Relative Confusion

Guest Miranda

They took the pedalo back, and strolled through the park. A small building was ahead, sporting a brightly coloured sign saying ‘Café Italiano’, so they went to look at the menu.

‘Home made pizzas!’ squeaked Leah.

When the moon hits your eye

Like a big pizza pie

That’s amore

When the world seems to shine

Like you’ve had too much wine

That’s amore

Sang Dean Martin in the background.

An elderly man appeared at the counter.

‘Good-a morning,’ he said with a strong Italian accent. ‘I am Luigi. What-a would you like to eat-a?’

‘I’ll have a chicken pizza, salad and an orange juice,’ said Leah.

‘Er- I’ll have a large still water and the four seasons pizza,’ said Ceri.

There were chairs and tables in the shade outside the café, but no one else was eating there apart from Ceri and Leah.

‘This is yummy,’ exclaimed Leah. ‘I wonder if he’ll give me the recipe.’

‘Bet he won’t.’

‘This place is so lovely, isn’t it?’

The sun shone down on the sparkling lake, the sun bleached grass and the trees, which were whispering in the breeze. People were stopping for lunch, picnicking on the grass in the shade and relaxing.

Come fly with me

Let’s fly, let’s fly away

If you can use some exotic booze

There's a bar in far Bombay

Come on and fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

This time it was Frank Sinatra singing.

‘Luigi likes these old crooners,’ remarked Ceri, tucking into his pizza.

Leah nodded absently. She felt serene and contented, which were unfamiliar feelings these days.

Once I get you up there

Where the air is rarefied

We shall glide

Starry eyed

Once I get you up there

I’ll be holding you so near

We shall hear

The angels cheer

Just because we’re together

They sat there comfortably, not needing to talk. The pizzas were delicious, totally different to ready made ones from supermarkets.

Weather-wise it's such a lovely day

Just say the words and we'll beat the birds

Down to Acapulco Bay

It's perfect for a flying honeymoon, they say

Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

‘I bet it’s nice for you not having to cook and wait on everyone,’ said Ceri.

‘Mm,’ she nodded. ‘I keep expecting someone to tell me off for not working.’

After a while, she went to pay.

‘Thank you,’ said Luigi. ‘Are you here on a holiday?’

‘No, just visiting the city.’

‘Tell me, do you like-a dancing, signorina?’

‘Yes, I suppose so.’

‘There is a dance happening in the main part of the park. Take-a your young man and have some fun on such a lovely day-a.’

‘Thank you, we will. Thanks for the lovely pizzas, they were wonderful.’

She and Ceri sauntered off.

‘D’you fancy a bit of music?’ she asked. ‘Luigi said there’s dancing in the park somewhere.’

‘Depends what sort of dancing. We could have a look though, couldn’t we?’

‘I’m glad you’re not the sort of man who says “I don’t dance” and won’t even think about it.’

‘I don’t know why some people get so worried about making a fool of themselves dancing- it’s only a bit of fun,’ he shrugged.

Just then, they heard some lively music and followed it to a large clear area where a stage and speakers were set up. There were posters everywhere saying ‘Salsa on a Summer’s Day’, and a large group of people were wiggling about practising salsa steps, laughing and joking.

Upside inside out

Living' La Vida Local

She'll push and pull you down

Living' La Vida Loca

Her lips are devil red

And her skin the colour of mocha

She will wear you out

Living' La Vida Loca

Come On

Living' La Vida Loca

Come On

Living' La Vida Loca

She'll make you take your

clothes off and go dancing in the rain

She'll make you live her crazy life

until you go insane

No, you'll never be the same

‘Come on,’ Leah grabbed Ceri’s hands and led him closer to the group. ‘Let’s copy them.’ They tried their best to imitate the salsa moves, and got in a real tangle, giggling hysterically.

A couple dancing nearby broke apart and approached Ceri and Leah.

‘Would you like help?’ asked the man, smiling. ‘I’m Fernando and this is my wife Maria. We organise this dance.’

‘Oh, yes please,’ smiled Leah. Fernando took her hands and Maria held out her hands graciously to Ceri.

When marimba rhythm starts to play

Dance with me

Make me sway

When the lazy ocean hugs the shore

Dance with me

Sway some more

The salsa was fairly easy to learn, and Leah was good at dancing, so she picked it up quickly with the help of Fernando. Ceri was finding it a bit more difficult, despite Maria’s guidance. But after a while, he got the hang of it, so Maria gently pressed his hands into Leah’s.

‘Well done,’ said Fernando to both of them. ‘Enjoy the rest of your afternoon.’ The couple went off to assist other dancers.

For the rest of the afternoon, Leah and Ceri danced to a diverse range of songs from various eras, obviously chosen for their salsa beat. They even changed partners occasionally and danced with other people.

‘I might have a salsa party for my birthday,’ said Leah when they were having a rest and taking advantage of the free flavoured water.

