Roger Federer. The Great (Or not anymore)

Guest ~Dom~

So all of you people would of heard of Roger. He has been number 1 for nearly 4 1/2 years now.

But Federer has already passed his best. After losing to so many people he is definately losing his touch. Losing Wimbledon streak. Losing Aus Open. Failing to win French Open. And losing his number 1 spot this Monday (18 August)

And now losing in the Olympics today against James Blake.

So I am thinking he may make a shock retirement just like Henin did. Maybe after US Open.

Does anyone else think he will retire?

I don't think he should retire. I still think he has alot to give to the game.

I think he hasn't lost his touch but I think Nadal has reach his level. So when Nadal beat him in Wimbledon, the place where he has dominated for so many years Federer took a physiological beating. As well as Nadal beating him at the French open soo easily.

I felt quite bad for him at Wimbledon (but I was still hoping Nadal won) however that had to be the best match I have ever seen!!!!

I think for so many years he has to have this air of invincibility so his opponent was beaten before they played him.

So I think he needs to refocus and play his game. But I don't think he will retire but we will have to wait and see how he plays at the US Open.

Maybe he just needs a break?

I don't think he should retire. I still think he has alot to give to the game.

I think he hasn't lost his touch but I think Nadal has reach his level. So when Nadal beat him in Wimbledon, the place where he has dominated for so many years Federer took a physiological beating. As well as Nadal beating him at the French open soo easily.

I felt quite bad for him at Wimbledon (but I was still hoping Nadal won) however that had to be the best match I have ever seen!!!!

I think for so many years he has to have this air of invincibility so his opponent was beaten before they played him.

So I think he needs to refocus and play his game. But I don't think he will retire but we will have to wait and see how he plays at the US Open.

Maybe he just needs a break?

I agree about the focus thing. I knew from early on in Wimbledon that he wouldn't win, there were pictures of him going to the zoo with Gwen Stafani and Gavin Rossdale and their son during the first week of Wimbledon. He didn't seem to concerned about the competition.

I hope he doesn't retire though, tennis wouldn't be the same without him :P

Yes. He definately did.

It's just, when I saw him lose to James Blake today, he looked so sad. :( Not even at Wimbledon did he look that emotional.

Probably because thats his Olympic career over. When it next comes to London he will be 31 and so probably too old and definately not at his best. Nadal is getting better and better whereas Federer seems to have gone past the peak in his career.

I really wish 7 had better coverage of the Olympics and I could see his matches. I don't think he will retire anytime soon, nor it is downfall from now. I think he still has so much to give and just needs to focus. His Olympic dreams aren't over yet - Switzerland are in the grand final for doubles. I hope he (and his partner) wins, it sounds like Olympic Gold means a lot to him.

Archived