might be missed.'

When they re-entered the surf club, everyone was waiting.

‘Come on now, no pashing outside. You’re holding everybody up,’ said Alf bossily.

Ceri grinned, Leah turned to him in confusion.

‘Listen up folks!’ Alf tapped on the table. ‘I’ve got a few things I want to say.’

Aden rolled his eyes at Belle. ‘We’ll be here a while then.’

‘Quiet, you people. I’d just like to say on behalf of everyone what a top evening we’ve all had. The organisers of the evening- Miles, Kirsty, Jazz and Tony, but most of all, Ceri- have done us proud. Cheers to them.’

‘Cheers!’ said everyone, taking a sip of their drinks. VJ ran up to Leah and flung his arms round her waist.

‘And secondly,’ continued Alf. ‘I’d like to wish Leah a very happy birthday. A pillar of the community, Leah has always been there with advice and help, a good meal and good company. Let’s raise our glasses to toast one of the most constant members of Summer Bay, Leah. Hip hip!’

‘Hooray!’ shouted everyone, taking a gulp of their drinks.

Leah cuddled her precious son to her and felt a lump in her throat as she looked round at her friends, old and new, and saw how much they loved her. As well as that, Ceri was right behind her and she knew at last she had someone to depend on. She hadn’t been happier for many years, and it was a wonderful feeling.

THE END

Comments

Archived