‘When’s that?’ Ceri’s hair was slicked down with sweat and the water he’d just poured over himself, which had run down his t-shirt.

‘In two weeks,’ said Leah, trying not to notice the clinging t-shirt. ‘What d’you think?’

‘Yes, it’s an idea. Would you get Tony Manero to be in charge of the music again?’

‘I might do. God! Look at the time! We’d better go!’

They hastened off towards the park gate.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

‘I’ve had the best time today,’ said Ceri as they hurried along the road. ‘Thanks for coming with me.’

‘Don’t keep thanking me! It was a pleasure.’

‘I’ll tell you something. I knew I had to go to the library to look up my mum’s name but I just kept putting it off. If you hadn’t got me organised, I’d never have done it.’ He shot a guilty look at her.

‘Oh. Well, it’s alright. It’s a big step to take on your own.’ She didn’t really know what to say: she thought she had been such a big help, but actually he could have done it all by himself.

The road was now clear. But as they approached their car, the red stickers on the windscreen showed that it had been clamped. The information ticket on it said it was for ‘illegal parking’.

‘Oh no!’ shouted Leah. ‘I need to get home to VJ!’ She was tired- it had been a long day and she was worried. ‘I could really do without this!’

Ceri remained silent, staring at his feet while Leah phoned the number on the ticket.

‘That’s seventy dollars,’ she said at last.

‘I’ll pay half of it,’ said Ceri. ‘I know you paid the search fee at the city library and it's my fault you’re here, so it's the least I can do.’

‘Well… thanks. I must phone Stella and ask if she can keep VJ for tea.’

When the clampers arrived two hours later, they were triumphant.

‘Bloody silly place to park, love,’ said the older one, who had a mop of long straggly blond hair. He pointed to a sign on a lamp post which said ‘No parking on the pavement. Fine $70.”

‘You need to keep an eye on your car, not your boyfriend.’

‘He’s not my boyfriend!’

‘Let me guess, you were at Logan Park pashing instead of moving your car,’ said the younger clamper, a seedy looking youth with a shaved head who was smoking a roll up.

‘Pashing? I’m far too old for pashing!’ Leah almost laughed but was too angry.

‘Oh, I dunno. You’re not too old for me,’ he leered.

‘Have you got the clamp off now?’ asked Ceri.

‘Y’what mate? Can’t understand a word you’re saying,’ laughed the youth. ‘Bloody foreigners.’

Ceri advanced on him, and he didn’t look so brave.

‘Looks to me like you’ve finished,’ he said threateningly.

‘Right mate,’ said the older one, stepping in. ‘You sign here, then pay the bill within forty eight hours.’

Ceri ushered Leah forwards, standing protectively over her and eyeing the young clamper, as she signed the form.

‘Didn’t she put out, mate?’ jeered the youth. ‘Is that what’s bugging you?’ His colleague steered him away, but at the last minute he pushed at Ceri, who pushed him back, so violently that he fell over.

The older clamper stepped up, but Leah shouted ‘get in the car!’ Ceri obeyed, and she drove off, bouncing off the kerb in haste. In her mirror she could see the older clamper telling the younger one off.

‘How old are you?’ she demanded. ‘Couldn’t you just ignore them? We’ll probably get another fine thanks to you!’

‘Look where you’re going!’ He grabbed the wheel and corrected it just before the car veered into oncoming traffic.

‘Don’t change the subject!’ she shouted. ‘Why didn’t you notice the sign when I parked?’

‘Why didn’t you? I had other things on my mind.’

‘I know that! But-’

‘I think we’re both to blame, to be honest.’

‘Hm. Well it’s done now, I guess.’

The rest of the journey continued almost in silence. Leah was annoyed with herself for overreacting, but she was mainly annoyed that such a lovely day had ended with something irritating.

They finally reached Summer Bay and she drove him directly to the caravan park.

He got out and leant down into the window. ‘Thanks for the lift Leah. I’ll pay half of the fine, as I said. We had a good day apart from that didn’t we?’

‘Hello! Did you have a nice time?’ Jazz sashayed up, looking cool and unflustered. Leah was uncomfortably aware of how hot, scruffy and irritable she was in comparison.

‘Hello Leah,’ she smiled.

‘You’re very late back,’ said Kirsty, joining them. ‘We thought you were staying out all night.’

‘Ooh, naughty,’ laughed Jazz, putting her arm through Ceri’s. ‘Would you like to come in for a cold drink Leah? You look a bit flustered.’

Leah had had enough for today.

‘No thanks, I’ve got to get VJ.’ She shoved the car into reverse and it whined in protest as she accelerated. She could see Jazz arm in arm with Ceri, while Miles and Kirsty hovered round him.

After the lovely day she had shared with Ceri, it was now all over and back to normal life. He was back with his group of friends, and she was rushing back to her life as mother and worker. It wasn’t fair. Ceri seemed to just laze around, women fussed over him and he charmed them. Maybe he was just using me to find out about his mother, she thought, especially as he had known about finding the electoral rolls at the library all along. Now he’ll just forget about me. Of course, that was it! She wouldn’t be needed anymore. He would rely on his best friends from now on.

The next morning, Leah felt better. But she couldn’t shake the feeling that she had been used yesterday.

She was just wiping the kitchen surfaces and munching on some toast while the kettle boiled, when there was a knock at the back door.

‘Yes?’ she called suspiciously. It was only six thirty.

‘It’s me. Ceri.’

‘What do you want?’

‘I’ve got something for you. Let me in?’

She opened the door, confused.

‘Here’s the money for the fine yesterday.’ He handed her an envelope.

‘But it’s the whole seventy dollars! We agreed on half!’

‘Yeah, but you had to pay for the petrol and I know you paid for the search at the library.’

‘But-‘

‘No buts! Take it.’ He pressed the money into her hand and closed her fingers over it.

‘Alright then,’ she said brusquely. ‘Why are you here so early anyway?’

‘I couldn’t wait to give you the money,’ he laughed, so she wasn’t sure if he was serious or not.

‘Well I have to get VJ ready for school, so I’m afraid I can’t be very sociable.’ She got on with making breakfast. ‘Talking of which, I must get him out of bed.’

‘You do that, I’ll make the breakfast.’

She didn’t really want him to, but didn’t have time to argue.

When she got back after sending VJ to the bathroom, Ceri had made six slices of toast, got the butter, vegemite, jam and every other type of spread, out of the cupboard; set the table; made a pot of tea; got the orange juice out of the fridge, and plates from the draining board.

‘Thanks!’

VJ came in.

‘Hello Ceri,’ he said in surprise. ‘Is that strawberry jam?’ He rushed over and started spreading it on his toast.

‘I’m just going to have a shower.’ Leah hoped they wouldn’t make too much mess in the kitchen and cause more work for her.

She came back from her shower refreshed and relaxed. Ceri was washing up and VJ was still eating.

‘Everything alright?’ she asked, smoothing down her hair.

‘Yeah, fine. Listen, I’d better go. Me and the others are going to the beach soon.’

Leah felt discouraged. So he had only come over to get the parking fine situation out of the way before going to have fun with his friends. Not because he wanted to see her. She was reminded how different his life was to hers: uncommitted, no responsibilities. He could go off travelling at a moment’s notice, so she shouldn’t get too attached to him.

‘Hadn’t you better go now then?’

‘We’re not going yet! It’s too early.’

‘Well, you’ll have to go soon, cos me and VJ are going to school.’

‘Okay. Bye then. See you later?’

‘I s’pose.’

He trudged out.

Later that day, Leah couldn’t resist looking up ‘Julie Jones’ on the internet. Hundreds of entries were found, but she had kept a copy of her address and put ‘Julie Jones +’ and the address. Some interesting entries came up and she made a careful note of them.

Despite her vow not to get involved with Ceri’s search again, she had become too involved to let go now. What if he found Julie Jones and was reunited with her? A fairytale ending was not likely, but at least he would know who she was.

She deliberated whether to tell him what she was doing now, or save it up and present him with the details when she had researched it all. But she decided he would want to do it himself, so she should tell him before she got too deeply into the search.

One evening later in the week, VJ was staying over with a friend, so Leah took the opportunity to go to Miles’ house to tell Ceri what she’d found out.

When she arrived at the caravan park, the house was lit up, and she could hear laughing, animated voices and the clinking of cutlery and glasses. Looking through the screen door, she saw Miles, Kirsty, Ceri and Jazz sitting round the table, enjoying a meal.

‘Leah!’ said Ceri, and everyone else looked round, furtively.

‘Come in. Would you like some food?’ asked Miles.

Leah considered. It was obviously a cosy foursome, so she said:

‘No, I won’t thanks. I was just dropping by.’

She didn’t notice the fifth place setting next to Jazz.

There was a pause in the conversation.

‘So, what brings you here?’ asked Jazz.

‘I wanted to speak to Ceri. I didn’t realise you were having a meal together.’

‘Oh, don’t worry about interrupting. We know you can’t resist sticking your nose in,’ Jazz, smiling coldly.

‘Jazz! Don’t be so mean!’ said Kirsty.

‘What? I’m only joking.’

‘Why don’t you shut up then?’ asked Ceri in an undertone.

‘What d’you mean, “can’t resist sticking my nose in”?’ snapped Leah.

‘Well, you nearly-‘

‘Be quiet,’ said Ceri. ‘Leah, you wanted to speak to me?’

‘Yes, but I don’t want to interrupt. I can see you later.’ She smiled, so as not to give Jazz the satisfaction of knowing she was upset.

‘Are you sure you won’t stay?’ said Miles.

Leah glanced round again. Miles and Kirsty looked welcoming, Ceri, uncertain and Jazz, downright annoyed.

‘I won’t thanks. See you all later.’

Well, that was pointless, she thought as she walked home. Maybe Jazz is right and I shouldn’t be a sticky beak.

‘Leah!’ Someone was crashing along behind her, and she turned, in fright.

‘What did you want to speak to me about?’ Ceri asked.

‘Oh, nothing, don’t worry about it,’ she said haughtily. ‘You were obviously busy with your friends, I didn’t want to intrude-‘

‘Leah!’ He grabbed her by the arm. ‘For God’s sake, stop walking! You weren’t intruding! They’re your friends as well!’

‘You’ve just been using me in your search for your mother! Why don’t you get Jazz to help you?’ She knew she was being silly, but couldn’t stop herself. ‘Why don’t you just-‘

‘Leah!’ He took her by both arms, turned her towards him and kissed her firmly, holding her so she couldn’t wriggle free.

She did wriggle at first but then her senses overpowered her. The taste of him, the smell of him, the feel of him against her was too much and she kissed him back with passion.

After a little while, they stopped kissing and clung on to each other for a moment. She gazed up at him, and there was fire in his eyes. But she wasn’t giving in: she wasn’t going to let a kiss fool her.

‘How dare you?’ she shouted, and slapped his face. ‘You might think you can seduce every woman in Summer Bay, but you can’t seduce me.’ And she stormed off, her heart thumping.

She didn’t look back, so she didn’t see his hurt expression.

Leah stamped home, fired by adrenaline. How dare he think he could kiss her while he was with Jazz? She didn’t like men who had more than one girlfriend at a time. Anyway, she was very tired and a sleep would do her good, so she got ready for bed in record time.

But she couldn’t sleep. She couldn’t forget that kiss and how it made her feel. She kept falling into dozes, where she dreamt of Dan, then he turned into Ceri and she woke with a start. She got more and more annoyed, and ended up switching on the light and doing some ironing. Typical! Just when VJ was away and she didn’t have to worry about him waking up in the night, Ceri had to upset her and prevent her sleeping.

Eventually she fell asleep, but it was only two hours before her alarm, so it didn’t refresh her much.

At the diner that morning, she was very quiet.

‘You alright darl?’ Irene touched her arm in concern.

‘Oh, I didn’t sleep well, I’m just tired.’ She chopped aggressively at a tomato.

‘You poor thing. Take it easy.’

Time dragged. Leah went out into the diner and saw Kirsty sitting in a huddle with Jazz. She had to clear a table nearby and couldn’t help overhearing their conversation.

‘So its all on with him now is it?’ asked Kirsty.

‘Yeah, at last. I’m really happy.’ Jazz looked dreamy eyed.

‘Aw. I’m so glad. You two are so good together.’

‘I really never thought I’d find love with someone his age. He just makes me feel young and silly again. In a good way, I mean.’ She laughed girlishly.

Leah felt like she’d had cold water thrown over her. So it was true- Ceri and Jazz were now together and he’d just been using her. She wiped the table viciously and strode back into the kitchen.

‘Are you alright?’ asked Roman.

‘Fine,’ she snapped. ‘Sorry. I’m just tired.’

‘That’s okay. Why don’t you take the afternoon off?’

Just then, someone knocked on the open door and put his head round it. It was Ceri. Can’t he leave me alone? Leah thought desperately.

‘Yes?’ Roman stepped forward.

‘I just wanted to see Leah. See if she’s alright.’

‘Why? What have you done to her?’ Roman was only half joking.

‘Nothin’! She was just upset last night, and-‘

‘She’s busy now. Talk to her later.’ He shepherded Ceri out of the kitchen, then returned.

‘If you want to talk about anything, I’m always here you know,’ he said to Leah.

‘Thanks… but no, I’ll manage. I feel a bit guilty actually.’

‘Guilty?’

‘Yes. I slapped him yesterday.’

Irene came bustling in with empty plates. ‘Slapped who?’ she asked.

‘Ceri.’

‘Why on earth-‘

‘He kissed me.’

‘So, he kissed you and you slapped him?’ Irene and Roman exchanged glances.

‘I don’t think I’d slap him if he kissed me!’ she said.

‘I probably wouldn’t either,’ said Roman, then couldn’t keep a straight face and chuckled. ‘But you don’t mean he forced himself on you, do you? If he did, I’ll go and-’

‘No, no, nothing likes that!’ Leah hastened to explain. ‘I just-‘

‘I think you need a holiday, love,’ said Irene. ‘You are overworked and stressed.’

‘No, I-‘

‘No arguments,’ said Roman. ‘Take the afternoon off and come back tomorrow.’

‘But-‘

‘Go. Quickly, before Irene and I change our minds.’ He ushered her out of the kitchen.

Well, that’s that, thought Leah as she meandered back home. Jazz and Ceri are together, I’m alone. What shall I do this afternoon? She suddenly had a pleasant thought, and set off for Rachel’s house.

‘Leah!’ Rachel embraced her friend, while Jamie clung round his mother’s legs. ‘Oh it feels like ages since I saw you. Come in.’

Rachel’s house was in a complete mess. There were piles of clothes- clean and dirty, adults and children’s- nappies, bottles, toys, dirty plates and cups everywhere.

‘Sorry about the state of the house. There’s just always something better than cleaning to do,’ said Rachel, unrepentantly. She picked up Anna, who was cooing sweetly.

‘I can help you clear up,’ offered Leah. That would distract her from things as well as helping Rachel.

‘Oh, would you? Oh thank you so much!’

So Rachel attended to her children, while Leah tidied, washed up, cleaned everything she could, made cups of tea, and they had a nice long chat.

‘So, are you not working this afternoon?’ asked Rachel.

Leah gave her a look, then poured out all that had happened lately. Rachel made sympathetic noises at intervals until Leah finished.

‘Gosh. That’s a lot for you to deal with.’ She offered Anna to her friend, who accepted and sat cuddling her.

‘Is it though? Isn’t it just me being silly? I do exaggerate you know.’

‘Do you?’ Rachel smiled affectionately. ‘But you already had some past issues to deal with before Ceri came along: you were widowed so suddenly; then you were attracted to Miles and that didn’t work out; you’ve been looking after VJ on your own for a while now. It’s only natural that anything extra would upset you.’

‘Yes. I suppose I have had a lot on my plate lately.’ Leah mused.

‘You should try to relax this afternoon while VJ’s at school. Do something just for you.’

Leah tried to remember the last time she’d done something just for her. Even the day out in the city with Ceri had been for his benefit.

‘Anyway, I shouldn’t get involved with someone else so soon after Dan, should I? It would upset VJ and cause problems. So it’s a good thing Ceri’s got together with Jazz really.’

‘Its up to you, remember. Nothing’s right or wrong: it’s just whether it’s right for you.’

Leah’s surprise was cut short.

‘Daddy!’ yelled Jamie, running to the door.

‘Hello,’ said Hugh, opening the door cautiously. ‘Its very clean in here. I mean- er- not that its normally clean, but its just- I think I’d better go and get changed.’ He tiptoed out as his wife glared at him.

‘He should try being at home with them all day,’ she said. ‘Its not easy.’

‘Men,’ agreed Leah. ‘Can’t live with ‘em-‘

‘- can’t live without ‘em.’ The two women laughed in agreement.

‘I’m back,’ said Hugh, appearing from the bedroom with Jamie hanging onto his leg. ‘I never came in the front door, that was someone else. How are you Leah?’ He kissed Rachel and picked up Edward.

‘Oh, its time for their feed again.’ Rachel jumped up, retrieved Anna from Leah. ‘Can you bring Edward?’ she asked Hugh. ‘Jamie’s going to have some of that stew from the fridge for tea. Could you give it to him while I feed the babies?’ She headed off to the bedroom.

‘Yes. Another cup of tea, Leah?’ asked Hugh.

‘Oh, no, I won’t thanks. I’d better go and get VJ. Can you say thanks to Rachel? She’s been counselling me.’ She smiled at Hugh, who was always a calming presence.

‘As long as you’re alright. See you soon I hope,’ he said.

On the way home, Leah wondered whether Ceri had said anything to Hugh about her. They were good friends, but she was unsure if men even talked about things like relationships. They probably didn’t.

Well, she had enjoyed the afternoon. She wasn’t sure if she and Rachel were moving apart because they were at different places in their lives. Rachel was happily settled with an expanding family, whereas she was a single mum, unlikely to have more children. She sighed. She would keep going, keep struggling on. As usual.

Leah fetched VJ from school, made their tea, put a wash on and did the usual things she did every evening on auto pilot. While tidying the sitting room, she picked up her wedding photo. The smiling faces of Dan and herself; her loving friends celebrating; her happy and uncomplicated life in those days.

Why did that have to end? Dan had died saving a student, but it was so unfair. Tears stung her eyes. They had been completely happy, despite Amanda and her scheming, Jazz and her deception of Drew. She dusted vigorously, telling herself not to be so pathetic.

She was glad to be friends with Rachel, but visiting her had brought it home to her how Rachel had everything that she used to have. Maybe it was Fated that both of them couldn’t be happy at the same time.

‘Mummy?’ VJ appeared. ‘Are you alright?’

‘Yes, just thinking. And cleaning.’ She gave him a bright smile.

Just then the phone rang.

‘Hello darling!’ It was her mother. ‘Your poppa and I are coming over on your birthday.’

Leah had almost forgotten it was her birthday the day after tomorrow.

‘Chris and Dmitri are coming too. We want to bring you your presents.’

‘Oh, good. What time?’

‘Mid morning. It’ll be so nice, we don’t see you very often these days, or VJ. I know you’re busy, but…’ her mother rambled on in her usual way, while Leah said ‘oh,’ ‘mm’ and other non committal things at intervals.

She rushed round for the next twenty four hours tidying things up for her family, and shopping for supplies. Her mother was always worrying that she wasn’t coping with everything, and Leah wanted to prove her wrong. Helen Poulos thought that wives should not work outside the home and husbands should be the breadwinner.

The next morning, there was a knock at the kitchen door.

‘Hello, darling!’ Leah’s mother trilled as she floated in the door, followed by her husband and two of her sons. She kissed Leah effusively. ‘How are you?’

Before Leah could answer, her father came to kiss her too.

‘My favourite daughter!’ he exclaimed, not mentioning that he only had one. ‘You look tired. Chris! Make the tea.’

‘Yes Poppa,’ Chris exchanged glances with Leah.

‘And VJ, how you’ve grown!’ said Helen, hugging her grandson. VJ grinned. His mum’s family were always so kind and generous to him.

Everyone sat down at the kitchen table and started talking.

‘So Leah, how is your business going?’ asked Dmitri. ‘It was a pity the den folded, but it was a financial risk.’

‘Its not her fault,’ said Chris. ‘She couldn’t conjure up kids from nowhere.’

‘No, I suppose not. Is the diner going well?’ Dmitri was a true businessman and loved to talk about finances and ventures.

‘Oh, give it a rest son,’ said Theo. ‘We’re here for her birthday.’

‘There’s something we wanted to ask you,’ said her mother.

‘What?’

‘Well… We thought you might want to come with us to see Alexi. We’re all going this afternoon.’

‘You don’t have to if you don’t want to,’ said her father.

‘I’m sure she will,’ disagreed her mother. ‘He is her own brother.’

‘But he hid drugs in her suitcase, Helen,’ said Theo. ‘She could have ended up in prison for something he’d done, and our grandson would have had no parents.’

They started arguing, and Leah went into the sitting room for a break. Chris followed her.

‘Don’t let them get to you, you know what they’re like,’ he said, ‘and you don’t have to come and visit Alexi, we understand.’

She smiled at him: although Alexi had always been her favourite brother, Chris had taken his place since Alexi’s betrayal. He was quieter than the rest of the Poulos family and easy to talk to.

‘Leah! you’ve got a visitor!’ called Dmitri.

Leah hurried back into the kitchen, pleased by the distraction.

‘Who’s this?’ asked her father.

Ceri stood in the doorway.

‘Oh- oh hello. Come in.’ She could hardly send him away.

‘I’ve been sent from the caravan park house. These are from Miles, Kirsty and me.’ He produced a big bunch of flowers from behind his back. ‘Happy Birthday.’

Leah was taken aback.

‘Oh, they’re lovely. Do come in,’ her mother filled in the silence. ‘Hurry up Leah, get him a drink.’

Leah poured out a cup of tea without thinking.

‘Its cold now, love. Make a fresh pot.’ Helen bustled round, so Leah left her to it.

‘No, no I’m fine. I just popped in,’ protested Ceri. His eyes never left Leah, although she tried to avoid looking at him.

‘Rubbish,’ said Theo. ‘Sit down. Move up Chris.’

Ceri didn’t have much choice, so he sat down.

‘So, what job do you do?’ asked Theo.

‘I’m a doctor.’

‘A doctor? Where do you work?’

‘Poppa! Don’t interrogate him,’ protested Leah.

Theo took no notice.

‘I’m taking a break at the moment.’

‘Oh? Why’s that?’

‘Personal reasons.’

Ceri and Theo eyed each other, Theo waiting expectantly for Ceri to elaborate. But Ceri wasn’t going to give in, and just smiled.

Eventually Theo smiled back.

‘A doctor?’ Helen jumped in. ‘Do you like the job?’

‘Yes, but-‘

‘I expect you earn a good salary,’ said Dmitri.

‘Yes, its-‘ Ceri named a figure.

Leah felt as if she was being tortured. Her family were always like this, but why did they have to pick on Ceri? Of all people.

‘Oh Leah! Get those flowers in water,’ scolded her mother. ‘I can see them drooping by the second.’

‘I’ll do it, mamma.’ Chris leapt forward and Leah joined him at the sink.

‘Who is this guy?’ he whispered.

‘Oh, he’s just a friend- he’s just- he’s only a friend.’

Chris gave her a sideways look. ‘Just a friend is he? Why are you going red as a tomato then?’

‘Shut up.’

‘Well if he is willing to put up with the Poulos interrogation, he must be more than a friend.’

‘Shall we go in to the sitting room?’ suggested Helen. ‘Its too crowded in here.’ She ushered everyone out, but soon returned.

‘Chris, go and sit with your father and brother.’

Chris rolled his eyes at Leah. ‘Uh-oh, you’re in for an ear bashing.’

‘Cheeky! Go!’ said Helen. ‘Now, darling, this Ceri seems nice. He’s a Doctor.’ She made an approving face and patted her daughter’s arm.

‘Mamma! He’s just a friend.’

‘A friend eh? Why’s he come round with flowers on your birthday then?’

‘He told you! They aren’t from him, they are from a group of my friends.’

‘Hm… well you keep an eye on him: doctors are snapped up quicker than you can say “Hippocrates”.’

‘Let’s go into the sitting room.’ Leah wanted to escape an analysis of her love life.

However, it was worse in the sitting room. Theo was discussing football with Ceri and Chris; Dmitri was reading a financial paper and quoting from it.

Leah and Helen exchanged knowing glances and began talking about VJ’s progress at school and how she would like to celebrate her birthday. Leah was continually aware of Ceri’s eyes on her, however, and it gave her a little quiver inside.

Lunchtime arrived, and Leah was glad she had been food shopping. She started making sandwiches by herself in the kitchen, not wanting a fuss, and Chris joined her.

‘Let me help.’ He buttered bread for a while, then said:

‘That Ceri guy seems nice. He’s got Poppa and Dmitri’s approval. And mamma thinks the sun shines out of his arse because he’s a doctor.’

‘And what about you?’

‘Oh, I like him too. But you’re still my sis, and I don’t want you being hurt.’

‘Well, Ceri’s not going to hurt me: he’s with someone else anyway.’

‘Is he?’ Chris was shocked. ‘He can’t take his eyes off you.’

Leah was prevented from retorting by the man himself coming into the kitchen.

‘Need any help in here?’

‘No!’ said Leah.

‘Yes!’ said Chris at the same time. ‘I must go and-‘ he hurried out before finishing his sentence.

‘Alright?’ asked Ceri. ‘What can I do?’

‘I’m sorry about my family. They always cross-examine people they don’t know. Sorry if it annoys you.’

‘Not at all. I’ve always liked having spotlights trained on me and thumbscrews put on.’

She laughed. ‘Just make something up if you don’t want to answer them.’

‘It’s alright. Its ages since I’ve been in such a warm family group. Do they live nearby?’

‘No, Mamma and Poppa live-‘ Leah went on to explain how the Poulos family had various branches all over Australia.

‘Oh,’ he said. ‘must be nice, that. Havin’ a big family like that.’

Suddenly, Leah was struck by a brilliant idea, but before she could speak, he got in first.

‘Anyway, the other reason I came round was to find out what you were coming to tell me the other day.’

‘What?’

‘That day that you came round to Miles’s place.’

‘Oh! Yes! Then. Er- well, it was to tell you what I’d found out about Julie Jones.’ She explained about her internet investigations, trying not to think about The Kiss.

‘Wow. Thanks for doing that.’

‘How’s Jazz, by the way?’

‘Oh. Very happy as far as I know.’

‘That’s nice.’ Leah had accepted he was with Jazz now.

She carried on making lunch for the family with Ceri, all the while thinking about her brilliant idea. She would need Chris’s help with it though- she must ask him.

Leah’s brilliant idea was simple, so she cornered Chris as soon as possible to tell him what she needed.

‘I s’pose it’ll work,’ he said reasonably. He was used to her projects and their variable success rate.

‘Tell me though. Why are you doing all this for this guy?’

‘Its interesting, I like to find out about people’s lives. You’ve always said I’m nosey. And he hasn’t got a proper family, and I’m so lucky to have one. I suppose I feel sorry for him.’

Chris looked at her disbelievingly.

‘It seems like a lot of trouble to go to for someone you don’t love.’

‘Don’t be silly! He’s with someone else. it’s just something I want to do.’

‘Mark my words, sis, he’s not with someone else. He likes you, and I mean Likes You.’

She shrugged, pushing that thought aside. Whatever Chris said, she had no illusions about Ceri, it was just a project.

At the diner the next day, Roman and Irene presented her with birthday gifts. Roman had bought her a pair of deluxe oven gloves and Irene, a sophisticated egg timer.

‘Thanks,’ she embraced both of them. ‘I was going to have a party for my birthday, but I got caught up in other things.’

‘Well, love, you’ve got a lot on your plate at the moment,’ said Irene.

‘Parties are expensive,’ said Roman.

Don’t rush to encourage me, will you? thought Leah. But she said nothing, because they were both right.

She idly glanced out of the kitchen door and saw Jazz and Tony sitting at a table. She was just about to go out to take their orders, when Jazz leaned over and kissed Tony on the lips, in a more than friendly way.

Leah was shocked. Now what was going on with those two? She hesitated for a split second, then marched over.

‘What would you two like?’ she asked stiffly.

‘I’ll have one of Roman’s wonderful bacon and mushroom omelettes please,’ Jazz was starry eyed and dreamy, and holding Tony’s hand.

‘I’ll have that too.’ Tony looked the same.

‘How long has this been going on?’ asked Leah, even more stiffly.

‘A few weeks,’ said Jazz. ‘We’re finally official.’

‘After all the ups and downs,’ added Tony, smiling.

‘What about Ceri?’ Leah was too cross to be subtle. ‘What does he think?’

‘He’s pleased for us, of course,’ said Jazz.

‘So your relationship with him didn’t last long, did it?’

Jazz gaped.

‘What do you mean? I didn’t have a relationship with him.’

‘Well, what were you talking about in the supermarket that day? And dancing with him at parties. And having a cosy meal with him, Miles and Kirsty that evening?’

‘I think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick, Leah,’ said Jazz.

Leah was in full flow. ‘What about all the times I saw you chatting up Ceri?

‘But that was all it was, Leah. I was just flirting. I’ve always liked Tony.’ She turned to Tony, fluttering her eyelashes. ‘I suppose I was trying to make you jealous.’

‘Well, it worked,’ he admitted.

‘Then you danced with Leah, and it was my turn to be jealous.’

Tony looked so happy that even Leah thawed a bit.

‘Who were you talking about in the supermarket then?’

‘Tony, of course. I thought he was avoiding me.’

‘Oh. I thought you were talking about Ceri.’

‘I did wonder why you suddenly had a go at me.’ Jazz laughed.

‘But what about the meal at Miles’ house? I came round to see Ceri and you were having a dinner party without Tony.’

‘We weren’t. Tony was there that evening. He had just popped home to-‘

‘Sh!’ Tony made a face at her.

‘Popped home to what?’

‘It’s a secret. We can’t tell you now, but we will soon.’ Jazz smiled.

‘So, Tony was there, but I just missed him?’ Leah was confused.

‘Yes! Don’t be so suspicious.’

‘Oh. Sorry.’ Leah wondered what their secret was. Surely they weren’t getting married, or having a baby?

So Ceri isn’t with Jazz, she realised abruptly. My brother was right. Her spirits suddenly lifted and she fell deep into thought.

Leah remained deep in thought for the rest of the day. She automatically cooked, washed up and cleaned at home and even VJ noticed she was far away.

‘Mum?’

So if Ceri isn’t with Jazz, where does that leave me, she thought, cleaning a stubborn bit of egg off a spoon.

‘Mum!’

Could Chris really be right about Ceri liking me? she mused.

‘MUMMY!’

‘Oh!’ She jumped violently. ‘Yes darling?’

‘Can I have some lemon squash? It’s in the treats cupboard.’

‘Oh, yes of course.’ Leah absent-mindedly fetched the squash for him.

VJ realised he was on to a good thing here with his mother so distracted. Maybe she would forget that he was only allowed one glass of squash a day. Maybe even forget the rule about no sweets between meals, if he was lucky.

All the times I thought Ceri and Jazz were together, thought Leah. I just assumed they were, and didn’t even question myself.

‘Can I go to the colouring competition tomorrow Mummy?’ asked VJ.

The competition was to design new logos for the children’s sports club in the bay. It was run by Charlie Harris, who now organised the sports club, so Roman had agreed to let her run it in the diner.

‘Yes, darling.’

I let myself think Jazz was this man eater who no man could resist, but obviously Ceri could resist her. He did say she was scary, remembered Leah.

‘And can I have one of Roman’s pizzas?’

‘Yes, darling.’

‘With all the toppings?’

‘Yes- I mean no! You can’t eat all that, you’ll be sick like last time. Roman will be cross.’ She knew he wouldn’t be, but it wasn’t a very good advert for his food if VJ threw it up.

Even the next day at work she was still thinking about the subject. Now Ceri was ‘single again’, would it be better or worse for her to carry on finding his mother? Or more importantly, had she put him off by slapping him? He had come round to see her the day after, but been warned off by Roman.

She was suddenly brought back to the present by a fight breaking out.

‘He hit me!’ screeched Olly.

‘No I didn’t!’ retorted VJ. ‘I just took my crayon back!’

‘VJ!’ sighed Leah. ‘You mustn’t hurt smaller children.’

‘I didn’t! I-‘

‘Don’t argue, please. You should ask nicely, or tell an adult. Or, get another crayon.’

‘I think they are getting restless,’ said Kirsty. ‘They’ve been very good today really.’

‘They’ve done really well, sitting quietly for so long,’ agreed Charlie. She was cradling Edward happily and Kirsty smiled at her.

‘Thinking of having one of those yourself?’

‘In a little while. Roman still thinks we need time to think about it.’

‘Men, eh?’ said Rachel. ‘Tell him just to get on with it. So to speak.’ They all sniggered.

‘What are you lot all laughing about?’ said Hugh, suddenly appearing behind Rachel. Ceri was following him.

‘Nothing, darling,’ said Rachel, leaning back to be kissed. ‘We were just thinking that the kids need a break from colouring.’

‘Why don’t we go down to the beach?’ suggested Kirsty. ‘Let them run around.’

‘That’s a good idea,’ said Rachel.

A buzz of activity ensued as everyone started clearing up the crayons and papers.

Archived